Packers Resign Kevin King - 1 year $6 million

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

There were a fair amount of whispers that Kevin King played hurt in the NFCCG. I guess I can only hope that was really, really true.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:50
There were a fair amount of whispers that Kevin King played hurt in the NFCCG. I guess I can only hope that was really, really true.
IF that is the case, even a little more upset with LaFleur not playing Tramon Williams, coupled with not trying Veldheer at LT.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

WE HAVE TO STOP THE NARRATIVE THAT KING WAS ONLY BAD IN THE NFCCG.

Like please. For real. He grades poorly by so many advanced metrics and the eye test also showed how much he struggled in short areas. Yes, his speed and length typically prevent him from giving up a ton of BIG plays but he gives up constant chain-movers underneath.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:59
WE HAVE TO STOP THE NARRATIVE THAT KING WAS ONLY BAD IN THE NFCCG.

Like please. For real. He grades poorly by so many advanced metrics and the eye test also showed how much he struggled in short areas. Yes, his speed and length typically prevent him from giving up a ton of BIG plays but he gives up constant chain-movers underneath.

Has anyone actually said he was only bad in the NFCCG? However, how about we also stop the narrative that he only played poorly. He had good games and poor games. He was inconsistent with his worst game in the bright of spotlights.

I am not saying this signing is good or bad.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 11:05
Has anyone actually said he was only bad in the NFCCG? However, how about we also stop the narrative that he only played poorly. He had good games and poor games. He was inconsistent with his worst game in the bright of spotlights.

No, I agree with this. He definitely played well sometimes and when he did the whole defense was much better.

But the tweet that said "judging a player by one game is lazy" is what evoked my response, in addition to an overly-concentrated focus on that game when discussing him and his value.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Not a bad deal at all. Draft a couple of kids and make them beat him out for a starting role.

Better the devil you know...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 11:11
Pckfn23 wrote:

No, I agree with this. He definitely played well sometimes and when he did the whole defense was much better.

But the tweet that said "judging a player by one game is lazy" is what evoked my response, in addition to an overly-concentrated focus on that game when discussing him and his value.
I agree with that too, that tweet was dumb.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:50
I don't think it was whispers.

The Injury Report and serious questions of "will Kevin King Play" before the game made it pretty obvious that Kevin King was banged up.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

well I admit to lazily watching King get burned on curls, drags, slants, 7, and 9 routes weekly, I'am a lazy Packer fan :rotf:

how there are times when the ball is thrown to the other side of the field I act like a spring chicken because I know that receiver will be denied a reception, in that respect I'am like most other Packer fans, quality play keeps me alert :aok:

bringing back King for that Money does not seem that smart to me, there where better choices available imho.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I'm not surprised Kevin is back in GB.

I'm not even devastated he is back in GB. I am confused and disappointed he is back in Green Bay at $6 million. I thought his market would be lower. There were other options such as Xavier Rhodes, Troy Hill and Kyle Fuller where I think our money was better spent than the money we are paying for restructure of Preston Smith and Kevin King. Having said that, who knows if those other guys wanted to play in GB.

Now if Smith and King play like they did in 2019...f*cking steal. But I guess we will see.

As for our cornerback group....someone is likely getting cut assuming we draft a CB early.

Josh Jackson has a $2 million cap hit with with $660 in dead cap if he is cut.
Chandon Sullivan ha a $2.13 million cap hit with none of it guaranteed.

The Packers also currently do not have Will Redmond or Raven Greene on the roster. Having no Redmond is a plus for sure.

I still think drafting 2 - 3 DBs is very likely. It would be good to get a guy who has outside ability but also focus on guys who are all around good interior players. We can't be having major liabilities like Will Redmond disasters again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 11:28
YoHoChecko wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

I agree with that too, that tweet was dumb.
I don't think it was dumb. What all of this illustrates is King's unbelievably frustrating ability to be so inconsistent. He has games, or at least moments, that make him look like the player we drafted. Other times he looks so lost or uncaring that he shouldn't even be on a practice squad.

He's going to get another year to show what he has with us. If he plays the same, he's gone. If he improves, likely he'll have a chance to continue improving on another team.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I guess all I'm saying is that an inconsistent player with a high ceiling is still not a very good player. At some point his ceiling stops mattering. I am past the point of caring about his ceiling, but since we held onto him again, all I can do is hope we see more of it. But just because King has flashed high-level success doesn't negate that overall, he's not a good, reliable player to have on our team.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am with gpg that we’ll probably draft at least 2 CBs. We just need that much more than anything else at this point.

I also am not shocked that King is back. I would’ve preferred he was gone. As Andy Herman wrote, “This one stings deep.” But I still thought the Pack would bring him back if the conditions were right. Apparently, 6 M is right.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

So be it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 11:42
I guess all I'm saying is that an inconsistent player with a high ceiling is still not a very good player. At some point his ceiling stops mattering. I am past the point of caring about his ceiling, but since we held onto him again, all I can do is hope we see more of it. But just because King has flashed high-level success doesn't negate that overall, he's not a good, reliable player to have on our team.
A valid point.

An average player who is consistent is better, in my book, than a high-ceiling guy who is erratic. I’ll take the average guy every time.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 11:42
One good thought is maybe Barry can get him to be more consistent??

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Well, resigning King vs going out and getting an FA could have potentially saved us our 4th round comp pick for Linsley. Not insignificant.

I would have preferred Kyler Fuller at 9.5, if he had any interest whatsoever in playing here. Sounds like he was all about going back to Fangio. So don't know if that was ever a possibility.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Appropriate reaction when I first saw the news.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Kings had 4 years to to elevate his game and become consistent, how much of it is do to injury? who cares at this point , we know he's a china doll, always has been, I don't see Kings game changing iota, he has tight hips, and that will always create problems short and he'll continue to be beaten against players of relative speed.

as to King only giving up 1 TD all year, I think it's a faulty stat, how many where charged to the safety, or others that tried to bail him out, had to be a few at least.

I understood keeping Preston cause I do think he simply had a down year, lots of pass rushers did, but thats not the case with King.