Packers Resign Kevin King - 1 year $6 million

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Just a little strange that Troy Hill signs a 2 year deal at $4.5 per year and Desmond King signs a contract at I believe $3.5 million per year and Kevin King gets $6 million.

There better be some incentives in that $6 million number.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

:messedup:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I hope the lack of interest in King scares the crap outta him and motivates him into having a career year...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 14:56
I hope the lack of interest in King scares the crap outta him and motivates him into having a career year...
I would be very happy if Kevin King signs a $15 million dollar per season deal a year from now.

But I'd be even happier if our rookie CB overtakes him and is clearly a stud in the making for us to be excited about the next 6 years.
Last edited by go pak go on 23 Mar 2021 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
23 Mar 2021 12:39
Kings had 4 years to to elevate his game and become consistent, how much of it is do to injury? who cares at this point , we know he's a china doll, always has been, I don't see Kings game changing iota, he has tight hips, and that will always create problems short and he'll continue to be beaten against players of relative speed.

as to King only giving up 1 TD all year, I think it's a faulty stat, how many where charged to the safety, or others that tried to bail him out, had to be a few at least.

I understood keeping Preston cause I do think he simply had a down year, lots of pass rushers did, but thats not the case with King.
Yeah, this signing is a bit on the depressing side. Coming off the 2019 season, it looked as if he was ready to be that solid steady corner the Packers had been waiting for. And then the 2020 season happened. I'll cut him a little slack because of the way Pettine played his corners and gave way too much room, specially on 3rd down.
But his in and out of the lineup, really poor tackling [ sometimes not even sticking his head in the play at all ] and overall dismal effort makes it hard to take. In a contract year no less.
Fingers crossed that a corner or 2 are picked in the draft and show enough to replace him when, not if he goes down with another of his nagging injuries.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

You’ve got to be kidding me.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
23 Mar 2021 15:32
You’ve got to be kidding me.
Quite the questionable move by Gutey and Ball. :nono:

I'd rather draft a CB in the first round and start him as a rookie, than put up with King for another year. 2021 is the window of opportunity year ....... where is a Craig Newsome when we need one. Hopefully in the NFL draft.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 23 Mar 2021 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Just remember there's a "King" in "Kidding."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

King is garbage but we all saw this coming. Packers management are conservative and prefer to be with the devil they know then the devil they don't.

I know rookies don't play or help from what I was told throughout the year so I guess we can expect contributions from our 2nd year players.

Our back up QB, back up RB and back up TE.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Mar 2021 17:59
I'd rather draft a CB in the first round and start him as a rookie, than put up with King for another year.
the flip side is that you cannot go into the draft with a gaping hole at CB2. TT and Gute and many of the GMs grab a guy ahead of the draft so they don't paint themselves into a corner. You don't want to be forced to trade up or take a guy that's lower on your board because you simply have no other options.
The 29th pick in the draft will be getting $12M + guaranteed between bonus/salary. King will get maybe $4-5M+ incentives. King is the floor and a decent value at that number. I know you're down on King, but rookie CBs are no sure thing, some of them bust, some get injured, some take longer.

Betting it all on a drafted CB is a poor bet, hence the hedging with King. They'll settle it on the field in TC, but Gute & Co have to create a competition and King is part of that equation. If he is as bad as you think, he'll get beat in camp -> no harm no foul. If he's not beat in camp, good news, the Packers have more than one viable CB.
IT. IS. TIME

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

BSA wrote:
23 Mar 2021 18:13
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
I'd rather draft a CB in the first round and start him as a rookie, than put up with King for another year.
the flip side is that you cannot go into the draft with a gaping hole at CB2. TT and Gute and many of the GMs grab a guy ahead of the draft so they don't paint themselves into a corner. You don't want to be forced to trade up or take a guy that's lower on your board because you simply have no other options.
The 29th pick in the draft will be getting $12M + guaranteed between bonus/salary. King will get maybe $4-5M+ incentives. King is the floor and a decent value at that number. I know you're down on King, but rookie CBs are no sure thing, some of them bust, some get injured, some take longer.

Betting it all on a drafted CB is a poor bet, hence the hedging with King. They'll settle it on the field in TC, but Gute & Co have to create a competition and King is part of that equation. If he is as bad as you think, he'll get beat in camp -> no harm no foul. If he's not beat in camp, good news, the Packers have more than one viable CB.
That rookie salary number is for the total length of the contract not one year. Kings number is one year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

If that where the case then Gary would have started last year, he didn't because Guty was protecting his investment in Preston, and it'll be the same with KIng over a Draft pick at slot 29 even if he's better then King, which would be any of the top 6 CB's in this class, now I hope I'am wrong about that, and he's not such a egotist, but his track record doesn't say so, Ted was the same way, never willing to admit he made a mistake till the rookie contract was done, it's part of the reason our defense has sucked for a decade, just saying...

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
King is garbage but we all saw this coming. Packers management are conservative and prefer to be with the devil they know then the devil they don't.
This is a false statement under the Guty era.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Yeah I have no problem in having a fallback to the draft. In fact...I was hoping for that. I didn't want a rookie to be forced to start.

I actually don't hate the King signing in and of iself. I just hate the current value if it truly is a 1 year $6 million deal. I just think that is a bad deal where our financial resources could have been used better elsewhere.
Yoop wrote:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 14:56
If we had a defensive line and didn't need ILB help ........... this might scare alot of people.

Do you remember this? Clemson’s Antuan Edwards, 6-foot-1, came off the board at No. 25 overall. Then came 5-foot-11 speedster Fred Vinson of Vanderbilt at No. 47 overall. And finally, 6-foot Mike McKenzie of Memphis at No. 87 overall.

:bkw:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
23 Mar 2021 19:29
bud fox wrote:
disagree
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

YoHoChecko wrote:
23 Mar 2021 10:59
WE HAVE TO STOP THE NARRATIVE THAT KING WAS ONLY BAD IN THE NFCCG.

Like please. For real. He grades poorly by so many advanced metrics and the eye test also showed how much he struggled in short areas. Yes, his speed and length typically prevent him from giving up a ton of BIG plays but he gives up constant chain-movers underneath.
Then it should be fairly easy to find an upgrade over him. NFL draft, here we come.

Turk's B.B.C.
Reactions:

Post by Turk's B.B.C. »

King of the shoulder-butt tackle. Musta had to cut into lunch line a lot. Nerve-wracking to watch. I hope the contract is mostly incentives. However, l trust Gut
e and Ball on this one.
It tells us a lot about the available CBs. Also, the devil you know is often better than the devil you don't.
The proof is in the pudding, as Ted would say!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 20:45
go pak go wrote:
bud fox wrote:
disagree
Zadarius Smith. Preston Smith. Adrian Amos. Billy Turner. Rick Wagner. Christian Kirksey. Mercedes Lewis. Jimmy Graham. Muhammad Wilkerson. Beshaud Breeland. Ibraheim Campbell. Snacks Harrison. Tevon Austin. Tyler Ervin.

2021 has been an anomaly of no outside free agents.

Each year under Gute the Packers have pushed for veteran signgings outside of the organization and even largerr name FA's. This is also not including significant offers made to Allen Robinson and Kyle Fuller.

Brian Gutenkust is not Ted Thompson. 2021 is the first year we have only gone with "familiar names".
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
23 Mar 2021 21:42
Drj820 wrote:
23 Mar 2021 20:45
go pak go wrote:

disagree
Zadarius Smith. Preston Smith. Adrian Amos. Billy Turner. Rick Wagner. Christian Kirksey. Mercedes Lewis. Jimmy Graham. Muhammad Wilkerson. Beshaud Breeland. Ibraheim Campbell. Snacks Harrison. Tevon Austin. Tyler Ervin.

2021 has been an anomaly of no outside free agents.

Each year under Gute the Packers have pushed for veteran signgings outside of the organization and even largerr name FA's. This is also not including significant offers made to Allen Robinson and Kyle Fuller.

Brian Gutenkust is not Ted Thompson. 2021 is the first year we have only gone with "familiar names".
I dont really see anything on your list that makes Buds position a false statement. The Smiths, Amos, and Turner were risks in that they were big contracts..but heaven and earth wasnt moved to make the deals. We had tons of cap space because we let alot of guys walk who stunk.

The signings of Wagner, Kirksey, Lewis, Wilkerson, Breeland, Campbell, Snacks, Tavon, and Ervin were all extremely conservative answers to roster issues that we had. They were all wire guys or very low risk. There wasnt anything about those moves that were whatever the opposite of conservative would be. We had some cap space like well run teams do, and we made deals that we could get out of to fill some spots.

We kept Jimmy an extra year, we brought back Preston after a bad year, we brought back king, we paid Crosby a ton for a kicker who cant kick it out of the back of the end zone, and we even paid Aaron Jones instead of going shopping for cheaper...all because like bud said, we prefer to dance with guys that we know...i dont blame them for that btw. We have brought back a lot of guys I am pleased we brought back.

But we had one big spending spree in a year we had tons of cap space, we havent made many splashes since, there was cap to be played with this year and we decided to not play with it so that we can just bring back king. We have had opportunities to move up in drafts and we have chosen to stay put. We have drafted guys that we intend to use a couple of years down the line...

Firing a ST coach and promoting from within to fill the spot is keeping with what ya know.

All fine things to do by the way, but certainly all things "Conservative management" does, like Bud said.
Last edited by Drj820 on 23 Mar 2021 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23