Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:06
And have no recollection of people wanting Ted's head for drafting Rodgers.
:shock: :rotf:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:05
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:28

Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

Dude was at least 10 rows back.
The rumors are that the Colts were trying to come up to get him and we moved instead.

Plenty of people thought he was a very high-level prospect. He's been compared by many to Mahomes. It's perfectly fine to hate the pick, but don't act like he isn't a high caliber player with incredible arm talent. He's a pure talent prospect. The player is not the problem here.
Nowhere am I saying Love isn't talented. Purely from the circumstances... this wasn't even in the discussion. Not even with any of the media or draft heads. As Rodgers continued to fall and fall, everyone was talking the Packers up possibly taking him. Or should take him. Talent on the coaching staff and rosters, were just completely different.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:08
TheGreenMan wrote:
Memory must be short, but I don't.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

why does this team despise with a hatred my favorite position on the field...the inside linebacker?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

So y’all have any info on the player or are we gonna sit here and pout all night? I hope he outplays Aaron- for the sake of the team. The QB position has held us back for consecutive years.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:10
why does this team despise with a hatred my favorite position on the field...the inside linebacker?
It's the type of defense we run.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

Favre, maybe. Rodgers, definitely made more and more sense to me as he fell from literally the top of the draft. You weren't wanting a QB going into that draft until he was smack dab right in front of you. Love wasn't in front of anyone but Gute.

The rumors are that the Colts were trying to come up to get him and we moved instead.

Plenty of people thought he was a very high-level prospect. He's been compared by many to Mahomes. It's perfectly fine to hate the pick, but don't act like he isn't a high caliber player with incredible arm talent. He's a pure talent prospect. The player is not the problem here.
Spoken very well, thank you. Look, I don't even like the pick and also hated the fact that a trade up was required. Everyone is focusing on this tiny window of 2, 3, 4, 5 years, when we very well could be having this exact same argument a decade and a half from now if this works out. Rodgers is 35 and Love is 20. Father time is undefeated. Sooner or later, time is going to run out on Aaron. At least this way, a decision can be made on our terms... just as it was with Rodgers.

I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know how this will work out neatly for everyone... it probably won't, but I am very confused how no one can acknowledge the benefits if this hits.

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:25
Did we acquire Favre or Rodgers in moves that made sense at the time.

:censored: no.

We traded the 19th overall pick for a drunk of a second rounder who did nothing in his rookie season, except throw half of his 4 throws to the other team.

We picked a guy with the 24th pick with zero need at QB. Destined to be another Jeff Tedford -coached failure.

Us trading up and picking Love makes no sense to me, but neither did acquiring Favre and Rodgers.
I don't think we really gave up much to move up 4 spots. If they feel Love is a future franchise QB then I can see why they made this move.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Feel like i got punched in the stomach.

btw, good questions at presser, Gutey squirreled his way through them unimpressively.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
Everyone was set to riot if we picked defense again... so we went offense.

:lol:

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:12
Drj820 wrote:

RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
So y’all have any info on the player or are we gonna sit here and pout all night? I hope he outplays Aaron- for the sake of the team. The QB position has held us back for consecutive years.
im here to pout for the night, bud.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

There were comments made about trading for Moss that we could just trade Rodgers for Moss. They were legit.

Love...will see. :idn:
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Yeah, TT got A LOT of heat for drafting AR.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:13
NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:12
Drj820 wrote:

that is very funny. Good post.

Greenman, i think a nice ILB would be perfect for this D and help them not get destroyed by the niners in the playoffs, but thats just me. I think its more to do with our DC than the actual Defense. But thank you for trying to answer my Q.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:11
YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:

Spoken very well, thank you. Look, I don't even like the pick and also hated the fact that a trade up was required. Everyone is focusing on this tiny window of 2, 3, 4, 5 years, when we very well could be having this exact same argument a decade and a half from now if this works out. Rodgers is 35 and Love is 20. Father time is undefeated. Sooner or later, time is going to run out on Aaron. At least this way, a decision can be made on our terms... just as it was with Rodgers.

I don't have a crystal ball and I don't know how this will work out neatly for everyone... it probably won't, but I am very confused how no one can acknowledge the benefits if this hits.
It's going to be what it is NCF. And once again, nowhere do I think Love isn't a talented guy.... just considering the what the team looks like currently, what we did last year to help put us over the top. It just looks like Gute actually channeled a little bit of Ted here and made sure we're also set us up for the future (usually not a problem with me at all). I'm just hungry to win now, and we looked like we were going to be showing that aggressive approach still. Maybe we will, long draft ahead.. just very disappointed with what was left on the board

-Coming from a guy who believes this team is only a couple of pieces away from a ring (despite Gute not believing in that thought process).
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Captain_Ben wrote:
Tomorrow will hopefully be more productive. It's late. Most have full bellies of alcohol. We're shocked and we're emotional. I'm off to bed.

Read More. Post Less.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:47
Serious question though:

Would Rodgers be a better mentor than Favre?

If we're honest with ourselves, I don't think so. We're bias as fans go, but rumor or not... I just do not see Rodgers in that role at all.
Someone asked AR how he would feel if GB takes a QB and he said he'd treat that kid a hell of lot better than Favre did to him.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Wow, guys. Way to draft an impact player for this year. Now if he works out 3-4 years from now.............

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:15
YoHoChecko wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
Yeah, TT got A LOT of heat for drafting AR.
Must have been in a coma. I'm sure their was dislike, but I don't remember a lot of heat strictly for drafting Rodgers. Ted just always got heat for every pick and lack of FA move it seems... blending everything all together.

Regardless. That Favre/Sherman roster was going nowhere.
RIP JustJeff