General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:39
i actually like Lancaster over Lowry when money is factored in so im happy with this, but coming back for under the tinder indicates to me he didnt get much interest. Which is telling.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:46
go pak go wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:44
paco wrote:
30 Mar 2021 09:39
There is our defensive lineman free agent signing.
He's a solid resigning. Not an impact player by any means, but he graded out fairly well. Hopefully he's not thrust into a lot of snaps, but a nice guy to have around.
Yeah I think his value is really good.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

paco wrote:
He's a solid resigning.
Lancaster is the floor that allows you to going into the draft without being forced to jump the board to satisfy a need
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
30 Mar 2021 11:05
paco wrote:
He's a solid resigning.
Lancaster is the floor that allows you to going into the draft without being forced to jump the board to satisfy a need
Come on Draft Gods. Get me Jay Tufele. :pray:
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

from Twitter:

Among 108 WRs, Allen Lazard ranks as the highest graded (85.8) run blocker since 2019.
IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BSA wrote:
01 Apr 2021 13:58
from Twitter:

Among 108 WRs, Allen Lazard ranks as the highest graded (85.8) run blocker since 2019.
This!

And that is Reason #1 why no rookie WR is going to take his job. Reason #2 is that Rodgers trusts Lazard.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
01 Apr 2021 14:30
BSA wrote:
from Twitter:

This!

And that is Reason #1 why no rookie WR is going to take his job. Reason #2 is that Rodgers trusts Lazard.
I don't think anyone expects a rookie to take the job of MVS or Lazard.

At least I sure don't.
Yoop wrote:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
01 Apr 2021 15:48
TheSkeptic wrote:
BSA wrote:
from Twitter:

This!

At least I sure don't.
I think Skeptic's post was in reference to the continued arguments regarding a certain WR we didn't trade up to draft last year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
01 Apr 2021 19:24
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

This!

At least I sure don't.
I think Skeptic's post was in reference to the continued arguments regarding a certain WR we didn't trade up to draft last year.
:lol: Ah.

Yeah that receiver would have absolutely taken over Lazard's role after he went down with injury week 3. No question about that.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
01 Apr 2021 19:24
go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:

This!

At least I sure don't.
ya he means the one who had 1400 yrds and was rookie of the year, is this a april fools joke? ahhh folks we got a winner :thwap:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Blocking and a we who can't catch would keep a first round wr out lol so Jefferson wouldnt be our 2? Just ridiculous

Lazard is basically Ruvell Martin 2.0.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
02 Apr 2021 00:26
Blocking and a we who can't catch would keep a first round wr out lol so Jefferson wouldnt be our 2? Just ridiculous

Lazard is basically Ruvell Martin 2.0.
Thats a little disrespectful to Lazard. Hes way better than Martin ever was. I think Lazard is good enough for a 3rd option if we can get a better #2. Kind of like when we had Air Jordy and Cobb and a young Adams was the #3 WR.

But yes to me Lazard does not get open enough considering the amount of resources a defense puts into stopping Adams. MVS does well enough exploiting those weaknesses he just isnt consistent enough at the catch point. I do believe this is another one of those years we need to look to WR in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop that guy to eventually take over as the Packers top dog. Adams is 28 and you have to expect a 4 year deal incoming whether thats an extension or signing him back as a free agent making him 32 by the end of his next deal. At that point it will be time to walk away and move on with the next guy.

Taking one in the 1st round though I think doesnt give us the value it could if we didnt have a true dominant WR. Unless Chase or Waddle is there I dont see a guy worth taking although I wouldnt be opposed to Marshall. I would be a little underwhelmed with Toney or Bateman.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

What Lupe said...

Ruvell Martin was probably not even an average WR. He had his purposes and he had some good moments, for sure. But on a normal day, he would/should never be more than a WR3.

Lazard kicks keester as a blocker. He moves the chains plenty. He gets open on a number of deep patterns. And he produces enough in the RZ (a remarkable achievement considering how much Rogers zeroes in on Adams close to the EZ). Lazard can easily be a WR2 on almost any team. Sure, he doesn't get open enough. But dare I say it, even Jordy had stretches when he disappeared.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

You can’t take away Lazard’s intangibles from him. He would offer those positive contributions everywhere, but pure WR and getting open and catching the ball...Rodgers contributes a lot to who he is BC Rodgers throws it to him when he’s not super open and Lazard rewards Rodgers for that by catching the ball often.

Most QBs would not be throwing it to Lazard as much as 12 does.

Also, little kork kousin made Jefferson a star, let’s not kid ourselves, Rodgers would have made that guy look like Randy Moss. Easy our #2 WR if the coach decided to play him and not just neuter him BC he’s a rookie.

We overinflate our own guys a lot. Lazard is a good football player, but Rodgers earns many of these guys a paycheck. Jefferson is a star anywhere.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

being a great blocker as a receiver is a side attraction, no one drafts receivers to be great blockers and we don't have a #2 receiver, just because they play that spot doesn't mean they are one.

I agree AR maximizes the talent he has to work with, only Adams could go elsewhere and excel, the rest might flounder.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
02 Apr 2021 08:16
being a great blocker as a receiver is a side attraction, no one drafts receivers to be great blockers and we don't have a #2 receiver, just because they play that spot doesn't mean they are one.

I agree AR maximizes the talent he has to work with, only Adams could go elsewhere and excel, the rest might flounder.
That's sort of true but also just NOT true about MLF or even McVey.

You need to do things other than block as a WR, but you also have to be able to block. Or at least willing. MLF goes nuts talking about MVS' persistence in downfield blocking, running with the plays and getting himself in the way. We're a team that asks a lot of our receivers. And so yes, it is the "side job," it's also an important one. That's why I like guys in this draft like Dyami Brown and Amon-Ra St Brown. They aren't the biggest guys, but they will get after the DBs and get in the way.

It's an important part of our offense and worth scouting for. And it'll keep Lazard on the field a lot more than he might be for other teams.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Apr 2021 08:35
Yoop wrote:

You need to do things other than block as a WR, but you also have to be able to block. Or at least willing. MLF goes nuts talking about MVS' persistence in downfield blocking, running with the plays and getting himself in the way. We're a team that asks a lot of our receivers. And so yes, it is the "side job," it's also an important one. That's why I like guys in this draft like Dyami Brown and Amon-Ra St Brown. They aren't the biggest guys, but they will get after the DBs and get in the way.

It's an important part of our offense and worth scouting for. And it'll keep Lazard on the field a lot more than he might be for other teams.
agreed, I didn't mean to down play the importance of it, WR should block for the runner, and obviously some are much better then others at it, I have my doubts that college stresses it as much as we have to in the pro game, imo a receivers job is to sell the pass, then set themselves up to block for the run, didn't mean to imply that blocking isn't important, just that it comes second to there main skill set.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
It's an important part of our offense and worth scouting for.
Given some of the responses, it appears that some fans kinda look down their noses at the blocking component - but its really an integral part of the foundation of MLFs offense. In the case of Lazard, there was a play last year that showed it perfectly- the DB was used to Lazard blocking his ass, so he bit on the play fake - only to watch Lazard run by him for a TD pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6CLSWZQZeQ

One of the biggest values of a TE is that the defense doesn't know if they are staying in to block or go out for a pass - and that hesitation & delay gives the advantage to the TE. Same thing here. Typically, a WR does one thing and the defense covers that one thing - but when you add the blocking component to it - that stresses the defense. The WR blocking helps both the passing game and the running game and that is at the core of the MLF offense - runs and passes look the same - both pre-snap and immediately thereafter.

The other thing about WRs like Lazard is that the MLF offense creates the separation for them - you don't always need them to be a burner to get open. In 2020, the separation was as good as its ever been, I've seen some stats that showed it was the most WR separation since the 2011 season. That 2011 WR crew was spectacular, but the MLF scheme with rubs, mesh, route concepts and confusion all lead to similar layup passes for AR.

So MLF has re-created the potency of the 2011 offense... without needing a stable of elite athletes. And a big part of that is having the WRs block
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
02 Apr 2021 08:59
YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

agreed, I didn't mean to down play the importance of it, WR should block for the runner, and obviously some are much better then others at it, I have my doubts that college stresses it as much as we have to in the pro game, imo a receivers job is to sell the pass, then set themselves up to block for the run, didn't mean to imply that blocking isn't important, just that it comes second to there main skill set.
And I don't really blame WRs for not wanting to block right? Or not put the effort into it. Like WRs get paid to catch balls and make yards. So as a player, you will hone your craft at what gets your paid. Davante Adams is the team's worst blocking WR. I don't think we really care that he isn't good at it. Or sometimes even tries at it.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2021 11:24
Yoop wrote:
02 Apr 2021 08:59
YoHoChecko wrote:

And I don't really blame WRs for not wanting to block right? Or not put the effort into it. Like WRs get paid to catch balls and make yards. So as a player, you will hone your craft at what gets your paid. Davante Adams is the team's worst blocking WR. I don't think we really care that he isn't good at it. Or sometimes even tries at it.
sorta like asking a pocket passer to become a option runner, yep, what your good at should be your true love, perfect it, and to hell with all the rest :lol: I'am sure thats the mindset of many elite positional players, specially WR's, as a recovering TE lol obviously Lazard was tutored lots concerning blocking technique, WR in college receive less of that, so they have to develop it here, wheres the time to do that with the cut back with organized drills, most of our guys seem to try hard with downfield blocking, Adams just gives it a 5 finger salute, if that doesn't do it, oh well :lol: