2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Apr 2021 10:27
go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2021 09:56
I think the bigger news was your nugget about St Juste at MN"s Pro Day. So you're telling me the guy does have hips and agility.
I'm optimistic but apprehensive. He feels SO MUCH like Kevin King. The value would be better if he's an early day three obviously. But King also had questions about the fluidity on film and then crushed the agility drills, alleviated those concerns to that extent, and then never played like it.

The differences to me are 1) tackling; St-Juste gets rave reviews both for tackling and general physicality, which is 2) King always had the potential as a press-man, but he hadn't (iirc), in college, really shown the physical style of play and remember early in his career talk by the DB coaches about getting him to play more physically; and 3) top-end speed for King gave him a higher ceiling than St-Juste may have (which also hasn't shown up as often as he gets beaten deep without showing a ton of recovery speed *burst*

So I'm thinking if St-Juste's physicality and c.o.d. allow him to play inside where the "fine-but-not-great" speed can be covered up a bit more. Where-as King and other "long" CBs like Josh Jackson never seem to fit inside well unless it's a TE matchup or something.
Yeah early Day 3 and even Late Day 2 is still not horrible if he turns out to be a Kevin King who can tackle. We could absolutely live with that.

Do you get the feeling that Paulson Adebo is another Josh Jackson? I worry about that. Big. Physical. Great Ball production. I feel like it's spring 2018 all over again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2021 11:58
Yeah early Day 3 and even Late Day 2 is still not horrible if he turns out to be a Kevin King who can tackle. We could absolutely live with that.

Do you get the feeling that Paulson Adebo is another Josh Jackson? I worry about that. Big. Physical. Great Ball production. I feel like it's spring 2018 all over again.
It's tricky, right? Like we drafted King and Jackson for a reason--the traits and things they possessed had an appeal to our team leadership and scouts. Because neither worked out particularly well, we're all going to be a little apprehensive, but we can't really stray away from long, physical CBs as a result. I mean, I'm still turned off whenever I hear "grabby" because of Ahmad Carroll, and maybe that's wise, but maybe "every-CB-except-Jaire-has-underwhelmed" has left us with no good prospect options that won't remind us of a draft disappointment or bust.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Apr 2021 12:05
go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2021 11:58

It's tricky, right? Like we drafted King and Jackson for a reason--the traits and things they possessed had an appeal to our team leadership and scouts. Because neither worked out particularly well, we're all going to be a little apprehensive, but we can't really stray away from long, physical CBs as a result. I mean, I'm still turned off whenever I hear "grabby" because of Ahmad Carroll, and maybe that's wise, but maybe "every-CB-except-Jaire-has-underwhelmed" has left us with no good prospect options that won't remind us of a draft disappointment or bust.
I know. And then I look at Asante Samuel Jr, who I love, but is it only because I love Asante because Jaire was such a homerun of a selection?

My honest thought on Asante is I really want him. Like I am all on board to take him with our first pick. But if we take him, I think we do need either a Kelvin Joseph, Adebo, St Juste, That Syracuse kid that is impossible to spell as well.

I love guys like Samuel because he and Jaire now give us incredible flexibility by having two CBs who can slot or outside. It is why I think Samuel is becoming my Number 1 draft crush again. But we can't just leave the draft with Samuel. I think we need a guy in the slot and a bigger guy. Teams will figure out how to beat us if we have nothing but sub 5' 11" guys at our corner spots.

I think if I had to rank right now:

1. Newsome (ain't happening)
2. Samuel Jr.
3. Syrcacuse kid not named Trill
4. Kelvin Joseph
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Why isn't Newsome happening [mention]go pak go[/mention] ?
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
02 Apr 2021 13:29
Why isn't Newsome happening @go pak go ?
I would be very, very surprised if he falls to 29. I think we have to trade up for him. And I would gladly do it if it is only a few spots.

I love Newsome. I think he brings the best of every CB world to us. His injuries are a concern, but he is basically a 6 foot Alexander when I watch him. I think he is for sure the 4th CB to go off the board and maybe the 3rd and usually that ends up meaning he won't fall to us.

That's why I am not getting my hopes up on him.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2021 14:23
paco wrote:
I would be very, very surprised if he falls to 29. I think we have to trade up for him. And I would gladly do it if it is only a few spots.

I love Newsome. I think he brings the best of every CB world to us. His injuries are a concern, but he is basically a 6 foot Alexander when I watch him. I think he is for sure the 4th CB to go off the board and maybe the 3rd and usually that ends up meaning he won't fall to us.

Ok, wasn't sure if you forgot that we can trade up! I can easily see Gutey trying to shoot up the board and maybe try to grab 2 1st rounders again this year. Though a little harder not having that higher 1st round pick to start with.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Penei Sewell has short arms. Gonna drop to 29, mark it down.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
02 Apr 2021 14:39
Over 33 is short now? :messedup:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
02 Apr 2021 14:32
go pak go wrote:
02 Apr 2021 14:23
paco wrote:

Ok, wasn't sure if you forgot that we can trade up! I can easily see Gutey trying to shoot up the board and maybe try to grab 2 1st rounders again this year. Though a little harder not having that higher 1st round pick to start with.
Yeah I don't think we have two first rounders. It is just REALLY rich to from 62 to 30/31 area. We would have to give up a next year pick to do it.

But I do really like Newsome which I know sounds boring because the Green Beat Media is all about it, but he has the size, he has the twitch, he has the hips, he has the mentality.

I think he is the perfect corner for us who can play both slot and outside and do it well.
Yoop wrote:

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Apologies if this tweet has already surfaced on the board.

The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Apr 2021 14:41
paco wrote:
02 Apr 2021 14:39
Over 33 is short now? :messedup:
It's not "elite" length, but Bulaga sure did fine with the same. You know how Twitter can be. Would love it of true.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
01 Apr 2021 18:45
I’m not the biggest Bateman fan and further don’t like those numbers, especially at a proday.

Don’t think he makes my top 50ish
:idn:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Bateman really reminds me of AJ Brown from Ole Miss who went to the Titans.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
02 Apr 2021 20:05
Bateman really reminds me of AJ Brown from Ole Miss who went to the Titans.
Not as thick, but I like it.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Just putting it out there that I really hope people post a comprehensive big board before draft day.

Those are essential for non college followers like me to enjoy the draft (my favourite weekend of the season). Following along and crossing off the names is so much fun and it really gives you a sense of where the value might be at certain positions over the weekend.

I know [mention]Waldo[/mention] used to do them and last year there were a couple of other good ones.

Just wanted to flag this early. Many thanks from across the pond.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I think I am going to buy the Cheesehead TV draft guide this year. Andy Herman is a stud. I won't share it here because Andy deserves to get paid for his work, but I will post insights I get from getting it.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
03 Apr 2021 17:43
I think I am going to buy the Cheesehead TV draft guide this year. Andy Herman is a stud. I won't share it here because Andy deserves to get paid for his work, but I will post insights I get from getting it.
Man just release it. Stick it to the man.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

go pak go wrote:
Only problem with this is that I think they just do a top 100. In my view that isn't really a big board.

I want it broken down into tiers. That's how the pros do it. And it gives a much better overview of the draft and a snapshot at any time where the remaining depth positions are.

Also, a top 100 only barely gets you through the first 3 rounds. The real fun, and value, of a big board kicks in on day 3.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Apr 2021 19:09
go pak go wrote:
Man just release it. Stick it to the man.
Yeah because those guys are corporate pigs.

Absolutely not. They are the only good media that provides us analysis at training camp and during the season. Herman especially.

We need to support that financially or else we are stuck with Jason Wilde's updates of what songs MLF is playing during practice.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

British wrote:
03 Apr 2021 19:19
go pak go wrote:
Only problem with this is that I think they just do a top 100. In my view that isn't really a big board.

I want it broken down into tiers. That's how the pros do it. And it gives a much better overview of the draft and a snapshot at any time where the remaining depth positions are.

Also, a top 100 only barely gets you through the first 3 rounds. The real fun, and value, of a big board kicks in on day 3.
I mean they are out there. But they are probably pretty crappy. Hopefully we can all work together to put a list for draft day.

Here is a start. The thing is we need to breakdown film, scouting reports and Pro Days data ourselves so we can determine targets we like as fits for the Packers.

But I think the most challenging thing this year is the significant variation of grades. Like Pff below has Kelvin Joseph outside the top 100. Where others have him a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl ... -big-board
Yoop wrote: