Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Apr 2021 08:32
In the first year with a new coach (though the QB had worked with the coach 2 years prior), the Panthers lost almost all their games by one score or less. Any sort of 2nd year system jump (or hop) by Bridgewater would lead to a pretty large W/L swing. Bridgewater still has 2 years left on his contract.

So to me this is a year early. Drafting a guy makes sense, sure, because Teddy can remain the starter and you can groom. But trading for Darnold creates an immediate starter expectation and now you just have 2 QBs who might not be that good, but could get better.

I dunno. If I'm the Panthers, I'm going Teddy TwoGloves and Davis Mills or Kellen Mond on Day Two; maybe Kyle Trask. Give them a year to learn on the bench and see what Teddy can do. If Bridewater improves by a leap, you stick with him one more year. If he stays about the same, you dump him. Darnold feels like that compromise middle ground deal that actually just sticks you in the mediocre middle.
NO way they keep Bridgewater. They will try to trade him if they can. But I don't see good things coming out of a QB room with both of them in there.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

They've given Bridgewater permission to seek a trade. No chance he stays.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

paco wrote:
06 Apr 2021 12:07
Panthers essentially giving a former 3rd overall pick a chance to show his struggles were due to the sucky supporting cast. If not, easy to move on. Pretty pricey tryout, but getting QBs is tough.

The Jets will again throw a rookie into the fire with little chance at early success. Yikes!

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

paco wrote:
06 Apr 2021 12:07
He will go somewhere and be successful while the Panthers will suck another year. The Panther lost 8 games by one TD or less last year. Changing QB's won't help that. They gave up an average of 30 ppg in those 11 losses. Darnold can't change that.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Gio Bernard cut.

That is someone I'd be interested in for vet minimum.

I'm quite confident that our 48 million dollar man will tear an ACL this summer.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
07 Apr 2021 08:55
Gio Bernard cut.

That is someone I'd be interested in for vet minimum.

I'm quite confident that our 48 million dollar man will tear an ACL this summer.
:box: :nono:
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'd much rather draft a cheap, receiving-oriented RB on day three than sign Gio Bernard. The draft pick solves the short-term need and will still maintain a roster spot, if earned, beyond Jones' likely 2-year deal.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2021 09:17
I'd much rather draft a cheap, receiving-oriented RB on day three than sign Gio Bernard. The draft pick solves the short-term need and will still maintain a roster spot, if earned, beyond Jones' likely 2-year deal.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 11:56
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2021 09:17
Felton might actually move back to slot receiver instead of RB, as he practiced almost exclusively there at the Senior Bowl. But he'd be a nice later-round option who can be used for either purpose.

I still don't understand (aside from some character questions) why Kylin Hill isn't better-regarded. That guy screams Jamaal Williams replacement to me, in terms of a solid rusher, pass protector, and plus receiver out of the backfield, with the potential upside to be more than that. Jamal Williams went in the 4th; Hill is a better version of that and barely seems on anyone's radar.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Not good.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

^^ which is why UCLA moved him to RB :lol:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2021 12:57
^^ which is why UCLA moved him to RB :lol:
Someone posted his RB RAS as well. Only slightly better, like 1.09 or something.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
07 Apr 2021 12:49
Not good.
Yeah I didn't expect him to grade well at all so I am not too surprised. I mean that is pretty bad but athleticism was never his strong suite. It's why I have him in that 6th round + range.

But he did make a lot of plays and he is also good at catching the ball in the backfield.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's fun how the draft goes where in the late rounds, you're generally looking for those unathletic players who have the intangibles, football IQ, and role to stick in the league... or absolute athletic dynamos without the demonstrated football IQ, instincts, or experience to have proven themselves. Both sometimes work out. Neither often do.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2021 14:47
It's fun how the draft goes where in the late rounds, you're generally looking for those unathletic players who have the intangibles, football IQ, and role to stick in the league... or absolute athletic dynamos without the demonstrated football IQ, instincts, or experience to have proven themselves. Both sometimes work out. Neither often do.
Yeah Andy Herman did an episode of recapping the Packers draft picks by round during the 2010's. So 10 years of data.

Let's just say overall, those 6th and 7th round picks are worthless shot in the dark hail mary's.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 16:11
YoHoChecko wrote:
Yeah Andy Herman did an episode of recapping the Packers draft picks by round during the 2010's. So 10 years of data.

Let's just say overall, those 6th and 7th round picks are worthless shot in the dark hail mary's.
ya find a Tausher or Shields and ya drink Champaigne for a week :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

So reports are multiple teams interested in Teddy Bridgewater.

If true, who might be interested in taking on that salary? Could see the Saints wanting him, but not on his contract.

Would imagine the Jets would have already got him last trade.

Jags? Eagles? Broncos? Bears? Dolphins? Steelers? Patriots?

Don’t feel like any of those teams really make sense though either.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Patriots, Bears, and the WFT should be in on this for sure. Not sure why you'd say they don't really make sense.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I see the Pats and WFT grabbing a QB in this draft. Bridgewater's only shot starting anywhere might be Denver.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 Apr 2021 19:38
go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 16:11
YoHoChecko wrote:

ya find a Tausher or Shields and ya drink Champaigne for a week :lol:
Shields was in the more successful group, UDFA's. (honestly our UDFA's are more successful it seems than 6th and 7th rounders).

Donald Driver and Tauscher are the shining examples, but that is not this decade. ;)
Yoop wrote: