2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I liked Davante ; )

I mean I didn't love him and think he was going to be the best WR in football.
image.png
image.png (133.94 KiB) Viewed 467 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 16:10
The only WR I believe I actually knew and targeted before the draft was Randle Cobb. Otherwise every WR we ever talked about on here was never picked. I think EQSB was another WR that we talked about on a forum and actually picked.

But I didn't know Jennings. I didn't know Jones, Nelson, Adams. And maybe it was because I wasn't as savvy and the info wasn't as available back then. But I just didn't know any of em.
Hahaha, Cobb and EQSB... sooo the receivers I wouldn't shut up about.

I did know about Adams. I hadn't looked much into him, but he went around where he was expected to go. I didn't know Jennings, either. Jordy Nelson I knew just fine, but I was SO adamant that we needed Desean Jackson that it took me 4 years to forgive that pick. James Jones I had never heard of at all. I spent half of that day thinking we had taken that other J Jones who was a kick returner for the Texans and Ravens for a few years, who I loved as a sleeper and was excited about. Then I saw it was James with a 4.57 40 and was underwhelmed. That was also the pick I had wanted to trade for Randy Moss, so the contrast was tough for me to swallow.

But yeah, TT picked a lot of WRs a liiittle earlier than people expected them to go who weren't super well known to fans that worked out much better than anyone could have anticipated. But the team was also patient with them. Adams and Jordy both looked ROUGH through the first two years of their careers, for instance.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 Apr 2021 16:10
Yoop wrote:
07 Apr 2021 16:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2021 15:10

The whole "1st round receiver" thing is a really silly talking point when there have been 4 Pro Bowl WRs for the Packers taken in the second round in Rodgers' career (Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, and Adams). You don't NEED a first round WR when you're batting 1.000 in the second round.

The Packers could have taken WR Devin Smith (picked 37th) in the 2015 draft instead of CB Damarius Randall and we would have "taken a first round WR for Rodgers" and the team would be no better off. They could have taken WR Zay Jones (37th) in 2017 instead of trading back for King and would have been worse off. Or maybe N'Keal Harry (32nd) in 2019 instead of trading up for Savage (much worse off).

Taking a WR in the first round is not the mark of whether or not the team/QB has good receivers. How good their receivers are is the mark. And it's really tough to argue with the results of Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, and Adams. It would be difficult to find a team that has drafted better WRs in the first few rounds in the past 15 years than that.
good point, I should have added that Ted's 2nd round WR have been better then most first rounders, more importantly though is that we havn't taken one of them in the last 6 years either, time to restock that position, either one of Toney or Bateman would do obviously, both though could be gone when we pick, from what I saw there are a few slot receivers later that sound interesting, we'll see.
Honest question.

Were there any Wide Receivers that you actually knew about before Ted Thompson selected them in the 2nd/3rd round?

The only WR I believe I actually knew and targeted before the draft was Randle Cobb. Otherwise every WR we ever talked about on here was never picked. I think EQSB was another WR that we talked about on a forum and actually picked.

But I didn't know Jennings. I didn't know Jones, Nelson, Adams. And maybe it was because I wasn't as savvy and the info wasn't as available back then. But I just didn't know any of em.
not really, well Jennings went to western mich and I saw him play a couple games, but he wasn't really on my radar, Cobb, but we needed a slot receiver, so I think a few of us here where aware of him, Early Thompson surprised a lot of us with his early picks, least he surprised me, the Harrell pick floored me, and I ended up being right, great talent, but china doll.

Raji was a no brainer with the 34 switch, had to have a big nose tackle, but I never thought he'd trade back in to the first for Mathews, he was my fav in that draft class, for once Ted and I where on the same page, but I think that might be the only time :lol:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BF004 wrote:
07 Apr 2021 16:30
I liked Davante ; )

I mean I didn't love him and think he was going to be the best WR in football.

image.png
I liked him a lot. I had a 1st-Round grade on him and had him mocked to us in one version in the 1st. I remember Justis roasting me for it.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I feel like I really liked Jordan Matthews in that class... I must've liked Jarvis Landry since I drafted him in dynasty, but I don't remember having strong opinions on these guys. Probably because our team had 3-4 really good receivers on the roster at the time :lol: :mrgreen:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Apr 2021 20:54
I feel like I really liked Jordan Matthews in that class... I must've liked Jarvis Landry since I drafted him in dynasty, but I don't remember having strong opinions on these guys. Probably because our team had 3-4 really good receivers on the roster at the time :lol: :mrgreen:
I loved both OBJ and Landry a ton.

Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans I never loved, but got the hype and didn’t find reasons to ever not like them.

Think I was big on Cooks and Cody Latimer too. Matt Hazel was a late round crush, really thought he’d be somebody.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I didn't start having draft crushes until the 2014 draft.

Pretty much all my draft crushes ended up being Minnesota Vikings until the 2020 draft. Then they all ended up being Baltimore Ravens.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NFL Network's mock draft has the Packers taking a center from Alabama in Round 1 named Landon Dickerson.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
09 Apr 2021 18:59
NFL Network's mock draft has the Packers taking a center from Alabama in Round 1 named Landon Dickerson.
That's a little rich for Dickerson. Rough injury history; lots of leg and joint stuff. Also only, at best, the second-best center in the draft. Third or fourth by my estimation

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

List of prospects that have met with Packers

Felton, Demetric RB/WR UCLA VIrtual
Graham Jr., Thomas CB Oregon Virtual
Hawkins, Javian RB Louisville Virtual
Hayes, Daelin EDGE Notre Dame Virtual
Jaimes, Brendan OL Nebraska Virtual & SB
Jenkins, Teven OT Oklahoma State Virtual
Jordan, Brevin TE Miami Virtual
McNeill, Alim DT NC State Virtual
McPherson, Evan K Florida Virtual
Moore, Rondale WR Purdue Virtual
Newsome, Greg CB Northwestern Virtual & Pro Day
Raine, Justin TE/FB Northwestern Virtual
Samuel Jr., Asante CB Florida State Virtual
Stevens, Jacoby LB/S LSU Virtual
Thomas, Ambry CB Michigan Virtual
Tremble, Tommy TE Notre Dame Virtual
Williams, Trill DB Syracuse Virtual
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I just want to throw this thought out there since I haven't talked quite enough about him; but Elijah Moore is basically Tyler Lockett and his desire to be great makes me love him a bit. For whatever reason, likely because it's a deep receiver class and likely because I can't imagine us going so small at the position, I haven't really gone all in on him the way I did Cobb and Lockett; but he's that kind of guy.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Actually, I wanna do a few WR comparisons:

Elijah Moore and Tyler Lockett: undersized slot guys with an "it" factor and drive that allows them to over-perform and probably even line up outside a decent amount.
image.png
image.png (20.19 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Amari Rodgers and Deebo Samuel: tough reliable slot receivers with a RB body, return experience, and playmaking ability; Rodgers slightly less explosive
image.png
image.png (20.16 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Rashod Bateman and Justin Jefferson: similarly-sized technicians whose film said "average athleticism and speed" but whose testing said "plenty of speed," but whose top traits are instincts, feel, and release.
image.png
image.png (21.01 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Mike Stratchan and Allen Lazard: big receivers from smaller programs (Iowa St isn't a small school, but still)... good production at their level but a lot of work needed to succeed on the next level.
image.png
image.png (20.76 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Jalen Camp and Malik Taylor: thick speedy WRs who do the dirty work and fit as core-four STers.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 10 Apr 2021 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
10 Apr 2021 16:54
Jalen Camp and Malik Taylor: thick speedy WRs who do the dirty work and fit as core-four STers
Whoops, last image didn't take...
image.png
image.png (20.21 KiB) Viewed 309 times

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Gutey sure is an interesting GM when it comes to the draft. Instead of being just a needs drafter, or just a long term drafter, he kinda does everything at spots.

He sometimes picks for immediate need, especially when he can move around to target guys (Savage, Alexander). Sometimes he picks for a year or more down the line (Love, Dillon, Sterny). Sometimes he doubles or triples down on positions (Gary, three WR Stooges of 2018 and OL ones in 2020), but may basically ignore "needs" as perceived by the media and fans (WR, ILB). A willing picks-for-picks -trader, but not a pick hoarder.

Overall, predicting what Gutey is gonna do is bloody impossible. :bkw: :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
11 Apr 2021 13:30
Gutey sure is an interesting GM when it comes to the draft. Instead of being just a needs drafter, or just a long term drafter, he kinda does everything at spots.

He sometimes picks for immediate need, especially when he can move around to target guys (Savage, Alexander). Sometimes he picks for a year or more down the line (Love, Dillon, Sterny). Sometimes he doubles or triples down on positions (Gary, three WR Stooges of 2018 and OL ones in 2020), but may basically ignore "needs" as perceived by the media and fans (WR, ILB). A willing picks-for-picks -trader, but not a pick hoarder.

Overall, predicting what Gutey is gonna do is bloody impossible. :bkw: :lol:
This is true and I like it.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I want to put it out here in writing an addendum regarding my prediction that Justin Fields and Mac Jones will be busts (despite watching neither of them). If the 49ers pick Fields, he will be a success and will not be a bust. He might even win the SB and have a solid career. However, Mac Jones will still bust no matter who takes him.

Shanahan is too good of an offensive coach, and he almost made Jimmy G a SB winning QB, and Fields is way more talented than Jimmy G. Mac Jones however is hopeless.

If the Jags or Jets or possibly even the Falcons take Fields, he will bust. And probably the other teams picking in the top 10 although I'd have to look at each of them individually

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Seems like every year there is some fantastic place that offers game cutups of prospects.

Here's one I found for this year with a sample video of Toney. If y'all have other links, would appreciate.

https://www.ffastronauts.com/draftbreakdown

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
12 Apr 2021 00:37
I want to put it out here in writing an addendum regarding my prediction that Justin Fields and Mac Jones will be busts (despite watching neither of them). If the 49ers pick Fields, he will be a success and will not be a bust. He might even win the SB and have a solid career. However, Mac Jones will still bust no matter who takes him.

Shanahan is too good of an offensive coach, and he almost made Jimmy G a SB winning QB, and Fields is way more talented than Jimmy G. Mac Jones however is hopeless.

If the Jags or Jets or possibly even the Falcons take Fields, he will bust. And probably the other teams picking in the top 10 although I'd have to look at each of them individually
Idk. Shanahans scheme is the best in the league and he’s got the pieces for it to make it work. When you have a TE that can block and dominate in the blocking game and a FB that can do the same it’s tough to beat. You have to rely on your backers to cover or you play small and get run over. Mac Jones isn’t much different that Jimmy G physically and I think he probably has better accuracy and pocket presence. We will see how well it translates with less talent surrounding him. I personally don’t think Fields is that good either but he would also do well on the 9ers just because how easy they make it for their QBs.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

more from JS Online on draft prospects, some have really liked this big guy, possibly watched him when he played OS or another game when he dominated the LOS, he may last till our spot simply because he is still very raw, and needs better tech to stop the run, but ya can't argue with his ability to get after the QB, he would make our front 4 one of the best in the league.

At his best in big games, Christian Barmore brings impressive interior pass rush
Ryan Wood

Christian Barmore was a key part of a daunting Alabama defense.
Latest in a Packers Prospects series looking at players Green Bay could select in the April 29-May 1 NFL draft.

GREEN BAY - Until the college football playoffs, Alabama defensive tackle Christian Barmore had mostly muddled through the 2020 season — at least by his standards.

Not that there was anything wrong with Barmore’s regular-season production. In nine SEC games, Barmore had six sacks and 18 hurries. At 6-5, 310 pounds with an impressive 4.93 40, Barmore has the size and speed to wreak havoc on quarterbacks from the interior.

But Barmore hadn’t put all his tools together to outright dominate.

Then Alabama hosted Notre Dame in the national semifinal.

In his final two college games, Barmore had two sacks and 12 pressures against Notre Dame and Ohio State. He had six hurries against the Fighting Irish, making life miserable for Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book in a 31-14 win. Ten days later, Barmore was named the national championship game defensive MVP with five tackles, two for loss, one sack and five pressures in a win against the Buckeye

With Barmore’s full arsenal on display, the redshirt sophomore showed his first-round potential. He has the type of size and athleticism that could entice the Packers with the 29th overall pick in this month’s draft.

It’s no secret the Packers need help alongside Kenny Clark on their interior defensive line. While the Packers have depth on the edge of their pass rush, Clark is the only defensive lineman who gives opposing offensive lines any real scare. An interior defender with Barmore’s potential might change that.

Barmore, the second-highest graded interior pass rusher by Pro Football Focus, had eight sacks and 39 pressures in 2020. He was tied for the sixth-highest graded defensive tackle overall. Barmore was a third-team All-American and first-team All-SEC selection as a sophomore. While he has room to grow as a run defender, his pass-rush potential could be tantalizing for a team such as the Packers.

Age next season: 22.

Scouting measurables: 6-4, 310 pounds, 33 5/8-inch arms, 10-inch hands, 4.95 40

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think we all agree that we need to draft a OT, but should we use our first pick on one?

Tackle Teven Jenkins combines 'nastiness' with impressive size and strength
Ryan Wood

Teven Jenkins of Oklahoma State is a force at 6-6, 310 pounds.
Latest in a Packers Prospects series looking at players Green Bay could select in the April 29-May 1 NFL draft.

GREEN BAY - In the Big 12, Teven Jenkins played like a full-grown man among boys.

He had the size to tower over edge defenders. At 6-6, 310 pounds, Jenkins is one of the bigger offensive tackle prospects in this 2021 draft class. His 36 bench-press reps at Oklahoma State’s pro day showed the kind of strength that often made him too much of a force for his conference.

A three-year starter on the Cowboys' offensive line, Jenkins enters the draft as something of a polished product. He has played almost 2,000 snaps at right tackle over the past three seasons, adding almost 500 at left tackle, according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed no sacks and four pressures in 2020 before opting out of the season’s final month.

The challenge for Jenkins will be transitioning to the NFL, where he will be a full-grown man playing against other full-grown men. It’s harder to maul quality professional edge rushers. Jenkins’ shorter-than-ideal 32⅞-inch arms will make it more difficult to gain leverage.

Still, Jenkins has the size, strength, feet and body of work to be an enticing first-round option for a team like the Green Bay Packers, who select 29th overall in this month’s draft. The Packers have built their offensive line on versatility, with multiple blockers able to line up in multiple spots. Whether it’s Billy Turner playing four positions, or Elgton Jenkins playing all five, the Packers can throw many configurations at an opposing defense.

Teven Jenkins would offer more of that versatility. While right tackle is his likely NFL home, Jenkins started seven games at left tackle at Oklahoma State. He also has the size to slide inside to guard, giving the Packers another option if they want to keep Turner at right tackle.

While the Packers have a pair of quality offensive tackle starters in David Bakhtiari (who is rehabbing a torn ACL) and Turner, they need depth on the perimeter of their offensive line and a starter on their interior. Jenkins potentially could give them both, setting an offensive line that was one of the NFL’s best last season.

Scouting measurables: 6-6, 310 pounds, 32⅞-inch arms, 9⅝-inch hands, 4.96 40, 36 bench-press reps.

Stats: Seven games, seven starts, 0 sacks allowed, 4 pressures allowed, opted out of final month.

Pro Football Focus analysis: Jenkins is one beefy tackle who is capable of treating smaller edge defenders like rag dolls when he gets locked in. … His tape isn’t without concern, though. He was almost never tested in a Big 12 conference that lacked quality edge talent and was also rarely tested in a quick-passing “college-y” offense. He doesn’t quite have ideal length for the position, either. ... Jenkins' nastiness combined with his ability to sustain and finish reps is well worth a first-round pick, though — even if he ends up at guard.

Draftniks say: “Athletic tackle prospect with potential on both the left and right side. Sets with a wide base, bends his knees, and is quick with his hands. Stays square, shows strength, and easily turns defenders from the action. Nicely adjusts to oncoming opponents. Fires out to the second level, gets fits on linebackers and seals them from the action. Smooth pulling across the line of scrimmage and effective blocking in motion. Keeps his feet moving, displays solid lateral blocking range, and anchors in pass protection. Strong enough to move opponents off the line run blocking. Could do a better job sinking his butt at the line of scrimmage. Does not possess long arms for tackle.” – Tony Pauline, Pro Football Network

Quotable: “(I’m) a tough, physical, nasty mother(expletive). A dude that doesn’t shy away from hits, a dude that actually wants to get physical, and a dude that’s gonna bust his ass.” – Teven Jenkins on his game