2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This tackle class is so deep and the "need" at the position so much less immediate that it would be rather frustrating to take one with our first pick.

That said, it's need enough that if the best player on our board is an OT, we would take him, I'd guess. I just hope the board falls differently

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Apr 2021 10:32
This tackle class is so deep and the "need" at the position so much less immediate that it would be rather frustrating to take one with our first pick.

That said, it's need enough that if the best player on our board is an OT, we would take him, I'd guess. I just hope the board falls differently
plus it would mean having two players named Jenkins starting on the OL and we know how confusing that could be :thwap: :lol:
I agree hopefully the draft plays out that a good prospect at OT is available in the 3rd round range.

I forgot to look Sunday at who the JS prospect was, so I brought Jenkins today along with Barmore who I think would be a solid pick at slot 29 for us, he and Clark would anchor our DL for a few years to come.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
12 Apr 2021 11:20
plus it would mean having two players named Jenkins starting on the OL and we know how confusing that could be
The Smiths versus the Jenkinses would be a fun practice environment.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Apr 2021 04:59
texas wrote:
12 Apr 2021 00:37
I want to put it out here in writing an addendum regarding my prediction that Justin Fields and Mac Jones will be busts (despite watching neither of them). If the 49ers pick Fields, he will be a success and will not be a bust. He might even win the SB and have a solid career. However, Mac Jones will still bust no matter who takes him.

Shanahan is too good of an offensive coach, and he almost made Jimmy G a SB winning QB, and Fields is way more talented than Jimmy G. Mac Jones however is hopeless.

If the Jags or Jets or possibly even the Falcons take Fields, he will bust. And probably the other teams picking in the top 10 although I'd have to look at each of them individually
Idk. Shanahans scheme is the best in the league and he’s got the pieces for it to make it work. When you have a TE that can block and dominate in the blocking game and a FB that can do the same it’s tough to beat. You have to rely on your backers to cover or you play small and get run over. Mac Jones isn’t much different that Jimmy G physically and I think he probably has better accuracy and pocket presence. We will see how well it translates with less talent surrounding him. I personally don’t think Fields is that good either but he would also do well on the 9ers just because how easy they make it for their QBs.
Yeah that's basically why I think he can make it work with Fields. Shanahan is a top offensive mind

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

even with the ACL, back issues, and opting out of 2020 season I can't see this guy falling into our draft range, I think Ryan Wood is dreaming with this coverage.

Injury, inexperience could send Virginia Tech corner Caleb Farley sliding to Packers
Ryan Wood
Packers News

Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Latest in a Packers Prospects series looking at players Green Bay could select in the April 29-May 1 NFL draft.

GREEN BAY - If not for the pandemic, the Green Bay Packers likely wouldn't even dream of being able to draft Virginia Tech corner Caleb Farley.

Farley exudes No. 1 cornerback potential in the NFL. He’s a rare combination of size and speed, standing 6-2, 207 pounds and reportedly running a 4.3 40. A high school quarterback, his 58 total touchdowns (passing and running) as a senior ranked third in North Carolina state history for a single season. Farley signed with Virginia Tech to play receiver, but tore his ACL in 2017, converted to cornerback as a redshirt and was first-team All-ACC as a sophomore in 2019.

A breakout 2020 season loomed on the horizon. Then the pandemic hit, and Farley became the first major college football player to opt out. Farley cited motivation to protect his father, Robert. His mother, Robin, died in 2018 after battling breast cancer. Farley also wrote in a first-person account on NBC’s “Good Morning Football” the Hokies practiced improper coronavirus protocols, which exacerbated his concern.

So Farley represents something of a conundrum for NFL scouts entering this month’s draft. On ability and potential, he is one of the top defensive players in this class. On film, he is woefully short. He has played only two seasons as a cornerback, and though he was prolific with six interceptions — including four in 2019 — Farley is also inexperienced.

Get the Coronavirus Watch newsletter in your inbox.
Updates on how the coronavirus is affecting your community and the nation

A microdiscectomy procedure on his back in March also prevented Farley from participating in Virginia Tech’s pro day. As such, scouts will need to rely heavily on Farley’s splendid 2019 season. In 396 cover snaps, according to Pro Football Focus, Farley allowed 18 catches on 50 targets for 257 yards. He had a 26.8 passer rating when targeted and allowed only one touchdown.

With the Packers, his size and speed could make an ideal fit as a long-term fixture opposite Jaire Alexander. Kevin King, the big corner in the Packers' defense, will play 2021 on a one-year contract. Farley’s lack of ideal experience could force an adjustment to the NFL. Joining a secondary with two starting-caliber corners already in place could benefit his development.

Of course, Farley would need to drop within range of the Packers (who have the No. 29 pick) first. There’s no certainty that will happen, not for a cornerback with Farley’s skill set. Still, if injury and inexperience cause a slide, the Packers could be ready to pounce.

Scouting measurables: 6-2, 207 pounds, 32½-inch arms, reportedly 4.3 40.

Stats: Opted out of 2020 season.

Pro Football Focus analysis: Farley has the combo that every team is looking for. From size to speed to length to ball skills, he has displayed it all. His tape shows a player who could make up any cushion down the field. Unsurprisingly, he’s reported to run in the 4.3s, which shows on tape repeatedly. But he’s not solely an athlete playing corner. Farley has legit instincts for the position. While he has been known to get caught with his eyes in the backfield, he has some amazing breaks from off-coverage on his tape. While he’s not the most fluid and doesn’t have much of a proven history in press-man coverage in Virginia Tech’s defense, Farley has the uncoachable aspects of the position in droves.

Draftniks say: “Caleb Farley, I went back and looked at him in 2019, he was so good. I mean, Caleb Farley really had a good year. And he’s got length, a former wide receiver. A guy that doesn’t tackle well. That’s something he’s gotta show a little more toughness, and tackle and be more consistent in that area. But in coverage, he located, he was getting those late pass breakups. I mean, he was really a lockdown, cover corner in 2019. So I look at Farley, had he played this year, I think he could have been a top-five pick. (Jeff Okudah) went way up there. Why couldn’t Caleb Farley go up there? The only thing that keeps you from going too crazy in the rankings … is the fact that he didn’t play” – Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

Quotable: “I did a great job managing over a year but that bulge is still in my S1 and unfortunately I irritated it a month ago, which caused me to pull back on my training. I was trying to cut back and manage the inflammation to come out here on pro day and put up some crazy numbers. But after talking to Dr. (Robert) Watkins, getting the MRI and getting things looked at, we were advised it would be best to go ahead and fix this problem so I will be ready for training camp and ready for the season. It was not a recurring disc or anything like that. What I had previously worked on is still intact. It was great news. I’m actually excited about this.” – Caleb Farley on back injury, via Atlanta Journal Constitution

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't know if I would take Farley in the 1st round.

I would take him in the 2nd though. (at any spot...even if it means our 2nd round is still our first pick).

Just seems like the injury here is a pretty big risky risk.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 10:01

I would take him in the 2nd though. (at any spot...even if it means our 2nd round is still our first pick).

Peter King had this to say about the Farley medical issue in this week's column:
Caleb Farley: The most interesting of the 150 draft-prospect medical rechecks—Farley is a Round 1-graded cornerback from Virginia Tech—had a good day in Indianapolis on Friday. After undergoing a microdiscectomy (removing a damaged section of a herniated disc) in his back March 23 in Los Angeles, Farley told me Saturday that after imaging and a thorough physical and back exam in Indianapolis, he’s been cleared by NFL docs for the 2021 season.

Farley was told he’d need four months of rehab and recovery after the surgery, and that was the timetable the NFL medics saw over the weekend. “I got a lot of positive feedback from the NFL doctors,” Farley said. “The NFL doctors confirmed I would be ready for the season, and they told me this is definitely not a chronic thing.”

Four months from the date of the surgery is July 23. Most NFL camps open July 27. So Farley, the top corner on some boards before his surgery, should be ready to go at the start of camp, per doctors. “I plan to be the best cornerback of my generation,” he said. “I just can’t wait to get back in the pads again.” Expect him to be a first-round corner, still.
I'd be ecstatic if the Packers somehow came out of this draft with Farley.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

we'll see what GM's think, obviously the injury issues have to be cleared, and I expect they will be, the other concern is only playing one full season at CB, course as the stats show he did great in it, that and the lack of some tech skills like tackling, starring down the QB bother me more, not to worry though Farley is probably gone top 15 or so, to much upside for him to fall far.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

If Farely fals to the 20s I'm 1000% looking to move and get him and its a no brainer for me. The best cb in the draft with horn close. Hes a top 10 talent easy. Everything you want on the other side of Jaire. This kid is a stud and has the dog mentality also. This is a better prospect in a more important position then J Smith or M Jack. This also isnt a flyer on Harrell.

Of course if GB thinks his back is so messed up he wont be walking in 3 season yea pass. I dont see that and the risk is worth it.

Saying that I still think he goes before 20.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

APB wrote:
13 Apr 2021 10:13
go pak go wrote:

Peter King had this to say about the Farley medical issue in this week's column:
Caleb Farley: The most interesting of the 150 draft-prospect medical rechecks—Farley is a Round 1-graded cornerback from Virginia Tech—had a good day in Indianapolis on Friday. After undergoing a microdiscectomy (removing a damaged section of a herniated disc) in his back March 23 in Los Angeles, Farley told me Saturday that after imaging and a thorough physical and back exam in Indianapolis, he’s been cleared by NFL docs for the 2021 season.

Farley was told he’d need four months of rehab and recovery after the surgery, and that was the timetable the NFL medics saw over the weekend. “I got a lot of positive feedback from the NFL doctors,” Farley said. “The NFL doctors confirmed I would be ready for the season, and they told me this is definitely not a chronic thing.”

Four months from the date of the surgery is July 23. Most NFL camps open July 27. So Farley, the top corner on some boards before his surgery, should be ready to go at the start of camp, per doctors. “I plan to be the best cornerback of my generation,” he said. “I just can’t wait to get back in the pads again.” Expect him to be a first-round corner, still.
I just don't see it happening. I would be beyond shocked. I view it similar to the Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith situation where they are top 10/top 20 guys at the lowest but injury concerns push them back and our office dosen't sign off as a result.

If 28 teams pass up on Farley, I would be surprised if the Packers pull the trigger similar to how they didn't pull the trigger on Jack/Smith.

I think I would be more hopeful if we were selecting in that 15th to 25th range.

Now having said that, if only 3 CB's go off the board by pick 29 and the other teams try and be risk averse and go with Horn, Surtaine and Newsome....maybe Farley is there and maybe we do take the shot. I mean I have a huge draft crush on Newsome and he also is an injury risk up to this point in his career.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 10:24
APB wrote:
13 Apr 2021 10:13
go pak go wrote:

I just don't see it happening. I would be beyond shocked. I view it similar to the Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith situation where they are top 10/top 20 guys at the lowest but injury concerns push them back and our office dosen't sign off as a result.

If 28 teams pass up on Farley, I would be surprised if the Packers pull the trigger similar to how they didn't pull the trigger on Jack/Smith.

I think I would be more hopeful if we were selecting in that 15th to 25th range.

Now having said that, if only 3 CB's go off the board by pick 29 and the other teams try and be risk averse and go with Horn, Surtaine and Newsome....maybe Farley is there and maybe we do take the shot. I mean I have a huge draft crush on Newsome and he also is an injury risk up to this point in his career.
my hope is that Farley, Horn and Surtain push Newsome within range it wouldn't cost much to move up and take.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Woah.

Pro Football Network actually has a really good and free Mock. The visuals are good. You get trades and I think the scouting on Pro Football Network is beyond the scouting of the Draft Network.

I recommend people to check it out.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
13 Apr 2021 10:53

my hope is that Farley, Horn and Surtain push Newsome within range it wouldn't cost much to move up and take.
Newsome is my 2021 Packers NFL Draft Crush.

Levi Onwuzurike, Osa Odighizuwa and Jay Tufele are right up there.

I have NO idea where Osa and Jay will end up. My guess is Levi will be a top 40 pick. Osa and Jay could go in the top 40 or in the back part of the top 100. I just have no idea.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I have really sucked at liking cornerbacks, all my favorites seem to bomb pretty hard. Best I remember really liking who was even okay was way back to Vontae Davis.

That said, I think Patrick Surtain is the best corner I've ever watched a cut-up of. His patience, confidence, physicality at the LOS seems unparalleled. Like a receiver can make 10 stutter steps in front of him and he must trust his eyes on those hips, because he doesn't flinch once and tends to break before the WR actually does in the correct direction. Was kind of shocking.

I say we slip the old hot box gas mask photo leak of him Wednesday and let him to slip to around 20 and move up for him.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 11:02
Yoop wrote:
13 Apr 2021 10:53

Newsome is my 2021 Packers NFL Draft Crush.

Levi Onwuzurike, Osa Odighizuwa and Jay Tufele are right up there.

I have NO idea where Osa and Jay will end up. My guess is Levi will be a top 40 pick. Osa and Jay could go in the top 40 or in the back part of the top 100. I just have no idea.
I think the pick is 100% either Newsome or Samuel if they stay put. I think they would lean Newsome because of size but I really hope they don’t take him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
13 Apr 2021 11:27
I have really sucked at liking cornerbacks, all my favorites seem to bomb pretty hard. Best I remember really liking who was even okay was way back to Vontae Davis.

That said, I think Patrick Surtain is the best corner I've ever watched a cut-up of. His patience, confidence, physicality at the LOS seems unparalleled. Like a receiver can make 10 stutter steps in front of him and he must trust his eyes on those hips, because he doesn't flinch once and tends to break before the WR actually does in the correct direction. Was kind of shocking.

I say we slip the old hot box gas mask photo leak of him Wednesday and let him to slip to around 20 and move up for him.
my impression is that one or the other of Surtain or Farley will be the first corner taken and I lean Surtain simply because of the inexperience and health issues with Farley, both show the patience you speak of which imo is that Farley might have the higher ceiling, though along with Horn I think all 3 go top 20.

hard to judge CB's going off just high light vids.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
13 Apr 2021 12:04
BF004 wrote:
13 Apr 2021 11:27

my impression is that one or the other of Surtain or Farley will be the first corner taken and I lean Surtain simply because of the inexperience and health issues with Farley, both show the patience you speak of which imo is that Farley might have the higher ceiling, though along with Horn I think all 3 go top 20.

Oh my gosh. Check out this guy. His highlight video is insane!

Yoop wrote:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 12:18
:rotf:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
Insulting you would think I based my thoughts of him on a highlight video. :roll:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 12:18
Yoop wrote:
[Josh Jackson content]
Ever since you mentioned Adebo and Jackson in the same sentence, it's been haunting me.

Adebo's ball skill highlights are unreal. But his down-by-down cut-ups (much harder to find) were not sticky or consistent. HOWEVER, I only found his 2018 sophomore season tape for that. So maybe he was better in 2019. Maybe he's improved his craft in the off year of 2020.

But gosh, Adebo is really hitting me in the Josh Jackson feels now.