2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Apr 2021 13:09
go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 12:18
Yoop wrote:
13 Apr 2021 12:04
hard to judge CB's going off just high light vids.
Oh my gosh. Check out this guy. His highlight video is insane!
[Josh Jackson content]
Ever since you mentioned Adebo and Jackson in the same sentence, it's been haunting me.

Adebo's ball skill highlights are unreal. But his down-by-down cut-ups (much harder to find) were not sticky or consistent. HOWEVER, I only found his 2018 sophomore season tape for that. So maybe he was better in 2019. Maybe he's improved his craft in the off year of 2020.

But gosh, Adebo is really hitting me in the Josh Jackson feels now.
Me too.

3 weeks ago I was prepared to take Adebo at 29. No joke. I was that excited about him. But then I kept telling myself. Big. Zone. Great ball skills. Not as fluid (even though I think he is still pretty fluid and tested well).

Now I would consider with our 3rd. But I am definitely cooling off on him a LOT.

Biggest thing about Adebo is if he is more fluid than Jackson. It may be very unfair to compare the two. But because we have recency and "on the team" bias with Jackson...it is definitely impacting us.

I am in a No Slow Hip mood this year and No Struggles To Get Motivated mood.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Insulting you would think I based my thoughts of him on a highlight video. :roll:
Isn't that how Gute makes his decisions?

I see no reason that a Bob McGinn article and youtube highlights can't make up our minds about these prospects. ;)
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
13 Apr 2021 13:35
BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:
Insulting you would think I based my thoughts of him on a highlight video. :roll:

I see no reason that a Bob McGinn article and youtube highlights can't make up our minds about these prospects. ;)
It’s a small sample size but Gute so far has done bad draft, good draft, bad draft. So judging by the trend this should be a good draft.

At the very worst it will be better than last years because that was the absolute worst.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I didn't, I simply neglected to add that it was so hard for me to, I had assumed that you had done more homework then that after your comment that Patrick pays particular attention to hips more so then feet when watching WR's, you pass over my other comments just to act all butt hurt because I made a basic statement about anyones ability to judge a player from watching a small sample on a vid clip.

GPG: Jackson took advantage of some of the crappiest QB play you'll ever see, both QB's in that clip throw right to his coverage, not to take anything away from Jackson, but if we saw Rodgers throwing balls like that we'd scream to get Lovey in the game :lol: saying all that I'd probably still give him a jersey, he looks athletic, and thats about all I know about Jackson.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
Biggest thing about Adebo is if he is more fluid than Jackson. It may be very unfair to compare the two. But because we have recency and "on the team" bias with Jackson...it is definitely impacting us.

Yeah. I mean, Jackson's combine workouts and drills (not the timed and measured stuff, just the on field stuff) were comically bad. And when you first put their names together, I hit the recency bias and the bad footwork and drill work.
But we don't HAVE anything on Adebo to compare it to. Maybe his drills were bad, too! I dunno!

It's not fully rational. I think we're both in the same place. I'm just cooling way the heck off.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Apr 2021 13:43
go pak go wrote:

Yeah. I mean, Jackson's combine workouts and drills (not the timed and measured stuff, just the on field stuff) were comically bad. And when you first put their names together, I hit the recency bias and the bad footwork and drill work.
But we don't HAVE anything on Adebo to compare it to. Maybe his drills were bad, too! I dunno!

It's not fully rational. I think we're both in the same place. I'm just cooling way the heck off.
Their RAS scores are pretty darned comparable. You are right. I can't find any video of Adebo's drills.

Both had great RAS scores though.
image.png
image.png (321.68 KiB) Viewed 228 times
image.png
image.png (147.76 KiB) Viewed 228 times
The major difference is clearly Adebo has better long speed which is honestly a big weakness for Jackson as he does get burned deep. Perhaps Jackson would be a really good corner if getting burned deep wasn't such a big weakness of his and he could take advantage of his ball skills and short area game more.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Apr 2021 13:40
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

It’s a small sample size but Gute so far has done bad draft, good draft, bad draft. So judging by the trend this should be a good draft.

At the very worst it will be better than last years because that was the absolute worst.
NO immediate help, so I tend to agree, I'am a instant gratification type of fan :lol:

thing is we should expect some results this year with Dillon, he ran very well against Tenn. and Dequara while not playing should have a good grasp on the playbook and schemes, Runyan shows promise, might even start at LG if we move Jenkins to C.

I rarely expect 2nd and later round guys to play a lot year one, even first rounders need some schooling up to start at this level.

I thought the moves Guty made sliding back and still getting his target player ( alexander) and gaining a late first in the process was really excellent, that manuver gave us the ammo to move up and take Savage.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

There was someone else here who saw Josh Jackson's combine positional drills, maybe Yoho? Thought someone else, but we were both pretty much harping to just take him off the draft board that day, lol. It was that insanely bad.

Kind of hope they can trade him for like a 6th, I think he could be useful in the right defense, but borderline useless here if he can't even suit to play special teams.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Apr 2021 13:40
go pak go wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Say what?

At least Love and Dillon could be good, even if hopefully neither see the field as a starter for 4 more years.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
13 Apr 2021 15:06
There was someone else here who saw Josh Jackson's combine positional drills, maybe Yoho? Thought someone else, but we were both pretty much harping to just take him off the draft board that day, lol. It was that insanely bad.

Kind of hope they can trade him for like a 6th, I think he could be useful in the right defense, but borderline useless here if he can't even suit to play special teams.
I never had a strong stance on Josh Jackson one way or the other, so I get no credit for pointing it out; but I remember that sentiment from someone as well.

My take on Jackson was that I liked Isaiah Oliver much better. But I liked Jaire so much that Jackson was just going to be a #2 or 3, so I wasn't too concerned. Oliver turned out not to be very good, either. So my preference didn't bear me any fruit.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Also, fwiw, at the 2005 combine, RB Brandon Jacobs on-field drills were so horrendously, laughably bad that I came away from my in-person combine experience with that nugget of intel--that Brandon Jacobs would stink--as a primary takeaway.

It sure did cost him draft stock on draft day, but then he vastly outplayed his draft stock in the NFL. So I took the "horrendous on-field drills" with a grain of salt; hence the lack of strong preference.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

It may have been me, I was pretty vocally anti-JJ that year.

Bad deep speed and bad mobility at CB is a killer, no amount of "but he was so good in college" (and there was A LOT of that from Big 10 fans, which probably also contributed to my opposition) can get me to look past that.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Labrev wrote:
13 Apr 2021 16:48
It may have been me, I was pretty vocally anti-JJ that year.

Bad deep speed and bad mobility at CB is a killer, no amount of "but he was so good in college" (and there was A LOT of that from Big 10 fans, which probably also contributed to my opposition) can get me to look past that.
I 2nd this. Hos combine he was awful. I thought he wasnt going to make it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Seems some cold water getting dumped on Melifonwu's stock. He was starting to get 1st round talk. But now reports that no team has him in the 1st or 2nd. Might be smoke, who knows.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

paco wrote:
13 Apr 2021 22:46
Seems some cold water getting dumped on Melifonwu's stock. He was starting to get 1st round talk. But now reports that no team has him in the 1st or 2nd. Might be smoke, who knows.
Hes the same thing as Kevin King. Big and athletic with god awful technique. His lower half is all over the place when receiver make their breaks. Should be a 3rd round corner that will go way higher because he has traits.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
13 Apr 2021 23:52
paco wrote:
13 Apr 2021 22:46
Hes the same thing as Kevin King. Big and athletic with god awful technique. His lower half is all over the place when receiver make their breaks. Should be a 3rd round corner that will go way higher because he has traits.
I mean I had him in the fifth in my very first mock draft. Tony Pauline never raised him from that general area. The buzz that he could go higher got inflated Pat the point of reality. I’ve never liked him prior to pick 60 or so but still holding out for third round.

I like him more than Lupe does, I think. But the fringe first round stuff never felt real to me.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Now I saw something where some people don't think Jaycee Horn is a 1st rounder. I think this draft is going to throw everybody off this year.

Maybe it'll put some of the lesser media guys and coach analysts in their place a bit.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
14 Apr 2021 08:16
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Now I saw something where some people don't think Jaycee Horn is a 1st rounder. I think this draft is going to throw everybody off this year.

Maybe it'll put some of the lesser media guys and coach analysts in their place a bit.
If Jaycee Horn "isn't a first rounder" I hope we make him one ;)

The way the second and third tier of WRs get stacked, to me, is really going to be wild.

Kiper had Elijah Moore, Terrance Marshall then Bateman as 4, 5, and 6 in his latest mock (all in the first). Then goes Toney, Dyami Brown, Amari Rodgers, Tutu Atwell, Anthony Schwartz(!), Dwayne Eskridge(!), Rondale Moore in the second.

McShay has Toney, Marshall, and E. Moore as 4, 5, and 6 (all in the first). Then goes Tutu Atwell, Bateman, Rondale Moore, Tylan Wallce in the Second.

That's just the ESPN mainstreamers, operating ostensibly off of the same basic information and resources.

Brugler just put out a 7-round mock. He has E. Moore and Bateman as WRs 4 and 5 in the first round; then only Marshall, Toney, and R. Moore in the second round. While guys like D. Brown, T. Atwell, A. Rodgers fall to the 3rd.

Slightly different order in the top 4-8 range. Totally different players in the top 8-15 range
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 14 Apr 2021 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

The thing I saw on Horn...
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

more draft trivia from JS Online, our 5 most needy positions to up grade

Dougherty: Ranking the Packers' five positions of greatest need in the NFL draft
Pete Dougherty
Packers News

GREEN BAY - The NFL draft really is more about two and three years down the road than the upcoming season. At least most of the time.

Something to keep in mind as you think about how general manager Brian Gutekunst might prioritize the Green Bay Packers’ needs in the first round of the NFL draft in two weeks.

In fact, one high-ranking NFL scouting executive said that in evaluating the position he wants to fill in the first round, as well as projecting what other teams will do, he starts by eliminating only the obvious no-needs. Everything else is fair game.

“With the way the game is now, other than a spot or two you almost need everything almost every year,” the scout said. “… You’re up there in the first round you better pick a good player regardless of position, because you’re usually one play away from needing that position anyway. Or one year away.”

Carry out that exercise for the Packers and here are the positions aside from punter, kicker and long snapper to cross off their first-round list: Quarterback, running back, tight end. If they don’t move Darnell Savage from safety to the slot “star” position, you can scratch safety. And if they don’t plan on using Rashan Gary as interior defensive linemen, you can probably take edge rusher off too.

The Packers’ needs at the remaining positions vary in degree, but all figure to be in play when Gutekunst’s pick comes up in the first round at No. 29 overall.

Here’s how I rank them: Though it’s hairsplitting among the top three, I’d go cornerback, defensive line and offensive line, followed by receiver and inside linebacker.

Here’s a thumbnail look at each of those positions for the Packers now that the bulk of the free-agency period has passed:

Cornerback
Re-signing Kevin King to a one-year deal takes the pressure off to draft a rookie to play right away, but it’s still a big need in a pass-crazy league that demands quality depth in coverage.

I think the Packers should move Savage to the slot corner position though there’s been no indication new defensive coordinator Joe Barry plans to do so. Assuming Savage stays at safety, Chandon Sullivan was OK in the nickel position last year and is the next-most likely candidate for that spot this year.

Still, the Packers could very much use a talented rookie who could at least push for that job. Also, King has played a full season only once in his first four years in the league, so Gutekunst should assume he’s going to miss some games again this year. And in 2022 the Packers will have to replace King in the starting lineup.

Defensive line
Looking at just 2021, this is the Packers’ greatest need.

Kenny Clark has a Pro Bowl (2019 season) and is in his prime at age 25. But after him, the Packers don’t have the kind of talent good defenses usually have upfront. Kingsley Keke has made a few plays in his first two seasons, Dean Lowry plateaued last year, and Tyler Lancaster was re-signed as a low-cost run defender. That’s pretty much it.

If Barry runs his defense like his boss (Brandon Staley) with the Los Angeles Rams last season, he’s going to play a lot of five-man lines (three linemen, two outside linebackers). We don’t know that’s the case, and there’s always the chance he has different plans based on the Packers’ personnel. But the better bet is he wants to play the same way, and to do that he’ll need more talent on the interior, because three of those guys will be on the field together a lot. Unless Gary or Preston Smith moves inside — again, we have no indication that’s in the works — then the Packers’ need on the line is big and immediate.

Offensive line
Center Corey Linsley’s departure in free agency leaves a hole on the line that the Packers can fill in any number of ways, though they’d probably prefer it to be a tackle. They’re also looking at playing anywhere from the first three to eight games without David Bakhtiari at left tackle while he’s recovering from ACL surgery.

They also have the flexibility to replace those two in a variety of ways. Elgton Jenkins might be their preferred center, but the ascending third-year pro can play any of the five positions capably. Billy Turner can play either tackle and right guard. Lucas Patrick is a guard who filled in competently for Linsley at center in two games in 2019. And second-year pro Jon Runyan is a good bet to start at guard, at least early in the season, after playing 160 snaps there as an injury fill-in last year.
And who knows whether, say, Yosh Nijman makes a big jump in Year 3 at right tackle after graduating from the practice squad to the 53 last year? Or whether 2020 rookie redshirt (knee injury) Simon Stepaniak can make a run at a starting spot at guard? Or fellow sixth-rounder Jake Hanson at center after spending last year on the practice squad?

Still, a first-round pick would be a good candidate to start somewhere. And tackle is a premium position that’s easy to justify spending a first-round pick. Regardless, there’s a very good chance Gutekunst drafts an offensive lineman early (i.e., the first three rounds) this year.

Receiver
The Packers had the top-scoring offense in the league last year. So much for the hysteria when Gutekunst didn’t draft a receiver.

Still, the Packers aren’t dynamic at this position. They’re also looking at an overhaul next year, because as of now, Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown and Devin Funchess will be free agents in ’22.

Recent draft history suggests there’s more value selecting receivers in the second and third rounds than the first. So there’s reason to wonder whether Gutekunst might wait until at least Round 2 to take one in what looks like another deep draft at that position.

Inside linebacker
I’m not convinced this is as big a Packers need as other observers say. I mean, who wouldn’t want Tampa Bay’s Devin White in the middle of their defense? The problem is guys with his talent are rare — remember, White was the fifth pick overall in his draft. Much harder is identifying a good one like Fred Warner, who San Francisco picked in the third round in 2018.

Also, Gutekunst added decent young talent there last year in Krys Barnes and Kamal Martin. Unless there’s a major upgrade available at No. 29, I’m just not sure the value would be there.

It also depends on how much Barry plans on using two inside linebackers together. Last year the Rams played mostly only one (behind a five-man line and with five defensive backs). They also let their best inside linebacker from 2019 (Cory Littleton) walk in free agency if that tells you anything about how Staley viewed the position.

Still, you never know what Gutekunst might do or how he evaluates the inside linebackers this year. If he sees one he especially likes at No. 29, it’s safe to assume he’ll pounce.