2021 NFL Draft Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

49ers at #3 Take...

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2021 00:11

Mac Jones
50%
Trey Lance
38%
Justin Fields
No votes
Other
13%

Total votes: 8

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Jordan Love to the Patriots according to this paper here.

https://dailysnark.com/2021/04/19/leake ... -patriots/
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Trudge wrote:
20 Apr 2021 06:02

Might as well have been printed on toilet paper.

Read More. Post Less.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

NCF wrote:
20 Apr 2021 06:34
Trudge wrote:
20 Apr 2021 06:02

Might as well have been printed on toilet paper.
I'm just presenting, I don't think one way or another. ;)
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d be pissed, stop trading 4ths to move up on the 1st, lol.

I’d also be pissed we didn’t resign Boyle. ;)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 311 times

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

After seeing what the Lions got for Stafford and what the 9ers gave to move up to 3, I'd want two 1sts minimum for Love. No reason to do less.

So I guess I'd entertain that trade from NE if we get their 2022 1st as well.

There are some prime CB's and WR's I wouldn't hate around 15. 8-)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I new we should have kept Boyles on the pay roll, now we can't trade Lovey cause he's the only backup we have that knows Matts complicated offense, awe shucks

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
20 Apr 2021 09:07
I new we should have kept Boyles on the pay roll, now we can't trade Lovey cause he's the only backup we have that knows Matts complicated offense, awe shucks
If you lose Rodgers it doesn’t matter.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Apr 2021 10:43
Yoop wrote:
I disagree, if that was actually true no one would carry more then the starting QB, sure, if Rodgers had a season ender early it would be much tougher to reach the play offs, but that is worse case scenario, teams depend on backups to finish games or even start a few and win more then they lose, we have enough offensive talent that a backup just has to play game management and not lose games by doing dumb stuff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
20 Apr 2021 10:55
lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Apr 2021 10:43
Yoop wrote:
I disagree, if that was actually true no one would carry more then the starting QB, sure, if Rodgers had a season ender early it would be much tougher to reach the play offs, but that is worse case scenario, teams depend on backups to finish games or even start a few and win more then they lose, we have enough offensive talent that a backup just has to play game management and not lose games by doing dumb stuff
It sounds good to have a backup that won’t lose you games. Most of them do. They aren’t starting for a reason.

I’ve always been of the belief you get a young and cheap rookie in the later rounds, teach him the system, develop them, and if it ever comes to the point he needs to play you let him go out there and try to win. If he’s good then you stay alive and maybe add a little trade value. If he sucks you keep letting him suck and set yourself up for next season.

Boyle got 2mil which is cheap but we were strapped. You’ve also gotta think he sees the writing on the wall for him in GB. He was going to be an afterthought long term for the Packers. He’s got a chance in Detroit.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Why are we having a discussion about backup QBs because a mock draft proposed trading Love? Rodgers-Love is our QB position. Let's talk about the draft.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Gil Brandt's latest big board. Always an important one in my mind. Dude's been doing it forever and is very often right.
https://www.nfl.com/news/gil-brandt-s-h ... raft-class
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
20 Apr 2021 12:03
Gil Brandt's latest big board. Always an important one in my mind. Dude's been doing it forever and is very often right.
woah, Kelvin Joseph's draft status climb seems out of control for me. Both Brugler and NFL Films' Greg Cossell independently pointed out that his eyes are almost always in the wrong spot and it limits him from playing to his speed; and MAYYYBE you can coach eyes up better, but that feels intrinsically linked to instincts and unlikely to suddenly improve at the next level. He feels risky to me and a likely bust, yet he's climbing climbing climbing. And now Brant has him in the top 32? :shock:

Should I reconsider my anti-Joseph stance?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

A buddy of mine mentioned how he bets the Packers fans are aching for Quinn Meinerz from UW-Whitewater to replace Linsley since he's a local kid, was among the best players at the Senior Bowl, and seems to have that fun-nasty demeanor on the field... and I mentioned that nah, I haven't seen that much and explained that we have a lot of late round iOL success, so maybe that explains it. But I did want to ask... how do people feel about this guy?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

No idea on Joseph, I can't say much on him. Meinerz, seems like he could be an option for us. Being local, I think, rarely matter for the Packers. From what I've seen he's done everything right in the draft process and clips I've seen look good. He's far from perfect, of course. We do tend to stick with OL that have LT experience. But we've bucked that trend recently too.

I doubt I'll put him in my mock, but I'd be happy if we selected him.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
20 Apr 2021 12:37
No idea on Joseph, I can't say much on him. Meinerz, seems like he could be an option for us. Being local, I think, rarely matter for the Packers. From what I've seen he's done everything right in the draft process and clips I've seen look good. He's far from perfect, of course. We do tend to stick with OL that have LT experience. But we've bucked that trend recently too.

I doubt I'll put him in my mock, but I'd be happy if we selected him.
Yeah, I just think the opportunity cost of those Day 2 picks right now are too high to take an iOL, but I must admit before the Senior Bowl when he was a whisper of a prospect for Day Three he likely would have made a lot of my mocks. Once he had his coming out party and draft stock rose accordingly, I was out, basically.

And yeah, that's an interesting point; at least on THIS board, what Packers fans want generally takes into consideration how likely it is based on Packer trends. So fans aren't clamoring for the local guy any more than anyone else because the Packers won't think of it that way.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
Draft Daddy is a GOD when it comes to prospective slotting :lol: he has Jamin Davis at slot #37, he's been one of my sleeper picks for a while, would add new meaning to our interior coverage, sorta reminds me of the 1 year break out season that Mathews had when we took him, obscurity to stardom at USC, I expect Davis after the same one great season to be a great ILB in the NFL.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Yoop wrote:
20 Apr 2021 12:55
paco wrote:
Draft Daddy is a GOD when it comes to prospective slotting :lol: he has Jamin Davis at slot #37, he's been one of my sleeper picks for a while, would add new meaning to our interior coverage, sorta reminds me of the 1 year break out season that Mathews had when we took him, obscurity to stardom at USC, I expect Davis after the same one great season to be a great ILB in the NFL.
I was playing around with a simulator and came away with Greg Newsome, Jamin Davis, Milton Williams, and Brady Christensen with the first 4 picks (did some trading). I think I'd be pretty happy with that.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
20 Apr 2021 12:18
how do people feel about this guy?
Based on just the All-Star Game tour, how could you not love him?

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

little bit more on Jamin Davis from JS Online. kids got a full tool box, however some tools havn't been used yet.

Late-blooming linebacker Jamin Davis could bring creativity to Packers' defense
Ryan Wood
Packers News

Kentucky linebacker Jamin Davis has an impressive skill set.
Latest in a Packers Prospects series looking at players Green Bay could select in the April 29-May 1 NFL draft.

GREEN BAY - The measurables have never been an issue for Jamin Davis.

The Kentucky linebacker has every athletic trait NFL teams crave. At the Wildcats’ pro day last month, Davis put his skill set on full display. At 6-4, 234 pounds, he showed remarkable speed for an off-ball linebacker with a 4.49 40. His 42-inch vertical leap and 132-inch broad jump indicated Davis’ freakish athleticism is no fluke.

In a league where linebackers are more and more asked to be playmakers in space, from sideline-to-sideline range against the run to dropping in coverage, Davis has the tools needed for his job. He just hasn’t had much experience with his job.

Davis, who was lightly recruited out of high school, has become a potential first-round draft pick this month despite only one season as a college starter. Before 2020, Davis had played 15 games in his first two seasons. He had only one start. Davis said he “probably weighed 190 pounds soaking wet” when he arrived on campus.

He needed lots of development early in his college career. When he got his shot to start last season, Davis didn’t waste it.

Davis finished eighth in the nation, and third in the SEC, with 102 tackles as a junior in 2020. He added three interceptions, including an 86-yard pick-six against Tennessee, and a pair of defended passes. Though he didn’t blitz much at Kentucky — 1.5 sacks, four tackles for loss — his size and speed are ideal for a defensive coordinator to get creative.

Finally putting the whole package together on the field, Davis has gone from being a potential mid-round draft pick to a trendy name in first-round mocks. Davis can be the type of three-down linebacker the Green Bay Packers have long needed. The Packers have a pair of young, promising linebackers in Krys Barnes and Kamal Martin, but an athletic stud such as Davis could establish the position as a strength on their roster.

If Davis is available when the Packers select 29th overall, general manager Brian Gutekunst will have to weigh his decision on projection. That’s what the draft is about, anyway. Can Davis, a late-bloomer in college, continue his ascension at the next level? If he can, Davis might provide the type of playmaker in the middle of the field that would lift the Packers' defense to another level.

Scouting measurables: 6-4, 234 pounds, 33-inch arms, 9.5-inch hands, 4.49 40, 21 bench-press reps.

Stats: 10 games, 102 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, 3 interceptions, 2 defended passes, 1 forced fumble.

Pro Football Focus analysis: Davis has the long-levered body type that’s very much en vogue at the linebacker position nowadays. At 6-foot-4, 234 pounds, he had no problem tacking on blocks in the run game and earned an 87.5 grade in that regard this past season. Davis’ concerns are more related to his play in coverage. While he’s athletic enough to get the job done, he became a full-time starter only as a junior in 2020 and played a lot of spot drop zone in Kentucky’s defense. It was hard to get a read on how quickly he’d pick up route concepts, as he did a lot of staring down the quarterback. He still made some splash plays with three picks and one pass-breakup, so there is reason for encouragement.

Draftniks say: “Davis is a tall and lanky off-the-ball linebacker. He has excellent eyes to key, read, fill and finish. He uses his quickness to beat blockers to spots. He is much better working around blocks than taking them on, but he has outstanding lateral range, and his eyes give him a jump-start. He has stopping power as a tackler in the hole, and he really excels against the pass. He has shown the ability to carry TEs down the seam as well as mirror RBs on wheel routes (SEE: Vanderbilt game). He is instinctive as a zone dropper, picking off three passes in 2020, including an 85-yard pick-six versus Tennessee. I wish he was allowed to blitz more often, because he has the traits to excel in that department. Overall, Davis lacks some strength to bang versus blockers, but his speed and playmaking ability jump off the screen. He should be a Day 1, three-down impact player at the next level.” – Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network

Quotable: “Honestly, I’m guessing people are just starting to wake up just a little bit. I honestly couldn’t tell you. I couldn’t put my finger on it. I’m not doing anything special. I’m not pulling any hat tricks or anything. I’m just being myself, and I guess everything is just unfolding right before my eyes. ” – Jamin Davis on his meteoric rise up draft boards