Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:33
After sleeping on it, here's the thing. Everyone that says this pick is dumb is right, for now. Everyone that says this pick doesn't make sense and there is no logical path to success is right, for now. I have to give you that. I see paths to success that are not in the near term and you don't have to accept those. I have to give you that, as well. This is a long con by Gutey. You guys get to revel in this for the next few years. I choose to think we will come out on top in this one, in the end. Its not blind faith, its not homerism, its not trust Gutey at all costs, I just truly think this will work out. I will keep my optimism quiet, for now, as there is no use in trying to convince those that have their minds made up, but believe me, this thread will be bookmarked.
This seems a very reasonable summary. At the end of the day we need to remember it's just one player. Last year we got zero from our #12 pick overall and did our season collapse into failure and risk the future of the franchise? No, we made the NFCCG. Getting a WR in the second round rather than the first isn't going to doom the Packers in 2020 or beyond.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:37
TheGreenMan wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:10
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:08

:shock: :rotf:
Memory must be short, but I don't.
Are you kidding me?

Ted was absolutely hated for the pick (oh the "fond" memories of being called a TTard for not hating the pick). As much as people ragged on Ted about Harrell, it was even worse with Rodgers. Especially because he looked like absolute crap his first year and and only looked so so (for a backup..) his 2nd. Rodgers was penciled in by most as a colossal bust until the Dallas game in '07, tho he did outplay Favre in the '07 preseason (which few put stock in).

I thought he looked good in the '06 preseason, but few agreed with me. The offense didn't really do anything with him under center in '06 preseason, but he at least lost the deer in the headlights look he had in '05 and had quality ball placement.

Yeah, like I said... I don't really remember that much hate for the single pick. At the time I certainly remember some big heads calling for the Packers to draft Rodgers as he fell. I didn't have a problem with that pick back then either, which likely clouds some of the hate. It's also difficult to remember when Ted was despised for most of his first rounders initially. Ted Thompson had a website that was literally all about him, and the hate of the way he ran the team.

Anyways, it's been said before... We're comparing apples to oranges.
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pugger wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:47
Serious question though:

Would Rodgers be a better mentor than Favre?

If we're honest with ourselves, I don't think so. We're bias as fans go, but rumor or not... I just do not see Rodgers in that role at all.
Someone asked AR how he would feel if GB takes a QB and he said he'd treat that kid a hell of lot better than Favre did to him.
I hope so.

Rodgers certainly can empathize, but he also has to realize (because he was in those shoes) that the benefit of the doubt will always default to the old star.

Remember, Rodgers CLEARLY outplayed Brett in the '07 preseason. And Brett actually showed up that year to camp and some offseason stuff. And he played really bad weeks 1-2. If you could go back in time and read threads from weeks 1-2 of '07, you'd see many were on the bandwagon of benching Brett in favor of AR. Week 3 he lit it up and turned back on his old self, and that was all forgotten.

Rodgers will not lose his job unless he just can't get it done anymore, even then certainly he will have a very long leash.

Nothing bad comes of Love becoming a star, even for Rodgers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

the other day someone here mentioned that Favre and Rodgers had been in contact a lot lately, now just what would people think 2 guys that hadn't been that close for years would be talking about now, could it be how the end had been for Favre in GB, and what Rodgers can expect concerning his, this move says to me Rodgers might not be around as long as we would think.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

This is the time where JustJeff would have a thread/post waiting for us in the morning explaining the logic in the Love pick. After all of us come down from the adrenaline fueled alcohol consumption the night before.

He'd probably teach you something about football too.
RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Andrew Brandt this morning:
I get it Packers fans, my sons are upset too. But the Packers thinking was: "we can get our WR/TE/LB/OL later, but we can't get this guy. And this is the guy for the future." Same as 15 years ago. Trust the Board.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Well last night, moving up and thinking we were going to grab queen, and then grabbing a guy that wont help us next year...i felt like i got punched in the stomach. This morning that nausea and shock has turned to anger. No i am not threatening violence against Gutey or anyone, this is just a metaphor. But to carry out my analogy i would be at the phase now where i have accepted and recovered from the pain of getting punched in my stomach, and i would like to go find the guy who did it and execute some vengeance.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

I think all Packer fans should no longer put any hope in this front office picking an ILB in the first round. The TT tree just won't do it. They may be wrong but draft night will go better for us all if we accept it.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

British wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:08
I think all Packer fans should no longer put any hope in this front office picking an ILB in the first round. The TT tree just won't do it. They may be wrong but draft night will go better for us all if we accept it.
I think it will happen some day. I loved Queen. I don't think the Packers did. Really curious, actually, if they would have taken Jordyn Brooks if he was still available. Queen, at 228 lbs., probably never had a chance for us.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:43
Sorry for quoting my own post, but I'd be real interested in getting y'all's takes on Love's tape. Six game cutups available here (one link doesn't work): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C3J ... sp=sharing

These ones I haven't watched yet, I have the others on page 9 of this thread:
You should start a new thread for this leading with the work you have already done. I am curious, as well, and would like to go through everyone's thoughts without searching for them between 15 fire Gutey posts.

:aok:

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Still just hate that we gave up a 4th too.

Went from having 4 good prospects to help us, with a first rounder and a 4th rounder, get a lot of help, get some OL preospects it and ILB in the 4th.

Now just a late 2nd and 3rd; just not a good chance of all in getting solid contributors this year. We are significantly worse on paper right now than last year and doubt we can expect much of anything from this rookie class now.

Feel like we are heading for like an 8-8 season, dangerous territory to get stuck in with an aging QB on a big contract and not enough draft capital to make any big moves.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:10
bud fox wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:14
It's just not smart from cap management perspective aswell.

You want a rookie qb to sit a max of 1 year. This way you get play out of them for 5 years before they have a ridiculous cap hit.

If we go from Rodgers to Love after 4 or 5 years we get no time to stock up and invest in other positions.
Not necessarily.

When Rodgers was extended in his 4th year (8 games into his 1st year starting), his extension was just above average for starting QB's. That's the $$ he was making '09-'11.

That's the trick, the masterstoke Ted pulled off. If a young QB sits long enough that he's already in range of extension by the time he's a starter, he can be extended relatively cheap before he earns a cap busting deal.
Except look at Jimmy G's contract.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:37
Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:10
bud fox wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:14
It's just not smart from cap management perspective aswell.

You want a rookie qb to sit a max of 1 year. This way you get play out of them for 5 years before they have a ridiculous cap hit.

If we go from Rodgers to Love after 4 or 5 years we get no time to stock up and invest in other positions.
Not necessarily.

When Rodgers was extended in his 4th year (8 games into his 1st year starting), his extension was just above average for starting QB's. That's the $$ he was making '09-'11.

That's the trick, the masterstoke Ted pulled off. If a young QB sits long enough that he's already in range of extension by the time he's a starter, he can be extended relatively cheap before he earns a cap busting deal.
Except look at Jimmy G's contract.
That trade gave him the contract leverage that he never would have had in NE, even if he took over for Brady.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:55
williewasgreat wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:49
The Packers desperately need OT, DT, WR, ILB and have other obvious needs in depth. So, what do they do but move up to take a QB that could have been taken sitting where they were. When I woke up this morning to find out they did this I couldn't believe it. They lost a 4th round pick to take a questionable QB when they have so many other needs. What this tells me is that the team either does not have much confidence in Rodgers or Gutey is doing his best Al Davis imitation and has no plan whatsoever. I really wanted us to pick an OT, DT or ILB. I am disappointed!
Just have to trust Guty's board here. And the Packers weren't the only team trying to move up to get Love. The Colts were too. Maybe there were others. Green Bay actually had a call with Seattle's John Schneider that they cut off in order to pursue the trade with Miami. I'd say they acted with very high confidence.
Not just the Colts, I think the Raiders, Steelers, Saints and Patriots were potential suitors for trading up. There was competition no doubt.

The one advantage we had at that point was we still had a 1st round pick available, the other teams either didn't have one or they used their pick on a different player earlier on in the draft. We were in stronger position to outbid other teams.

If we didn't get involved in the trade and we stood pat then maybe the Colts would've packaged their high 2nd rounders to jump ahead of us.

So just to only give up a 4th round pick for that added peace of mind probably was worth it in Gute/Lafleur's eyes and we can always trade back into the 4th again using our 5th and three 6th round picks.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'am not into caring about tomorrow as much as I'am into caring about today, we have a HOF gunslinger with only 1 bullet, whats the use in buying a new gun? get more ammo.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

I don't play fantasy football so I don't think I could be a NFL GM. I am a fan I trust the Coach and GM to make decisions on the roster. Wins and losses are really the only things that concern me. This is the way the Packers develop QB's.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:45
I'am not into caring about tomorrow as much as I'am into caring about today, we have a HOF gunslinger with only 1 bullet, whats the use in buying a new gun? get more ammo.
The old gun is getting rusty and will soon be obsolete and you won't be able to buy ammo for it any longer. But hurry, there is a limited supply of new guns, so you better get yours now.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:04
Well last night, moving up and thinking we were going to grab queen, and then grabbing a guy that wont help us next year...i felt like i got punched in the stomach. This morning that nausea and shock has turned to anger. No i am not threatening violence against Gutey or anyone, this is just a metaphor. But to carry out my analogy i would be at the phase now where i have accepted and recovered from the pain of getting punched in my stomach, and i would like to go find the guy who did it and execute some vengeance.
Same boat man.

I was screaming on this board. TRADE UP TO 27. And then we traded to 26....I was so excited.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Chilli wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:41
Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:55
williewasgreat wrote:
24 Apr 2020 04:49
The Packers desperately need OT, DT, WR, ILB and have other obvious needs in depth. So, what do they do but move up to take a QB that could have been taken sitting where they were. When I woke up this morning to find out they did this I couldn't believe it. They lost a 4th round pick to take a questionable QB when they have so many other needs. What this tells me is that the team either does not have much confidence in Rodgers or Gutey is doing his best Al Davis imitation and has no plan whatsoever. I really wanted us to pick an OT, DT or ILB. I am disappointed!
Just have to trust Guty's board here. And the Packers weren't the only team trying to move up to get Love. The Colts were too. Maybe there were others. Green Bay actually had a call with Seattle's John Schneider that they cut off in order to pursue the trade with Miami. I'd say they acted with very high confidence.
Not just the Colts, I think the Raiders, Steelers, Saints and Patriots were potential suitors for trading up. There was competition no doubt.

The one advantage we had at that point was we still had a 1st round pick available, the other teams either didn't have one or they used their pick on a different player earlier on in the draft. We were in stronger position to outbid other teams.

If we didn't get involved in the trade and we stood pat then maybe the Colts would've packaged their high 2nd rounders to jump ahead of us.

So just to only give up a 4th round pick for that added peace of mind probably was worth it in Gute/Lafleur's eyes and we can always trade back into the 4th again using our 5th and three 6th round picks.
wha? that all we had to give was our 4th to get him tells me NO one else was that serious to move to get Love, this kid is not a QB you move for, he's a marginal talent, lots of flaws, there will be another Love nexy year and the year after.