Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I've just realised something. In two years Adams will be a free agent. So when/if Love is ready to take over Adams will likely not be here.

We are totally drafting a WR with our next pick. It simply has to happen to give Rodgers a WR2 but also to give Love a potential WR1 two years down the line and will have had lots of time to develop a chemistry with.

It makes too much sense.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

“Indy never called”
Last edited by Drj820 on 24 Apr 2020 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

salmar80 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:43
Sorry for quoting my own post, but I'd be real interested in getting y'all's takes on Love's tape.
I watched the LSU game. It looked a lot like 3rd stringers playing against starters in preseason.

He has a very fast release and I like his ball placement quite a bit. He was trying to throw receivers open, but the talent gap was just too massive for it to work sometimes, and they dropped a lot of balls. It appears like he goes through progressions very fast (out of necessity, his OL ole'd the D much of the time). I don't fault QB's for taking risks when things are out of hand or getting that way; its my biggest gripe with Rodgers, he's way too risk averse at times he shouldn't be. He can throw on the run (a key trait for me).

Give me arm power, ball placement, ability to throw on the run, and ability to process information fast. Everything else can be developed.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:52

“Indy never called”
They may not have been calling Miami but I think Indy would've called Seattle had we not traded up and we would've been sitting there at 30 struggling to figure out what to do next. Seattle loves to trade down and the Colts had the very attractive 33rd pick to dangle.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Alot of emotion so I stayed away last night. Y'all covered it for me haha.

New day and I'm more calm. I like Love the player. I didmt like the move or GB going after him. We are married to AR. I would have been cool going all in for the next 3 seasons and being aggressive to win a bowl. I still think we can hit homeruns today and add really good talent.

Weird idea a buddy threw at me last night. Maybe just maybe there will be no football this year so gb gets there qb who then sits 21 behind AR and then hand him the keys. I know crazy and sad if no football but right now who knows.

Heres to moving forward. A long day of drinking and smoking meat

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Scott4Pack wrote:
24 Apr 2020 01:16
Raptorman wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:18
Wow, guys. Way to draft an impact player for this year. Now if he works out 3-4 years from now.............
lol! Love this snarkey one raptor! Well done. I see the Vikes checked the “proper” boxes tonight. But that never has been the way in GB. We will see what surprises occur in round 2.
Well, I'm pretty sure most Packers fans are not enamored with the pick. He doesn't help the team this year or next, maybe not even into the third year. Unless the Packers want to eat a whole lot of dead cap money. Now, if he works out down the road Gute will be a genius. I'm sure there are players that could have helped this year. Gute has 2 picks tonight. Let's see if he can appease Packer fans for wanting to burn him at the stake right now.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I think it's time to show some love for Love:

Utah State was the only FBS program to offer Love a scholarship despite his excellent play at Liberty High School in Bakersfield (2,148 yards, 24 passing touchdowns; 806 rushing yards, eight rushing touchdowns). He looked like a future NFL starter while earning second-team All-Mountain West honors for the Aggies in 2018. Love ranked eighth in the FBS with 32 touchdown passes in 13 starts (267 of 417, 64.0 completion percentage, school single-season record 3,567 yards, six interceptions). His statistical production declined in 2019, garnering just honorable mention All-MWC honors as he threw an FBS-high 17 interceptions on the year (293 of 473, 62.0 completion percentage, 3,402 yards, 20 touchdowns; 81 carries, 175 yards, 2.2 ypc). Love showed glimpses of his talent as a redshirt sophomore in 2017, starting six of 12 games played (129 of 235, 54.9 completion percentage, 1,631 yards, eight touchdowns, six interceptions). Love was cited for marijuana possession in December but the case was dismissed in January.(NFL)
Challenging evaluation for quarterback-needy teams balancing traits and potential against disappointing 2019 tape. Staff turnover and new starters across the offense are partly to blame for his regression, but self-made flaws in process were also concerns. Love's accuracy took a step back, and his delayed reaction from "see it" to "throw it" when making reads is troubling. He has the arm to stick throws into tight windows but needs better eye discipline and anticipation to keep windows open. His size, mobility and arm talent combined with his 2018 flashes could be a winning hand that leads a team into the future or a siren's song of erratic play and unfulfilled potential. (NFL)

Strengths
  • Tall in the pocket and smooth, natural thrower
  • Keeps ball tucked and secure while scanning the field
  • Tight spirals come from a variety of arm slots
  • Offenses built upon intermediate and deep reads/throws
  • Confident passer attacking between the hashes
  • Makes athletic pocket exits when scrambling
  • Good open-field vision and speed to move the sticks
  • Arm strength to dime it into windows
  • Drops deeps balls in with plenty of air and touch
  • In 2018, trusted big receivers to make plays on 50/50s
  • Arm talent and swagger to attack field side Cover 2 hole
  • Has access to expedited, compact release when pressured
Weaknesses
  • Consistency and production took massive step backward in 2019
  • Looping windup part of slower operation time
  • Too much staring and telegraphing
  • Six games with multiple interceptions, including three pick-sixes
  • Below-average decision-making against zone looks
  • Allowed coverage to swarm due to lack of anticipation
  • Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches
  • Completed just 31.8 percent of his deep throws
  • Doesn't slide to safer launch points enough
  • Will void viable pockets at times
  • Needs to use eyes to hold safeties longer
  • Issues bringing in off-target snaps, leading to fumbles
Love is a case study in traits vs. production. He has the traits scouts love (arm strength, mobility, big-play mentality), but he threw 17 interceptions in 2019. No matter which team drafts him, Love is a sit-and-develop type quarterback, not a rookie starter. He must work on cleaning up his decision-making while also growing into a professional quarterback after coming from a conference where his arm strength and athleticism were good enough to win. Love is a major boom-bust prospect who could end up being the best quarterback from the class or a journeyman backup.(Bleacher Report)

GRADE: 88 (Bleacher Report)

PRO COMPARISON: Colin Kaepernick/Jake Locker
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I just realized this is probably the first time in we've had a player drafted, with his own thread, that show cases nothing about him. The pick is what it is right now, and Jordan is a Packer.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 09:25
salmar80 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:43
Sorry for quoting my own post, but I'd be real interested in getting y'all's takes on Love's tape. Six game cutups available here (one link doesn't work): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C3J ... sp=sharing

These ones I haven't watched yet, I have the others on page 9 of this thread:
You should start a new thread for this leading with the work you have already done. I am curious, as well, and would like to go through everyone's thoughts without searching for them between 15 fire Gutey posts.

:aok:
Did it. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110&p=4453#p4453

Thanks [mention]Waldo[/mention] for your initial analysis.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Chilli wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:03
Drj820 wrote:

“Indy never called”
They may not have been calling Miami but I think Indy would've called Seattle had we not traded up and we would've been sitting there at 30 struggling to figure out what to do next. Seattle loves to trade down and the Colts had the very attractive 33rd pick to dangle.

Or people are believing all the info they see about how many other teams wanted love in order to justify the pick.

Even though the only real evidence we have says that nobody in the top 25 wanted him, and the pats moved back instead of grabbing him.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:37
Chilli wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:03
Drj820 wrote:

“Indy never called”
Or people are believing all the info they see about how many other teams wanted love in order to justify the pick.

Even though the only real evidence we have says that nobody in the top 25 wanted him, and the pats moved back instead of grabbing him.

Happens in every pick analysis, this one no different. There's never any real evidence of anything.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:07
The players Guty loved that the Packers traded up for.

Jason Spriggs (TT was GM but Gutey loved him and pushed for him)
Oren Burks
Darnell Savage
Jordan Love
Was he also in love with Deshaun Kiser? Because somebody in the front office had a hard on for that guy.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Love should've picked 8

Love 8, Love Hate. Would've totally poked fun at the Packers fanbase. :lol:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Christo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:48
go pak go wrote:

Oren Burks
Darnell Savage
Jordan Love
Was he also in love with Deshaun Kiser? Because somebody in the front office had a hard on for that guy.
Yup, that would be Gutey. Once it didn’t work out, instead of giving up...he just drafted his clone.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Reality is every pick in the draft is a dart throw, there are no guarantees. This was not a 4/23/2020 decision by Green Bay. They identified him as a player they think could be great at the most important position on the team, and they were planning on getting him if he got to sniffing distance. Rodgers has been awesome for us, but he's getting older, and has had missed seasons for health. If it turns out that Love is as good as they think he is, here's some food for thought- even in 2021 if I understand it, the cap savings beats the dead money on Rodgers deal, and by 2022 it becomes a fairly easy out. We've been fortunate to have great QB play for the last 30 years here, and this gives us a realistic opportunity to continue that streak.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

APB wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:40
Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:37
Ted was absolutely hated for the pick (oh the "fond" memories of being called a TTard for not hating the pick).
And, in turn, Rodgers was hated for having the gall to be picked by Ted. "Ted's Cabana Boy" comes to mind...
That brings back memories...lol. I took a lot of crap for standing up for TT back then.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

These are the only Packers players I saw that tagged Jordan after he was drafted. Of course, Z was first. I don't think this means a lot, because I know players use a lot of other social media sites. But twitter is the only one I follow them on. Anyone have stuff from others?

RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:53
Christo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:48
go pak go wrote:

Oren Burks
Darnell Savage
Jordan Love
Yup, that would be Gutey. Once it didn’t work out, instead of giving up...he just drafted his clone.
To be fair, I think Love has way more upside than Kiser. But still have my doubts about this pick.
Going into this draft, I believed this was the more important draft for years to come. Lots of players contracts coming due next year. Some guys getting older and time to look for they're replacements. And to take a guy who , if all things work out, won't play for 4 years is is not my way to restock your team.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
24 Apr 2020 10:58
Reality is every pick in the draft is a dart throw, there are no guarantees. This was not a 4/23/2020 decision by Green Bay. They identified him as a player they think could be great at the most important position on the team, and they were planning on getting him if he got to sniffing distance. Rodgers has been awesome for us, but he's getting older, and has had missed seasons for health. If it turns out that Love is as good as they think he is, here's some food for thought- even in 2021 if I understand it, the cap savings beats the dead money on Rodgers deal, and by 2022 it becomes a fairly easy out. We've been fortunate to have great QB play for the last 30 years here, and this gives us a realistic opportunity to continue that streak.
what would the dead cap be if Rodgers decided to sit out and force a trade? even if he renegociated to lower the cap hit it would stii be huge, now I don't expect this to happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if he did it, just look at all the power struggles, and blame he's taken for what has been poor team management over the last 5 years, zero impact players on offense, in fact the last 1st round pick on offense ( not counting Love) was Sherrod, a lineman, and a bust at that.