Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - Round 1 - Pick 29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I wanted a guy this year that moved smoothly and looked to be elite and faster than everyone else out there. Alexander is that. Aaron Jones is that.

Watching Eric Stokes, he is most definitely that.

Honestly we should try him at punt returner too.
Last edited by go pak go on 29 Apr 2021 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:19
I wanted a guy this year that moved smoothly and looked to be elite and faster than everyone else out there. Alexander is that. Aaron Jones is that.

Watching Eric Stokes, he is most definitely that.

Honestly we should try him at punt returner too.
Pretty sure he took a KR to the house last year.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This dude talks as fast as he runs. Take a breath, Eric.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Word is the coaches at Georgie absolutely love his attitude and personality. They talked him up pretty big saying whoever gets him is getting a steal.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This is the kind of guy who makes you really glad you have a teacherlike Jerry Gray back there.

Listening to him talking about translating track speed to football by trying to focus on "technique technique technique"

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:25
This dude talks as fast as he runs. Take a breath, Eric.
I love it. He is genuinely excited.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:27
Word is the coaches at Georgie absolutely love his attitude and personality. They talked him up pretty big saying whoever gets him is getting a steal.
Yes I had also heard similar things. That coaches love him.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Eric Stokes used his speed to get on the college football radar. He was a tall, skinny, unheralded recruit in the spring of 2016 when he zipped through a sprint event so fast that Mel Tucker, a Georgia assistant at the time, texted a staff member: “Who is this kid?”

Then as Tucker and Georgia head coach Kirby Smart began talking to Stokes, it was the kid’s personality that they were attracted to the most. Stokes was so likable that the coaches really wanted to offer him a scholarship but struggled with whether he was worthy. Finally, they saw enough, and Stokes ended up being a starter for two-plus years and one of the better cornerbacks in the SEC.

Now, as Stokes enters the NFL as the 29th overall pick to the Packers, the same questions remain: He has the speed and the character. But does he have everything else?

For those two-plus seasons, Stokes faced some of the best receivers in the SEC. Fast receivers, tall receivers, great route-runners. He went more than a year without giving up a touchdown, and when other teams did have success against Georgia’s pass defense — Alabama and Florida in 2020, LSU in 2019 — it tended to be on the other side of the field. Stokes wasn’t going to out-physical the bigger receivers, but he used his speed, intelligence and technique to be in the right place.

“The kid is going to be where he needs to be every time,” Tucker said about Stokes in 2019. “He’s very intelligent. He’s one of those guys who you only have to tell him one time, and he’s got it. And he doesn’t say anything, he just sits there! He absorbs it.”

Dane Brugler on Eric Stokes (No. 7 CB, No. 51 overall prospect in The Beast)
Stokes has elite NFL play speed and won’t lose many foot races. He uses body control, patience and footwork to stay square and in phase. While his competitiveness downfield is a positive trait, he panics at times and needs to be more subtle with his contact (nine penalties in college). Overall, Stokes must correct his play recognition and transition flaws, but his size, speed and promising ball awareness are undeniable and scheme-versatile traits that will help him compete for starting reps early in his NFL career.

Top college highlight
It was a sack, believe it or not: During the 2019 season, Stokes rushed on a cornerback blitz and blind-sided the Tennessee quarterback, causing a fumble that teammate Tae Crowder returned for a touchdown. Stokes had four career interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown, and also blocked a punt for a touchdown. But that sack may be the most fan-pleasing moment of his career.

Coachspeak
“Speed, speed and more speed is the first thing he can bring. But he’s a high-character young man who has done so much for our program. People talk about the value he has on the field and the speed and the plays he’s made, but for all those things he’s great at, he’s a lot better person than anything else. He’s a guy who goes and works at the Boys & Girls Club. He reads to young kids across Athens. He’s a big brother to a sister who I know means a lot to him. He’s meant a lot to our organization and he’ll mean a lot to the next organization he goes to, both on and off the field.” — Georgia head coach Kirby Smart

Superlative
When Stokes was a freshman in high school, he lined up at a state championship track meet next to a senior who prepared by leaping with both feet about five feet in the air. That was now-Browns running back Nick Chubb, and the photo became a viral sensation. Only years later did Stokes point out that he was the one standing to Chubb’s left, who won the sprint but only because he nudged Stokes aside at the end, according to Stokes. He would later win state sprint titles, and also clocked a 4.25 in the 40-yard dash in preparation for the 2021 NFL Draft.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Fun interview. He was clearly really exited, upbeat and comfortable. Seems like a very high positive energy guy.

Don’t always get that vibe on these dry interview media interviews where these poor 20 year old southern or coastal kids find out that are gunna stuck in Wisconsin for 4 years. :lol:

I like him.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wait, did I accidentally manifest this pick into existence by sporting my UGA hat tonight?

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:32
Wait, did I accidentally manifest this pick into existence by sporting my UGA hat tonight?
The football gods see all <insert spooky music>
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, warming up to this pick real fast (like Stokes running that 40 lol) -!!

'Tweet is about Surtain, but... relevant:

'Some pretty impressive names on that list... :o
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Saw several of his games last couple years. He jumps off the screen.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Gutey says after the two CBs went in the top ten they weren't sure they could get Stokes. Classic GM speak but noteworthy, as well

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I feel the same way with this pick as I felt about King. Had he not had such great testing number he is probably a 3rd round guy. Super sloppy player in my opinion.

If you can coach technique into him hes a good pick but to me sloppy CB play stays sloppy. Time will tell.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

You haven't watched a down of his... Super sloppy. Come on... :messedup:
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 29 Apr 2021 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:39
Saw several of his games last couple years. He jumps off the screen.
This is true.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23