Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - Round 1 - Pick 29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:39
Gutey says after the two CBs went in the top ten they weren't sure they could get Stokes. Classic GM speak but noteworthy, as well
Also says they had the options and probably would trade back had Stokes gone off the board ahead of them.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:43
I feel the same way with this pick as I felt about King. Had he not had such great testing number he is probably a 3rd round guy. Super sloppy player in my opinion.

If you can coach technique into him hes a good pick but to me sloppy CB play stays sloppy. Time will tell.
Doesn't give up touchdowns. Has some of the best production in college football. Has amazing atheleticsm and character.

Are "scouts" just getting nitpicky and trying to knock a player to be cute? I am trying to find knocks on him outisde of "panics" and can get "grabby".

But the production seems to be there.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:49
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:43
I feel the same way with this pick as I felt about King. Had he not had such great testing number he is probably a 3rd round guy. Super sloppy player in my opinion.

If you can coach technique into him hes a good pick but to me sloppy CB play stays sloppy. Time will tell.
Doesn't give up touchdowns. Has some of the best production in college football. Has amazing atheleticsm and character.

Are "scouts" just getting nitpicky and trying to knock a player to be cute? I am trying to find knocks on him outisde of "panics" and can get "grabby".

But the production seems to be there.
This is a real knock: he got run over a lot and didn’t tackle well. Wasn’t a physical player in the run game.

Not sure how that will affect him, or if he can improve on it...but like Wally said, he does pop off the screen. He does make plays. He was a leader of the defense, but he did get picked on in big games in terms of teams running toss plays right at him and you see him on his back.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

One feature that I still want more of on our D is SPEED. Stokes surely has that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Ahmad Carroll or Sam Shields? Hopefully the latter.

Don't really care much because as people here say draft picks don't play as rookies.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Last time we had a speedster at CB like Sam Shields we won a Superbowl.

Last year's NFCCG was lost, in part, because of poor play at boundary CB.

Feels like the Packers got better today.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

To follow what British said, I don’t know any way that we can criticize this pick. It was a position of need. This guy has tools and a high ceiling.

Oh yeah, some druthers would’ve picked a different guy, or “we didn’t give Aaron Rodgers another weapon” stuff.

This was a very good pick. I’m happy with it.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

It would be sweet if this was the last time we go CB in RD 1 or 2 for while. I do agree that this pick could potentially significantly delay having to do that.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

already like this kid. He had a tweet years ago about not liking Brady, but I can't find it this morning.

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Here it is.
RIP JustJeff

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Look at it this way, when Stokes catches the ball for Rodgers, its way more valuable than when a WR does.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
30 Apr 2021 07:34
Here it is.
And now I love him.

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Fully support the pick. His speed and height is intriguing. Let's see if Stokes and Jaire can improve the D's 3rd down conversion performance. His tackling can't be any worse than what we saw in 2020.

Hey Gutey, DL and OL next please.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

He reminds me of Jamal Williams honestly, personality. Would love to get those two in a room, good vibes only.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
29 Apr 2021 22:49

Who is that Tennessee guy who comes across the field at the end? That's some speed.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

McGinn hasn't published his fuller "what the scouts say" on this pick yet, but for a sampling, here's what he put in his DB rankings from scouts a few days ago:
8. Eric Stokes, Georgia (6-foot-0½, 194, 4.31, Round 2): Third-year junior with 25 starts in 36 games.

“I like him, but he has worse ball skills than (Tyson) Campbell,” one scout said. “He had more interceptions than Campbell, so the ball might find him, but he’ll never be a natural at (picking off passes).”

Finished with 78 tackles (two for loss), four picks and 26 PBUs.

“He’s a starter,” said another scout. “He just doesn’t take the ball away the way other guys do.”

Ran the fastest 40 of the group. In fact, he was a state-champion sprinter in high school in Covington, Ga., clocking 10.39 seconds in the 100 meters.

“He needs to improve his ball skills,” a third scout said. “The height/weight/speed are going to be too hard to pass up.”

A fourth scout said Stokes brought to mind cornerback Stanford Routt, the 38th pick in the 2005 draft by the Raiders.

“He’s stiff,” he said. “He’s a track guy playing football.”

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I didn't post it because frankly that entire thing makes no sense at all.

To say he has worse ball skills than Campbell is asinine. Campbell had 1 INT his entire college career. Campbell had 10 PBUs his entire college career. Eric Stokes has 4 INTs and 23 PBUs as a bulldog.

He doesn't take the ball away like the other guys do? What other guys?!

The entire things reads as if these guys never say 2020 film...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

as soon as I read the stuff about tight hips, and that he rarely plays squared up I moved on to other prospects for our CB needs, we took Keven KIng based on speed, he to had a pre draft profile that spoke of these flaws, hopefully stokes can over come them.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:41
He doesn't take the ball away like the other guys do? What other guys?!
Let me expand on this.

Surtain - 4 INTs total, 2 in 2019
Horn - 2 INTs total, 2 in 2020
Farley - 6 INTs total, 4 in 2019
Newsome - 1 INT total, 1 in 2020
Samuel - 3 INTs total, 2 in 2020
Stokes - 4 INTs total, 4 in 2020

How in the $%@# can anyone say he doesn't take the ball away like the other guys do?

So one might say he just doesn't make plays on the ball.
Career PBUs:
Surtain - 24
Horn - 23
Farley - 19
Newsome - 20
Samuel - 29
Stokes - 22
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."