Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Andy Dalton we hardly knew ye.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]paco[/mention] , wrong thread.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

oops
RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

paco wrote:
29 Apr 2021 18:50
Here's a true fact. Mark Schlereth is worse at tweeting than he is in the TV booth.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

bud fox wrote:
29 Apr 2021 16:44
lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Apr 2021 16:39
APB wrote:
29 Apr 2021 16:36
Somebody - one of you cap guru’s - walk us through the cap impact of trading Rodgers away this weekend. Please.
We would lose $1mil in cap space.
Is that it?

Trade him now take what you can from the niners.

It's over.
Trade him to a team that is in your conference that is short a good QB? That would be really dumb.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I'm going to mostly stay out of this conversation until more info from the team or Rodgers comes out. But Gutey's post round 1 presser had some interesting nuggets.

1. They have no plans to trade Rodgers whatsoever. Direct quote "Its absolutely false. There's no truth to that whatsoever. There's a lot of false false reporting going around right now." Not surprised by this, they have no reason to budge.

2. Gutey acknowledged that they screwed up the communication of the Jordan Love pick last year. It's been reported that even coaches didn't know about it before it happened. Admitting is the first step. But its still a damn mess that could have been avoided.

3. Gutey is committed to Rodgers and seemed to elude that Jordan still has a lot of work to do. I can't find the exact quote, I may have to listen to it again. But there is zero doubt in my mind that they fully expect Rodgers to be the guy for 2021 and probably 2022. Gutey talks about him like the team would fall apart if he's not there. They aren't ready to transition yet(but its obviously in motion). They know they have 1 or 2 shots before they start over again.

I'll refrain from adding my views on who's to blame because this does do anyone any good. We've been through this before. I hope we handle it better as fans than we did with Favre.
RIP JustJeff

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Amazing how everyone in the media ignores the financial piece of this situation. Unless the Packers need to sign a FA right now there is no need to extend Rodgers until next year. Why would you extend a guy if you don't have to? This all seems like the agent trying to get Aaron money today instead of next year.

Just because Brady has stayed healthy doesn't mean Aaron will, especially because he still likes to extend plays(though not as much) and he doesn't like to just throw the ball away ala Brady. I like the Packers waiting on this and I'm really disappointed in Aaron not coming out and squashing these rumors. I know it's a business but there was a high road to take here and he didn't do it. He'll be partying his ass off in Kentucky this weekend with his coy smile while the fans that pay him have to deal with all this crap. Aaron's ratings on Jeopardy came from fans like us and he could give two &%$@ about the fans. Stop with this BS that last season sucked because the stadium was empty, I'm not buying it. He knows the Packer fan base is unique and he could care less about what days like yesterday do to the fans.

My last thought... earlier this year I said Brady going to TB and bringing Gronk and Brown with him is the same as Lebron going to Miami. The players are turning the NFL into the NBA and we the fans get stuck with it. The league is fully committed to the casual fan while fans like us that want to talk about X's and O's are being left out to hang. I'll be watching more golf instead.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Prolly just disagreement on whether or not Aaron can host jeopardy during the season.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

packman114 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 08:37
Amazing how everyone in the media ignores the financial piece of this situation. Unless the Packers need to sign a FA right now there is no need to extend Rodgers until next year. Why would you extend a guy if you don't have to? This all seems like the agent trying to get Aaron money today instead of next year.

Just because Brady has stayed healthy doesn't mean Aaron will, especially because he still likes to extend plays(though not as much) and he doesn't like to just throw the ball away ala Brady. I like the Packers waiting on this and I'm really disappointed in Aaron not coming out and squashing these rumors. I know it's a business but there was a high road to take here and he didn't do it. He'll be partying his ass off in Kentucky this weekend with his coy smile while the fans that pay him have to deal with all this crap. Aaron's ratings on Jeopardy came from fans like us and he could give two &%$@ about the fans. Stop with this BS that last season sucked because the stadium was empty, I'm not buying it. He knows the Packer fan base is unique and he could care less about what days like yesterday do to the fans.

My last thought... earlier this year I said Brady going to TB and bringing Gronk and Brown with him is the same as Lebron going to Miami. The players are turning the NFL into the NBA and we the fans get stuck with it. The league is fully committed to the casual fan while fans like us that want to talk about X's and O's are being left out to hang. I'll be watching more golf instead.
This is my main argument as well. So many people are quick to say that the front office messed this up. But Brady is the exception to the rule. Every other Elite QB hit the physical wall between the ages of 38 to 41. They're playing things exactly right.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I guess what I am most disappointed in Rodgers is I don't see the significant disservice he has been given the last 2 years beyond one selection who will not play until 2023 at the earliest.

The Packers clearly showed from 2019 and on that the Packers were committed to providing Rodgers a winner and they absolutely did that.

The 2019 Packers won despite mediocre play from Rodgers as we won due to our defense, running attack and coaching.

The 2020 Packers won because Rodgers had a great connection with MLF and played within an amazing system. Yes our 2020 defense took a step back but it was absolutely good enough to win it all and were getting in a groove at the proper time save for 3 plays in an NFC title game.

The 2020 Packers were good enough to win it all. Don't give me this "the Packers didn't provide Rodgers with anything". And the 2021 Packers will be in the top 5 teams conversations of again being good enough to win it all. Likely top 3 in the NFC.

You can't ask for anything more than that. At some point in the playoffs your blues need to step up. Last year Jones, Adams, Bak and to a point even Rodgers let the team down in the NFC Title Game. On defense Z and King let the defense down. But these are blue chip guys save King. These are guys any other team in the league would be envious to have.

So yeah. I get a little sick of Aaron's b*tching of how the Packers aren't looking out for him when the vast majority of their moves have been for Aaron Rodgers and the success for Aaron Rodgers for the window that we could really in all sense and purposes keep open from 2019 - 2022. And I think it is REALLY stupid for him to press these buttons this year and not wait until next year or even 2022. I thought he was deeper and smarter than that.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
30 Apr 2021 07:57
I'm going to mostly stay out of this conversation until more info from the team or Rodgers comes out. But Gutey's post round 1 presser had some interesting nuggets.

1. They have no plans to trade Rodgers whatsoever. Direct quote "Its absolutely false. There's no truth to that whatsoever. There's a lot of false false reporting going around right now." Not surprised by this, they have no reason to budge.

2. Gutey acknowledged that they screwed up the communication of the Jordan Love pick last year. It's been reported that even coaches didn't know about it before it happened. Admitting is the first step. But its still a damn mess that could have been avoided.

3. Gutey is committed to Rodgers and seemed to elude that Jordan still has a lot of work to do. I can't find the exact quote, I may have to listen to it again. But there is zero doubt in my mind that they fully expect Rodgers to be the guy for 2021 and probably 2022. Gutey talks about him like the team would fall apart if he's not there. They aren't ready to transition yet(but its obviously in motion). They know they have 1 or 2 shots before they start over again.

I'll refrain from adding my views on who's to blame because this does do anyone any good. We've been through this before. I hope we handle it better as fans than we did with Favre.
this all started when Murphy gave Rodgers the extension in 018 but then Kept McCarthy, Rodgers rebelled on that, and basically forced Guty and Murphy to fire him late that season, ( it was long over do, McCarthy was on the decline for several seasons)

then zero consultation with Rodgers prior to the Lafluer hiring, in fact openly chastising Rodgers when he complained about it, commom courtesy would have been to share prior there intentions, after all Rodgers has been a big part of the success of the team, same thing with the Love draft pick, simply conversing there intentions prior would have had a trust building affect between both the FO and Aaron, instead he was kept out of the plan going forward at every step, now the two party's have reached a impass, your right this was handled poorly at every stage.

first the extension, Rodgers still had two years left on the old contract, with hind sight it now appears as though Murphy was buying him off to keep quiet, " and don't make waves" he even said it to Rodgers after the Lafluer hire, basically pointing out, just play QB, and we'll take care of the hiring, that stuff is fine with a regular vet, but it doesn't work with a HOF QB thats been the catalist of a long tenure of team success, it was a insult, I hope they can work this out, but I'am starting to have doubts, this rift seems deeper then I originally thought yesterday.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It feels to me, based on the stuff about so many people being caught off guard, that Gutey genuinely acted kind of in-the-moment on-his-own without prior planning to grab Love when he fell that far. That's why no one was told in advance. Because he just didn't expect the guy to be there. And he clearly had a very high grade on him.

Gutey's presser last night had a tone that felt like he wanted Rodgers to hear it, and he wanted to publicly de-escalate a little. He seemed deferential and apologetic and willing to admit some fault. If Gutey sounded like the place may fall apart without Rodgers, I think that's half because Rodgers is an important part of their success and half to gently stroke the ego of one specific intended audience member. I thought it was a good performance for trying to mollify an angry star.

At the end of the day, what's done is done and if the team holds their ground, Rodgers either tries to win a Super Bowl with us for $25 million this year, or he sits out; maybe for the season, maybe for 10 or 11games, then returns so the year counts toward the end of his contract.

Honestly, Love going 6-5 for us, Rodgers coming back to play 1/3 season at 1/3 his salary against the cap and then leading us to a Super Bowl might be the most entertaining and dramatic potential outcome here. Not the one I'd want to sign up for in advance, but is fun from a future hindsight point of view.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:41
Honestly, Love going 6-5 for us, Rodgers coming back to play 1/3 season at 1/3 his salary against the cap and then leading us to a Super Bowl might be the most entertaining and dramatic potential outcome here. Not the one I'd want to sign up for in advance, but is fun from a future hindsight point of view.
I think if Jordan Love starts one game, the ship has sailed. I don't know how you can give the keys back to Rodgers, even given its Aaron Rodgers, for a half a season. To that end, I absolutely would call his bluff.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Gutey's presser last night had a tone that felt like he wanted Rodgers to hear it, and he wanted to publicly de-escalate a little. He seemed deferential and apologetic and willing to admit some fault.
I thought the same thing.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:47
YoHoChecko wrote:
I think if Jordan Love starts one game, the ship has sailed. I don't know how you can give the keys back to Rodgers, even given its Aaron Rodgers, for a half a season. To that end, I absolutely would call his bluff.
call his bluff? make no mistake about this Rodgers holds all the cards, if he wants out he's gone, he wont be sitting out, he wont even show up, and we will be forced to trade him for whatever we can get.

I thought Guty did a good job trying to defuse the situation, and it seems plausable that the pick was a last second thing since others have come forward and said we had no prior knowledge either, hopefully Rodgers accepts these comments, but I don't think his attitude stems from just the Love pick, it was brewing prior.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:49
YoHoChecko wrote:
Gutey's presser last night had a tone that felt like he wanted Rodgers to hear it, and he wanted to publicly de-escalate a little. He seemed deferential and apologetic and willing to admit some fault.
I thought the same thing.
Yes. And there was absolutely no blame or shade thrown AR's way.

Gutey even maintained composure and patiently answered all the AR questions in a press conference about the 1st round draft pick. That's taking a Peruvian -level high road...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:59
call his bluff? make no mistake about this Rodgers holds all the cards, if he wants out he's gone, he wont be sitting out, he wont even show up, and we will be forced to trade him for whatever we can get.
There is no such thing as forcing a trade. He either shows up and plays or does not. The team decides if he gets traded. A trade is forced when a team decides they'd rather get something for a player not playing on their team than get nothing and have him not play for their team and be a distraction.

But make no mistake, the team is the one who decides if he's traded or not. Rodgers can sit, play, or retire. He has no mechanism to force a trade.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:47
YoHoChecko wrote:

I thought Guty did a good job trying to defuse the situation, and it seems plausable that the pick was a last second thing since others have come forward and said we had no prior knowledge either, hopefully Rodgers accepts these comments, but I don't think his attitude stems from just the Love pick, it was brewing prior.
There is no doubt that calling his bluff would hurt the Packers. But it would hurt for Rodgers too. If he wants to be remembered for more than just money (which he always claims it's not about the money), then him sitting out on a season where he has a team that can take him all the way would be stupid and also ego damaging.

Yes we as an organization would suffer by not getting to have a serious shot at a title, but we still play football. Rodgers doesn't.

I wouldn't say that the Packers have more to lose than Rodgers at all. By staying out, he is irrelevant and he can' play a game he apparently loves when he is still at the top of his game. That has value too.

We control Rodgers until March 2024. He made that decision when he signed his massive deal in 2018 and we paid him that huge signing bonus. Right now it's about a public perception thing. At some point I think the needle starts to turn public favor being in favor of Rodgers to shifting to the Packers if Rodgers actually plays hardball and doesn't show up to TC or games. Especially if the Packers are still competitive without Rodgers. That would be worst case for Aaron.

Also, at some point Rodgers risks losing the respect of his teammates which is also "apparently" very important to him. These are all things he should have to and want to consider.
Last edited by go pak go on 30 Apr 2021 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 Apr 2021 10:02
Yoop wrote:
There is no such thing as forcing a trade. He either shows up and plays or does not. The team decides if he gets traded. A trade is forced when a team decides they'd rather get something for a player not playing on their team than get nothing and have him not play for their team and be a distraction.

But make no mistake, the team is the one who decides if he's traded or not. Rodgers can sit, play, or retire. He has no mechanism to force a trade.
you know I meant that we ( the FO) would not want the distraction, and would rather receive some compensation versus he sits a year and we get nothing, so in essence he would be forcing us to trade him