Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:44
NCF wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:43
Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:40
It’s kind of obvious to me that he wants to be the jeopardy host. Even over the Packers QB if the team isn’t thrilled about him doing both. He probably is trying to get to the West Coast so he can more easily do both.

Jeopardy seems to be the thing that has changed his calculus to me. Nothing else has really changed dramatically.
I mean, if this is the hang up, let me know and I will get in the Jeep and track down the Packers brass and slap them silly tonight. No reason to keep him from doing that. That makes zero sense to me.
I mean other than Rodgers has potentially planned on doing this since last draft, what else has changed?
I agree with your premise and it's an interesting observation but if it's true... it makes no sense. I am pretty pissed at Rodgers right now, but this would kind of put me 100% in his corner.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I really hope this is rodgers middle finger to Gutey and then they both just live in tension and know this thing is over after next season. It makes too much sense to come back one more time, and too little sense to divorce right now.

The Packers embarrassed 12 last draft, rodgers embarrassed the org last night..now let’s do what makes sense and make this divorce as smooth as it can be...NEXT YEAR.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:49
The Packers embarrassed 12 last draft, rodgers embarrassed the org last night..now let’s do what makes sense and make this divorce as smooth as it can be...NEXT YEAR.
I agree.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:45
Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:40
Rodgers was meta and cool just a couple months ago. Everytime he was asked he acted like his future would be up to the org.

It’s kind of obvious to me that he wants to be the jeopardy host. Even over the Packers QB if the team isn’t thrilled about him doing both. He probably is trying to get to the West Coast so he can more easily do both.

Jeopardy seems to be the thing that has changed his calculus to me. Nothing else has really changed dramatically.
This is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think Rodgers wants to be the Jeapardy host and is looking at his long term career and the Packers plans the next two or three years is in the way of that.
Rodgers bought a stake in the MKE Bucks. He wasn’t planning on leaving too long ago. I think this thing was over when they drafted Love. He just had decided that it Wil be in his terms and not the orgs now...i think Jeorpardy could have been that thing that pushed him into starting that process now.

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:49
I really hope this is rodgers middle finger to Gutey and then they both just live in tension and know this thing is over after next season. It makes too much sense to come back one more time, and too little sense to divorce right now.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:46
Yoop wrote:
obviously Rodgers now looks 2021 as his last season as a Packer, even though GUTY SAID THIS YEAR AND BEYOND, he doesn't trust Guty to be truthful concerning the beyond comment, and he doesn't want Guty to ship him to some team with zero chance to win another ring, he wants control of his destiny, imagine that, a ultra competitive athlete wants to have more success, the gall of this premi donna :rotf:
then don't sign a 6 year deal.

And again, it is in the best interest of the Packers to keep Rodgers for 21 and 22. So likely Rodgers gets shipped to a team he doesn't want for a year. Maybe two if trade happened in 22. Big whoop.

But doing what he is doing is not going to help his situation one bit. All he is maybe doing is ensuring he may now play for a crappy team he doesn't want to play for now 3 years rather 1 or 2 years.

Top notch strategic thinking there Rodgers.
he signed the contract with the faith that he would get to finish it, that the FO would act responsible and get rid Thompson and McCarthy, and he wouldn't be forced to be the bad guy and expose the ineptness of his coach, or that he would be excluded from even his opinion concerning a new coaching hire, and then watch his new GM draft his replacement with his first pick last year.

you've defended this FO at every turn, and they have really made some bone headed decisions, I doubt either eill change the others mind concerning this, so maybe we should just agree to disagree :mrgreen:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Picking Jordan love did this.

We didn’t have to force our way down this road yet.

But Gutey chose to. Rodgers was never the guy to take that on the chin and accept it.

Here’s to hoping Gutey was right about J Love.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Guty should be on the phone to every other team in the league. Trade him now. Somebody is bound to be unhappy with their 1st round pick. Or willing to give up the rest of their draft. Too bad Corey Linsley did not wait to sign.

Maybe Rodgers should have thought about all this when he folded like a house of cards at the end of 2019
Last edited by TheSkeptic on 30 Apr 2021 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:03
go pak go wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:46
Yoop wrote:
obviously Rodgers now looks 2021 as his last season as a Packer, even though GUTY SAID THIS YEAR AND BEYOND, he doesn't trust Guty to be truthful concerning the beyond comment, and he doesn't want Guty to ship him to some team with zero chance to win another ring, he wants control of his destiny, imagine that, a ultra competitive athlete wants to have more success, the gall of this premi donna :rotf:
then don't sign a 6 year deal.

And again, it is in the best interest of the Packers to keep Rodgers for 21 and 22. So likely Rodgers gets shipped to a team he doesn't want for a year. Maybe two if trade happened in 22. Big whoop.

But doing what he is doing is not going to help his situation one bit. All he is maybe doing is ensuring he may now play for a crappy team he doesn't want to play for now 3 years rather 1 or 2 years.

Top notch strategic thinking there Rodgers.
he signed the contract with the faith that he would get to finish it, that the FO would act responsible and get rid Thompson and McCarthy, and he wouldn't be forced to be the bad guy and expose the ineptness of his coach, or that he would be excluded from even his opinion concerning a new coaching hire, and then watch his new GM draft his replacement with his first pick last year.
And he literally would have had all of it save maybe being shipped away 1 year early (in 2023 during his burner year which he also agreed to in his contract by the way) if he decided to not be a little b*tch and demand to be shipped away from the team year 3 into his 6 year deal.

This isn't about defending the FO. This is about how unbelievably stupid the though process of Aaron Rodgers is right now and how these petty decisions he has made the last 24 hours has done nothing but damage him and the Packers and our draft weekend.

Like if you were Rodgers in September 2018 and were told vaguely how the next 3 years would go....you take what actually happened in a second. It could not have gone better for him save the team on a micro scale not making one or two plays different last January.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:04

But Gutey chose to. Rodgers was never the guy to take that on the chin and accept it.
Literally every Rodgers quote when talking about how he would be different than Favre based on personal experience showed he should have accepted it better than he did.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:

By that logic, every player on the team who has someone in their position drafted this weekend should take to Twitter to cause drama.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. It's Rodgers. But how many times has he said he's the ultimate team player. Not looking so much like one right now.
Last edited by Acrobat on 30 Apr 2021 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Not sure I even want Rodgers back now lol, it's gonna be nauseating hearing about this drama all year if he returns. =/

I guess we could roll with a The Last Dance storyline like MJ's last season in Chicago (awesome documentary on NetFlix, highly recommend it) as fuel to a championship ending. That kind of ending is the one thing that will make all this crap worth it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Revisionist history because people forget where we were this time last year. Rodgers was coming off of 2 average QB years. He was 36. He was a far cry from where he had been. The pick was understandable to an extent. What was not understandable was extending Rodgers and then 2 years later thinking he can't cut it and drafting Love.

HOWEVER, if Rodgers still thinks that Love is a threat, he needs to man up play like he isn't. Mentally weak if he is still bothered by Jordan Love.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:13
Revisionist history because people forget where we were this time last year. Rodgers was coming off of 2 average QB years. He was 36. He was a far cry from where he had been. The pick was understandable to an extent. What was not understandable was extending Rodgers and then 2 years later thinking he can't cut it and drafting Love.

HOWEVER, if Rodgers still thinks that Love is a threat, he needs to man up play like he isn't. Mentally weak if he is still bothered by Jordan Love.
ya he really looked worried that LOve would have him riding pine last year, in 018 he was working with rookie receiver with low floors, in route concepts that required more seasoned talent with better route running ability, yet it's Rodgers fault, McCarthy should have been fired two years prior.

019 was a new scheme, new coach, we where lucky to have Rodgers or even with the great defensive play we'd have been lucky to finish 8-8.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:

Yep, you could even push that further back and say that since 2015, other than a stretch of the last 8 games of 2016 and flashes in the beginning of 2016, Rodgers wasn't playing anywhere close to an MVP level. Yeah his stats were still a lot better than a lot of QB's but he was far from what he showed between 2009 and 2014.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Reading all the speculation posted here is interesting, but it is just speculation. I would not trade Rodgers if I were GM. I would simply say play or sit, those are your choices. The Packers can't trade him without getting some sort of a decent QB in return, as they have no QB right now. Whether or not Love will be good some day is irrelevant, he is not now. Rodgers is too old to sit for very long, unless he is willing to retire from football. I do place some blame on Packer management, as they have spent years now doing less than they could or should have.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:30
Pckfn23 wrote:

Yep, you could even push that further back and say that since 2015, other than a stretch of the last 8 games of 2016 and flashes in the beginning of 2016, Rodgers wasn't playing anywhere close to an MVP level. Yeah his stats were still a lot better than a lot of QB's but he was far from what he showed between 2009 and 2014.
duh, neither was the offensive support cast, since 2014 we've had ONE receiver the defense actually had to game plan for, one, but lets blame Rodgers for that, plus almost zero running game, and a defense with holes at multiple positions.

Rodgers has done more with less then any other QB in the league, do you even bother to look stuff up, I mean stuff thats relevent to this situation? no first round picks on offense for a decade, no first round WR's since jevon Walker, Adams the last 2nd rounder was 2014, Rodgers has been a miracle worker.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drafting Love definitely did this insofar as it's the reason why the management is unwilling to give Rodgers the extension he seems to be looking for. I don't really buy into the idea that making that pick was some kind of insult and Rodgers has hard feelings over it, but it's the crux of (the crux of) the issue, i.e. unwillingness to extend Rodgers making him unhappy.

On the one hand, I am disappointed that Rodgers's camp is handling things this way. But I am also kinda annoyed that the FO is unwilling to commit to Rodgers long-term, and for what? A complete unknown in Jordan Love?

Like it or not (and some are not going to like this), but Love is going to be compared to Rodgers early in his career, and those comparisons will be completely fair because his selection cut short the Rodgers era, so being the "better" QB over the same period that they are playing is the only thing that will make that worth it. Or leading us to win more Lombardis, which is in and of itself a comparison to Rodgers.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:41
Drafting Love definitely did this insofar as it's the reason why the management is unwilling to give Rodgers the extension he seems to be looking for. I don't really buy into the idea that making that pick was some kind of insult and Rodgers has hard feelings over it, but it's the crux of (the crux of) the issue, i.e. unwillingness to extend Rodgers making him unhappy.

On the one hand, I am disappointed that Rodgers's camp is handling things this way. But I am also kinda annoyed that the FO is unwilling to commit to Rodgers long-term, and for what? A complete unknown in Jordan Love?

Like it or not (and some are not going to like this), but Love is going to be compared to Rodgers early in his career, and those comparisons will be completely fair because his selection cut short the Rodgers era, so being the "better" QB over the same period that they are playing is the only thing that will make that worth it. Or leading us to win more Lombardis, which is in and of itself a comparison to Rodgers.
so many rumors surrounding this, not sure what Rodgers contract demands are now, it seemed months ago that he just wanted guarantees that he'd be here till the 2023 season was complete, but I don't know if thats the case now, we are in no position to trade him, so I think it's best for now and till the end of his contract to make sure he's here.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Acrobat wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:09
Drj820 wrote:

By that logic, every player on the team who has someone in their position drafted this weekend should take to Twitter to cause drama.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. It's Rodgers. But how many times has he said he's the ultimate team player. Not looking so much like one right now.
As I’m sure you know, and you already kind of recognize..there are how things should work, and how things work. It would be rare for any HOF caliber player to watch his org move up in a draft to get his replacement while the HOF player still thinks he has years to play and is under contract.

Rodgers displeasure with the situation is pretty typical for how that situation would play out i believe.

Everybody can say good riddance..and it may be the best thing. But players of Rodgers caliber don’t walk through that door every time the job opens up. We are in rare air to have struck gold back to back in the past. It’s most typical to go to the toilet for a while.