Ghost's Crystal Ball and AR

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

NCF wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:21
Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:18
when he signed that contract he was expecting to be allowed ti finish it
See, this is where I call BS. Rodgers is a smart guy. He knows how NFL contracts work. He could have taken less money overall to get a Kirk Cousins, fully guaranteed type of deal, but he didn't.
Totally this. Was actually really surprised he signed such a traditional contract at the time.

Find a way to keep Aaron pist off, but not mad enough to not play. Win the damn Super Bowl, get a lot of picks for Aaron, cut some fat off the salary, anyone not still in their prime in 3 years, and let’s kick off chapter 3 of this HOF run we’re on.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:46
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
See, this is where I call BS. Rodgers is a smart guy. He knows how NFL contracts work. He could have taken less money overall to get a Kirk Cousins, fully guaranteed type of deal, but he didn't.
Totally this. Was actually really surprised he signed such a traditional contract at the time.

Find a way to keep Aaron pist off, but not mad enough to not play. Win the damn Super Bowl, get a lot of picks for Aaron, cut some fat off the salary, anyone not still in their prime in 3 years, and let’s kick off chapter 3 of this HOF run we’re on.
this is so funny, most of this place wanted Rodgers to be the most expensive player in the league, it was some sort of sic o bragging point. I was against the contract extension at the time, in fact I said we could tag him for a year or two if we couldn't get him to accept the terms, then Murphy handed him the years and guarantee's, no way I blame Rodgers for taking it, and he sure as hell figured he'd get to finish it, who wouldn't, provided he was healthy and still playing at a high level, you people are being less the honest here.

find a way to keep Aaron pissed off, wow.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

No idea how or why Rodgers would prefer to go to a denver team with an incomplete roster anyways, that we just ransacked to complete the grade in a city that isn’t in Cali that plays in the same division as the chiefs.

It makes no sense Denver would be on his list of potentials.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

If we get rid of Rodgers thats not cutting fat off the cap. Its muscle.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:42
BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:

Muscles weaken over time though Lupe.

RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:40
No idea how or why Rodgers would prefer to go to a denver team with an incomplete roster anyways, that we just ransacked to complete the grade in a city that isn’t in Cali that plays in the same division as the chiefs.

Denver isnt so bad in terms of talent. One of the better defensive coaches in the league. They have a solid defense in general and you also have to think how Denver did things to win the Super Bowl when they acquired Manning. It was very Brady like. They went out and got players to help him win.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:46
lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:42
BF004 wrote:

Muscles weaken over time though Lupe.

Sure. Havent seen any signs of that considering he just had the 2nd greatest QB season of all time only behind himself.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:40

These situations are seldom about the "next" destination. It's about getting away from where you are now and whatever the next place is giving you more of what you supposedly want.

In theory, the next destination will give Rodgers...
*more guaranteed money (any new team will offer this)
*A preferable living situation (He would prefer to be out west and it is rumored that his fiance has a house in Colorado)
*More freedom to do what he wants (Elway will loosen the reigns and give Rodgers more power than he has now)
*Still a chance to win. This doesn't mean they have to be better than the team he is leaving. Just believe he can do it there and the management will do what he wants to get it (again with point 3).

For all of these reasons Denver makes a lot of sense. Plus, they have pieces that "could" make a trade possible. Unlike the 49ers or Rams. Vegas I think he'll get some of what he wants, but not the power. Gruden and Mayock won't put up with that.
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:28
BF004 wrote:
NCF wrote:

this is so funny, most of this place wanted Rodgers to be the most expensive player in the league, it was some sort of sic o bragging point. I was against the contract extension at the time, in fact I said we could tag him for a year or two if we couldn't get him to accept the terms, then Murphy handed him the years and guarantee's, no way I blame Rodgers for taking it, and he sure as hell figured he'd get to finish it, who wouldn't, provided he was healthy and still playing at a high level, you people are being less the honest here.

Aaron took the contract extension when he did, because the earlier you get the guarantees, the earlier you are protected against injuries. AR hadn't been an ironman up to that point. The team assumed the risk in the early years in exchange of having more options at the back end of the deal (and while the extension was massive, it wasn't as much as he would've gotten as a UFA).

The contract is working exactly as intended: AR was totally safe the first years, and now it's team option years with a QB approaching 40 years of age. There's no way AR didn't foresee this. Even if we hadn't drafted Love, it was gonna be year-by-year from 2021 onwards. And no GM is gonna touch that contract with 3 years remaining, next year is the very earliest there would even be talks. It was a fair deal.

This drama isn't arising from a bad contract, it's other things.

----

Kinda funny you, yoop, wanted us to try and play the tag game with AR. Yeah, I'm sure THAT would've gone swimmingly and he wouldn't have gotten bitter and vindictive and bolted after a tag year at all.... :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:57
Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 16:28
BF004 wrote:

Aaron took the contract extension when he did, because the earlier you get the guarantees, the earlier you are protected against injuries. AR hadn't been an ironman up to that point. The team assumed the risk in the early years in exchange of having more options at the back end of the deal (and while the extension was massive, it wasn't as much as he would've gotten as a UFA).

The contract is working exactly as intended: AR was totally safe the first years, and now it's team option years with a QB approaching 40 years of age. There's no way AR didn't foresee this. Even if we hadn't drafted Love, it was gonna be year-by-year from 2021 onwards. And no GM is gonna touch that contract with 3 years remaining, next year is the very earliest there would even be talks. It was a fair deal.

This drama isn't arising from a bad contract, it's other things.

----

Kinda funny you, yoop, wanted us to try and play the tag game with AR. Yeah, I'm sure THAT would've gone swimmingly and he wouldn't have gotten bitter and vindictive and bolted after a tag year at all.... :rotf:
ya I only mentioned the tag because I didn't want to do the extension, I wanted McCarthy fired and a new coach first, it was so obvious that McCarthy was being stubborn with adjusting the schemes, I even outlandishly claimed Rodgers refused to take the check downs, purposely during stretchs of games when the outcome was not in danger, now I admit I was probably wrong about that, but my point was that Rodgers wanted more then just a few check downs and slants to encompass short passing schemes but thats all McCarthy was willing to give him.

as I said the contract timing to me was about appeasing Rodgers and to back him off concerning when to get rid of McCarthy, didn't work, Rodgers wouldn't even talk to Mike after the 5th or 6th game.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

[mention]Yoop[/mention] I think it's about time the warden comes and gets you :lol: :mrgreen: ;)
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Apr 2021 17:37
@Yoop I think it's about time the warden comes and gets you :lol: :mrgreen: ;)
haha, the warden would never allow me this much time to argue on a PC :lol:

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 17:40
TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Apr 2021 17:37
@Yoop I think it's about time the warden comes and gets you :lol: :mrgreen: ;)
haha, the warden would never allow me this much time to argue on a PC :lol:
:lol: :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Raptorman wrote:
30 Apr 2021 15:23
Christo wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:14
Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 13:47
AR is no different then most of us, if we put our heart into something we want the security that we'll be allowed to continue that love ( no pun) affair, Rodgers wants to know that he'll be allowed to continue as the starting QB till it's obvious he needs to retire, I doubt it's about money, it's more so about respect.
I have to say, I'm really tired of hearing about players claiming they want " security " The guy signed a contract that is going to pay him in excess of a 100 million dollars. If he can't " get by " on that, he's got problems.

As for respect, that's a 2 way street. Stop crying in public or even worse, having " your people " do it for you.
Show some balls and do it yourself.
As far as I can tell, Rodgers hasn't said crap in public. And I don't see anyone from his camp making comments.
All of the " leaks " are coming from his people.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 14:31
Christo wrote:
Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 13:47
AR is no different then most of us, if we put our heart into something we want the security that we'll be allowed to continue that love ( no pun) affair, Rodgers wants to know that he'll be allowed to continue as the starting QB till it's obvious he needs to retire, I doubt it's about money, it's more so about respect.
I have to say, I'm really tired of hearing about players claiming they want " security " The guy signed a contract that is going to pay him in excess of a 100 million dollars. If he can't " get by " on that, he's got problems.

As for respect, that's a 2 way street. Stop crying in public or even worse, having " your people " do it for you.
well you can be tired of it all you want, it's human nature, and no different with high priced athletes, respect is shown with contract dollars orrrr the simple courtesy of being included even to a modest degree with team (company ) decisions.
Funny, aren't you the same guy who moans about players that weren't drafted by the Packers. If you don't like somebody's point of view, then stop throwing yours's around.

And again, anyone who gives a player say in the construction of any roster is an idiot.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

most of this place wanted Rodgers to be the most expensive player in the league
never happened
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
30 Apr 2021 18:15
Yoop wrote:
Christo wrote:

well you can be tired of it all you want, it's human nature, and no different with high priced athletes, respect is shown with contract dollars orrrr the simple courtesy of being included even to a modest degree with team (company ) decisions.
Funny, aren't you the same guy who moans about players that weren't drafted by the Packers. If you don't like somebody's point of view, then stop throwing yours's around.

And again, anyone who gives a player say in the construction of any roster is an idiot.
your the one spouting nonsense here, Players of Rodgers caliber, just like top level employees are given input with CO/ team decisions regularly, or at least allowed to share there opinions, all those GM's and CO CEO's must be idiots then according to you.
ya like everyone else here I have a opinion about players the Packers don't take, after all this is a message board.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 19:06
most of this place wanted Rodgers to be the most expensive player in the league
never happened
I wish I could go back and drag up one of your post, you know damn well people here boasted about it, bragged about it, never said you.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Yoop wrote:
30 Apr 2021 19:20
Christo wrote:
30 Apr 2021 18:15
Yoop wrote:

your the one spouting nonsense here, Players of Rodgers caliber, just like top level employees are given input with CO/ team decisions regularly, or at least allowed to share there opinions, all those GM's and CO CEO's must be idiots then according to you.
ya like everyone else here I have a opinion about players the Packers don't take, after all this is a message board.
If I'm not mistaken, Jimmy Graham was kept around for an extra year because Rodgers wanted him. He liked having somebody close to his age on the team.
Can't really say that worked out all that well.

Nobodies saying a GM can't ask a player if he has any questions about bringing in someone. Such as, you think he can play here or are there any issues between you guys. But giving him say in draft picks is crazy.
Players don't scout, don't interview and don't spend hours watching tape of some obscure kid in a division 3 school.

Do you really think any player on the Packers knew anything about Aaron Jones when he was in college?

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Packers will trade him. No coming back from this.

Just move him get what you can and move forward.