General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Looking back at old comments, I thought Willis was a Day 2 DT, which I guess makes me both excited by this waiver claim and embarrassed by how far off I was that he went undrafted. :lol: :messedup:

Here's the nfl.com "sources tell us":

"He's going to have to get that pad level corrected or he's going to have a hard time staying on the field. He's either in the backfield or getting knocked around. No in-between with him." -- Personnel director with AFC team

and summary:
Feast or famine 3-technique whose game is characterized by splashy wins and glaring losses from snap to snap. Willis is a one-gapper who has enough initial quickness and footwork to find success in the backfield, but poor pad level gets him bludgeoned by double teams too frequently. He's an active rusher with change of direction to harass the pocket which could bolster his draft stock and make him a rotational backup with eventual starter potential if he plays with a more functional pad level.

Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sweet!!!

We loved Gerald Willis last year. We also thought he was a Rd 3 - 5 guy aaaaand he went undrafted. :lol:

But we still need a two gapper. Bring me Snacks Harrison!!!
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

go pak go wrote:
21 Apr 2020 19:15
But we still need a two gapper. Bring me Snacks Harrison!!!
This. But I would imagine he would want more than we have/are willing to pay.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

If you're loaded, Aaron Rodgers is auctioning stuff for charity, including his sweaty game jersey and a personal tour of the Lambeau Field as a part of the (rather incorrectly named) All-In Challenge featuring a lot of celebrities.

https://eu.packersnews.com/story/news/2 ... 008872001/

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
23 Apr 2020 02:41
If you're loaded
:beer:

:beer2:

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

All would be nice, but just once damnit I want some field passes, unrestricted.

Eavesdrop on all the sideline discussions.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Not real sure the best thread for this...but just general packers chat. Let’s look at the Packers top nfc competitors.

Vikings: got a top secondary prospect and a great WR prospect when they already have a Thielen and Dalvin at rb.

Cowboys: Got a top two WR in the draft after already having a Gallup, zeke, amari.

Niners:represented the nfc in the super bowl, went and reloaded at DL and got the perfect WR for their system.

Eagles: Needed a WR, passed on Jefferson...went unpopular pick but still addressed their top need.

Saints: Went with top center in draft. Made Protecting their old qb a top priority. Has a qb older than Rodgers and passed on Love.

Seahawks: After giving Wilson Metcalf last draft, they go immediate starter in the secondary to bolster the defense.

Packers: paid qb tons of money, need OT, WR, and ILB...draft a guy who 25 other teams passed on that won’t see the field for three years.

Nauseating how we don’t go for it while the window is open and other teams are improving for 2020.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm gonna add context comments in red within the quote
Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:16
Not real sure the best thread for this...but just general packers chat. Let’s look at the Packers top nfc competitors.

Vikings: got a top secondary prospect and a great WR prospect when they already have a Thielen and Dalvin at rb.
Replaced Diggs and Rhodes with rookies

Cowboys: Got a top two WR in the draft after already having a Gallup, zeke, amari.
Replaced Cobb with a top rookie WR

Niners:represented the nfc in the super bowl, went and reloaded at DL and got the perfect WR for their system.
Replaced DeForrest Buckner and Emmanuel Sanders with rookies

Eagles: Needed a WR, passed on Jefferson...went unpopular pick but still addressed their top need.

Saints: Went with top center in draft. Made Protecting their old qb a top priority. Has a qb older than Rodgers and passed on Love.
This is just my two cents, but when the Saints came up, I was terrified they'd take Love and be relevant/great for the next 10 years after Brees retires this year

Seahawks: After giving Wilson Metcalf last draft, they go immediate starter in the secondary to bolster the defense.

Packers: paid qb tons of money, need OT, WR, and ILB...draft a guy who 25 other teams passed on that won’t see the field for three years.
Replaced Bulaga, Martinez, and Allison with free agents; needs still remain, but if we took an OT in the first, that guy also would be sitting for a year or two barring injury

Nauseating how we don’t go for it while the window is open and other teams are improving for 2020.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:27
I'm gonna add context comments in red within the quote
Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:16

Replaced Diggs and Rhodes with rookies

Replaced Cobb with a top rookie WR

Replaced DeForrest Buckner and Emmanuel Sanders with rookies

This is just my two cents, but when the Saints came up, I was terrified they'd take Love and be relevant/great for the next 10 years after Brees retires this year

Replaced Bulaga, Martinez, and Allison with free agents; needs still remain, but if we took an OT in the first, that guy also would be sitting for a year or two barring injury

Here is some context:

other contenders: had fewer needs than the packers, reloaded, got better.

Packers: had large needs, drafted a player we hope doesn’t play for three seasons.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Rookies don't make you better by default. If anything they make you worse. Don't know until after the season, but the draft does not typically fix problems in year 1. If you are using the draft that way, then you pick at the top of rounds often.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:45
Here is some context:

Packers: had large needs, drafted a player we hope doesn’t play for three seasons.
Why do you think other contenders had fewer needs?

As I mentioned, after trading away Buckner and letting Sanders walk, the 49ers had needs there. The Saints need a #2 WR just as badly, if not more so, than we do; and their defense has more holes than ours. The Cowboys and Eagles have plenty of needs and t's kind of you to even call them contenders. The Vikings have, thus far, only replaced the players they lost. Further, not every draft pick works.

I don't like the pick, either. I think it is a year or two too early to draft the heir apparent. I think trading up and losing a 4th in a deep draft at need positions was a mistake. I, in fact, called it "unforgiveable."

But acting as if all the other teams are getting loads better while we aren't is an overreaction. Like, I'm sorry, but a rookie C is not putting the Saints over the top; that's just ridiculous. Justin Jefferson is in no way assured to be able to replace Diggs' production--he's probably a downgrade at least in the short term. Brandon Ayiuk, as we all mentioned here, is a great fit for the offenses we and the 49ers run, but is also a very raw route runner despite being a senior rather than an early-entrant.

At 26, Queen was the only player left on my board that I wanted in the first round. It was a very bad board for us after the early-mid twenties. Had we stayed put, Queen would have been gone, too. And Gutey said the trade down options were not very appealing. To evidence that, we got a bargain on the trade to move up; trade charts that were accurate on other first-round trades had us needing to give a 3 and take back a 5, or to give a 4 and a 5. Teams moving down struggled to find partners.

So we were sitting at the end of round one with fairly few options. Let's see if we get a starting WR and a starting-caliber developmental OT, and a guy who can compete for time at ILB by the end of the next couple rounds. I've been saying all offseason the rookie impact from this class was going to be very limited by the fact that we really only have an opening at WR and MLF tends to prefer rookies to develop on the bench or in part time roles.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
Here is some context:

I disagree that other contenders had fewer needs and we had larger ones. Other than maybe KC I think the amount of needs was fairly similar.

I agree that they addressed those immediate needs yesterday whereas we did not.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:57
Drj820 wrote:
Here is some context:

Why do you think other contenders had fewer needs?

As I mentioned, after trading away Buckner and letting Sanders walk, the 49ers had needs there. The Saints need a #2 WR just as badly, if not more so, than we do; and their defense has more holes than ours. The Cowboys and Eagles have plenty of needs and t's kind of you to even call them contenders. The Vikings have, thus far, only replaced the players they lost. Further, not every draft pick works.

I don't like the pick, either. I think it is a year or two too early to draft the heir apparent. I think trading up and losing a 4th in a deep draft at need positions was a mistake. I, in fact, called it "unforgiveable."

But acting as if all the other teams are getting loads better while we aren't is an overreaction. Like, I'm sorry, but a rookie C is not putting the Saints over the top; that's just ridiculous. Justin Jefferson is in no way assured to be able to replace Diggs' production--he's probably a downgrade at least in the short term. Brandon Ayiuk, as we all mentioned here, is a great fit for the offenses we and the 49ers run, but is also a very raw route runner despite being a senior rather than an early-entrant.

At 26, Queen was the only player left on my board that I wanted in the first round. It was a very bad board for us after the early-mid twenties. Had we stayed put, Queen would have been gone, too. And Gutey said the trade down options were not very appealing. To evidence that, we got a bargain on the trade to move up; trade charts that were accurate on other first-round trades had us needing to give a 3 and take back a 5, or to give a 4 and a 5. Teams moving down struggled to find partners.

So we were sitting at the end of round one with fairly few options. Let's see if we get a starting WR and a starting-caliber developmental OT, and a guy who can compete for time at ILB by the end of the next couple rounds. I've been saying all offseason the rookie impact from this class was going to be very limited by the fact that we really only have an opening at WR and MLF tends to prefer rookies to develop on the bench or in part time roles.
All of those teams picked players in spots they already had quality in. They just got even stronger. The cowboys already had amari, the Vikings already had thielen, the Niners already had deebo Samuel and a loaded DL, and got stronger in those spots. The eagles needed a wr and drafted one.

The packers needed an ILB, Wr or ILB. Queen or Thomas at OT was available and we selected a guy we hope to play in three years.

You Don’t see the difference?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 12:00
Drj820 wrote:
Here is some context:

I disagree that other contenders had fewer needs and we had larger ones. Other than maybe KC I think the amount of needs was fairly similar.

I agree that they addressed those immediate needs yesterday whereas we did not.
Fair

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:47
Rookies don't make you better by default. If anything they make you worse. Don't know until after the season, but the draft does not typically fix problems in year 1. If you are using the draft that way, then you pick at the top of rounds often.
see I just don't think that is necessarily true since UFA started, now you just don't have as long of time to develop players, you have to rely even more now of getting 2 starters in every draft, or more talent goes out the door then it's possible to replace with a average of less then that draft classes, remember when Ron Wolf mentioned that years ago? and that was before UFA, so imo it's a lot more important now.

Guty did that last year, al be it with a little more draft amo, hey we can agree to disagree about the Love pick, to me though, unless we don't know something concerning Rodgers, I don't see a dead man walking, heck if anything I see a player so starved for talent and in a new scheme he second guesses himself, and that causes some of the problems we see, couple that with his lack of faith that these receivers will be where there suppose to be and he looks worse then he should, helping him do better would have been my choice over finding his replacement. :mrgreen:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 11:57

Agree here. I got talked into Mims being in this range, but he is more of a mid-2nd guy and I should have stuck to my convictions on that. I saw Claypool as a guy I thought we would really covet, but based on comments from the board, it sounds like no one would have been happy with that.

I, personally, loved Queen, but I think the Packers would have passed on him at 30, anyway. It was pretty dry there.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Kumerow and Tonyan signed their tenders today.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

$%@# You ESPN!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
04 May 2020 12:05
I have seen this mentioned several times now and kept thinking, why would anyone want a facemask... (as in, equipment that goes with the helmet)?

:oops:

Read More. Post Less.