Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Foosball wrote:
01 May 2021 08:03
:nono:
go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 07:57
Foosball wrote:
01 May 2021 07:50
Thompson, who mishandled the Favre fiasco IMO, only received a 5th rounder for him.

I only hope Gute handles it differently and gets some good compensation for Rodgers.
How does this happen? How do fans forget history and paint a picture in their head that is wrong?

We got a 3rd for trading Favre to the Jets and we used that 3rd from the Jets along with our 2nd and 3rd round picks (we traded pick 41, 73 and 83) to move up to 26 and selected Clay Matthews.

It was one of the best moves by Ted Thompson.

You’re right my mistake. It was a 3rd round pick. But my point was Favre was worth more. Much more. I’m not going to get into the whole fiasco again.
Yeah. And I'm sorry as I was a jerk about it. I am just salty right now. If I remember right, the trade was conditional. So 3rd if he made starts, 2nd if the Jets made the playoffs and I think 1st if the Jets made the SB. I also think it was like 3 1sts if the Jets traded Favre to MN or something.

I think we took a discount because we already knew we wanted to move on. In this case, we don't want to move on. The job is Aaron's and therefore we would expect a significantly higher premium to move him.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 May 2021 08:53
I really feel that Love would benefit greatly from another year and the team should do whatever it takes to get him that year.

Also, trading Rodgers after the draft doesn’t make a ton of sense, so it looks like they won’t this year. The ball is in Rodgers’ court. His leverage is very slim
I think it makes more sense trading him after the draft. We can’t financially handle it until after June 1st.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 May 2021 08:10

people think players don't want to come to GB because of the cold weather, no, they don't want to come to GB because of the way the FO has treated players
Probably the worst sentence I have ever read on this forum. It's right up there.

GB has historically been one of the best "treat your own players well" franchise in the league. We draft our players. We resign our players. We pay good money for our players. We have historically given fair contracts to our players and our players say that all the time.

The Packers rarely do bush league sh*t to its players. Now New England on the other hand does this all the time. NE is praised for trading away players a year early to get premium compensation.

What we did to Corey Williams in 2008 by tagging and trading. I would call that dirty. How we fired MM. I would call that dirty. But that's about it.

I am getting salty because people are making up narratives that have no support behind it and it is getting really old.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 May 2021 08:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
I really feel that Love would benefit greatly from another year and the team should do whatever it takes to get him that year.

Also, trading Rodgers after the draft doesn’t make a ton of sense, so it looks like they won’t this year. The ball is in Rodgers’ court. His leverage is very slim
I think it makes more sense trading him after the draft. We can’t financially handle it until after June 1st.
It doesn't make sense to trade him now because we won't know what kind of capital we will get. Likely a team we trade Rodgers to is making the playoffs. Rodgers has only missed the show once as most high end QB's rarely miss the show.

I think you would like to get at least one top 10 pick for a Rodgers trade. The only thing is if we trade him to a team and acquire a recently high end drafted player in return.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Financially yes. But you get no immediate returns. Especially given the right cap this year means it’s difficult to trade him for players. So you lose Rodgers for 2021 but don’t get the best benefits until 22, and those benefits are rookies who won’t be studs until 2023? It’s far from ideal.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Best case is Rodgers is the Qb next year and then they divorce. He comes back without a stink, and we try to put him in a situation he is okay with.

If he insists on nuking every thing this season, his image and legacy in GB will be adversely affected. Bigly.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:04
lupedafiasco wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

It doesn't make sense to trade him now because we won't know what kind of capital we will get. Likely a team we trade Rodgers to is making the playoffs. Rodgers has only missed the show once as most high end QB's rarely miss the show.

I think you would like to get at least one top 10 pick for a Rodgers trade. The only thing is if we trade him to a team and acquire a recently high end drafted player in return.
Yeah I hear you. I just think it was financially impossible to take on a dead cap with negative savings when we’ve already did so much to get under the cap as it is. After June 1st it can at least be a possibility.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Yeah, it becomes possible from cap standpoint after June 1st. I think the timing of the leak was meant for max media effect, not because a draft day trade was gonna happen.

Leverage-wise it's an interesting standoff. From AR's perspective, he's getting older every day. Holding out for any significant period of time would be super costly. But he can make life hell for the Packers if he wants to go full woman scorned. The team could get the most for him after June 1st, since he's the reigning MVP and the new team would inherit 3 years of rather affordable deal. The new team could even restructure/extend to make for a VERY low 2021 to 2022 cap numbers for some SB runs. But GB won't get max value if they signal they're being forced to trade him. They have to signal they're willing to keep him even in event of a holdout. Could get reeeeaaal ugly.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:

his leverage might be slim, but so is ours, the worst thing that could happen is we are forced to play Love, he falters, any confidence he does have goes out the window and we are drafting another QB next year.

hopefully both sides come to there senses, work this out and put all this anguish on the back burner and work out a long term solution in the coming off season.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 May 2021 09:07
go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:04
lupedafiasco wrote:

Yeah I hear you. I just think it was financially impossible to take on a dead cap with negative savings when we’ve already did so much to get under the cap as it is. After June 1st it can at least be a possibility.
Yup agreed. I just don't think it makes sense to bow to his wishes after June 1 because you basically let Rodgers win in a fight he has no business being in.

There are few times I am this stubborn on a negotiation but in this situation, you need to call the bluff. If Rodgers is intent on making both Rodgers life and the Packers life a loser....you make him do it. You force him to sit out.

If we get an absolute ridiculous offer next spring...you consider trading him.

But even then what I don't get from Rodgers's view point is we control him for 3 years period. Whether that is in GB or whether that is in a town GB choses him to play in. It's why this stink he is putting up is stupid. And the Packers need to show him he's stupid if he's intent on this stance.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 May 2021 09:12
YoHoChecko wrote:

his leverage might be slim, but so is ours, the worst thing that could happen is we are forced to play Love, he falters, any confidence he does have goes out the window and we are drafting another QB next year.

hopefully both sides come to there senses, work this out and put all this anguish on the back burner and work out a long term solution in the coming off season.
There is no question this whole situation is primarily a lose-lose situation.

I too hope they come together.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

There’s worse that can happen. If Rodgers leaves and Love sucks players can turn on the organization like in Houston. That’s what happens when you can’t trust the person in charge of personnel. Adams probably leaves in FA unless we tag him which probably makes that relationship worse. Would Alexander stay after the 5th year option? Who knows.

Our future is very dependent on Love.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 May 2021 09:17
Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

There’s worse that can happen. If Rodgers leaves and Love sucks players can turn on the organization like in Houston. That’s what happens when you can’t trust the person in charge of personnel. Adams probably leaves in FA unless we tag him which probably makes that relationship worse. Would Alexander stay after the 5th year option? Who knows.

It is. The fortunate thing for Love is he should be walking in a situation where our defense should be respectable and our offense has many different ways to get production.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope this team could be a 10-7 football team as long as Love isn't terrible.

And there is also risk for Rodgers. Would if Love is great? Would if the Packers ship just keeps rolling and we are a top end NFC team? Rodgers trade value likely declines for the Packers at that point but the Packers still get good compensation and are set for the next decade with great optimism for 22 - 24. Similar to what Rodgers got from 2009 - 2014.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:02
Yoop wrote:

people think players don't want to come to GB because of the cold weather, no, they don't want to come to GB because of the way the FO has treated players
Probably the worst sentence I have ever read on this forum. It's right up there.

GB has historically been one of the best "treat your own players well" franchise in the league. We draft our players. We resign our players. We pay good money for our players. We have historically given fair contracts to our players and our players say that all the time.

The Packers rarely do bush league sh*t to its players. Now New England on the other hand does this all the time. NE is praised for trading away players a year early to get premium compensation.

What we did to Corey Williams in 2008 by tagging and trading. I would call that dirty. How we fired MM. I would call that dirty. But that's about it.

I am getting salty because people are making up narratives that have no support behind it and it is getting really old.
come on Ted low balled players often, as a result they left for more money, we thought it was great business decisions, but they didn't, plus look how often players said they didn't want to play for GB, yet are playing in just as cold a climate, your letting the rose color'd glass distort your point of view

lis, this goes back years, remember cullin Jenkins, he went to the Eagles rather then accept the pitiful offer Ted put on the table, and our DL nose dived as a result, or that safety from Buffalo that turned his nose up for the same reason, there.

no different then the same narratives against Rodgers your spilling.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 May 2021 09:22
go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:02
Yoop wrote:

come on Ted low balled players often, as a result they left for more money, we thought it was great business decisions, but they didn't, plus look how often players said they didn't want to play for GB, yet are playing in just as cold a climate, your letting the rose color'd glass distort your point of view

lis, this goes back years, remember cullin Jenkins, he went to the Eagles rather then accept the pitiful offer Ted put on the table, and our DL nose dived as a result, or that safety from Buffalo that turned his nose up for the same reason, there.

no different then the same narratives against Rodgers your spilling.
I don't get the "Packers are cheap" narrative. If we are so cheap, then why are the Packers like always in the top 5 for highest cap used each season? The Packers spend money. It's just that we consistently spend money. Our only difference is we usually never deferred or selected a 2 year window to "go all in" and then suck for 5 years like other teams try to do until we did it from 2019 to now.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:20
lupedafiasco wrote:
01 May 2021 09:17
Yoop wrote:

It is. The fortunate thing for Love is he should be walking in a situation where our defense should be respectable and our offense has many different ways to get production.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope this team could be a 10-7 football team as long as Love isn't terrible.

And there is also risk for Rodgers. Would if Love is great? Would if the Packers ship just keeps rolling and we are a top end NFC team? Rodgers trade value likely declines for the Packers at that point but the Packers still get good compensation and are set for the next decade with great optimism for 22 - 24. Similar to what Rodgers got from 2009 - 2014.
Tough to say. I think if we perform well Rodgers value doesn’t change much.

I can’t imagine a QB performing poorly in this scheme. It’s made to make QB succeed. My worry is always being one of those bum teams that has a QB good enough to put up number but not be good enough to win games. Like the Daks and Andy Daltons etc if that makes sense. Like getting stuck paying them.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:15
Yoop wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

of course you do, any sensable Packer fan should hope the same, nothing good comes from rushing Love into duty, absolutely nothing, his draft profile hit the reality of this squarely, he needed some grooming and NFL playing time before he is ready to start, as is the case with almost all college QB's, so far he's gotten zero playing time and very limited off season formal training.

Lupe is spot of, Starting Love could lead to Gutys firing, and possibly Murphy as well, his team management since Prior to Teds demotion is front and center now.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The org may just be a ready for a guy that will run the ball and not check out of it when a run is called. They could feel alright about things either way.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
01 May 2021 09:29
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

of course you do, any sensable Packer fan should hope the same, nothing good comes from rushing Love into duty, absolutely nothing, his draft profile hit the reality of this squarely, he needed some grooming and NFL playing time before he is ready to start, as is the case with almost all college QB's, so far he's gotten zero playing time and very limited off season formal training.

Lupe is spot of, Starting Love could lead to Gutys firing, and possibly Murphy as well, his team management since Prior to Teds demotion is front and center now.
I think the bigger thing is I just wanted another shot at a ring with Rodgers even more so than putting Love out there too early. You just hate to see opportunities pass when they are there for the taking.

So going from losing a game we should have won in January to having the realization this might be prematurely fully over is a lot for Packers fans to digest and understandably we are pissed.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 09:38
Yoop wrote:
01 May 2021 09:29
go pak go wrote:

I think the bigger thing is I just wanted another shot at a ring with Rodgers even more so than putting Love out there too early. You just hate to see opportunities pass when they are there for the taking.

So going from losing a game we should have won in January to having the realization this might be prematurely fully over is a lot for Packers fans to digest and understandably we are pissed.
OK, but I'am trying to look at this from both perspectives, and I put more blame on the FO then I do Rodgers, someone is suppose to be the adult here, and thats Guty, he is so concerned with compensation for Rodgers and his future QB he pissed all over the most important player this team has had in over a decade and our best chance for a title, simply guaranteeing AR would be allowed to finish his contract back in FEB or even march and non of us would be having this discussion, so simple.