Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin - Round 6 - Pick 214

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
01 May 2021 20:45
With all the attention at OL, it seems like they plan to have Love handing the ball to Jones and Dillon a lot next year. Not a bad plan.
:rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
02 May 2021 07:33
go pak go wrote:
02 May 2021 07:30
TheSkeptic wrote:
02 May 2021 03:55

Bingo. Consistently looking at 2nd down and 4 is going to make Love look very good for the next 3 seasons.
Man Sceptic. Couldn't help but think of you all weekend. You wanted Oline.

Gute got you Oline
Not quite to the, if we don’t draft a tackle in the first round, everyone in the front office deserves to be fired, level, but 6 picks in two years with Bak and Elgton likely to be here for quite some time, should be pretty set down the road.
My guess is we will need to legit look at a tackle early next year so he can step in 2023. I think we should feel confident we have 4 - 5 quality IOL guys which is great for depth there.

But I don't think much has changed as far as quality at the tackle spot.

Right now we are just hoping a tweener like Runyan or Newman can be an adequate Tackle if necessary. And I wouldn't say that hope is unwarranted
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 May 2021 20:55
Drj820 wrote:
With all the attention at OL, it seems like they plan to have Love handing the ball to Jones and Dillon a lot next year. Not a bad plan.
Absolutely. I mentioned to my buddy I was watching with that a ready-made, run-blocking center moved up the list with this news because we were going to have to be good at ruining the ball when teams expect us to run just as well as when they expect us to pass.

It helps the team regardless. But it’s more necessary if Love is the guy.

We have a VERY talented offense and scheme. It can be pretty good with an adequate starting QB. I’m still very apprehensive about Love being ready of forced in after two COVID offseasons. But we’re not a 5-win team with an average starter
absolutely NO ONE was saying this when AR was slinging the ball all over the field and this offense could score in one series, NO ONE.

basically the ground game is boring to most fans, I mean I loved the LOmbardi run to day light era as much as anyone, in fact I was chastised here in this forum when I said we needed to run more, and have a more equal balance to pass.

times change though, and if Rodgers leaves thats probably what we'll evolve into, but I for one will miss what Rodgers brought to this team.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
02 May 2021 09:30
YoHoChecko wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Absolutely. I mentioned to my buddy I was watching with that a ready-made, run-blocking center moved up the list with this news because we were going to have to be good at ruining the ball when teams expect us to run just as well as when they expect us to pass.

We have a VERY talented offense and scheme. It can be pretty good with an adequate starting QB. I’m still very apprehensive about Love being ready of forced in after two COVID offseasons. But we’re not a 5-win team with an average starter
absolutely NO ONE was saying this when AR was slinging the ball all over the field and this offense could score in one series, NO ONE.

basically the ground game is boring to most fans, I mean I loved the LOmbardi run to day light era as much as anyone, in fact I was chastised here in this forum when I said we needed to run more, and have a more equal balance to pass.

times change though, and if Rodgers leaves thats probably what we'll evolve into, but I for one will miss what Rodgers brought to this team.
This is incorrect. Many including me got ridiculed for worrying the sling it deep finess game was regular season ready, but seems to work less against the elite defenses of the post season. Many are skeptical every regular season bc we see the same movie come playoff time every year.

You know what’s not boring to Fans? Winning games.

Packers commit to the run once they catch up in the NFCCG with Dillon and they probably win a SB this year.

The fling it deep finess game seems to stop working everytime 12 goes up against a pass rush.

I look forward to using our new OL draft picks, our elite RB room, and Mr Love to win big games.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

go pak go wrote:
02 May 2021 08:00
BF004 wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Gute got you Oline
Not quite to the, if we don’t draft a tackle in the first round, everyone in the front office deserves to be fired, level, but 6 picks in two years with Bak and Elgton likely to be here for quite some time, should be pretty set down the road.
My guess is we will need to legit look at a tackle early next year so he can step in 2023. I think we should feel confident we have 4 - 5 quality IOL guys which is great for depth there.

Right now we are just hoping a tweener like Runyan or Newman can be an adequate Tackle if necessary. And I wouldn't say that hope is unwarranted
Wouldn’t be surprised if if they just move Jenkins to tackle.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just to be clear. I’m not worried about finesse. I’m just saying if you don’t have an elite QB at the helm, defenses are going to pay attention to the run and make the unproven QB beat you with his arm.

Our run game is successful in tandem with our pass game. Rodgers scares defenses, which opens up the run game for more success, which opens up play action for more success.

If Love is at the helm, the run game has to work even when the defense is focusing on it. Jones and AJ Dillon are good enough backs for that, and Bakh, Turner, and Jenkins are good enough run blockers for that. But going with a Creed Humphrey at C or even my picks of Drew Dalman, Drake Jackson, and Jimmy Morissey—all smallish athletic C-only prospects—doesn’t allow for that as much, at least not right away.

We drafted a guy who was a plus run blocker and over-sized for the pivot. And that suits the team well for a run heavy scheme, but especially if we’re trying to run the ball without the way defenses account for a player such as A-Rod. Losing Rodgers would vastly increase the degree of difficulty on our run game, which would in turn increase the degree of difficulty for a young developing QB. So prioritizing a physical, run blocking C got more important to me when the news and uncertainty dropped.

Absolutely, we’d be better off with Rodgers this year. I’m actually crediting what he brings to the offense by saying his absence would change so much that we need to shift or at least be mindful of personnel decisions around him to make up for potentially losing him. I’m crediting him for helping Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon find their success on the margins
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 02 May 2021 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lake shark wrote:
02 May 2021 10:25
go pak go wrote:
02 May 2021 08:00
BF004 wrote:

Wouldn’t be surprised if if they just move Jenkins to tackle.
Yeah I bet he starts camp as tackle. Don't know the side yet. Could see either one
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
02 May 2021 09:39
Yoop wrote:
02 May 2021 09:30
YoHoChecko wrote:

This is incorrect. Many including me got ridiculed for worrying the sling it deep finess game was regular season ready, but seems to work less against the elite defenses of the post season. Many are skeptical every regular season bc we see the same movie come playoff time every year.

You know what’s not boring to Fans? Winning games.

Packers commit to the run once they catch up in the NFCCG with Dillon and they probably win a SB this year.

The fling it deep finess game seems to stop working everytime 12 goes up against a pass rush.

I look forward to using our new OL draft picks, our elite RB room, and Mr Love to win big games.
literly NO team could stop our passing attack playing single high safety, we marched over every team in 2011 with almost zero running attack and a defense that struggled after Nick Collins was hurt, we lost two games because those team gave up everything under neath and concentrated on stopping the big plays we where so great at, as the years progressed we lost the talented receivers that allowed that air attack to be successful, and the coach either couldn't or wouldn't adjust his schemes to fit the receivers better that we did have, last year you saw what those scheme adjustments could produce, Rodgers was never the problem, and he had to force management to make those adjustments by finally firing the coach that wouldn't. like I said Rodgers was our hero, whats Guty do, he hires his replacement, now you and others here are upset with Rodgers, minus Rodgers and McCarthy would probably still be the coach.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 May 2021 10:29
I’m just saying if you don’t have an elite QB at the helm, defenses are going to pay attention to the run and make the unproven QB beat you with his arm.
Our run game is successful in tandem with our pass game. Rodgers scares defenses, which opens up the run game for more success, which opens up play action for more success. If Love is at the helm, the run game has to work even when the defense is focusing on it.

Losing Rodgers would vastly increase the degree of difficulty on our run game, which would in turn increase the degree of difficulty for a young developing QB.
When the Packers drafted Dillon, one of the comments I read was that Dillon helped the passing game by either forcing a heavier package (LB) or at the very least forcing a Safety into the box. That gave AR his preferred single- high Safety alignment. Run game opens passing. Obviously, AR's talent in reading/reacting is next level - however if defenses want to put a Safety in the box with Love under center, that might actually make it easier on him in the passing game. And as you noted - Gute is building an OL that won't be forced to take what the defense gives them, rather one that takes what it wants. It means you don't need next level LOS Conductor skills - because you can run the play that was called and be a bit more confident in its success.
Last edited by BSA on 02 May 2021 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
IT. IS. TIME

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I like the idea of the Packers going to full SF mode and being a completely run first team and winning games by doing it.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

From The Athletic/McGinn

Cole Van Lanen, G, Wisconsin

Height: 6-foot-4. Weight: 305. Age: 23. From: Green Bay, Wis. (Bay Port High School)
Ran the 40 in 5.10 seconds. Vertical jump of 30, broad jump of 8-11 and 22 reps on the bench. Arms were 33⅜ inches, hands were 9¾. Short shuttle of 4.64, 3-cone of 7.34.

First player from Green Bay drafted by the Packers since quarterback Bud Keyes of Wisconsin went in the 10th round in 1988. He played at Green Bay West High School. He was released in August 1988 without appearing in an exhibition game.

Four-star recruit. State champion in the shot put and discus in 2015. Redshirted in 2016, started one of 27 games at left tackle from 2017 and ’18 and 18 games at left tackle in 2019 and ’20.

Has a long injury history. Underwent hand surgery in September 2013, hip surgery (torn labrum) in January 2019, thumb surgery in October 2019 and shoulder surgery (AC joint) in January 2020.

What NFL personnel men told me about Van Lanen before the draft

AFC scout: “Priority free agent. He lacks strength. He struggled against speed, too, both run and pass. The length would get exposed inside. He played physical. He looked to finish. I didn’t think that would translate much. Never really lived up to (the hype).”

NFC scout: “His name was all over the place two years as a first- or second-round pick, but it’s not going to happen). Got beat inside. Whether his injuries were an excuse or a reason, I don’t know. Injuries might have caused some of that (getting beat inside), but regardless, it happened way too often. The tape isn’t what you’re looking for.”

AFC scout: “Fourth or fifth round. He is a tough guy. His problem is lateral quickness. When he can set the edge, he’s fine. He’s a good technician. When people work moves on him and go inside, he just had no quickness to slide. That’s why I think he has to be a right tackle. But I think he can play for somebody because he’s smart and he’s tough.”

NFC scout: “Lacks ideal agility and feet to mirror in pass protection. Marginal strength and power. He held up against lower competition and was exposed against top competition.”
IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
02 May 2021 03:55
Drj820 wrote:
Bingo. Consistently looking at 2nd down and 4 is going to make Love look very good for the next 3 seasons.

Gute got you Oline
Yeah, he sure did. I never expected AR to do what he did though so maybe Gute thinks the best thing he can do for Love is to give him the best possible Oline. These guys are mostly over 6'4" this is a huge Oline.

I also would not be surprised of they move Jenkins to RT now. With a full offseason to get ready, Jenkins would make an awesome upgrade to RT.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 May 2021 12:22
I also would not be surprised of they move Jenkins to RT now.
I think the IOL-heavy draft suggests they are moving Elgton Jenkins to LT for September, while Bahk gets ready to return
They covered Jenkins' Center snaps by drafting Myers and they covered Jenkins LG snaps with Patrick/Runyan/Newman/Van Lanen
Then when Bahk returns, Jenkins slides back over to LG and turns in an All Pro year. 8-)
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

just found out my nephews boy played with Van Lanen at bay port, small world.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
02 May 2021 13:56
TheSkeptic wrote:
02 May 2021 12:22
I also would not be surprised of they move Jenkins to RT now.
I think the IOL-heavy draft suggests they are moving Elgton Jenkins to LT for September, while Bahk gets ready to return
They covered Jenkins' Center snaps by drafting Myers and they covered Jenkins LG snaps with Patrick/Runyan/Newman/Van Lanen
Then when Bahk returns, Jenkins slides back over to LG and turns in an All Pro year. 8-)
Only if you consider the OL they drafted who played OT in college as iOL, which has not been clarified and seems pretty unlikely that they team sees them all that way.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

I see Royce with OT experience
However, which is a better bet in May:
Elgton Jenkins at LT in September or 4th round rookie Royce Newman at LT in September ?

It would be ideal if Royce won that job, but its not where I would place my bet a this point in time. (I could even see them entertaining Veldheer)
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
03 May 2021 17:53
I see Royce with OT experience
However, which is a better bet in May:
Elgton Jenkins at LT in September or 4th round rookie Royce Newman at LT in September ?

It would be ideal if Royce won that job, but its not where I would place my bet a this point in time. (I could even see them entertaining Veldheer)
EDIT: I mis-read your original post. You just meant if Bakh misses time. I agree Jenkins might be the best option at LT if Bakh misses time, which I'm still not convinced he will.