Eric Stokes - CB - Georgia - Round 1 - Pick 29

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:56
Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Apr 2021 09:41
He doesn't take the ball away like the other guys do? What other guys?!
Let me expand on this.

Surtain - 4 INTs total, 2 in 2019
Horn - 2 INTs total, 2 in 2020
Farley - 6 INTs total, 4 in 2019
Newsome - 1 INT total, 1 in 2020
Samuel - 3 INTs total, 2 in 2020
Stokes - 4 INTs total, 4 in 2020

How in the $%@# can anyone say he doesn't take the ball away like the other guys do?

So one might say he just doesn't make plays on the ball.
Career PBUs:
Surtain - 24
Horn - 23
Farley - 19
Newsome - 20
Samuel - 29
Stokes - 22
The fact that there were THREE ball skills comments was very confusing to me. I'm wondering if these scouts watched a lot of 2019 tape on him, because that was the knock on him prior to this year? Maybe checking older notes while chatting with McGinn? Maybe he has some/several dropped INTs, which is what they're talking about? I scratched my head for sure because that was the one thing everyone seemed to say he had until I read those snippets.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

British wrote:
30 Apr 2021 03:32
Last time we had a speedster at CB like Sam Shields we won a Superbowl.

Last year's NFCCG was lost, in part, because of poor play at boundary CB.

Feels like the Packers got better today.
Shields made a few plays in 2010, playing as a #3 slot guy in his rookie year, that only Shields could make. His speed was such an asset. Glad to be getting another true burner like that. The guy that stops those 50 yard breakaways before they get in the end zone.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Waldo wrote:
30 Apr 2021 12:28
British wrote:
30 Apr 2021 03:32
Last time we had a speedster at CB like Sam Shields we won a Superbowl.

Last year's NFCCG was lost, in part, because of poor play at boundary CB.

Feels like the Packers got better today.
Shields made a few plays in 2010, playing as a #3 slot guy in his rookie year, that only Shields could make. His speed was such an asset. Glad to be getting another true burner like that. The guy that stops those 50 yard breakaways before they get in the end zone.
#3 CB, yes, but Woody more often than not was in the slot. TW as well. Think Sam almost always outside.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
29 Apr 2021 23:14
I mean we are expected to be a zone heavy team with Barry and Stokes is a perfect zone CB.

I think there is a lot of reason to be very excited about this pick.
I agree

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I watched a highlight video where the narrator broke down his tape. He pointed out that he struggles with his footwork in space but is really solid in man coverage.

Doesn't Barry run a zone coverage scheme? if that's the case isn't Stokes a poor fit for his scheme?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Chilli wrote:
03 May 2021 09:51
I watched a highlight video where the narrator broke down his tape. He pointed out that he struggles with his footwork in space but is really solid in man coverage.

Doesn't Barry run a zone coverage scheme? if that's the case isn't Stokes a poor fit for his scheme?
I don’t know that he can’t play zone, but he was def man up most of the time at UGA from what I recall.

If he is a lockdown corner, and we also have Jaire...that screams needing to man up on the outside and maybe some cover 2 up top. The new coach needs to fit his players strengths, not have the players fit his.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Chilli wrote:

I think the idea is to have Jerry Gray improve his footwork and let experience improve his play recognition. But yes, he did do better in man than zone in college according to most accounts I have seen, and yes, it sounds like we intend to run more of a zone-heavy scheme. So like most rookies, he'll be a work in progress and how quickly he makes an impact will be determined by how quickly he can put good coaching into his game.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

That's funny because there are lots of comments about how he was a better zone corner than man.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 10:10
That's funny because there are lots of comments about how he was a better zone corner than man.
that doesn't jive though with the clunky hips report, can't have tight hips and play zone coverage, you can play press man though while holding the receivers Jersey so the WR helps turn you around, I know, I did that for years :lol:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 09:55
Chilli wrote:

I think the idea is to have Jerry Gray improve his footwork and let experience improve his play recognition. But yes, he did do better in man than zone in college according to most accounts I have seen, and yes, it sounds like we intend to run more of a zone-heavy scheme. So like most rookies, he'll be a work in progress and how quickly he makes an impact will be determined by how quickly he can put good coaching into his game.
the more I read, the less I like, he seems like a King clone, tight hips, and a grabber, KIng got rid of the grabbing, but I don't think there is a cure for the hips, more speed though obviously helps, my point Yoho is this, he will struggle against fast shifty receivers, specially so in the slot, just my opinion.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 10:31
the more I read, the less I like, he seems like a King clone, tight hips, and a grabber, KIng got rid of the grabbing, but I don't think there is a cure for the hips, more speed though obviously helps, my point Yoho is this, he will struggle against fast shifty receivers, specially so in the slot, just my opinion.
Probably true. I don't like him in the slot all that much for that reason. Lots of talk of his transitions not being smooth.

The kid we drafted in the 5th is a much better fit inside but needs to work on his tackling. I think we have enough variety of body types and playing styles to field a pretty solid secondary, though.

The King comparison is tough, considering he's 2 inches shorter and .15 seconds faster in the 40. Those are significant differences and his speed can help him make up for some missteps in ways that king couldn't. King was regular NFL fast. Stokes is faster than a lot of fast NFL players. He doesn't get beat deep very often, if ever. And that's certainly something that wasn't true of King.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

I think Gute just picks athletic defensive backs in the first and hope they can get coached up. I mean he drafted Alexander, Savage and now he's repeating what he has done before drafting Stokes all of whom were kinda unexpected draft picks by the Packers draft community. It seems to be working for Gute so far.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Chilli wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The first page of this thread talks about how is a better zone CB than man. :rotf: (my guess is that is linked a lot to his blazing speed)

So at least our 45 minutes of due diligence agrees he is good in man, bad in man, good in zone, and bad in zone.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Watching Eric Stokes does not remind me of Kevin King.

Stokes seems to almost teleport to positions on the field. He runs sub 4.3 and he also looks like he is clearly the fastest player on the field.

Those his hips aren't to the level of Asante or Alexander, he does look more fluid. I think his game is more about technical than it is about any physical trait limitations.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 10:44
Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 10:31
Probably true. I don't like him in the slot all that much for that reason. Lots of talk of his transitions not being smooth.

The kid we drafted in the 5th is a much better fit inside but needs to work on his tackling. I think we have enough variety of body types and playing styles to field a pretty solid secondary, though.

The King comparison is tough, considering he's 2 inches shorter and .15 seconds faster in the 40. Those are significant differences and his speed can help him make up for some missteps in ways that king couldn't. King was regular NFL fast. Stokes is faster than a lot of fast NFL players. He doesn't get beat deep very often, if ever. And that's certainly something that wasn't true of King.
true about the speed he is a step or two faster, mostly my point had to do with watching King his first season, and the couple clips I saw of Stokes in zone coverage a week or so before the draft, hardly ever square to the los, favors leaning in the direction he thinks the WR is going, thats a huge red flag for me, look how often we've watched King turn around the opposite of where the receiver breaks to, heck we say it against that kid Miller in the champs game on that TD, and thats after 3 years of coaching, old bad habits are tough to break,

I actually didn't have a draft list this year ( so little valid info to support making one, but if I had, I doubt I would have put Stokes on it, but I've been wrong plenty, hopefully Jerry Gray can better his technique.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 May 2021 11:08

Stokes seems to almost teleport to positions on the field. He runs sub 4.3 and he also looks like he is clearly the fastest player on the field.

Those his hips aren't to the level of Asante or Alexander, he does look more fluid. I think his game is more about technical than it is about any physical trait limitations.

is that a pro day, running down hill, with a hurricane at his back, or a actual believable 40 timed speed ? :lol:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 11:41
go pak go wrote:
03 May 2021 11:08

is that a pro day, running down hill, with a hurricane at his back, or a actual believable 40 timed speed ? :lol:
Honestly when you watch his film, he looks to clearly be the fastest guy on the field. I don't care if he is 4.25 speed. What I do care about is he clearly is the fastest guy on the field when he plays.

Even as a blitzer. Like his value is so big in that role if he can be disciplined to finish (think about doing evertyhing Chandon Sullivan doesn't do when he blitzes) that QB's will have a DB in his face before their 3rd step on a drop back.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Looks like he played more man coverage and excelled in it at UGA.

Still, some scouting reports said zone would suit him because it would allow him to read what's in front of him and make more plays on the ball.

Either way, he doesn't sound limited to one or the other.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 10:27
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 10:10
that doesn't jive though with the clunky hips report, can't have tight hips and play zone coverage, you can play press man though while holding the receivers Jersey so the WR helps turn you around, I know, I did that for years :lol:
That is quite literally the opposite of reality. If you can't flip your hips as a corner, you can't play man.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

From my experience, many draftniks failed to watch 2020 and adjust their take. That is why there is a lot of disparity. His 2020 looked a lot different than his 2019.