Royce Newman, OT, Mississippi - Round 4 - Pick 142

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah, interesting to see if this kid is our next Billy Turner or our next Lucas Patrick, which someone mentioned in the Day 3 thread. Still wouldn't mind a purer, more-athletic swing tackle type later.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Woah, check this out...
image.png
image.png (18.41 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Bahktiari, Jenkins, Myers, Newman/Runyan, Turner

In front of:
Tunyan
Rodgers
Jones
Rodgers
Adams
Lazard

With Dillon, Degura, MVS, Lewis, Sternbeger, St. Brown waiting in the wings.

This offense should have no issues being as effective as last season.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Guard or right tackle, love it. Brings some real competition.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

paco wrote:
01 May 2021 12:59
NCF wrote:
01 May 2021 12:56
Shuttle and 3-cone not what we had grown accustomed to. Perfect size, though. Guessing a lot of room to get stronger.
The way Gutey talked yesterday, I think his plan is to get that O-line a bit bigger and stronger than we are used to. Maybe a bit less athletic.
Thompson drafted elite pass protectors.

I think the new regime wants a little more bully.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Not a fan of 24 year old rookies, but OL prolly the place I’m most comfortable with it

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Sounds like Jon Eric Sullivan said his body type likely fits a guard more than tackle.

We got a lot of guards on the Packers.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Jenkins, Runyan, Newman, Patrick, Stepaniak, plus 2 guys who won't make the roster.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

We've had an all guard lineup before.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
01 May 2021 15:35
We've had an all guard lineup before.
I mean we currently have 1.5 OT's if you count Turner as a true tweener.

We basically are an all guard lineup.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 15:23
Sounds like Jon Eric Sullivan said his body type likely fits a guard more than tackle.

We got a lot of guards on the Packers.
What he said was of you just look at him, his body looks like a guard, but that he proved he could play tackle.

It wasn’t a Jenkins-style “we view him as a guard, we’ll start him there” comment

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

From The Athletic/ McGinn

Royce Newman, G, Ole Miss

Height: 6-foot-5. Weight: 310. Age: 23. From: Nashville, Ill. (Nashville High School)
Ran the 40-yard dash in 5.10 seconds. Vertical jump of 28 inches, broad jump of 8 feet, 8 inches and 23 reps on the bench press. Arms measured 32¼ inches at the Senior Bowl and 33¾ at pro day. Has small hands (9 inches). Short shuttle of 4.75, 3-cone of 7.91.

All-state basketball player. Led Nashville to the Illinois Class 2A state championship basketball game in 2014 only to lose in three overtimes. Played defensive end and tight end in high school. Three-star recruit.

Redshirted in 2016 and backed up in 2017 and ’18. Started all 12 games in 2019, logging 768 snaps at left guard and 141 at right guard. As a senior, he started all 10 games at right tackle then played in the Senior Bowl.

What NFL personnel men told me about Newman before the draft

AFC scout: “He’s a late riser. I got him in the fifth round as a backup tackle with upside. He’ll go a little higher than that. Good athlete. Former tight end.”

AFC scout: “I liked the guy. He’s a guard. That’s his best position. He’ll be 24 (in August). His workout was not good. He ran decently, but the rest of the workout wasn’t good. I didn’t think he was a tackle, though he played right tackle (at Ole Miss). Third round.”

AFC scout: “He’s a guard. Seventh round.”

NFC scout: “He flashes initial quickness and has adequate lateral agility and redirect to mirror in pass protection. Inconsistent physicality at the line of scrimmage. Flashes the ability to play with some nasty, but more of a wall-off/fit blocker. Not a leader. Good soldier type. Wish he was more aggressive.”
IT. IS. TIME

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BSA wrote:
02 May 2021 11:35
From The Athletic/ McGinn

Royce Newman, G, Ole Miss

Height: 6-foot-5. Weight: 310. Age: 23. From: Nashville, Ill. (Nashville High School)
Ran the 40-yard dash in 5.10 seconds. Vertical jump of 28 inches, broad jump of 8 feet, 8 inches and 23 reps on the bench press. Arms measured 32¼ inches at the Senior Bowl and 33¾ at pro day. Has small hands (9 inches). Short shuttle of 4.75, 3-cone of 7.91.

All-state basketball player. Led Nashville to the Illinois Class 2A state championship basketball game in 2014 only to lose in three overtimes. Played defensive end and tight end in high school. Three-star recruit.

Redshirted in 2016 and backed up in 2017 and ’18. Started all 12 games in 2019, logging 768 snaps at left guard and 141 at right guard. As a senior, he started all 10 games at right tackle then played in the Senior Bowl.

What NFL personnel men told me about Newman before the draft

AFC scout: “He’s a late riser. I got him in the fifth round as a backup tackle with upside. He’ll go a little higher than that. Good athlete. Former tight end.

AFC scout: “I liked the guy. He’s a guard. That’s his best position. He’ll be 24 (in August). His workout was not good. He ran decently, but the rest of the workout wasn’t good. I didn’t think he was a tackle, though he played right tackle (at Ole Miss). Third round.”

AFC scout: “He’s a guard. Seventh round.”

NFC scout: “He flashes initial quickness and has adequate lateral agility and redirect to mirror in pass protection. Inconsistent physicality at the line of scrimmage. Flashes the ability to play with some nasty, but more of a wall-off/fit blocker. Not a leader. Good soldier type. Wish he was more aggressive.”
Former TE but in high school. Also a basketball player so he might be a short yardage TE or blocking TE also.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

via packers.com

Newman solidified his status as a mid-round target with a solid week at the Senior Bowl amidst high-level draft prospects, an important aspect to the Packers' scouting process as well. He reinforced the versatility he displayed the last two years and proved he belonged.

"You watch how they compete," Jon-Eric Sullivan said of going to the Senior Bowl. "We thought he handed himself down there really well. He went hard every day. He held his own against some of the better players in college football."

IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I love seeing three different scouts predict 5th, 3rd, 7th... just an indication of how varied opinions can be within the expert ranks.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 09:56
I love seeing three different scouts predict 5th, 3rd, 7th... just an indication of how varied opinions can be within the expert ranks.
And why I HATE the reach narrative.

Chilli
Reactions:

Post by Chilli »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
01 May 2021 13:39
paco wrote:
01 May 2021 12:59
NCF wrote:
01 May 2021 12:56
Shuttle and 3-cone not what we had grown accustomed to. Perfect size, though. Guessing a lot of room to get stronger.
The way Gutey talked yesterday, I think his plan is to get that O-line a bit bigger and stronger than we are used to. Maybe a bit less athletic.
Thompson drafted elite pass protectors.

I think the new regime wants a little more bully.
Perhaps but Newman is far from a bully. He blocks using angles rather than plow. Much more finesse than we think, not necessarily a bad thing as long as it works.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
01 May 2021 13:20
Yeah, interesting to see if this kid is our next Billy Turner or our next Lucas Patrick, which someone mentioned in the Day 3 thread. Still wouldn't mind a purer, more-athletic swing tackle type later.
That UDFA from Iowa sounds like he might have a chance.

Read More. Post Less.