Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lulu wrote:
03 May 2021 20:11
lupedafiasco wrote:
03 May 2021 17:47
I think theres validity to what Hawk said on the McCafee Show. Rodgers has wanted in the loop for a while. Rightfully so. TT ran the team into the ground. As much as you people love him and sure hes dead, respect and all that, but he $%@# sucked at his job towards the end. He was downright terrible. Then you bring in

Gutey comes in and instantly he gets the team in cap trouble, mismanages his resources, makes some strange decisions and here we are. Hes done well but hes made a lot of poor decisions. Signing both the Smiths to crazy big deals and then drafting Gary 12th. Paying big money to Graham who sucked, waited a year too long to rectify the mistake and cut him. The Billy Turner deal was ludicrous. He basically blew his first draft outside of Alexander which was a great pick and all but youve gotta get more than 1 player from a draft. The Love pick was downright stupid. Ive said before no one can convince me that was a good pick. Even if he ends up being a pro bowl QB you already had one and its not like hes already 40 or something.

Now insert Tom Brady who basically got the treatment Rodgers wants. They did everything he wanted. They supported him with the best offensive supporting cast in the league. He wins the Super Bowl. Meanwhile youve got Rodgers who loses to Tom in the NFCC. Youve got Lazard ducking a wide open pass on an option one play and missing his pick on another. to get Adams open. Both would have been TDs. Youve got King being bad, which Ive been telling you since day one he stinks. EQ dropping a 2pt conversion. Adams dropping balls.

Rodgers cant trust this team to do enough to get over the top.

Wait, how in the hell do you blame Ted for crappy drafts towards the end and then go on to say Gutey messed up the cap? I would agree with the former statement but we didn't have an edge rusher worth a crap so Gutey HAD to go out and drop big coin on the Smith brothers. By comparison, Amos was a bargain but it was a needed signing by all the misses drafting secondary guys. What other contracts have put the Packers in cap hell?
Pick a lane.
COVID put the Packers in a cap crunch, but that's an inconvenient truth that doesn't fit the narrative.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I wonder if Alex Trebek would have threatened retirement if he found out they had offered Aaron his job to replace him down the road.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

Just chiming in here to agree with a bunch of folks and say that yeah, I think we all knew deep down that a Rodgers is a huge turd. But he was our turd. I use to tell my friends all the time that I would despise Rodgers for the way he conducted himself if he wasn't the Packers QB. I mean, the man cut off his entire family - who does that!? He's clearly got issues.

And now, he apparently feels justified in burning down the house of everyone who helped to make him who he is today - the team, the front office, his teammates, the fans - with no regard whatsoever all because "the mean old GM hurt his wittle feelingz".

Screw him. If that's how it's gonna go, I totally agree that the Packers should take the hardest line possible. I've seen people say it's in our best interest to trade him because keeping a QB who doesn't want to be there is bad for a locker room. Screw that - trading away the best player in the league is pretty dang bad too. If Rodgers goes, and especially with the way our 2022 cap is set up, this team would be quickly ushered back to the dark ages. If that's the way it's going, at least don't let him cuck you on his way out.

In my opinion, the best solution is to work out a gentleman's agreement with him that after 2021, we'll send him to wherever he wants to go. But we set this thing up for one more run, and he's going to help us do that. If he can't be a professional, then he can sit and rot - just like I was willing to do with Brett.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Chilli wrote:
03 May 2021 16:57
BSA wrote:
03 May 2021 16:51
unrelated: I just re-read the Kumerow comments and it seems Kumerow getting cut wasn't the big issue - it was Kumerow getting cut the day after AR complimented his play. That could be perceived as a slight to AR's leadership of the locker room.( It wasn't) - but if you are already questioning Gute, then that cut feels like a deliberate stab in the back. (It wasn't)
There was no other day to cut Kumerow. It was 53 roster cut down day it had to be done there and then.

I think Rodgers set up the comment the day before cut down day knowing Kumerow was likely cut and he can use it against the Packers management in future.
I read this as Rodgers has again manufactured his own butthurt story. Keep your yapper shut next time if you don't want the risk of being proven wrong.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
03 May 2021 20:21

In my opinion, the best solution is to work out a gentleman's agreement with him that after 2021, we'll send him to wherever he wants to go. But we set this thing up for one more run, and he's going to help us do that. If he can't be a professional, then he can sit and rot - just like I was willing to do with Brett.
Oh hell no. I'm not willing to let him lose in the Divisional or NFC Championship like we always do to then let him go wherever he chooses.

Oh no. He goes if we get an acceptable offer or he doesn't play. The floor asking price in the spring of 2022 is 3 1st round picks. And it better be a good 1st round pick too.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:19
I wonder if Alex Trebek would have threatened retirement if he found out they had offered Aaron his job to replace him down the road.
Maybe if he felt he could do it for a decade longer but the execs at jeopardy made it seem like they want him out after his current contract is up.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lulu wrote:
03 May 2021 20:22
Chilli wrote:
03 May 2021 16:57
BSA wrote:
03 May 2021 16:51
unrelated: I just re-read the Kumerow comments and it seems Kumerow getting cut wasn't the big issue - it was Kumerow getting cut the day after AR complimented his play. That could be perceived as a slight to AR's leadership of the locker room.( It wasn't) - but if you are already questioning Gute, then that cut feels like a deliberate stab in the back. (It wasn't)
There was no other day to cut Kumerow. It was 53 roster cut down day it had to be done there and then.

I think Rodgers set up the comment the day before cut down day knowing Kumerow was likely cut and he can use it against the Packers management in future.
I read this as Rodgers has again manufactured his own butthurt story. Keep your yapper shut next time if you don't want the risk of being proven wrong.
Apparently all roster moves have to be run through Rodgers first.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

kyle.mccarroll wrote:
03 May 2021 20:21
Just chiming in here to agree with a bunch of folks and say that yeah, I think we all knew deep down that a Rodgers is a huge turd. But he was our turd. I use to tell my friends all the time that I would despise Rodgers for the way he conducted himself if he wasn't the Packers QB. I mean, the man cut off his entire family - who does that!? He's clearly got issues.

And now, he apparently feels justified in burning down the house of everyone who helped to make him who he is today - the team, the front office, his teammates, the fans - with no regard whatsoever all because "the mean old GM hurt his wittle feelingz".

Screw him. If that's how it's gonna go, I totally agree that the Packers should take the hardest line possible. I've seen people say it's in our best interest to trade him because keeping a QB who doesn't want to be there is bad for a locker room. Screw that - trading away the best player in the league is pretty dang bad too. If Rodgers goes, and especially with the way our 2022 cap is set up, this team would be quickly ushered back to the dark ages. If that's the way it's going, at least don't let him cuck you on his way out.

and why would he agree to that? it's what he has right now, naw lets just let him sit and go with Lovey, just totally throw our chances at a SB right out the window, I remember very well that some around here felt bragging rights when we gave him that big contract to make him the most expensive player in the league.

I'am siding with past players here, give him security in writing that he's our starting QB through 2023 if he wants it, deal with his prema dona attitude, he's our meal ticket to another SB, and winning games and a SB is all that matters, people act as though Rodgers is the worst diva we've ever had, he's only this addition of them we've had them before. I'll hold the fo accountable if this all falls apart.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

some around here felt bragging rights when we gave him that big contract to make him the most expensive player in the league.
Did not happen. Please stop attributing this to people on this board.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, the "Gutey is a bad GM" attack line is just so utterly stupid.

I know the drafts have been thin, but the number of Pro Bowl players added to this roster or extended by him is unreal.

Since he has been hired as GM, the team hired a great young coach, added Jaire Alexander, ZaDarius Smith, Elgton Jenkins, Darnell Savage, Rashaan Gary, Adrian Amos. The team has extended Kenny Clark and David Bakhtiari (and Aaron Rodgers). The offensive line has graded out as one of the best in the league. The team has back to back 13-win regular seasons.

I have for a very long time made the point that fans who assess teams or players or front offices as compared to perfection will always have complaints. Because no team or person is perfect or goes without making mistakes. The meaningful comparison is comparing against peers. The Packers are the second most successful franchise, year in and year out, of the 21st century. Only the Patriots are better than them.

The CURRENT team and the CURRENT coach, is at worst the third best in the league; behind the Chiefs and the Buccaneers. I know the POINT is to be the BEST team, but heck, if y'all think Rodgers being the second best QB in the world is good enough, you can accept the team being second best, too.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 03 May 2021 21:14, edited 2 times in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:36
some around here felt bragging rights when we gave him that big contract to make him the most expensive player in the league.
I hoped he made 50% of the Packers cap. Nothing brings me more joy than seeing a player get paid so we can't pay anyone else and then complain that the Packers don't give him any help.

Makes me feel all warm and cozy inside.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
it did happen, and don't tell me what to do. people couldn't wait for him to get that contract, and now ya want to f him over because he called out our arragant GM.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Yep, I even brought the link to the original extension thread from the old forum when [mention]Yoop[/mention] brought this up a month or so ago. It’s simply not true...yet here it is again, like if it’s repeated enough it somehow becomes fact. :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 20:39

if y'all think Rodgers being the second best QB in the world is good enough, you can accept the team being second best, too.
This is where you lose people. There is a large segment that are convinced or more WANT to be convinced that Aaron Rodgers is clear and far the greatest to ever play the game and it is the Packers front office who has prevented him from reaching the Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Montana status.
Last edited by go pak go on 03 May 2021 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:17
lulu wrote:
lupedafiasco wrote:
03 May 2021 17:47
I think theres validity to what Hawk said on the McCafee Show. Rodgers has wanted in the loop for a while. Rightfully so. TT ran the team into the ground. As much as you people love him and sure hes dead, respect and all that, but he $%@# sucked at his job towards the end. He was downright terrible. Then you bring in

Gutey comes in and instantly he gets the team in cap trouble, mismanages his resources, makes some strange decisions and here we are. Hes done well but hes made a lot of poor decisions. Signing both the Smiths to crazy big deals and then drafting Gary 12th. Paying big money to Graham who sucked, waited a year too long to rectify the mistake and cut him. The Billy Turner deal was ludicrous. He basically blew his first draft outside of Alexander which was a great pick and all but youve gotta get more than 1 player from a draft. The Love pick was downright stupid. Ive said before no one can convince me that was a good pick. Even if he ends up being a pro bowl QB you already had one and its not like hes already 40 or something.

Now insert Tom Brady who basically got the treatment Rodgers wants. They did everything he wanted. They supported him with the best offensive supporting cast in the league. He wins the Super Bowl. Meanwhile youve got Rodgers who loses to Tom in the NFCC. Youve got Lazard ducking a wide open pass on an option one play and missing his pick on another. to get Adams open. Both would have been TDs. Youve got King being bad, which Ive been telling you since day one he stinks. EQ dropping a 2pt conversion. Adams dropping balls.

Rodgers cant trust this team to do enough to get over the top.

Wait, how in the hell do you blame Ted for crappy drafts towards the end and then go on to say Gutey messed up the cap? I would agree with the former statement but we didn't have an edge rusher worth a crap so Gutey HAD to go out and drop big coin on the Smith brothers. By comparison, Amos was a bargain but it was a needed signing by all the misses drafting secondary guys. What other contracts have put the Packers in cap hell?
Pick a lane.
COVID put the Packers in a cap crunch, but that's an inconvenient truth that doesn't fit the narrative.
Didn't the cap go down for all teams equally?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 20:41
Pckfn23 wrote:
it did happen, and don't tell me what to do. people couldn't wait for him to get that contract, and now ya want to f him over because he called out our arragant GM.
Nobody wants to F Aaron over. If he wants to play he can play.

It's Aaron who wants to F himself and the team over. He is the one who is choosing to not play for the Packers.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 19:39
go pak go wrote:
03 May 2021 19:31
I just don't like seeing people get joy out of watching things they supposedly love burn. And that is what he is doing. I mean think of all his coaches, teammates, fans, friends, etc. getting hurt by this decision he has made.
This is why I'm such a hardline, anti-Rodgers stance in all these arguments. This, right here. Yes, he has the right to be upset and to "look out for #1," as they say. But the WAY he is doing this, it's representative of pure petty selfishness.

But I can forgive it very easily because I've always thought him to be a bit petty and a bit selfish and definitely smarmy. So I KNOW these things about him. It doesn't change my opinion of him very much. I also generally keep my distance from ever letting anyone I don't know be any sort of "hero status" in my book because they very likely will disappoint you. We're all just human.

When you know that someone has some pretty deep character flaws and you like them anyway, it's because of the other things. When those character flaws show themselves, for me, it doesn't change the other stuff. I already knew this about Rodgers. It's just a reminder to keep him in the right category of adoration for me. He's a guy whose interviews I can enjoy and whose activism I generally am pleased by and whose play on the football field is capable of being the very best.

But he's biologically incapable of accepting fault or blame for anything (this was abundantly clear when he was putting together mediocre seasons and saying things like "my down year would be a career year for most guys"), he holds grudges, and he's petty. Some of that has helped drive him to the player he is today, so I take the good with the bad. But it's also what has driven him to this place, right now.
Who was the player Eddie DeBartolo called out on the 49ers back in the 80s. Some DB who was a bigtime A-hole. Eddie said something like, I'd rather lose every game without him than win a Superbowl with him.
That's how I feel about this D-bag.

Get Love up to speed. Take your lumps now and for the next couple of years. Surround him with the best players you can and go for it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
I genuinely don't understand why this matters. You two have gone back and forth about it so much, but like, who cares? Some people may have said "Rodgers deserves to be the highest paid player in the league" or "I'm glad we made him the highest paid player in the league" is extremely irrelevant to what's happening right now and if anything, simply serves as a reminder that just a few years ago, the team mistreated Rodgers by giving him the richest contract extension in the league with 2 years left still under contract. And yet he still feels unhappy and mistreated. Like, why does this matter to yoop? Why does it matter to 23? Why does it have anything to do with anything right now?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lulu wrote:
03 May 2021 20:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:17
lulu wrote:

Pick a lane.
Didn't the cap go down for all teams equally?
It did and that's why most teams were in cap trouble and we saw the volume of players being cut in 2020.

We were able to sign the top DT, LT, and one of the top RBs on the market this year. I would say that is a pretty good feat.

But it's nothing too new. The Packers are always somewhat aggressive in their spend. It's why I have always been confused why we are called conservative.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

BF004 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:19
Compared to Trebek, Rodgers is Jay Cutler.