Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
03 May 2021 20:46
lulu wrote:
03 May 2021 20:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:17

COVID put the Packers in a cap crunch, but that's an inconvenient truth that doesn't fit the narrative.
Didn't the cap go down for all teams equally?
It did and that's why most teams were in cap trouble and we saw the volume of players being cut in 2020.

We were able to sign the top DT, LT, and one of the top RBs on the market this year. I would say that is a pretty good feat.

But it's nothing too new. The Packers are always somewhat aggressive in their spend. It's why I have always been confused why we are called conservative.
They have and continue to spend well on they're own.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Rodgers is an all time talent. His leadership in the ultimate team sport is why he is not an all time winner.

We have all seen the guy tighten up and start blaming others when things so South. We have seen him want to get pass happy and check out of runs. We have seen him give up on plays when there is some magic to made by an all time talent.

All time talent, He is not the reason for many of the NFCCG losses. He is the reason for some.

A better leader would have 3 rings in GB during his tenure.
Last edited by Drj820 on 03 May 2021 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
03 May 2021 17:30
Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 16:59
go pak go wrote:
03 May 2021 16:31

Yes he is. So was Gary Anderson in 1998.

Fact remains Adams and Jones cost the Packers only a field goal less than Kevin King in that game. And the Bucs found a way to essentially eliminate the Adams and Jones threat twice in 2020.
so your ready to blame a fumble when the RB was knocked out of the game, and our best receiver who was blanketed and still caught 11 passes for one mistake each while King was beaten over and over, I just don't think there is a comparison. either way, Lupe's point is sound, if Rodgers goes, it's likely Adams doesn't hang around for Love.
I'm ready to blame everyone because everyone is eligible to be blamed. They are all losers. Adams. Rodgers. King. Z. (I am not including Clark or Jaire. They did their part)

It's stupid when fans feel this higher power to feel the right that blaming a GM or coach at a higher % is acceptable when other players, who have a more direct impact on a micro game level, hurt the Packers chances at getting a SB by not making a play when it was there to be made.

For instance, what do you think is easier for an organization to accomplish? Using a 2nd rounder and 1st rounder to trade up to 21 to draft a WR from LSU and hope he is the answer for an alternative target in a playoff game and that is why we didn't make the SB? OR have your #1 WR be able to catch a 3 yard pass when we need it?

We do the same thing for the 2014 NFCCG too. Like it's so easy and convenient to blame Mike McCarthy. But how about we dish sh*t to Julius Peppers who was the moron who told Morgan Burnett to slide at mid-field with an open path to the End zone? For gods sake at least slide inside field goal range. Or how about we knash our teeth at Eddie Lacy or Aaron Rodgers who couldn't do jack sh*t inside the 2 yardline on multiple occasions to score a TD when your defense gets 5 turnovers?

It's just so stupid how it's okay and fashionable to blame people who have less impact on a game but feel it's unnecessary to blame fan favorites because they built up "prior equity and we like em"

The front office isn't holding Rodgers or Adams, etc. back. They are all losers because they all lost and the playmakers we relied on making us plays didn't make the Packers plays when they were there to be made.

I think you can tell I have heard enough of the Packers front office holding this team back when it is the names on the fan favorite's jerseys that are the losers and are the reason the Packers have 1 SB in the Rodgers era.
funny how the teams that usually have beaten us have better rosters, more impact players, there QB's have 3, 4 or even 5 quality receivers, there defenses have quality lbers, and we have Rodgers Adams and Jones, so ya when ya Lose Jones and Adams is held in check it's harder to win

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 20:57
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

so your ready to blame a fumble when the RB was knocked out of the game, and our best receiver who was blanketed and still caught 11 passes for one mistake each while King was beaten over and over, I just don't think there is a comparison. either way, Lupe's point is sound, if Rodgers goes, it's likely Adams doesn't hang around for Love.
I'm ready to blame everyone because everyone is eligible to be blamed. They are all losers. Adams. Rodgers. King. Z. (I am not including Clark or Jaire. They did their part)

It's stupid when fans feel this higher power to feel the right that blaming a GM or coach at a higher % is acceptable when other players, who have a more direct impact on a micro game level, hurt the Packers chances at getting a SB by not making a play when it was there to be made.

For instance, what do you think is easier for an organization to accomplish? Using a 2nd rounder and 1st rounder to trade up to 21 to draft a WR from LSU and hope he is the answer for an alternative target in a playoff game and that is why we didn't make the SB? OR have your #1 WR be able to catch a 3 yard pass when we need it?

We do the same thing for the 2014 NFCCG too. Like it's so easy and convenient to blame Mike McCarthy. But how about we dish sh*t to Julius Peppers who was the moron who told Morgan Burnett to slide at mid-field with an open path to the End zone? For gods sake at least slide inside field goal range. Or how about we knash our teeth at Eddie Lacy or Aaron Rodgers who couldn't do jack sh*t inside the 2 yardline on multiple occasions to score a TD when your defense gets 5 turnovers?

It's just so stupid how it's okay and fashionable to blame people who have less impact on a game but feel it's unnecessary to blame fan favorites because they built up "prior equity and we like em"

The front office isn't holding Rodgers or Adams, etc. back. They are all losers because they all lost and the playmakers we relied on making us plays didn't make the Packers plays when they were there to be made.

I think you can tell I have heard enough of the Packers front office holding this team back when it is the names on the fan favorite's jerseys that are the losers and are the reason the Packers have 1 SB in the Rodgers era.
funny how the teams that usually have beaten us have better rosters, more impact players, there QB's have 3, 4 or even 5 quality receivers, there defenses have quality lbers, and we have Rodgers Adams and Jones, so ya when ya Lose Jones and Adams is held in check it's harder to win
We had the talent and opportunity to win in 2020 and 2014 tho. We didn’t have the leadership at QB to put us over the finish line like the opposing teams we faced had.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lulu wrote:
03 May 2021 20:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:17
lulu wrote:
03 May 2021 20:11

Wait, how in the hell do you blame Ted for crappy drafts towards the end and then go on to say Gutey messed up the cap? I would agree with the former statement but we didn't have an edge rusher worth a crap so Gutey HAD to go out and drop big coin on the Smith brothers. By comparison, Amos was a bargain but it was a needed signing by all the misses drafting secondary guys. What other contracts have put the Packers in cap hell?
Pick a lane.
COVID put the Packers in a cap crunch, but that's an inconvenient truth that doesn't fit the narrative.
Didn't the cap go down for all teams equally?
Yes, but when you have good players and are a good team, it tends to put the team closer to the expected cap. The best players get paid.

FYI I wasn't saying it was your narrative that was inconvenient, was just replying to you. Sorry, that didn't come across right.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
That's just not true.

The 49ers receivers in the NFCCG two years ago stink. They have Deebo and that's it. Their RBs are total journeymen and yes, Mostert ran all over us, but no, he's not even a fulltime starting RB. George Kittle is an elite TE talent and that's who they have in the passing game there. They were a matchup nightmare for us.

Brady did, indeed, have 3 very high quality receiving weapons and terrible RBs and a middle of the road OLine.

Both teams' defenses were much better than ours, which I blame at least as much on coaching as on personnel. We have a lot of talented players and very few holes where there is no player worth the slot (ILB being the lone exception in my book). The teams we have played are no better-stocked than we are. We were better than the Giants in 2011, than the Seahawks in 2014. The talent is fine. The execution in the final games, by coaches, players, and yes sometimes Rodgers, has not been good enough. It's mostly bad breaks and flukey outcomes. But they've become enough of a pattern for people to look for REASONS. But most people who think we NEED to do better for some reason refuse to ever consider that on that list of REASONS Aaron Rodgers sometimes qualifies.

Personally, I don't feel the need to find REASONS. It's a fluky game and a matter of inches and we have failed to win Super Bowls in a variety of ways for a variety of causes, both strengths and weaknesses failing in large moments. I don't believe everything happens for a reason though. Some things just happen. And the inability to find gratitude for what was is a personal failing of the fans much more so than it is a failure of the front office or players on our favorite team.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 20:45
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:36
some around here felt bragging rights when we gave him that big contract to make him the most expensive player in the league.
Did not happen. Please stop attributing this to people on this board.
I genuinely don't understand why this matters. You two have gone back and forth about it so much, but like, who cares? Some people may have said "Rodgers deserves to be the highest paid player in the league" or "I'm glad we made him the highest paid player in the league" is extremely irrelevant to what's happening right now and if anything, simply serves as a reminder that just a few years ago, the team mistreated Rodgers by giving him the richest contract extension in the league with 2 years left still under contract. And yet he still feels unhappy and mistreated. Like, why does this matter to yoop? Why does it matter to 23? Why does it have anything to do with anything right now?
That Rodgers was or was not the highest paid player does not matter to me in the slightest. It's the constant calling out of a group of people for something they absolutely did not do. Why that keeps happening, I have no earthly idea. You are right, it is irrelevant to the current situation.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:58
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

We had the talent and opportunity to win in 2020 and 2014 tho. We didn’t have the leadership at QB to put us over the finish line like the opposing teams we faced had.
thats a bunch of hog wash, the problems we've had is this FO has depended to much on Rodgers to get it done, you go look at other playoff games, it's usually not the QB that makes the biggest difference, even though Rodgers in most games played well enough for us to win, it was never enough to overcome a crappy roster, on defense we could not over come any starter being out, let along complete position groups wiped out for practically the whole season, one year we didn't have a starting CB that would start on any other team, and from roughly 015 on we've had to make do with one good WR and a bunch of jags, and you want to blame Rodgers for the losses, no sale.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 21:06
Yoop wrote:
That's just not true.

The 49ers receivers in the NFCCG two years ago stink. They have Deebo and that's it. Their RBs are total journeymen and yes, Mostert ran all over us, but no, he's not even a fulltime starting RB. George Kittle is an elite TE talent and that's who they have in the passing game there. They were a matchup nightmare for us.

Brady did, indeed, have 3 very high quality receiving weapons and terrible RBs and a middle of the road OLine.

Both teams' defenses were much better than ours, which I blame at least as much on coaching as on personnel. We have a lot of talented players and very few holes where there is no player worth the slot (ILB being the lone exception in my book). The teams we have played are no better-stocked than we are. We were better than the Giants in 2011, than the Seahawks in 2014. The talent is fine. The execution in the final games, by coaches, players, and yes sometimes Rodgers, has not been good enough. It's mostly bad breaks and flukey outcomes. But they've become enough of a pattern for people to look for REASONS. But most people who think we NEED to do better for some reason refuse to ever consider that on that list of REASONS Aaron Rodgers sometimes qualifies.

Personally, I don't feel the need to find REASONS. It's a fluky game and a matter of inches and we have failed to win Super Bowls in a variety of ways for a variety of causes, both strengths and weaknesses failing in large moments. I don't believe everything happens for a reason though. Some things just happen. And the inability to find gratitude for what was is a personal failing of the fans much more so than it is a failure of the front office or players on our favorite team.
other team win big games when there QB's have very average outings, we have to have a great game from Rodgers to even compete Yoho, this is the best this roster has been since 2010 minus the receivers, and those are the players ya need to do well, Adams had 11 catches, but almost zero yak because Tampa could afford to blanket him every where because there wasn't much else for them to worry about.

now sure Rodger left a throw or two on the table, but thats normal in every game, people here expect perfection on every play, and that doesn't happen often for anyone, I'am so tired of people defending our bunch of #3 and 4 receivers, when other teams have 2 or 3 #1 caliber receivers for there QB to work with, and Rodgers gets blamed for not seeing one of our jags when they finally do get open
people talking about Rodgers like he's Garapollo, when he's been the best QB we've has since Bart Starr.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Yoop wrote:
03 May 2021 21:17
Drj820 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:58
Yoop wrote:
thats a bunch of hog wash, the problems we've had is this FO has depended to much on Rodgers to get it done, you go look at other playoff games, it's usually not the QB that makes the biggest difference, even though Rodgers in most games played well enough for us to win, it was never enough to overcome a crappy roster, on defense we could not over come any starter being out, let along complete position groups wiped out for practically the whole season, one year we didn't have a starting CB that would start on any other team, and from roughly 015 on we've had to make do with one good WR and a bunch of jags, and you want to blame Rodgers for the losses, no sale.
I wasn’t looking at other playoff games tho. I was looking at those years specifically and saying a better leader gets the team across the finish line. And Rodgers should be looked at to get them over the hump when it is close, hes 20% of the cap!

Not in years like ‘19 at SF. But the two types of years I specifically mentioned. One time SB champs might not get it done in those spots. All the guys with multiple rings do.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I agree with all of this if we are isolating it to the 2015 and 2016 season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 21:06
Yoop wrote:
That's just not true.

Agree with much of what you said. Though I think Tampa Bay's O-line was way better than middle of the road.

As for losing games when it matters. Until the Packers start to realize they don't match up with teams with speedy and aggressive LBs they will continue to lose to them.

Those LBs fill the hole before the RB even gets there. They take the middle of the field out of play for the offense.

Maybe someday they'll wake up to the fact it's a plus to have some players who can just out run others on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I was going to ask yoop to expand on all these teams that have beaten us who have 3 #1 WRs but am deciding against it.

And as a caveat. I will forever concede the greatness of Rodgers elevating the 2016 Packers and our roster being inferior to other top rosters in the NFC. We definitely over achieved that season.
Last edited by go pak go on 03 May 2021 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Drj820 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:53

All time talent, He is not the reason for many of the NFCCG losses. He is the reason for some.

Disagree strongly. In all NFCCGs after 2011 our opponent had the better team.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

German_Panzer wrote: Disagree strongly. In all NFCCGs after 2011 our opponent had the better team.
Not 2014 or 2020 seasons.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I disagree with yoop that we need another #1. Ive said constantly this team doesnt need another dominant receiver. You already have Adams. But you need someone else decent enough. MVS is ok but the drops are maddening. He has no consistency to his game. He balled out against the Bucs but too often he lets the team down at the pro level. Lazard is ok but this guy shouldnt be starting either. Theres a lack of consistency on his end to get open. I respect him because hes doing everything he can to make up for his deficiencies but at some point youve got to do better than Lazard. Maybe that was the plan with Funchess. Im not a fan but I guess I can respect the idea.

Like I said I dont think you needed to go WR with the 1st overall pick or trade up for one. But you had to get one at some point with your top 4 picks. You could have moved down. You could have stayed there and taken Pittman or Higgins I guess. There were options. Instead they moved up and took a QB. On top they didnt take any WRs. They didnt take any the year prior.

Ive heard the argument "rookie WRs struggle year one." Well you know when they seem to make a jump? Year two. Would be helping us a lot going into this year. Idk. I think the position has been mismanaged and weve watched this team mismanage positions before. Going into a year with nothing at RB over and over and then no TE over and over, and poor ILB play for damn near a decade, or poor CBs over and over, or poor S play. This team is too slow to correct their flaws.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

I wish Aaron would just go on Greta and explain everything. Whoops, Greta is no longer on the air.

Maybe Aaron could demand she be rehired.
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

German_Panzer wrote:
03 May 2021 21:51
Drj820 wrote:
03 May 2021 20:53

Disagree strongly. In all NFCCGs after 2011 our opponent had the better team.
Not about the roster. We had the chance to win those games and a better leader at QB gets us across the finish line.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

wallyuwl wrote:
03 May 2021 21:57
German_Panzer wrote: Disagree strongly. In all NFCCGs after 2011 our opponent had the better team.
Not 2014 or 2020 seasons.
LOB? And the Bucs were the more talented team pound for pound. IMO AR won the games we gad the better/even team in 2011 vs. CHI.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok.

I still think the best case scenario is that Rodgers returns and we try to run it back.

But I’m ready to release my hard line stance that we can’t trade him this year.

I want to send him to the Raiders.

I want Mariota, who played for MLF in TEN
I want this year’s first, Leatherwood, to lock down the RT position
I want this year’s second, Trevon Moehrig, to upgrade the star position
I want last year’s first, Henry Ruggs, to enhance our speed on offense and eventually take MVS’ job
And I want next year’s first.

I’ll throw in Josh Jackson who belongs in a Gus Bradley type system and Mayock called the most intriguing corner in the draft and kept comparing him to Marcus Peters.

They can have Lazard, too, of Rodgers wants him.

Obviously our best shot at glory is with Rodgers. But this haul would put us in the playoff hunt right away, keep the roster cheap with rookie contracts, and make a run in 22-25