Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Acrobat wrote:
04 May 2021 09:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
03 May 2021 17:00
Just to be clear, I UNDERSTAND why Rodgers is upset.

It's just that the reasons are stupid, his feelings aren't particularly valid, and his behavior right now is abhorrent.

But yeah, I understand where it's coming from. He's just wrong.
Very level headed way to look at it. It's coming from the place that he wants to win, but acting like a whiney biatch doesn't accomplish anything.
I think the bigger thing is he is coming from a place where he wants to win, but his way may not necessarily even be the right way to win or move the Packers to any level higher where they are currently.

A good example is Jimmy Graham. That was one Rodgers was super high on and it was a super failure.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
04 May 2021 09:11
Acrobat wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

It's just that the reasons are stupid, his feelings aren't particularly valid, and his behavior right now is abhorrent.

Very level headed way to look at it. It's coming from the place that he wants to win, but acting like a whiney biatch doesn't accomplish anything.
I think the bigger thing is he is coming from a place where he wants to win, but his way may not necessarily even be the right way to win or move the Packers to any level higher where they are currently.
I honestly dont think it is about winning if he wants to go to the Broncos or Raiders. I think he wants to be worshipped. Or at minimum, have people admit they are all employed because of him. He feels they have disrespected him and that he can make better decisions than them because he is smarter than them, and he wants to have input in those decisions.

I think the respect factor is more damaging than the money or lack of winning in this case.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The thing that bugs me about the Jefferson hindsight trade up talks is that we WERE trying to trade up, and didn't know how far we needed to go. But the picks at 19 and 20 were made by their original team. There's no way to surmise that they would have traded all the way down to 30 just because we gave them a fair offer. They probably liked the players they picked.

Then we're at 21 when Reagor went. Another team unlikely to go all the way back to 30 considering they were targeting WRs as well with a bunch of needy teams just behind them.

Then we're at 22 and Minnesota. Jefferson is taken.

If at this point the team really wanted Ayiuk, the last guy left in the tier, I think that picks 30 and 94 could have beaten the offer the Chargers made to the Patriots of 37 and 71. So Ayiuk was realistic.

But Jefferson or Reagor? There's no indication that the teams up there were even looking at trading down. Even if the value was objectively fair. And again, it was Minnesota who dealt the pick to the 49ers to get ahead of us, understanding full well that we needed WR help. Of COURSE Minnesota was happy to make that deal, but wouldn't have with us.

We're looking at a 5 pick stretch in which Minnesota controlled 2 of those 5 picks and at which only one slot--after Jefferson--looked to be up for sale. The fact that Gutey overpaid to move up in the 3rd for Amari Rodgers and told that delightful story about the Clay Matthews trade in which TT kept reiterating that the cost of the move was not the issue so much as he wanted the player.... if you think he wasn't willing to spend enough to move up, you're batty. The issue was a) we didn't know who was going where and b) the closest picks to the situation never got moved; they likely weren't for sale.

It's just too simplistic to look at the pick before a positional run and point out that we technically had the draft pick capital to make a move there. The fact that no moves were made there AND the fact that it takes hindsight to know that run was coming (though to be fair, WR-needy teams took WRs; they weren't surprises)... it's just always going to be more to it than simply having the ammunition.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 May 2021 09:11
Acrobat wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

A good example is Jimmy Graham. That was one Rodgers was super high on and it was a super failure.
really imo the only reason he was high on Graham, was there was no one else in that room to be high on at that time, and while Graham had declined he was still where he was suppose to be on any given play, no mistakes.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 09:23
really imo the only reason he was high on Graham, was there was no one else in that room to be high on at that time, and while Graham had declined he was still where he was suppose to be on any given play, no mistakes.
You're just very willing to think it's always the same source.

Rodgers was hyped about Graham almost as much as Graham was hyped about Graham. Don't rewrite history and say "oh he had no one else to praise." Rodgers is perfectly comfortable not gushing about players.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 May 2021 09:25
Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 09:23
You're just very willing to think it's always the same source.

Rodgers was hyped about Graham almost as much as Graham was hyped about Graham. Don't rewrite history and say "oh he had no one else to praise." Rodgers is perfectly comfortable not gushing about players.
Rodgers seemed to have immense joy for the game when he was young and the older vets on the team were stars and he was tossing to those guys. Next, his clique became the class of Jordy and Cobb. The team def hit another phase where those guys were leaving and Rodgers felt like the old man in the room with no friends. He openly mocked how the young guys spend their time on Fort Nite at one point. Jimmy Graham gave him a peer to be buddies with. That brought Rodgers joy. I really think his love for guys has more to do with that than what they do on gameday. There is no other reason to gush over Kumerow who never did ANYTHING on game day minus one catch where the defender missed the tackle and he ran down the sideline. He also hasnt done anything in Buffalo. Rodgers didnt miss the player, he lost a buddy.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 May 2021 09:21
The thing that bugs me about the Jefferson hindsight trade up talks is that we WERE trying to trade up, and didn't know how far we needed to go. But the picks at 19 and 20 were made by their original team. There's no way to surmise that they would have traded all the way down to 30 just because we gave them a fair offer. They probably liked the players they picked.

Then we're at 21 when Reagor went. Another team unlikely to go all the way back to 30 considering they were targeting WRs as well with a bunch of needy teams just behind them.

If at this point the team really wanted Ayiuk, the last guy left in the tier, I think that picks 30 and 94 could have beaten the offer the Chargers made to the Patriots of 37 and 71. So Ayiuk was realistic.

But Jefferson or Reagor? There's no indication that the teams up there were even looking at trading down. Even if the value was objectively fair. And again, it was Minnesota who dealt the pick to the 49ers to get ahead of us, understanding full well that we needed WR help. Of COURSE Minnesota was happy to make that deal, but wouldn't have with us.

We're looking at a 5 pick stretch in which Minnesota controlled 2 of those 5 picks and at which only one slot--after Jefferson--looked to be up for sale. The fact that Gutey overpaid to move up in the 3rd for Amari Rodgers and told that delightful story about the Clay Matthews trade in which TT kept reiterating that the cost of the move was not the issue so much as he wanted the player.... if you think he wasn't willing to spend enough to move up, you're batty. The issue was a) we didn't know who was going where and b) the closest picks to the situation never got moved; they likely weren't for sale.

It's just too simplistic to look at the pick before a positional run and point out that we technically had the draft pick capital to make a move there. The fact that no moves were made there AND the fact that it takes hindsight to know that run was coming (though to be fair, WR-needy teams took WRs; they weren't surprises)... it's just always going to be more to it than simply having the ammunition.
Fantastic post. Perfect post.

One I would have liked to write but wasn't as elegant or willing to put the thought and time into writing.

So instead I gave an olive branch. We maybe could have moved up to 20. We probably could have moved to 20 if we flat out gave a 2nd. At some point the value is too good to pass up. And it may have been a good decision if it was Jefferson. Anyone else though it likely wasn't. Even Ruggs, Reagor and Juedy didn't light the world on fire and they were selected before Jefferson.

So everything you said, PLUS if we still were able to to do it still relies on that we cherry picked the exact proper WR of the 4 to pick for the Packers.

I mean I keep telling myself if I just sold all my High Growth Tech stocks in Late January 2021 and bought Bitcoin when it dipped to $30k for a few hours my portfolio would be 5 times higher than it is right now. I mean how stupid am I?! Hindsight is really nice.

OR

Your high end players make the 1 or 2 extra plays they need to, and should make, and none of this matters. That is why I still largely lean on the "seriously?" when the finger gets pointed to a GM first for not making the move that makes a SB caliber team into a slightly better SB caliber team.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:

I don't buy it yoho, but OK it's possible your right, there where still slot type receivers sprinkled in the later rounds, and he took other positions rather then even trying to appease Rodgers, this year after Rodgers threatens to hold out he trades up for one.

I didn't hear his comments with the Mathews trade back into one, but it speaks to my point, Ted even said back then if Raji had been taken he may have slid back a few slots and taken Mathews then, he was that enamored with Mathews.

thing is when Guty's had targeted players he's done everything he had to do to get them, not last year though, and naturally Rodger took offense, I think Rodger is upset as much with that as he is about the Love pick, it cost peanuts to go get Love, seriously chump change, that Guty wouldn't spend more to get a player that not only Rodgers would have appreciated, but would be a perfect fit for Matt Lafluers offense had to bother Matt too, I've already spoken about how Lowly Ervin sparked his offense, obviously any of those top 5 receivers, or even later round guys would have really lit it up.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

It's unfair to completely correlate the 2009 and 2019 drafts to make your point because

1. We had significantly more draft capital in both those drafts. Like over double the draft capital. Lot easier to make good moves and higher risks when you have more capital.
2. These are players the scouts and the GM loved and were willing to make big moves for. Doesn't mean they had that same love for any of the WRs last year.

And ultimately again, Gute was correct. He thought our group of WRs and offense was better than what was left after pick 25 to not take one. And being the #1 offense in the league wouldn't contradict Brian's assessment.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 May 2021 09:37
YoHoChecko wrote:

One I would have liked to write but wasn't as elegant or willing to put the thought and time into writing.

So instead I gave an olive branch. We maybe could have moved up to 20. We probably could have moved to 20 if we flat out gave a 2nd. At some point the value is too good to pass up. And it may have been a good decision if it was Jefferson. Anyone else though it likely wasn't. Even Ruggs, Reagor and Juedy didn't light the world on fire and they were selected before Jefferson.

So everything you said, PLUS if we still were able to to do it still relies on that we cherry picked the exact proper WR of the 4 to pick for the Packers.

I mean I keep telling myself if I just sold all my High Growth Tech stocks in Late January 2021 and bought Bitcoin when it dipped to $30k for a few hours my portfolio would be 5 times higher than it is right now. I mean how stupid am I?! Hindsight is really nice.

OR

Your high end players make the 1 or 2 extra plays they need to, and should make, and none of this matters. That is why I still largely lean on the "seriously?" when the finger gets pointed to a GM first for not making the move that makes a SB caliber team into a slightly better SB caliber team.
what high end players would that be? seriously now, you can't expect Adams to be perfect all the time, same with Jones who was injured the 2nd time he coughed it, same with Rodgers, NO ONE is perfect all the time, thats our 3 best players, we had no other high end impact offensive players, why because we hadn't drafted one (other then Jones) in 6 years.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Few things. Prob covered but I dont feel like reading 10 pages back

To the post above. Ervin getting hurt really hurt us the following weeks. That type of player mattered and erv got hurt thats not a draft problem.

Not to defend the 2020 draft bc it was weird and I also was pissed with the love pick at the time but its time to move on. It was a weird year. Remember the covid crap. Maybe just maybe the packer brass was thinking hey the season could be canceled and with AR being beat up the last few years lets invest for the future. Just a thought not saying its true or false

Lastly I just cant get on the suckling of the AR teet. Idk how much of this is true but hes obviously upset. Its ok to be upset but hes acting like a child. You are taking a huge chunk of pay and yet you want complete control. Get over yourself. This sends bad vibes through the whole locker room. Sure he may have some buddies but I think many think hes being an ass. Again if this is all true.

Nobody is bigger then the team. Even AR. I love what hes done but this is complete trash hes stirred.
Last edited by Backthepack4ever on 04 May 2021 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 09:59
go pak go wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

OR

what high end players would that be? seriously now, you can't expect Adams to be perfect all the time, same with Jones who was injured the 2nd time he coughed it, same with Rodgers, NO ONE is perfect all the time, thats our 3 best players, we had no other high end impact offensive players, why because we hadn't drafted one (other then Jones) in 6 years.
But here you are spending 13 months of b*tching expecting Gute to make all the perfect necessary moves to move up to 20th in the 2020 Draft (the perfect spot right before Jefferson was taken) to select the one WR who happened to be the Rookie of the Year.

So I don't see why I can't expect one of our high end players to make one extra play in a close game but you can expect Gute to make the perfect swing for the fences draft pick and make contact on it.

And what high end players would that be? Well fortunately the Packers developed quite a strong roster where we have a lot of them. 3 blue chip playmakers on offense for sure and 3 blue chip playmakers on defense for sure. And I'm not expecting them to be perfect all the time. I just wanted them to make the one extra play they didn't make.

That's the difference between winning and losing. Usually one or two plays.
Yoop wrote:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I know some will disagree with this. But that's why we have this forum.

If I'm Guty, I can legitimately say that I drafted Love because he was a unique talent. I didn't need to draft him as Rodgers' replacement. Yeah, I'd be savvy that it's what people would say and I'd address that. But the line that Ted and Ron used to always say was that you upgrade every position and every player, from 1 to 53 whenever you can.

As GM, I could stick with that.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

If Favre couldn't get away with "playing GM", then neither will Rodgers IMO. Favre's personality was much more beloved by the fans.

Random thought of the morning.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
04 May 2021 10:08
Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 09:59
go pak go wrote:

OR

But here you are spending 13 months of b*tching expecting Gute to make all the perfect necessary moves to move up to 20th in the 2020 Draft (the perfect spot right before Jefferson was taken) to select the one WR who happened to be the Rookie of the Year.

So I don't see why I can't expect one of our high end players to make one extra play in a close game but you can expect Gute to make the perfect swing for the fences draft pick and make contact on it.

And what high end players would that be? Well fortunately the Packers developed quite a strong roster where we have a lot of them. 3 blue chip playmakers on offense for sure and 3 blue chip playmakers on defense for sure. And I'm not expecting them to be perfect all the time. I just wanted them to make the one extra play they didn't make.

The Rodgers thread may not be the place to go down this trail, but i just thought I would mention that everyone wants to talk about the great Justin Jefferson. I would have loved to have gotten the guy too.

But there is a guy that we could have grabbed that had a great college career and a great rookie year. We could have gotten him in our original draft position and kept out 4th round pick.

It is true that because Lafleur is a genius we didnt need him until the NFCCG..where we could have used him for certain..but there was a guy available that I wanted at the time..not revisionist history. He had clout.

Tee Higgins.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

But seriously yoop.

You keep telling me I can't expect players to be perfect as a response to me saying, "just make the play when it is there in the big moment" but you feel perfectly authorized to expect your GM to be perfect when he has a much smaller window of doing it.

The Packers have built a roster that is a top leaguer two years in a row. So clearly the GM is doing a pretty good job at his craft similar to what our top players are doing, yet one group gets a complete free pass from you and the other doesn't.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
04 May 2021 10:12
I know some will disagree with this. But that's why we have this forum.

If I'm Guty, I can legitimately say that I drafted Love because he was a unique talent. I didn't need to draft him as Rodgers' replacement. Yeah, I'd be savvy that it's what people would say and I'd address that. But the line that Ted and Ron used to always say was that you upgrade every position and every player, from 1 to 53 whenever you can.

As GM, I could stick with that.
"We never intended to start Jordan Love. We have not had a good backup QB in years and we wanted a backup in case of injury to QB1. If Love never saw the field then that would be great because it means QB1 was healthy. If that is how it played out our intentions would be to develop him, show him off in preseason, and trade him for a haul of loot while Rodgers remains our QB."

Absolutely genius PR move to follow that line and repeat it no matter who believes it. Great point and great PR work.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:

ya I wanted Jefferson, he was my fav of all the receivers, but any slot receiver through the first 3 or 4 rounds would have been a improvement eventually over Ervin or Austen.

you keep mentioning other positions, orther position being great doesn't always amount to winning tight games, ya need players that score points that move the chains, and ya need players that allow your QB to get rid of the ball fast, specially when your ol is banged up and can't sustain there blocks such as a slot receiver like a Jefferson, orrrr someone of even less ability.

your making this about just those top 5 WR, and I admit I did start the convo in that direction, however there where others later and Guty made a point of drafting around every one of them.

Aaron watching the draft probably muttered many cuss words as each one was passed upon, and a good grudge does light a fire, he showed that all last season, cept against tough defenses with quality talent at most positions we where over matched.

sure we can talk about this player or that not playing there best game, but thats just a excuse to blame the players we do have, it's the ones we don't that made the game more difficult to win, and a switch of our first and adding a 2nd for a Jefferson, or simply taking a slotter in the 3rd would have increased our odds of gaining the mismatch needed to score on that last drive, it would have been worth it to me, and now as we know Rodgers obviously.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 10:33
go pak go wrote:

ya I wanted Jefferson, he was my fav of all the receivers, but any slot receiver through the first 3 or 4 rounds would have been a improvement eventually over Ervin or Austen.

you keep mentioning other positions, orther position being great doesn't always amount to winning tight games, ya need players that score points that move the chains, and ya need players that allow your QB to get rid of the ball fast, specially when your ol is banged up and can't sustain there blocks such as a slot receiver like a Jefferson, orrrr someone of even less ability.

your making this about just those top 5 WR, and I admit I did start the convo in that direction, however there where others later and Guty made a point of drafting around every one of them.

Aaron watching the draft probably muttered many cuss words as each one was passed upon, and a good grudge does light a fire, he showed that all last season, cept against tough defenses with quality talent at most positions we where over matched.

sure we can talk about this player or that not playing there best game, but thats just a excuse to blame the players we do have, it's the ones we don't that made the game more difficult to win, and a switch of our first and adding a 2nd for a Jefferson, or simply taking a slotter in the 3rd would have increased our odds of gaining the mismatch needed to score on that last drive, it would have been worth it to me, and now as we know Rodgers obviously.
Well we got the slotter now so problem solved.
Yoop wrote: