Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
04 May 2021 10:54
Well we got the slotter now so problem solved.
yep, heres my scenario, Guty takes a trip to wherever Rodgers is hold up, and politely says I had a brain fart last year, it may have been the pandemic cancelled off season, sorry, but I got you a guy that you'll like this year, Rodgers he hums for a bit and says, ya I think I acted out of aggravation here, what will it take for us to patch things up and move on as though this didn't happen. :idea:

obviously thats best case scenario, and I hate to admit it but it seems now that the bridge has washed out completely, not sure if either can forgive the other, how could Guty not hold a resentment, and obviously Rodgers has a big one.

I'am just slow to grasp the reality of all this, just can't get my head around how both sides couldn't work this out as soon as Love was picked, both sides seem at fault.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 11:07
go pak go wrote:
04 May 2021 10:54
Well we got the slotter now so problem solved.
yep, heres my scenario, Guty takes a trip to wherever Rodgers is hold up, and politely says I had a brain fart last year, it may have been the pandemic cancelled off season, sorry, but I got you a guy that you'll like this year, Rodgers he hums for a bit and says, ya I think I acted out of aggravation here, what will it take for us to patch things up and move on as though this didn't happen. :idea:

obviously thats best case scenario, and I hate to admit it but it seems now that the bridge has washed out completely, not sure if either can forgive the other, how could Guty not hold a resentment, and obviously Rodgers has a big one.

I'am just slow to grasp the reality of all this, just can't get my head around how both sides couldn't work this out as soon as Love was picked, both sides seem at fault.
Yeah I think Rodgers likely played his last snap in Green Bay.

Shoulda ran it.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Very level-headed overview.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Stink says on cowherd that Rodgers DMd him asking about the report the trade to Denver was imminent bc it was news to him lol
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I was just thinking here, but man, the idea that we don't "get help for Rodgers" if we are not drafting WRs is just so nauseating.

Like, MF'er EVERY PICK HELPS RODGERS. With Love, fair enough, backup QBs do not offer any real help. But quite literally every other pick imaginable helps Rodgers.

How does tightening up our secondary with picks like Stokes and Alexander -- so we can better stop the pass and need fewer points to win -- not help Rodgers? How does strengthening the defense in general not help Rodgers for the same reason?

How does drafting a RB with Derrick Henry ability not help Rodgers? Some have even pointed out that a bigger back like Dillon and Lacy before him forces the defense to play heavier and thus opens up the passing game. It should go without saying that OL picks help Rodgers. TE, come on, that's receiving AND blocking.

I can only assume that the people who say this want something like our 2011 season where every receiver and the starting TE was star-caliber.

And my rebuttal to that is... our 2011 season. It was stupid to put that many resources into a single position group on offense and the end result proved that: 15 meaningless wins, 1-and-done in the playoffs. This is the NFL, not Madden; you need to field a balanced team to win.

That team wasn't even built to withstand the conditions of their own homefield!! So much for HFA. :thwap:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Good summary video from Andy Herman. Thanks for sharing [mention]NCF[/mention]

I disagree with Andy's opinion over the necessity to trade Rodgers should this dispute linger into training camp. He opines you gotta get rid of the distraction. I disagree.

If Rodgers digs in and this drags out, the upcoming season is gonna be lost anyway. What rush is there in trading him for what would likely amount to future picks of unknown value? Embrace the "crap sandwich" as Andy characterized it, ride out the season with Love or a vet or whatever, and then target a trade partner with known high draft pick capital. If the season is truly terrible, we'll then have our own high pick plus other high value pick(s) to really turbocharge a rebuild effort.

Rodgers will be older, yes, but he's already "older" and has shown the ability to still perform at a high level as well as a desire to continue playing into his mid-40s. I think a perspective team would be willing to accept the age risk.

No need to panic and jump at just any offer to rid yourself of Rodgers. Ride out the storm, embrace the suck, and get a quality haul to jump start the next era.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
04 May 2021 12:14
Good summary video from Andy Herman. Thanks for sharing @NCF

I disagree with Andy's opinion over the necessity to trade Rodgers should this dispute linger into training camp. He opines you gotta get rid of the distraction. I disagree.

If Rodgers digs in and this drags out, the upcoming season is gonna be lost anyway. What rush is there in trading him for what would likely amount to future picks of unknown value? Embrace the "crap sandwich" as Andy characterized it, ride out the season with Love or a vet or whatever, and then target a trade partner with known high draft pick capital. If the season is truly terrible, we'll then have our own high pick plus other high value pick(s) to really turbocharge a rebuild effort.

Rodgers will be older, yes, but he's already "older" and has shown the ability to still perform at a high level as well as a desire to continue playing into his mid-40s. I think a perspective team would be willing to accept the age risk.

No need to panic and jump at just any offer to rid yourself of Rodgers. Ride out the storm, embrace the suck, and get a quality haul to jump start the next era.
right I don't see us trading him this, as you said we don't benefit from that, Rodgers does, and if gets to the point he wont play then Guty will just wait and trade him pre draft next year and take what he can get, unlessss he can get a quality back up QB and some players as Yoho spoke of, other wise we lose and Rodgers win.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I mean if there is a good offer we should trade Rodgers this year.

Don't just not trade him to not trade him.

Like if we get to August and Denver says, Juedy/Surtain, 1st Rounders in 22 and 23, Bridgewater/Lock and a 22 2nd for Rodgers and Lazard/Josh Jackson

I'm listening.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
04 May 2021 12:03
I was just thinking here, but man, the idea that we don't "get help for Rodgers" if we are not drafting WRs is just so nauseating.

Like, MF'er EVERY PICK HELPS RODGERS. With Love, fair enough, backup QBs do not offer any real help. But quite literally every other pick imaginable helps Rodgers.

How does tightening up our secondary with picks like Stokes and Alexander -- so we can better stop the pass and need fewer points to win -- not help Rodgers? How does strengthening the defense in general not help Rodgers for the same reason?

How does drafting a RB with Derrick Henry ability not help Rodgers? Some have even pointed out that a bigger back like Dillon and Lacy before him forces the defense to play heavier and thus opens up the passing game. It should go without saying that OL picks help Rodgers. TE, come on, that's receiving AND blocking.

I can only assume that the people who say this want something like our 2011 season where every receiver and the starting TE was star-caliber.

And my rebuttal to that is... our 2011 season. It was stupid to put that many resources into a single position group on offense and the end result proved that: 15 meaningless wins, 1-and-done in the playoffs. This is the NFL, not Madden; you need to field a balanced team to win.

That team wasn't even built to withstand the conditions of their own homefield!! So much for HFA. :thwap:
Wolf said one of his biggest Mistakes was not drafting better receivers for Favre, Ted seemed bound and determined not to let that happen, smart move, fault was and soon repaired fixing the defense, just not good enough, and we lost Ryan Grant and the run game sucked in 011.

still the only way teams could beat us that year was to give up the short game and playing 2 and 3 high coverage, why no teams did that sooner is on them, we hardly had a short game for teams to worry about stopping.

LT, G, DT, edge rushers etc. help a good QB, WR,RB, win games, they don't actually win it themselves in most games, minus those impact players you still lose, if we'd have had a decent running attack in 011 we may have won those two games.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 12:38
Wolf said one of his biggest Mistakes was not drafting better receivers for Favre, Ted seemed bound and determined not to let that happen, smart move,
The big rumor at the time, IIRC was that we could've acquired Randy Moss from OAK for a 4th round pick before he ended up going to NE. I'm sure someone here will let me know whether or not that was BS but if it was true, then Favre (and anyone remotely connected to the Packers for that matter) would have a right to be pissed IMO. :lol:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Captain_Ben wrote:
04 May 2021 13:05
The big rumor at the time, IIRC was that we could've acquired Randy Moss from OAK for a 4th round pick before he ended up going to NE. I'm sure someone here will let me know whether or not that was BS but if it was true, then Favre (and anyone remotely connected to the Packers for that matter) would have a right to be pissed IMO.
No it's that we offered a 4th and wouldn't offer a 3rd. The Patriots offered a higher 4th and got him. We drafted James Jones with the 3rd round pick that would have been dealt for Randy Moss had we elevated our offer enough to get him.

Similar story but different than Tony Gonzales, where the story was the deal was all but done for a 3rd rounder and at the last minute the Cheifs balked and said theycouldn't part with him for less than a 2, and TT didn't up the ante.

Ted Thompson's issue was never that he was not aggressive, but that his sense of value--both in money and picks--was slightly below the consensus. He made what he thought to be strong offers to players, be it in draft picks or in free agency, or trying to retain players... he wasn't sitting on his hands. He just always came up a teensy bit short.

And when I say this, I am speaking from a place of SOME (not much, but SOME) direct information. He personally talked about this in front of me in 2005 with some CB that he let get away from Seattle. He never imagined he'd get the contract he got. That was TT's flaw. I love his scouting and evaluation. I love his strategy and approach. I know he genuinely tried to acquire far more players than he actually did. And I can guarantee that all the weird "ego" rumors that swirled around after the Favre fiasco were 100% bunk, as everyone who worked with and knew him completely refutes that, publicly and privately.

But his sense of player value just never adjusted. That was the area in which I'll critique him. All in all, still love the guy. Still think he was a great GM. I even like his 2016 draft when everyone said he'd already lost it. I also know that he was still GM when his cognitive functioning had started to noticeably decline; like I KNOW that from a front office person. They used to try not to give him new information after 2 pm because he didn't retain it as well. So the decision to move on from him was absolutely made too late, and I can't fault him for that at all. That's on Murphy.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I still remember the clowns on Packers planet that said they would rather have James Jones over Randy Moss.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
04 May 2021 13:35
I still remember the clowns on Packers planet that said they would rather have James Jones over Randy Moss.
I still remember being excited when J. Jones came up because I thought it was Jacoby Jones, who was, like, a guy you could use in some of the same ways. Not at all as good, but he was a tall guy with good speed and downfield production and would give us a deep threat at least. When I found out is was a dude who ran a 4.59, I about lost it.

I didn't hold it against James Jones, though. Ended up loving the guy. But I was ALL ABOARD the Moss train. Did some pretty detailed analysis about how effective he is even if we get the exact player the Raiders had, not the one the Vikings had and the Patriots got. I was on a forum called PigSkin Heaven back then and wrote like a weekly stats column for them. Went ham on Randy Moss that offseason.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
04 May 2021 12:14
Yeah, I had similar thoughts and I think I agree with you. This tied into his discussion about leverage. Advantage Packers. As we get into TC, though, I think it tilts Rodgers way. That is his point. But, I say if you can wait out another month, it tilts back the Packers way again, big time. It's very short-term leverage and we will see how that goes if push comes to shove and he has to start missing game checks. Who blinks first?

Read More. Post Less.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
04 May 2021 13:53
Who blinks first?
The Packers
- because Rodgers has an agent and can create a media &%$@-storm... while the Packers can't/won't fight back and won't sully themselves in a public battle. He can rip on GB with impunity, the Packers can't return serve.
IT. IS. TIME

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

BSA wrote:
04 May 2021 13:57
NCF wrote:
Who blinks first?
The Packers
- because Rodgers has an agent and can create a media &%$@... while the Packers can't/won't fight back and won't sully themselves in a public battle. He can rip on GB with impunity, the Packers can't return serve.
They can if they wait him out until September. They can hit him right where it hurts without saying a word.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

BSA wrote:
NCF wrote:
Who blinks first?
The Packers
- because Rodgers has an agent and can create a media &%$@... while the Packers can't/won't fight back and won't sully themselves in a public battle. He can rip on GB with impunity, the Packers can't return serve.
I agree but with one note. Rodgers isn't popular among all of his peers. I could see more and more bad press coming out about him, not even dished out by the Packers, but by former teammates, girlfriends, his family, etc. Aaron is very aware and concerned about his self image and will only be able to stomach so much bad press before he gives in too and wants to again look like the good guy.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BSA wrote:
NCF wrote:
Who blinks first?
The Packers
GB isnt NY tho in terms of a media circus. Many people in Pressers will probably be pro the org throughout the process. It will be about finding somewhat compentent QB play and how strong Lafleur can be in keeping the players focused on getting better each day and the main thing.

If the Packers start out 0-8 with no rodgers then Gutey prolly gets fired and Rodgers may walk back through that door..but other than that I mean everyone would expect the team to be worse without him as we see if he comes back at any point or we get ready to get a haul for him in 2021.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
04 May 2021 14:00
I agree but with one note. Rodgers isn't popular among all of his peers. I could see more and more bad press coming out about him, not even dished out by the Packers, but by former teammates, girlfriends, his family, etc. Aaron is very aware and concerned about his self image and will only be able to stomach so much bad press before he gives in too and wants to again look like the good guy.
Actually that's not a bad strategy. Get his brother, his parents, and Olivia Munn in front of some cameras or whispering to the right media folk.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
04 May 2021 14:13
Acrobat wrote:
04 May 2021 14:00
Actually that's not a bad strategy. Get his brother, his parents, and Olivia Munn in front of some cameras or whispering to the right media folk.
Where's Greg Jennings when you need him? #YOTTO

Read More. Post Less.