Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

TheSkeptic wrote:
05 May 2021 14:55
go pak go wrote:
05 May 2021 14:37
Drj820 wrote:
05 May 2021 13:07
Mcafee saying that “it is being reported that...” Rodgers was telling FAs not to come bc he wasn’t going to be there.

If that’s true, that could be the sources of the leaks and that is beyond egregious.
Except he let his buddy Mercedes Lewis go there.

I don't buy that.
Lewis wasn't going anywhere except GB or retirement. He can retire now if he wants. But I also don't buy it because he and Tim Boyle were supposedly close. If Boyle had any idea that this would happen he would not have signed with the Lions. In fact, I doubt that Rodgers had fully made up his mind until the day before the draft.
Yeah I like big dawg but he should be happy with the check he is about to cash to block and catch three balls a year
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
05 May 2021 16:44
Yeah I like big dawg but he should be happy with the check he is about to cash to block and catch three balls a year
And he seems to be.

He's just close with Aaron, didn't seem to see this coming, and probably wouldn't have signed a deal, let alone a 2-year deal, had he known Rodgers might not be back... so it seems to run counter to the "report" that Rodgers was just telling free agents willy-nilly that this was coming

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
05 May 2021 17:06
Like I hear that, but it's actually just not possible.

Mahomes' deal is structured in a way that only works because it's 10-12 years long. It's like 90% roster bonus that are converted each year into signing bonuses to defer the cap hits out throughout the contract. They can do that for 6 years and still have fairly limited dead money to maneuver in the last year or two of the contract. It's a fairly brilliant structure, but only possible due to length. In order to make Rodgers the highest-paid player in the league--$45M per year--the team would have to lock themselves in far beyond what they're willing to OR clear like $50 million in cap space combined over the next two seasons without pushing too much of those clearances into 2023 or later because Rodgers' new deal would still be hitting in the high 40s/50s.

I would be genuinely shocked if they could pull anything close to that off in their current circumstances.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

The good news for Rodgers is if the Packers do go ahead and make him the NFLs highest paid player to appease his displeasure, the team will only be able to afford the Jake Kumurow's of the world going forward. Rodgers can feel free to pal up to all the roster bottom dwellers without fear of further embarrassment. And with Rodgers commanding all the player wealth, those other players will be forced to shower him with all the adoration he needs to feel "respected" and "appreciated"...so long as he pays the dinner tabs.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Random thought…

If Rodgers is really trying to sabotage his current employer, I wonder how his prospective future employer (Jeopardy) feels about this.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

What if I told you that over the 6 years of Rodgers' contract from the time he got extended through 2023, he would earn only $6 million less than the first 6 years of Patrick Mahomes' deal?

And if there are no more renegotiations (there will be, but... if there were no...) Mahomes' deal would have only $4 million in dead money to cut him before the last one. So the original structure doesn't guarantee more commitment or time, either.

So it's tough to make Rodgers "the highest paid player" by any reported standards when Mahomes' total deal is reported at $45M/year for 10 years (but was actually less over 12 years)

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Acrobat wrote:
05 May 2021 18:05
Random thought…

If Rodgers is really trying to sabotage his current employer, I wonder how his prospective future employer (Jeopardy) feels about this.
Hes not going to host Jeoprody. Hes not even that good of a host.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

With what money do we plan to use to make 12 the games highest paid player?

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Acrobat wrote:
05 May 2021 18:05
Random thought…

What is Levar Burton's happiness?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
05 May 2021 07:07
APB wrote:
04 May 2021 21:19
Yoop wrote:
04 May 2021 21:10
my biggest complaint, Guty and Murphy hire a coach who's offensive scheme centers on mis direction, and then fail to get him a key player that makes that scheme work
Makes the scheme work? Exactly which part of the scheme didn’t work? What part of the top rated offense wasn’t working?

It may not have been working to your satisfaction or with the players you felt would have optimized the efficiency of the scheme, but there is no way you can sit here and say they didn’t have the pieces to make it work. That’s simply absurd.

It was the top rated offense. They had the players they needed. No, they didn’t have all-pros at every position but they damn sure had players to make the scheme work. I mean, seriously....
OK, make Lafluers schemes work better, as Lupe just said on the stat sheet Ervin didn't seem to make a big difference, however it was enough that defenses had to honor the jet motion, he had a 5yrd average running the ball, he froze the defense, and when he was hurt Lafluer lost that distraction, it affected the offense to the point Guty brought in Austen, who sucked.
now we can't be sure a JJ or Ayuik wouldn't have been hurt, but I like what they may have brought to our game, if Ervin was able to freeze a defense with only 23 touches in 8 games, either of those two would have been given a ton more touches, and defenses would have been forced even more to defend them.

we just traded up to get Ervins successor, so we'll see just how this works out, I expect he'll be a key contributor once he's ready to play.
See, none of this line of debate seems to make any sense. You readily admit that Ervin’s impact was minimal and that, after injury, his successor (Austin) “sucked.”

And yet the offense thrived nonetheless. This “distraction” requirement you insist is necessary, the thing Ayuik or Jefferson would have brought for MLFs scheme to work, didn’t seem to be necessary at all. Again, it was the top ranked offense. I really don’t get your argument.

To me, it seems your whole line of argument for trading up in the first round last year to nab an Ayuik or Jefferson is predicated on a fleeting position of impact in an offense that was already clicking at a league high rate. The offense did struggle (relatively speaking) in the NFCCG but that was more due to injury (Bakhtiari), key players not performing at championship level (multiple players to include Rodgers), and major mistakes, i.e. drops/turnovers. Drafting Ayuik or Jefferson doesn’t change your superstar players making major mistakes in big moments of the biggest game of the year.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m certain that either Ayuik or Jefferson would have elevated the offense to even better levels but you’re now talking about diminishing returns. When the offense is already firing on all cylinders, there’s only so much “better” to be had. If anything, I would much “better” understand a push from you for a defensive upgrade rather than the Love pick.

But this continued argument for a WR? When the offense was already league best? Sorry, nope.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Best player in the NFL has reason to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Makes logical sense.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Rodgers’ demands grow by the day... :mrgreen:

https://sports.theonion.com/it-s-him-o ... 1846829102

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

APB wrote:
05 May 2021 18:56
Yoop wrote:
05 May 2021 07:07
APB wrote:
04 May 2021 21:19

Makes the scheme work? Exactly which part of the scheme didn’t work? What part of the top rated offense wasn’t working?

It may not have been working to your satisfaction or with the players you felt would have optimized the efficiency of the scheme, but there is no way you can sit here and say they didn’t have the pieces to make it work. That’s simply absurd.

It was the top rated offense. They had the players they needed. No, they didn’t have all-pros at every position but they damn sure had players to make the scheme work. I mean, seriously....
OK, make Lafluers schemes work better, as Lupe just said on the stat sheet Ervin didn't seem to make a big difference, however it was enough that defenses had to honor the jet motion, he had a 5yrd average running the ball, he froze the defense, and when he was hurt Lafluer lost that distraction, it affected the offense to the point Guty brought in Austen, who sucked.
now we can't be sure a JJ or Ayuik wouldn't have been hurt, but I like what they may have brought to our game, if Ervin was able to freeze a defense with only 23 touches in 8 games, either of those two would have been given a ton more touches, and defenses would have been forced even more to defend them.

we just traded up to get Ervins successor, so we'll see just how this works out, I expect he'll be a key contributor once he's ready to play.
See, none of this line of debate seems to make any sense. You readily admit that Ervin’s impact was minimal and that, after injury, his successor (Austin) “sucked.”

And yet the offense thrived nonetheless. This “distraction” requirement you insist is necessary, the thing Ayuik or Jefferson would have brought for MLFs scheme to work, didn’t seem to be necessary at all. Again, it was the top ranked offense. I really don’t get your argument.

To me, it seems your whole line of argument for trading up in the first round last year to nab an Ayuik or Jefferson is predicated on a fleeting position of impact in an offense that was already clicking at a league high rate. The offense did struggle (relatively speaking) in the NFCCG but that was more due to injury (Bakhtiari), key players not performing at championship level (multiple players to include Rodgers), and major mistakes, i.e. drops/turnovers. Drafting Ayuik or Jefferson doesn’t change your superstar players making major mistakes in big moments of the biggest game of the year.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m certain that either Ayuik or Jefferson would have elevated the offense to even better levels but you’re now talking about diminishing returns. When the offense is already firing on all cylinders, there’s only so much “better” to be had. If anything, I would much “better” understand a push from you for a defensive upgrade rather than the Love pick.

But this continued argument for a WR? When the offense was already league best? Sorry, nope.
Our receivers failed massively against the Bucs.

It is a useless argument anyway because the only way we see the value of Rodgers supporting cast is with removing Rodgers influence on there game. We may see that soon we may not.

It is my OPINION that Aaron Rodgers is the best passer of the football and the best pocket mover in the NFL - both of these having a large impact on the performance of receivers and line.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
05 May 2021 19:19

Our receivers failed massively against the Bucs.
Davante Adams struggled really good with that one drop.

But MVS had a really, really good game. Like really good. Lazard was okay. He messed up once. Aaron missed him another in the endzone. Tonyan largely disappeared but Rodgers also missed looking his way on the Lazard interception.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

MVS showed up and balled out against the Bucs. Hes got nothing to be ashamed of the way he played that game. Adams needed to be better with the opportunities he had considering the Bucs did everything they could to take him away. Lazard had the worst game Ive seen from a WR in a long time. Maybe since Adams struggle bus years.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

bud fox wrote: Our receivers failed massively against the Bucs.
NFCCG Stats:

“Failed” Packers WRs: 28 targets / 17 receptions / 61% comp / 254 yds / 2 TD / 9.1 yds/att

“Fabled” Bucs WRs: 22 targets / 11 receptions / 50% comp / 213 yds / 2 TD / 9.7 yds/att

I mean, seriously. Did they play a flawless game? Absolutely not. Did they “fail massively” against a strong Bucs defense? Hardly. Arguing they did just makes you look foolish.

...er.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Drj820 wrote:
05 May 2021 13:07
Mcafee saying that “it is being reported that...” Rodgers was telling FAs not to come bc he wasn’t going to be there.

If that’s true, that could be the sources of the leaks and that is beyond egregious.
Might have factored into something like the JJ Watt decision where he probably called Rodgers and he gave him the truth but I doubt Rodgers was actively sabotaging.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

APB wrote:
05 May 2021 20:11
bud fox wrote: Our receivers failed massively against the Bucs.
NFCCG Stats:

“Failed” Packers WRs: 28 targets / 17 receptions / 61% comp / 254 yds / 2 TD / 9.1 yds/att

“Fabled” Bucs WRs: 22 targets / 11 receptions / 50% comp / 213 yds / 2 TD / 9.7 yds/att

I mean, seriously. Did they play a flawless game? Absolutely not. Did they “fail massively” against a strong Bucs defense? Hardly. Arguing they did just makes you look foolish.

...er.
You are literally using stats in which the biggest influence is QB play.

They were not getting open. They had bad drops.

Bucs receivers were saving Brady's wishful sky high balls with unbelievable plays.

Very foolish by you.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Lazard is a good run blocker.

But basically as a WR in the NFL whose main job is getting open and catching the ball he is a borderline scrub.

Yet, Rodgers seems to love the guy.

Rodgers needs to make some buddies across the league and bring them to his teams who aren’t bums.

For now, he seems to stick up for bums as long as they are locker room buddies with him.