Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Drj820 wrote:
05 May 2021 21:33
I also have seen a lot of people that are close to Rodgers starting to say the leak wouldn’t have come from him, yet they did not say that early.

They just explained that they understand why he was mad.

Rodgers is losing the PR battle bad so far
Nearly all media I have seen is about how Rodgers has been treated poorly and deserves better - outside of Terry Bradshaw.

Do you mean packers fans on this site? People like Tom Grossi and packer specific reporters are sheep for the organisation. I never expected this site to be favorable towards Rodgers in this scenario. There are some loud posters here who just use a brute force approach to always being in support of management.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

[mention]bud fox[/mention] Media members on Twitter and say, the Insider Inbox on packers.com seem to indicate that they are hearing from a TON of fans who are very opposed to Rodgers' current behavior.

You are correct that the MEDIA is almost entirely in the Rodgers has been mistreated" camp, but that's because they're the original authors of that narrative anyway! They're the ones pushing the 1st round pick thing. They're the ones who casually glance at the team with the most Pro Bowl players in the league and assume it's Rodgers and some dudes every year.

So yes, the national media--dominated by former players, I may add--is waaay in Rodgers' tank on this. But that's precisely WHY this was misjudged. They thought it would be like 80/20 on Rodgers side in the fan base and it's probably more like 60/40

And 40% of a fan base is a LARGE portion to be angry.

All sides of everything on the internet have "a few loud people who get the message through with brute force," so that's a silly thing to try tp pin on one side... especially when you, personally, use brute force to run the opposing message but aren't self-aware to categorize yourself the same way

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 May 2021 21:58
@bud fox Media members on Twitter and say, the Insider Inbox on packers.com seem to indicate that they are hearing from a TON of fans who are very opposed to Rodgers' current behavior.

You are correct that the MEDIA is almost entirely in the Rodgers has been mistreated" camp, but that's because they're the original authors of that narrative anyway! They're the ones pushing the 1st round pick thing. They're the ones who casually glance at the team with the most Pro Bowl players in the league and assume it's Rodgers and some dudes every year.

So yes, the national media--dominated by former players, I may add--is waaay in Rodgers' tank on this. But that's precisely WHY this was misjudged. They thought it would be like 80/20 on Rodgers side in the fan base and it's probably more like 60/40

All sides of everything on the internet have "a few loud people who get the message through with brute force," so that's a silly thing to try tp pin on one side... especially when you, personally, use brute force to run the opposing message but aren't self-aware to categorize yourself the same way
I don't see the support split being much different to Favre situation. As you mentioned it is pretty close.

I think if this was a different fan base it would be much more supportive of the QB. Packers fans I find are generally more conservative e.g. chain of command etc. It can be evidence in this thread with the old school mentality of "your the worker - do what your boss tells you".

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
05 May 2021 21:46
Drj820 wrote:
05 May 2021 21:33
I also have seen a lot of people that are close to Rodgers starting to say the leak wouldn’t have come from him, yet they did not say that early.

They just explained that they understand why he was mad.

Rodgers is losing the PR battle bad so far
Nearly all media I have seen is about how Rodgers has been treated poorly and deserves better - outside of Terry Bradshaw.

Do you mean packers fans on this site? People like Tom Grossi and packer specific reporters are sheep for the organisation. I never expected this site to be favorable towards Rodgers in this scenario. There are some loud posters here who just use a brute force approach to always being in support of management.
I drive a lot and listen to mad dog sports radio alot during the day. Almost all their shows take callers and they are talking rodgers 24/7. The only people on Rodgers side bashing the org are non packer fans. The hosts are pretty split but they are all shocked that we seem to be Turning on 12 so quickly.

Then i heard hawk and others starting to say yesterday rodgers wouldn’t have leaked it, after Ñot saying that at all at first.

I have just noticed a shift
Last edited by Drj820 on 05 May 2021 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I feel like most fans take the side of the organization in terms of who should stay and who should go and rightfully so.

I think most fans also recognize its the organizations fault we are in this place in the first place and rightfully so.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

In recent months, according to sources, the Packers have offered to make the 37-year-old Rodgers the NFL’s highest-paid quarterback. Those overtures were turned aside. The fractured relationship between quarterback and team seems to have little or nothing to do with money.
The plot thickens. From the McGinn.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 May 2021 22:58
In recent months, according to sources, the Packers have offered to make the 37-year-old Rodgers the NFL’s highest-paid quarterback. Those overtures were turned aside. The fractured relationship between quarterback and team seems to have little or nothing to do with money.
This makes sense. Seems to be an issue of principle now.

Makes this harder to fix.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

This thread should be titled, "Trouble in Titletown".

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
05 May 2021 23:51
Pckfn23 wrote:

Ive never thought it was about the money. All about TRUST.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wants to make sure when he's done it's time to give Love his second contract before he even starts a game, it's his revenge for picking his replacement when we did, which would be the 2024 season, we gave him a contract through 2023, he wants a no trade clause through it, and Guty from all reports doesn't want to give iot to him, like I said this seems to still be about trade compensation as soon as they think Love is ready to play, I've thought this from the beginning.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 00:51
wants to make sure when he's done it's time to give Love his second contract before he even starts a game, it's his revenge for picking his replacement when we did, which would be the 2024 season, we gave him a contract through 2023, he wants a no trade clause through it, and Guty from all reports doesn't want to give iot to him, like I said this seems to still be about trade compensation as soon as they think Love is ready to play, I've thought this from the beginning.
Since day one the Love pick has been about replacing Rodgers as soon as Love is ready. Anyone who sees through the &%$@ PR speech you get from the organization knows that. Including Rodgers.

And people cry yes taking up too much cap space. Well Gute needs to start using his resources better. Don’t sign a RT/RG with a below average career to above average money. Don’t sign 2 massive edge deals and then draft another one with the 12th pick and then when it comes to cut the deal for one of the edges that has underperformed you try to save face and kick his cap back. Don’t trade up for a backup QB in the first round. Don’t draft RB in the 2nd and then resign a RB to big money. Get out of that awful Dean Lowry deal. Don’t sign a TE with no other offers to a deal worth 4 mil annually. Don’t pay for a CB who literally lost you the conference game. It’s his job to work with what he has and the guy was gifted the greatest QB of all time and in 3 years he managed to $%@# it all up.basically stop acting like you belong on the god damn spectrum.

Now let’s go do some leg day.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

bud fox wrote:
05 May 2021 21:41
APB wrote:
05 May 2021 21:20
bud fox wrote:
05 May 2021 20:32

You are literally using stats in which the biggest influence is QB play.

They were not getting open. They had bad drops.

Bucs receivers were saving Brady's wishful sky high balls with unbelievable plays.

Very foolish by you.
So let me see if I got this...

Anything good happens, it’s the QB. Anything bad, it’s on the WRs.

Unless, of course, we’re talking about the Bucs. Then it’s the opposite.

Got it. :aok:
No you watch the game.

You obviously missed it.
I watched Brady have 4 beautiful long strikes (and one miracle catch) that changed the game. They were so beautiful it, along with a defense that forced an Aaron Jones fumble inside the 2 yardline, was enough to win the game, even with 3 big turnovers.

I saw Rodgers miss a wide open WR in the endzone.

I saw Rodgers make a wrong read before halftime and instead throw the ball in a more vulnerable situation.

I saw Rodgers overshoot MVS when a play was there that was likely 6 points.

I saw Rodgers have a shot at the endzone if he tucked it and ran but instead threw a ball where it wasn't there.

I saw Adams drop one in the endzone

I saw Lazard run a wrong route inside the 10 yardline.

I saw MVS ball out.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Aaron Rodgers: "I demand to be traded. I don't want to play for the Packers anymore!"

Packers: "whoa, whoa. Where has this come from? Why do you want to be traded?"

Aaron Rodgers: "Because you might trade me in 2023 and I don't want you to have the ability to trade me!!!"

Packers: "So let me get this straight. You want us to trade you....

Rodgers: "...yes"

Packers: "....because you don't want us to trade you"

Rodgers: "Exactly! Get me out of here. I am all about winning!"

Packers: 'looks at current roster set up for another potential SB run in 3 years'...."wait. what?"
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

lupedafiasco wrote:
05 May 2021 23:58
bud fox wrote:
05 May 2021 23:51
Pckfn23 wrote:

Ive never thought it was about the money. All about TRUST.
Oh, there's that word - again. It'll be the word that's on Aaron's NFL headstone once he's gone.

OK. Let it be so. The Packers have invested about a quarter of a BILLION dollars in Aaron Rodgers and unquestionably committed all of his playing days, so far, to him being the starter. I'd say that speaks to trust an awful lot, no matter what else might or might not be happening.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Right, his whole stink is about the team committing to him (and thus not trading or cutting him next year) so he stays with the Packers, and the leverage he is using is....wanting to leave the Packers.

What?

Rodgers' problem in all of this (that ratio above is way off, its more like 30-70, Rodgers is way underwater in fans opinion on this one) is that its ill defined what it is he wants. Does he want GB to get Kumerow back? Fire the GM?

Its like one of those temper tantrums in kids where noone including the kid has any idea of why they are doing it; demands are shoehorned into the tantrum, but appeasing those demands if anything makes the tantrum worse.

We've been sitting around chatting about this since the day of the draft, I still have no idea of what #12's problem is (many of the "reasons" really don't coexist, such as using leverage to leave the team so that the team doesn't make him leave). And he's a passive aggressive jerk that will never confront anything head on, so the one person that will never tell us what Aaron's problem is is Aaron himself.

And I don't see how this doesn't completely destroy any chance he had with Jeopardy. Why would the shows producers even consider a problem employee like this? People that go public about and make a big stink about their employment contract aren't exactly the kind of people you want to give contracts too. Unlike the NFL and quarterbacking, there are a whole lot of people that can do a great job hosting Jeopardy.

Aaron was the most Trebeck-like of the guest hosts thus far, but I'm guessing that's a bigger hurt than help, host replacements on shows tend to go a different direction (see the biggest examples, Leno->Fallon (Conan was the most Leno-like) and Stewart->Noah (Colbert was the most Sterwart-like). Hence why Levar Burton is the odds on favorite right now (dude hosted Reading Rainbow when many Jeopardy watchers were kids, and he was chief engineer on the Enterprise (aka the ship smart guy)), instead of doing an Alex impression, he has his own brand of smart guy that competes with what Alex did. I mean, for host of a nerd show do you want a jock or a nerd icon?
Last edited by Waldo on 06 May 2021 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
05 May 2021 21:58
@bud fox Media members on Twitter and say, the Insider Inbox on packers.com seem to indicate that they are hearing from a TON of fans who are very opposed to Rodgers' current behavior.

I'd say for the fan base, you could even flip that 60/40 in favor of the organization. This is anecdotal but pretty much every friend I have, whether it be in person or on Facebook have all posted some variation of "well get the $%@# out then". Rodgers was also boo'd at a Timberattlers game last night when his commercial came on the big screen. Fans are pissed, and the majority of them think Rodgers is either in the wrong or has a point but is going about it the wrong way.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Look I agree that Rodgers is being a jerk and I SEE the irony in demanding a trade because you think they might trade you later.

But remember that Rodgers’ while public press reaction after the Love pick has been talking about how he’s realizing he doesn’t control his destiny anymore. That he has lost control of that decision.

Rodgers told us then what he wants. He wants the ability to control his situation. If he thinks the Packers intend to trade him before the end of his contract, he wants to leave on his own terms, not on theirs.

There’s decently credible reporting that the Packers have resisted giving up that flexibility beyond a certain point. And Rodgers wants that assurance beyond that point. It sounds like they were at least a year apart in their desires.

And so if they won’t give him the assurances he wants, he wants out now. On his terms.

I’m not saying the rest makes sense. I’m not saying he’s handling it well. I’m not denying that he seems to be throwing a tantrum without a clear path out that his desire to hurt or embarrass the team is not abhorrent.

I’m just saying the resolution he seeks is about trust and control, and while those are vague and it’s difficult to place them into tangible steps and agree upon levels, that much seems clear to me.

Rodgers wants more control over team decisions that affect him and over his own career’s end. And he doesn’t trust the team to give that to him, to honor it, or to act upon his input and interests. For good reason. The team doesn’t and shouldn’t give him as much control as he wants.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 May 2021 07:53
Look I agree that Rodgers is being a jerk and I SEE the irony in demanding a trade because you think they might trade you later.

But remember that Rodgers’ while public press reaction after the Love pick has been talking about how he’s realizing he doesn’t control his destiny anymore. That he has lost control of that decision.

Rodgers told us then what he wants. He wants the ability to control his situation. If he thinks the Packers intend to trade him before the end of his contract, he wants to leave on his own terms, not on theirs.

There’s decently credible reporting that the Packers have resisted giving up that flexibility beyond a certain point. And Rodgers wants that assurance beyond that point. It sounds like they were at least a year apart in their desires.

And so if they won’t give him the assurances he wants, he wants out now. On his terms.

I’m not saying the rest makes sense. I’m not saying he’s handling it well. I’m not denying that he seems to be throwing a tantrum without a clear path out that his desire to hurt or embarrass the team is not abhorrent.

I’m just saying the resolution he seeks is about trust and control, and while those are vague and it’s difficult to place them into tangible steps and agree upon levels, that much seems clear to me.

Rodgers wants more control over team decisions that affect him and over his own career’s end. And he doesn’t trust the team to give that to him, to honor it, or to act upon his input and interests. For good reason. The team doesn’t and shouldn’t give him as much control as he wants.
:aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 07:43
Right, his whole stink is about the team committing to him (and thus not trading or cutting him next year) so he stays with the Packers, and the leverage he is using is....wanting to leave the Packers.

What?

Rodgers' problem in all of this (that ratio above is way off, its more like 30-70, Rodgers is way underwater in fans opinion on this one) is that its ill defined what it is he wants. Does he want GB to get Kumerow back? Fire the GM?

Its like one of those temper tantrums in kids where noone including the kid has any idea of why they are doing it; demands are shoehorned into the tantrum, but appeasing those demands if anything makes the tantrum worse.

We've been sitting around chatting about this since the day of the draft, I still have no idea of what #12's problem is (many of the "reasons" really don't coexist, such as using leverage to leave the team so that the team doesn't make him leave). And he's a passive aggressive jerk that will never confront anything head on, so the one person that will never tell us what Aaron's problem is is Aaron himself.
this Kumerow stuff is more about the media hyping it then a Rodgers grievance, I'd bet hard earned cash that with all the meetings Guty, Murph, and Lafluer had with him never where they willing to give him a no trade clause that ran through the length of his present contract, more and more it seems they want to be able to trade him after 2022 to a team that will give us the most compensation, and that is something that he seems unwilling to go along with.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Its not about money, its about respect and trust.

So to show I'm worthy of respect and trust, I'll go ahead and trash the team publicly through agents and breach my contract with them.

Fans: ????