Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 08:08
Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 07:43
Right, his whole stink is about the team committing to him (and thus not trading or cutting him next year) so he stays with the Packers, and the leverage he is using is....wanting to leave the Packers.

What?

Rodgers' problem in all of this (that ratio above is way off, its more like 30-70, Rodgers is way underwater in fans opinion on this one) is that its ill defined what it is he wants. Does he want GB to get Kumerow back? Fire the GM?

Its like one of those temper tantrums in kids where noone including the kid has any idea of why they are doing it; demands are shoehorned into the tantrum, but appeasing those demands if anything makes the tantrum worse.

We've been sitting around chatting about this since the day of the draft, I still have no idea of what #12's problem is (many of the "reasons" really don't coexist, such as using leverage to leave the team so that the team doesn't make him leave). And he's a passive aggressive jerk that will never confront anything head on, so the one person that will never tell us what Aaron's problem is is Aaron himself.
this Kumerow stuff is more about the media hyping it then a Rodgers grievance, I'd bet hard earned cash that with all the meetings Guty, Murph, and Lafluer had with him never where they willing to give him a no trade clause that ran through the length of his present contract, more and more it seems they want to be able to trade him after 2022 to a team that will give us the most compensation, and that is something that he seems unwilling to go along with.
I know it makes you feel really, really good to think this because it paints the picture that Rodgers is a reasonable person and is not asking for much here.

I think it is far more reasonable to believe if all it took was for the Packers to have something where the Packers put a no trade clause and keep everything else constant so he is the Packers QB for the next 3 years...no extra money, flexibility to shift cap dollars....and Rodgers would have said yes to that and be happy with that and the Packers are set up for a SB run likely in 2021 and maybe 2022....

this would have been resolved months ago.

No I think Rodgers wants WAY more than you are implying. Or else we would never be in this situation to begin with.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I can’t understand why he would want an extension. Get the current deal fully guaranteed, and if you work out a new deal with the Packers at 40...great!

If you are an FA you can pick wherever you want to go on your terms. You can set up the current Brady situation.

Seems what he would want is to not get moved during his current deal, and the freedom to pick his spot after the deal.

This thing really only makes sense if you consider that Rodgers doesn’t really want an extension, or want to play out this deal. He’s just using that stuff to sling mud and the truth is he is just taking his ball and going home and he wants out NOW. No matter what the packers do at this point.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 08:39
Its not about money, its about respect and trust.

So to show I'm worthy of respect and trust, I'll go ahead and trash the team publicly through agents and breach my contract with them.

Fans: ????
whats he breaching? we gave him a 4 year contract, we should honor the contract we've given him, and maybe we would have, but then we moved up and took a QB in round one, and he (could be right) has the impression he wont get to play it out, and Guty will trade him for compensation before his last contract season.

which is done often enough that Rodgers expects that will be the case, seems all about getting return compensation to recoup some contract money, not hard to imagine players like Rodgers hating that.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 09:11
Waldo wrote:

So to show I'm worthy of respect and trust, I'll go ahead and trash the team publicly through agents and breach my contract with them.

whats he breaching? we gave him a 4 year contract, we should honor the contract we've given him, and maybe we would have, but then we moved up and took a QB in round one, and he (could be right) has the impression he wont get to play it out, and Guty will trade him for compensation before his last contract season.

which is done often enough that Rodgers expects that will be the case, seems all about getting return compensation to recoup some contract money, not hard to imagine players like Rodgers hating that.
:messedup:

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
06 May 2021 08:54
Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 08:08
Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 07:43
Right, his whole stink is about the team committing to him (and thus not trading or cutting him next year) so he stays with the Packers, and the leverage he is using is....wanting to leave the Packers.

What?

Rodgers' problem in all of this (that ratio above is way off, its more like 30-70, Rodgers is way underwater in fans opinion on this one) is that its ill defined what it is he wants. Does he want GB to get Kumerow back? Fire the GM?

Its like one of those temper tantrums in kids where noone including the kid has any idea of why they are doing it; demands are shoehorned into the tantrum, but appeasing those demands if anything makes the tantrum worse.

We've been sitting around chatting about this since the day of the draft, I still have no idea of what #12's problem is (many of the "reasons" really don't coexist, such as using leverage to leave the team so that the team doesn't make him leave). And he's a passive aggressive jerk that will never confront anything head on, so the one person that will never tell us what Aaron's problem is is Aaron himself.
this Kumerow stuff is more about the media hyping it then a Rodgers grievance, I'd bet hard earned cash that with all the meetings Guty, Murph, and Lafluer had with him never where they willing to give him a no trade clause that ran through the length of his present contract, more and more it seems they want to be able to trade him after 2022 to a team that will give us the most compensation, and that is something that he seems unwilling to go along with.
I know it makes you feel really, really good to think this because it paints the picture that Rodgers is a reasonable person and is not asking for much here.

I think it is far more reasonable to believe if all it took was for the Packers to have something where the Packers put a no trade clause and keep everything else constant so he is the Packers QB for the next 3 years...no extra money, flexibility to shift cap dollars....and Rodgers would have said yes to that and be happy with that and the Packers are set up for a SB run likely in 2021 and maybe 2022....

this would have been resolved months ago.

No I think Rodgers wants WAY more than you are implying. Or else we would never be in this situation to begin with.
wrong, I don't feel good about any of this, your the guy who is willing to let him sit and move on without him, throw any chance for a SB out the window, so don't be painting me asa jerk

and it's not about Rodgers playing this year and next, we gave hima contract through the 23 season, and it appears with the drafting of Love 4 years prior to it that Guty intends to trade him and recoup some contract money with draft picks, possibly some players prior to that, and Rodgers is not going along with it, and your right about one thing, I don't blame Rodgers for wanting in writing a no trade clause to finish this contract, it's time for the team to honor it fully.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 May 2021 09:18
Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 09:11
Waldo wrote:

:messedup:
seriously why is it a team wants to use a player till the last year of his deal then expect to be able to recoup compensation, in this case massive compensation and be able to trade him to possibly the worst team in the league if they are the ones that compensate the most? nothing about that is fare, Favre had a good point and we only got a 3rd rounder for him, this compensation is recouping contract dollars a team paid in the first place.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

This take is gonna sound funny but I wonder if Rodgers is seeing potential in Love at practice and that is why he is so concerned about a commitment from GB? Don't laugh but I can't think of another reason why AR is behaving like this other than he feels threatened by Love. Murphy, MLF and Gute have all said publicly that they want Rodgers to be our starter for the foreseeable future. They even offered him more money and an extension if reports are true so I don't know what more they can offer him. I never thought Rodgers would turn into Farve...

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pugger wrote:
06 May 2021 09:27
This take is gonna sound funny but I wonder if Rodgers is seeing potential in Love at practice and that is why he is so concerned about a commitment from GB? Don't laugh but I can't think of another reason why AR is behaving like this other than he feels threatened by Love. Murphy, MLF and Gute have all said publicly that they want Rodgers to be our starter for the foreseeable future. They even offered him more money and an extension if reports are true so I don't know what more they can offer him. I never thought Rodgers would turn into Farve...
I just don't think anyone has seen enough of Love for his play to drive this.

If ANYTHING, Rodgers sees the LACK of clear signs for Love as a way to increase his leverage. Gotta strike now while Love is an unknown. If Love balls out all year as the backup in practice and OTAs, Rodgers loses his leverage of withholding his services.

This is the only year Rodgers has leverage. He didn't have it last year because he hadn't played well. He may not have it next year because Love will be a more known commodity. Right now, the team feels like it NEEDS him to compete; that the team has been built in the long and short term around the notion that Rodgers plays this year and we are Super Bowl contenders. This is the only year he can derail the team's plans with his own action, so he's taking it.

However, he still has limited leverage because if the team decides they can endure the distraction, his options are
  • sit home and be fined in ways that are CBA-mandated and not able to be waived or re-paid by teams even if they want to,
  • to retire, pay back about $30 million in signing bonus money he has already received, and the team would still hold his rights to trade after this season if he wants to come back
  • or to play for us.
So it's mostly PR, media, and distraction management. MLF has a TASK getting his locker room focused and ready and together. Adams is already a little salty and clearly wants a big new contract. Z wants a big new contract and is pretty mad he didn't get one when they renegotiated him... who knows who else is starting to feel it.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

While I have made my feelings clear earlier, there are a couple of things I want to add. Too many things said by others are being taken as if Rodgers said them directly. While I believe Rodgers needs to come out and address this situation, no one here really knows if Rodgers said some of these things or not. There is a hell of a lot of innuendo and hearsay taken as facts here. That is wrong and should not be happening. Until Rodgers addresses this directly, we don't know the truth. It's all just speculation. Rodgers is certainly intelligent enough and could be orchestrating all of this. The problem is that this kind of stuff can take on a life of it's own. However, the longer Rodgers lets this go without publicly addressing it, the more it looks like this is going the way he wants.

I have not been a fan of this new organizational structure since it was implemented. Given that the organization has obviously made mistakes, I am left wondering how much of this is due to organizational dysfunction and poor communication. A good organization does need to take into consideration employee feelings and attitudes. That doesn't mean I believe they should let employees choose other employees, but they do need to consider the impact of their decisions on the employees.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pugger wrote:
06 May 2021 09:27
Don't laugh but I can't think of another reason why AR is behaving like this other than he feels threatened by Love.
I mention this earlier in the thread. It was an absolute core dynamic in the Favre "fiasco" that fans were totally oblivious to. The FO knew, the coaches knew, Brett knew. Aaron could play.

This whole thing is full of contradictions from Aaron, but chief among them is why is Aaron afraid of the team moving on to someone that can't play. Fans and blathering talking heads may say "well he's the heir because they drafted him in the first" but #26 overall is certainly not "we're moving on from our HOF starter" level commitment. Nobody in the organization has any motivation to play Love if he can't play. Noone. Putting a guy on the field that can't play looks even worse for Gute than cutting bait once you've seen enough behind the scenes. #26 is not organization destroying value lost like a top 5 pick, its just an annoying pothole.

It can't be stated and restated enough that GB clearly needed a good backup QB given the previous few years and what a flop the backup situ was. you back up vets with rookies and rookies with vets. If GB would have traded down a couple spots and taken him #33 overall instead of trading up to #26, this whole "respect" narrative would be a whole lot of nothing, GB took a strong prospect to develop as a backup QB. That''s how absurd this situation is, 7 draft slots and the entirety of the narrative around Love evaporates completely. Everyone everywhere rates #26 on the same quality tier as #33.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

williewasgreat wrote:
06 May 2021 09:41
While I have made my feelings clear earlier, there are a couple of things I want to add. Too many things said by others are being taken as if Rodgers said them directly. While I believe Rodgers needs to come out and address this situation, no one here really knows if Rodgers said some of these things or not. There is a hell of a lot of innuendo and hearsay taken as facts here. That is wrong and should not be happening. Until Rodgers addresses this directly, we don't know the truth. It's all just speculation. Rodgers is certainly intelligent enough and could be orchestrating all of this. The problem is that this kind of stuff can take on a life of it's own. However, the longer Rodgers lets this go without publicly addressing it, the more it looks like this is going the way he wants.
Ha, the passive aggressive king will NEVER directly tell fans what his grievances are.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

It can safely be assumed most of this is Aaron talking through agents.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
and it's not about Rodgers playing this year and next, we gave hima contract through the 23 season, and it appears with the drafting of Love 4 years prior to it that Guty intends to trade him and recoup some contract money with draft picks, possibly some players prior to that, and Rodgers is not going along with it, and your right about one thing, I don't blame Rodgers for wanting in writing a no trade clause to finish this contract, it's time for the team to honor it fully.
Yup. And again as I stated in my last post, it certainly seems, especially because there are reports the Packers have even offered an extension beyond 2023, that this riff will not be solved by a simple "add a no trade clause"

If that's all it took, I wouldn't like it...but I would absolutely do it in a second and it sounds like the Packers offered something in that area as well if they are talking about extensions and making him the highest paid player. Like the Packers are offering more than what you have been implying of just wanting to finish out his current contract.

Adding a No Trade Clause is not too much of a give back to make your HOF franchise QB happy especially because our team is setup to likely have two more years of serious SB runs. So it certainly seems like Rodgers wants more. If he didn't....I don't' think this thread even exists.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Maybe a little apology needed from those mad at Rodgers for leaking this on draft day.
RIP JustJeff

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Schefter was sitting on a bomb and decided to drop it at the best time for him. Schefter also said the packers were not the source leak. Sounds like it was a rival or this stuff was becoming common knowledge around the league.

Either way, Rodgers can still grab a mic and begin to clear it up or clearly state his intentions.

The post game presser after the NFCCG is looking more and more cryptic now

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
06 May 2021 10:16
Maybe a little apology needed from those mad at Rodgers for leaking this on draft day.
His own words contradict this putting toothpaste back in the tube.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

NCF wrote:
06 May 2021 10:20
Right, if Aaron did not intend for this to happen, the brakes would have been put on it real quick.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 10:23
NCF wrote:
Right, if Aaron did not intend for this to happen, the brakes would have been put on it real quick.
Yeah I think he was smart enough to keep plausible deniability but he could have said within one hour

“This is not true”
“We are having intense negotiations with the intentions to work out the issues”
Or even “I did not leak this, but I do not plan to return to GB”

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
06 May 2021 10:08
Yoop wrote:
Yup. And again as I stated in my last post, it certainly seems, especially because there are reports the Packers have even offered an extension beyond 2023, that this riff will not be solved by a simple "add a no trade clause"

If that's all it took, I wouldn't like it...but I would absolutely do it in a second and it sounds like the Packers offered something in that area as well if they are talking about extensions and making him the highest paid player. Like the Packers are offering more than what you have been implying of just wanting to finish out his current contract.

Adding a No Trade Clause is not too much of a give back to make your HOF franchise QB happy especially because our team is setup to likely have two more years of serious SB runs. So it certainly seems like Rodgers wants more. If he didn't....I don't' think this thread even exists.
as I have said repeatedly it's not about money or extending this contract, it's about Guaranteeing the contract he does have now, which it seems obvious has never been on the table, he wants control to be able to start if physically able and not be traded premature to any team so that Guty can recoup compensation for him. adding years does nothing without some sort of no trade clause.

and it goes without saying that Guty and the FO should include him with major discussions going forward that also affect his and the teams future, it's not giving him control over such things, it's simply allowing him a opinion, and just because Guty and Murph said they've always welcomed that doesn't cut muster when ya look at all the mismanagement issues the last 5 year, they are being less then truthful.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 10:23
NCF wrote:
first thing he said was he didn't want this out in the media, who are we going to believe Rodgers or Shefter?

and once it was the media took it in every direction they could to sell ink, Kumerow for crip sacks, and if Lynch can call Garapolo a month before the draft to explain there intentions, then Guty should have had the fore sight and courtesy to do the same for his starting QB

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 10:37
go pak go wrote:
06 May 2021 10:08
Yoop wrote:

as I have said repeatedly it's not about money or extending this contract, it's about Guaranteeing the contract he does have now, which it seems obvious has never been on the table, he wants control to be able to start if physically able and not be traded premature to any team so that Guty can recoup compensation for him. adding years does nothing without some sort of no trade clause.
What makes this obvious? What makes you believe this hasn't been on the table?
Yoop wrote: