Rodgers Reconciliation Solution Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Just a reminder that there is a whole thread for the non-reconciliation parts.

I'm trying to limit this to what reconciliation looks like to us, get a feel for that side of things.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

l
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

The team has no financial OR trade compensation incentive to move Aaron this year. The only downside is what it might do to the locker room (Davante, Bak, Lewis, etc..) if he sits on the sidelines slinging dung. If #12 sits out even 1 game, he has to sit them all out, lest poor performance by him completely tank any value his stunt tried to pump up (he can only do this because he's the reining MVP).

Teams are MOST QB needy right after the season, and LEAST QB needy as camp opens. GB would almost certainly get higher trade compensation if they traded him after the season than now before the season, after the draft.

Financially they can't move him until after June 1 without cutting other players to make up the cap space needed. But then there is no difference between 6/1/21 and 5/31/22 financially, so there is no 6/1 urgency.

I think Rodgers sits the year, and the team trades him at the trade deadline (to a team clearly going to be picking top 5 next year) or at the start of next league year.

I also think Rodgers sitting completely tanks any ability he has to pick his desitination, because Rodgers being a whiny baby and sitting out is already going to be priced into the trade; GB will be trading "this is now your problem to deal with" along with the reining MVP.

Reconciliation purely has to come from Rodgers. Giving into the demands of a tantrum thrower never solves the tantrum, as any parent knows.
Last edited by Waldo on 06 May 2021 09:08, edited 2 times in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If it is not about compensation then there is no reconciliation. Rodgers wants what no athlete can or should have, a say in personnel decisions. Keep him on the roster for 2021, whether he plays or not and trade him in February.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 May 2021 08:25

I'm trying to limit this to what reconciliation looks like to us, get a feel for that side of things.
I think a soft consensus is that it isn't possible now.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:

I pretty much think the reconciliation needs to come from Rodgers at this point to be honest.

Especially when there are reports he has been offered some olive branches and turned it down. The olive branches that have been extended are honestly more than I wanted to extend anyways.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

he doesn't want control over team decisions, just to be included in the conversation about them, he liked Kumerow as a friend, he didn't all of a sudden decide to do this because Guty cut Kumerow, as to telling FA he may not be here, who here hasn't said something that they new was a half truthful statement when they said it? come on, you guys are looking for anything to kick Rodgers out the door, and you grasp all this media hype as though it's your last meal.

if all he wants is control to play out this contract so the team can't send him to ????? wherever then thats what Guty and staff should give him.

sitting him is a lose lose for us

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 May 2021 08:40
YoHoChecko wrote:

well from the tone of this room some have already moved on, all I can say is good luck with that, you may never have a QB anywhere near Rodgers ability for a long long time.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 08:52
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

well from the tone of this room some have already moved on, all I can say is good luck with that, you may never have a QB anywhere near Rodgers ability for a long long time.
Hopefully we won't have a QB whose as big of a dick for a long long time too.

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Right, but you are equating his whole career with the 0-1-2-3-4 years playing at a high level he has left.

I mean its more likely than not than 2020 was his late career zenith and that he will never look that good again. Most likely from here on out he is a QB in decline, potentially steep decline. He didn't exactly light the league on fire in the last half decade leading up to 2020.

At some point the one QB that you can be sure is not going to give you another 2020 Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers himself further declining.

If you were paying attention, Rodgers straight up missed throws more in 2020 than he has since 2005. He took a lot less sacks and threw it away a lot less, so it didn't appear in his stats at all, but we all saw him miss throws. The ball failed to go where he wanted it to more in 2020 than it did 2008-2013 combined.

At some point the best chance at recreating the magic is moving on to someone else.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 May 2021 09:21
Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

well the odds aren't to good, the last one was a dick to, and they all seem to be these days.

like I said in the other thread, guys like Rodgers (all players really) hate the compensation tactics teams use to recoup some of the contract money by trading them a year or so early when they are still playing well, I expect something will happen to change this in the next contract, ya have to let players finish contracts, it's no where even close to fair bargaining when a team has this much control of a players future.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 09:32
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:

well the odds aren't to good, the last one was a dick to, and they all seem to be these days.

like I said in the other thread, guys like Rodgers (all players really) hate the compensation tactics teams use to recoup some of the contract money by trading them a year or so early when they are still playing well, I expect something will happen to change this in the next contract, ya have to let players finish contracts, it's no where even close to fair bargaining when a team has this much control of a players future.
I don't know, yoop... I just don't buy this point. He is going to get traded and get a fat new contract from his new team. This isn't hurting his pocket book, at all. It's about control and only about control.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Waldo wrote:
06 May 2021 09:30
Yoop wrote:
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:

Right, but you are equating his whole career with the 0-1-2-3-4 years playing at a high level he has left.

I mean its more likely than not than 2020 was his late career zenith and that he will never look that good again. Most likely from here on out he is a QB in decline, potentially steep decline. He didn't exactly light the league on fire in the last half decade leading up to 2020.

At some point the one QB that you can be sure is not going to give you another 2020 Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers himself further declining.

If you were paying attention, Rodgers straight up missed throws more in 2020 than he has since 2005. He took a lot less sacks and threw it away a lot less, so it didn't appear in his stats at all, but we all saw him miss throws. The ball failed to go where he wanted it to more in 2020 than it did 2008-2013 combined.

At some point the best chance at recreating the magic is moving on to someone else.
I don't see it that way now in Matts offense, and I'd bet that if he had a very good slot receiver like I expect he will with Amari that Adams wouldn't have been targeted nearly as much as he was last year, MVS had his best season, but he and the rest are long striders and take to much time to clear coverage, Matts schemes helped them to, under Mike McCarthy I might agree with you, those time developing Routes would shorten the career of any QB, specially with the receivers we;ve had for 5 years, I've never blames Rodgers solely for his performance with that group, no QB could have been much better under those circumstances.

Love is not ready and may never be that player you hope he is to move on with, heck it's a good debate to say Rodgers was prior to that year with Favre, Favre and all his warts was still our best chance to dance that year, and he was far more seasoned then Love is.

naw I think the FO should for go any thoughts of compensation, give him his 3 years to finish out here and thank you good bye, it's our best chance to win now and in the next couple years, this roster is built to win, but no team even as good as ours stands a decent chance to win it all without a good QB,

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 May 2021 09:40
Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 09:32
NCF wrote:

I don't know, yoop... I just don't buy this point. He is going to get traded and get a fat new contract from his new team. This isn't hurting his pocket book, at all. It's about control and only about control.
he doesn't care about the money, it's still about winning, he first wants to win right here, and when his contract is over with here, he wants control of whatever his plans are for the future, it would be the same for you or me, baffling how simple I'am explaining this yet you and other seem to disagree, your right it is about control, FO controlling his future even though there under contract too and for all appearances dont want to honor it., it's a two way street.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 09:52
it's a two way street.
But, it's not. This is generally understood about NFL contracts because they are not fully guaranteed. The power does lean towards the team. Fair or not, it's reality and I don't think they are treating Rodgers differently than anyone else or any team treats any player.

It's another conversation if you want to get into treatment of star players, etc., but this is not the Packers singling Rodgers out. This is the Packers doing what's best for the Packers and right now it's navigating the difficult waters while hedging their bets on Rodgers and Love.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
06 May 2021 09:57
Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 09:52
it's a two way street.
But, it's not. This is generally understood about NFL contracts because they are not fully guaranteed. The power does lean towards the team. Fair or not, it's reality and I don't think they are treating Rodgers differently than anyone else or any team treats any player.

It's another conversation if you want to get into treatment of star players, etc., but this is not the Packers singling Rodgers out. This is the Packers doing what's best for the Packers and right now it's navigating the difficult waters while hedging their bets on Rodgers and Love.
OK, but I still think you make exceptions for players like Rodgers, NE did with Brady, players of this caliber should be allowed to finish there contracts and not be used as bargaining chips for extra compensation over what the league provides

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

The big question about reconciliation is - who wants to reconcile?

Favre retired and changed his mind; he wanted back in, but the Packers as a whole didn't want him back. I dare say they wouldn't have pushed him out, but once he had gone, they didn't want him back - not as starter, anyway. Reason - it was time to play Rodgers.

Now Rodgers is in a way forcing the same issue, but the other way round - he (it appears) wants out. So the question is, how good is Love? If the Packers management think that Love is the next HoF quarterback, then they might not want to reconcile. This could be a heaven-sent chance to trade Rodgers for value while not looking (much) like bad guys.

On the other hand, if they think Love is never going to achieve much, that's when they need to reconcile. Quite urgently. How do they do it? No idea. If what Rodgers wants is (as implied) control over the general manager, then that can't happen. You cannot give any player, however good, that power. You can't reconcile oil and water.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Based on the reports that the Packers offered an extension, more money, been flying out to CA multiple times etc....

It certainly seems the Packers really want to reconcile with Rodgers. They spent WAY more time talking about it over the Draft weekend than they normally ever would and Gute basically used the platform as a public apology saying he screwed up on communication and MLF was in the public using his platform as a way of almost pleading Aaron to come back.

I think it is pretty clear the Packers do not want to force Love into any starting role at this point and are making efforts that #12 will be the captain of the ship in 2021 at the least.
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’d offer a replacement, 4 year fully guaranteed contract, under the assumptions that the cap part of it has to make sense for us in ‘21 and ‘22, then also not nearing the highest paid player money. The 45 million per from Mahomes isn’t a fair comparison given the duration of that contract.

I’d even throw in a no trade clause, at a bit of a price.

Aaron has to sacrifice some things, money, security, control, or duration. Just can’t have them all.

But also if I’m Aaron, I do want that control to not be traded. Don’t want to have the Packers pick your destination and have that team gutted on picks and a player or two. Bucs gave up nothing other than cap. If they had to give up their top 10 pick for the tackle, and subsequent picks, and a quality veteran last year, they likely aren’t winning.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The Packers definitely want to reconcile and they should want to reconcile.

Aaron Rodgers allegedly does not want to reconcile.

So this thread is about guessing at what it takes to reconcile if Aaron changes his mind.

I genuinely believe that Rodgers will, eventually, see that he has no good options. But he will not tuck tail, admit he's wrong, and bow down to the org; it's neither in his nature nor in most people's nature. Once a dispute goes public, if you want it resolved, even the side that gets their way and wins, if it truly wants reconciliation and not outright victory, needs to put forth the appearance of a cordial, mutual arrangement to the public.

So Rodgers can't return without the team giving him something. It's less about figuring out what Rodgers WANTS and more about figuring out what to offer to show the public that he got something (but not too much) out of this when he returns. I think the passage of time and the recognition that he's not going anywhere and he has no real incentive to sit out is going to bring him closer to a return. But I also think to coexist, he needs to get what the team is willing to give.

I do NOT want to trade Jordan Love at his lowest value point. It's really bad business to sell lower than you buy. And there is no reason to think any team wants Jordan Love more this year than they would have last year. And no reason not to think Jordan Love is likely a more NFL-ready prospect this year than he was last year--but there's no proof.

If a Packers offensive staff member was hired for another team this year that was QB-needy, then there could be some natural fits for someone with inside info, but right now, if a Jordan Love trade is a key to reconciliation, it would really bite the team--especially since they have no backup QB on the roster.

So whether or not reconciliation seems possible right now, I'm just examining what it might look like if/when it does become possible.

At some point, this situation will reach a resolution. And the Packers hold the power AND do not want to trade him. If it's a game of "who blinks first" then training camp and the regular season bring some serious consequences Rodgers' way if he doesn't blink. Not only the money, which he has plenty of, but his contract tolls--a year doesn't come off of his contract if he doesn't play. There will be 3 years left without a no trade clause whenever he resumes, this year or two years from now.

So if the team doesn't blink by August, Rodgers' situation gets pretty serious. And he might want to come in. But he never will without a peace offering.