Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Drj820 wrote:
05 May 2021 20:36
For now, he seems to stick up for bums as long as they are locker room buddies with him.
A mistake that IMO he has made throughout his career.

Doesn't even apply to just "bums" but players whose play at the time didn't warrant the praise that he gave them.

2012 Cobb comes to mind. Yeah, he looked promising but the way Aaron talked him up at the time you'd think we had a blue chip WR in the stable. We could've used more premium investment at the position over the years and it does make one wonder how much influence his comments had on management's decisions (or lack thereof).

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
06 May 2021 13:25
Semi off topic:

Terry Bradshaw's comments about Rodgers made me think of Bart Starr. Different era I know, but Lombardi tried to replace Starr like 3 times!
really care to elaborate? Starr is easily a top 5 qb of all time, obviously not with passing stats, short ball era, be he was very accurate, short and long, heck first thing he said is that Starr would be his QB, after we just Took a Heisman winning QB from Notre Damn.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Ok so my "overblown" comment was actually me overblowing a comment. haha.

But, if this wasn't nearly as bad as it looks and Schefter was looking for viewership/clicks (as it seems he is), then my perspective on this might be a bit different. I've been in the "get rid of Rodgers camp" since I heard the whole "he wants the GM fired" report came out. I'm starting to not trust anything in the news about this story.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 May 2021 12:42
It's just power; it's control. It's wanting to control your own destiny in an industry in which that... just doesn't happen.
sure it does Yoho, in fact it just happened with Brady in NE if I'am not mistaken, why is it teams think they should be able to end your contract early, and trade you for the most compensation? most other positions aren't treated that way, there allowed to play through the contract, resigned or allowed to hit FA, it should be the same with QB's.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Acrobat wrote:
06 May 2021 15:56
I'm starting to not trust anything in the news about this story.
congrats, that's the smart move
IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
06 May 2021 14:50
I don't believe for a second it wasn't a strategic play to leak it on Thursday and that it was not orchestrated by Schefter.

I also don't believe this is all overblown, any longer. It's not a coincidence that it took Rodgers' buddies 6 days to start coming out and walking it back. If it was overblown from the start, a quick fix was readily available to Rodgers.
first thing Rodgers said was I wish that this had not LEAKED to the media, why can't you believe that was a honest statement?

sure I don't think the situation itself is over blown either, just that until I know more It's impossible to blame anyone for the leak, almost everything seems fabricated except his oppertunity to finish this contract as a Packer.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 17:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
I don't believe for a second it wasn't a strategic play to leak it on Thursday and that it was not orchestrated by Schefter.

I also don't believe this is all overblown, any longer. It's not a coincidence that it took Rodgers' buddies 6 days to start coming out and walking it back. If it was overblown from the start, a quick fix was readily available to Rodgers.
first thing Rodgers said was I wish that this had not LEAKED to the media, why can't you believe that was a honest statement?

sure I don't think the situation itself is over blown either, just that until I know more It's impossible to blame anyone for the leak, almost everything seems fabricated except his oppertunity to finish this contract as a Packer.
Schefter just came out and said he has no source for his report. It was a story based on accumulation of events.

ESPN wanted more eyes for advertising on draft day.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
06 May 2021 18:35
Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 17:21
Pckfn23 wrote:

Schefter just came out and said he has no source for his report. It was a story based on accumulation of events.

Yeah after watching Shefter on Patricks show I was stunned. He never got any info from Rodgers/camp or the Packers. Just his post game presser and that we knew he was unhappy with the Love pick. This is all just some blown up &%$@. He released it on draft day to add a fold to the draft. Something to talk about.

Regardless, the Love pick was still stupid.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 15:57
YoHoChecko wrote:
06 May 2021 12:42
It's just power; it's control. It's wanting to control your own destiny in an industry in which that... just doesn't happen.
sure it does Yoho, in fact it just happened with Brady in NE if I'am not mistaken, why is it teams think they should be able to end your contract early, and trade you for the most compensation? most other positions aren't treated that way, there allowed to play through the contract, resigned or allowed to hit FA, it should be the same with QB's.
It didn't happen with Brady. Brady ended up playing out his contract at age 40/41 and moving on to another team. The Patriots did not say "we'll keep you as long as you want." The Patriots did not extend his contract to keep him guaranteed to be on the team for the next three years at the end of each successful season.

In the end, Brady's situation played out because the Patriots and Tom Brady were unwilling to give each other control, so Brady ended up taking it. But he wasn't able to say 4 years ago "I'm going to play until I'm 45 and retire a Patriot." That same assurance was not given to him.

The closest model we can get to a team that lets the player know he can stay as long as he wants and they'll just keep renegotiating the contract to push dead money back is Drew Brees and the Saints.

A lot of people are comparing the Rodgers situation to Brady, but I think that's the wrong model. What Rodgers ACTUALLY wants is to be on a team that treats him the way the Saints treated Brees.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:

To be fair he didn't say he had NO sources. He said that almost every day of the offseason someone said something to him about the Rodgers situation. So yeah, it's an accumulation and didn't come "from Rodgers camp" allegedly, but only so many people know.

What I'm confused about, with so many people able to coroborrate so soon... it seems like for insiders, this was one of those "worst kept secret" things that everyone sorta knew about. So why didn't someone scoop it before Shefter did.

Shefter admitted once he saw the Paul Allen report about the 49ers trade rumors, he figured it wss only a matter of time before someone broke the story, so he did it. But if it was a long slow accumulation that people knew about, anyone could have dropped a bomb.

It totally makes sense for Shcefter to break it on draft day and get people on ESPN instead of NFL Network. I'm upset that this clarification that he gave TODAY wasn't made sooner.

Heck, he could have had the same impact by tweeting "teams are inquiring about Rodgers because it's the worst kept secret in the league that Rodgers is so disgruntled he doesn't want to return to Green Bay," and that would fit the story they're telling now. But that's not what he said. So yeah, I know he gets paid for clicks and I know how the industry works, but when your story blows up and you wait a week before clarifying that this was not a planted story by either involved party but a fairly well-known culmination of events, I'm gonna be irritated. Just like I'm irritated that Rodgers ain't talking yet. It's VERY easy to say something true and constructive when the world is gushing over a story about you. Not doing so is a CHOICE.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 15:50
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Semi off topic:

Terry Bradshaw's comments about Rodgers made me think of Bart Starr. Different era I know, but Lombardi tried to replace Starr like 3 times!
really care to elaborate? Starr is easily a top 5 qb of all time, obviously not with passing stats, short ball era, be he was very accurate, short and long, heck first thing he said is that Starr would be his QB, after we just Took a Heisman winning QB from Notre Damn.
Lombardi did not say Starr would be his QB in 1959. Starr was already in his 4th year but Lombardi was so...underwhelmed with Starr that he quickly brought in Lamar McHan to be his guy. Problem was McHan was a bit of a lose cannon, and lucky for Coach, Starr hung around and turned into a good QB by late 1960.

1963 - Lombardi drafted two QBs: Daryle Lamonica (12th rd) and Dennis Claridge (3rd rd). Lamonica went to the AFL, and Claridge stayed in college until 1964.

1967 - Lombardi drafted Don Horn in the 1st. Good thing Twitter and ESPN didn't exist then!
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
06 May 2021 19:57
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Semi off topic:

Lombardi did not say Starr would be his QB in 1959. Starr was already in his 4th year but Lombardi was so...underwhelmed with Starr that he quickly brought in Lamar McHan to be his guy. Problem was McHan was a bit of a lose cannon, and lucky for Coach, Starr hung around and turned into a good QB by late 1960.

1963 - Lombardi drafted two QBs: Daryle Lamonica (12th rd) and Dennis Claridge (3rd rd). Lamonica went to the AFL, and Claridge stayed in college until 1964.

1967 - Lombardi drafted Don Horn in the 1st. Good thing Twitter and ESPN didn't exist then!
As great of a coach as Lombardi was, he wasn't a very good GM.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

wallyuwl wrote:
06 May 2021 21:00
Would have loved to see what would have went down if he was able to partner with Jack Vainisi longer into the 60's.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 May 2021 19:35
It didn't happen with Brady. Brady ended up playing out his contract at age 40/41 and moving on to another team. The Patriots did not say "we'll keep you as long as you want." The Patriots did not extend his contract to keep him guaranteed to be on the team for the next three years at the end of each successful season.
unless I'am forgetting something Yoho, that was my point, Brady was allowed to finish his contract and leave, NE didn't trade him prior to gain compensation, as it appears we are with Rodgers,

I'd offer the no trade clause with no extension, no more money and see if that would work
Last edited by Yoop on 07 May 2021 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2021 06:42
wallyuwl wrote:
06 May 2021 21:00
Would have loved to see what would have went down if he was able to partner with Jack Vainisi longer into the 60's.
Yer gonna give Yoop a chub...

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 May 2021 19:42
bud fox wrote:

To be fair he didn't say he had NO sources. He said that almost every day of the offseason someone said something to him about the Rodgers situation. So yeah, it's an accumulation and didn't come "from Rodgers camp" allegedly, but only so many people know.

What I'm confused about, with so many people able to coroborrate so soon... it seems like for insiders, this was one of those "worst kept secret" things that everyone sorta knew about. So why didn't someone scoop it before Shefter did.

Shefter admitted once he saw the Paul Allen report about the 49ers trade rumors, he figured it wss only a matter of time before someone broke the story, so he did it. But if it was a long slow accumulation that people knew about, anyone could have dropped a bomb.

It totally makes sense for Shcefter to break it on draft day and get people on ESPN instead of NFL Network. I'm upset that this clarification that he gave TODAY wasn't made sooner.

Heck, he could have had the same impact by tweeting "teams are inquiring about Rodgers because it's the worst kept secret in the league that Rodgers is so disgruntled he doesn't want to return to Green Bay," and that would fit the story they're telling now. But that's not what he said. So yeah, I know he gets paid for clicks and I know how the industry works, but when your story blows up and you wait a week before clarifying that this was not a planted story by either involved party but a fairly well-known culmination of events, I'm gonna be irritated. Just like I'm irritated that Rodgers ain't talking yet. It's VERY easy to say something true and constructive when the world is gushing over a story about you. Not doing so is a CHOICE.
From here on out I'm going to disregard any "news" Shefter reports. He should apply for a position at The National Inquirer. :nono: The only "culmination" of events made public that I can recall was Rodgers was displeased when Gute drafted Love (AR wasn't the only one). All of last year Rodgers kept saying how much he enjoyed playing for MFL and this offense.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 07:16

I'd offer the no trade clause with no extension, no more money and see if that would work
Yeah. Pretty sure that has been offered.

Like that is an insanely small ask that the Packers would have happily obliged to do. If that's all it took....I will state it again.

This thread would not exist.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 May 2021 07:20
Yoop wrote:

Like that is an insanely small ask that the Packers would have happily obliged to do. If that's all it took....I will state it again.

NO, that is huge, thats why teams do it, thats why there is no sit for one year and be free to go anywhere with only a league awarded comp pick any more, which the players will fight to reinstate with the next contract

being able to trade Rodgers as soon as Guty and Lafluer think Love is ready to step in could gain us a couple first rounders, so you bet it's a sticking point and I'd contend the major issue, as I've always said when Guty says Rodgers is our QB this year and Beyond, beyond needs to de defined.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 07:27
go pak go wrote:
07 May 2021 07:20
Yoop wrote:

NO, that is huge, thats why teams do it, thats why there is no sit for one year and be free to go anywhere with only a league awarded comp pick any more, which the players will fight to reinstate with the next contract

being able to trade Rodgers as soon as Guty and Lafluer think Love is ready to step in could gain us a couple first rounders, so you bet it's a sticking point and I'd contend the major issue, as I've always said when Guty says Rodgers is our QB this year and Beyond, beyond needs to de defined.
Good ole bar talk.

Where nobody can prove they are right but are convinced they are. The smart phone and google largely destroyed bar talk. But it can't destroy this conversation because there is no way of knowing who is actually right.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
06 May 2021 19:57
Yoop wrote:
Crazylegs Starks wrote:
Semi off topic:

I forgot about McHan, underwhelmed with Starr because Brett was soooo humble and Vince possibly didn't think he had the back bone to stand up to the players and be a great leader, which he did become

the rest of the picks outside of horn where normal, ya need 3 QB's, ya got a established backup and a groomer, Horn though was drafted to be Starr's replacement, Careers where shorter back then and Bart was in his 11 season.

all I know is I watched a ton of training camp and open practices back then and Starr could thread the needle.