Rodgers Reconciliation Solution Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
06 May 2021 19:11
bud fox wrote:
06 May 2021 18:57
Sorry and also Green Bay had to address it.

It is a bomb of a story. Even if it is a story on assumption it is massive and partly accurate. There is an issue between management and Rodgers but who didn't know this - it was obvious.

No doubt GBs PR team and Rodgers PR team would have been working post the initial story but it seems the initial story was a media play to make money.
No, he said he had accumulated sources and information and was holding back on the story, but then when it broke in Minny he ran with what he had.

That's the way journalism works sometimes.
exactly no eureka moment.

There was no reason for it breaking on draft day aside from viewership.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
06 May 2021 17:55
why not just leave everything as is, and simply have him win the starting job till the contract is finished in 2023 with a no trade clause and resign him or let him walk as they do most players.
I would absolutely LOVE to leave everything as is except add a no trade clause and keep Rodgers either for 3 years or until he finds a place he specifically wants to go and asks out if Jordan Love is ready. But if that were the answer, just a simple no-trade clause, this would be resolved by now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Give him opt out years every year after we planned to backstab him anyway and give him a no trade clause the length of his contract.

If he isnt happy he can willingly leave and we cant force him out unless we cut him. Either way he gets the option to go where he wants if he leaves nd we get to keep him if we remain competitive and the FO starts doing their jobs properly.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, I got the sense from the beginning that this above all else was about job security or some assurance that he would be a Packer for life.

And man, I am really torn on that. I think I'm 60/40 Let Him Go (tl;dr warning)...
Spoiler
Keep Him:

+ You look at how long Brees and Brady have maintained a high level of play, Rodgers has comparable IQ and has way more arm strength to spare than those two did.

+ Relatedly, when the QB moves from winning on physical talent to winning on experience, knowledge, craftsmanship, that can really be a treat to watch (and yield some sweet returns, as Brady and Manning proved).

+ We are a sure-fire playoff team with him. We will probably get back to the NFCCG at least once or twice, and despite how poorly he has historically played there, somehow I have faith that he will buck the trend one of these days.

+ I want Rodgers to win another SuperBowl -AND- I want it to be with this team.

Let Go:

> Important as QB is, it's still a team game, and A LOT of our young stars (Jaire, Jenkins, Savage, Tonyan) and guys who could conceivably take a big next step (Gary, MVS) will hit the market in the next couple years. That's to say, we will likely have to decide between having lots of young talent around the roster, or a great QB with half the young talent.

> In terms of SuperBowl W's, the aging star QB has generally not been worth the investment. TB12 is the notable exception, but even that was with him taking far less than his market value (Pats) -OR- walking into a situation where a team has built an awesome roster save only for the QB spot (Bucs) much like Manning with the Broncos.

> A big part of what made Rodgers special was his legs and escape ability, neither part of his game will age well. At some level, it justified his risk-aversion and propensity to take sacks. He has been reinventing himself a bit under LaFleur lately, but old habits die hard.

> Again, if he was behind the leaks... relationships are built on trust, and he has damaged it. Diva though he can be at times, I seriously did not believe he of all people would make us relive the Favre saga.

> We know what we have in Rodgers; Love is an unknown. That said, Love is a great physical talent on a team with great pieces on offense and is being molded by an O-minded coach who runs a QB-friendly system. So: retain all the young talent on this roster long-term and get 3-4 years of Love giving us (*fingers crossed*) good QB play, re-sign him on a QB deal that does not break the bank... that team has a shot to dominate for a while.

> I have to come to terms with the fact that Aaron's NFCCGs are Brett's playoff INTs. A big part of the reason I hated the Love pick was because Rodgers was not the thing holding an otherwise-strong the team back ala Favre, but now I am not so sure. Rodgers takes up a big chunk of the 'cap, which is fine if he delivers when we need it most, but our success with him has seemed to hit a wall.
As a fan, I want nothing more than for Rodgers to win another SuperBowl with *this* team. Like, I would ship Love out of town for it to happen... BUT, there is a pretty persuasive argument to make that this team's best shot at championships is actually with Love, not Rodgers.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
06 May 2021 23:06
Yeah, I got the sense from the beginning that this above all else was about job security or some assurance that he would be a Packer for life.

And man, I am really torn on that. I think I'm 60/40 Let Him Go (tl;dr warning)...
Spoiler
Keep Him:

+ You look at how long Brees and Brady have maintained a high level of play, Rodgers has comparable IQ and has way more arm strength to spare than those two did.

+ Relatedly, when the QB moves from winning on physical talent to winning on experience, knowledge, craftsmanship, that can really be a treat to watch (and yield some sweet returns, as Brady and Manning proved).

+ We are a sure-fire playoff team with him. We will probably get back to the NFCCG at least once or twice, and despite how poorly he has historically played there, somehow I have faith that he will buck the trend one of these days.

+ I want Rodgers to win another SuperBowl -AND- I want it to be with this team.

Let Go:

> Important as QB is, it's still a team game, and A LOT of our young stars (Jaire, Jenkins, Savage, Tonyan) and guys who could conceivably take a big next step (Gary, MVS) will hit the market in the next couple years. That's to say, we will likely have to decide between having lots of young talent around the roster, or a great QB with half the young talent.

> In terms of SuperBowl W's, the aging star QB has generally not been worth the investment. TB12 is the notable exception, but even that was with him taking far less than his market value (Pats) -OR- walking into a situation where a team has built an awesome roster save only for the QB spot (Bucs) much like Manning with the Broncos.

> A big part of what made Rodgers special was his legs and escape ability, neither part of his game will age well. At some level, it justified his risk-aversion and propensity to take sacks. He has been reinventing himself a bit under LaFleur lately, but old habits die hard.

> Again, if he was behind the leaks... relationships are built on trust, and he has damaged it. Diva though he can be at times, I seriously did not believe he of all people would make us relive the Favre saga.

> We know what we have in Rodgers; Love is an unknown. That said, Love is a great physical talent on a team with great pieces on offense and is being molded by an O-minded coach who runs a QB-friendly system. So: retain all the young talent on this roster long-term and get 3-4 years of Love giving us (*fingers crossed*) good QB play, re-sign him on a QB deal that does not break the bank... that team has a shot to dominate for a while.

> I have to come to terms with the fact that Aaron's NFCCGs are Brett's playoff INTs. A big part of the reason I hated the Love pick was because Rodgers was not the thing holding an otherwise-strong the team back ala Favre, but now I am not so sure. Rodgers takes up a big chunk of the 'cap, which is fine if he delivers when we need it most, but our success with him has seemed to hit a wall.
As a fan, I want nothing more than for Rodgers to win another SuperBowl with *this* team. Like, I would ship Love out of town for it to happen... BUT, there is a pretty persuasive argument to make that this team's best shot at championships is actually with Love, not Rodgers.
I agree. Not this season but every season after this season. (Love + https://www.nfl.com/prospects/pat-surta ... 84fc0a886b + salary cap savings) > Rodgers

Or how about this kid? https://www.nfl.com/prospects/penei-sew ... 9633263ceb

There are also teams that chose 1st round picks that are not a good fit for the Packers but who chose players in the 2nd and 3rd round who would fit nicely.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
Only if you believe the rookie contract myth, which is a ridiculously untrue narrative

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 May 2021 07:08
Labrev wrote:
Only if you believe the rookie contract myth, which is a ridiculously untrue narrative
Not really. It's about the belief that a decade plus with Love gives more opportunity than 1-3 years of Rodgers, especially since, before this all went down, most chastised the Packers offseason as "not doing enough to win this season". Me, personally, I believe this team, with Rodgers, can win the Super Bowl this year. Others seem to think the roster isn't talented enough. Does that include Aaron Rodgers?

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2021 08:19
YoHoChecko wrote:
Labrev wrote:
Not really. It's about the belief that a decade plus with Love gives more opportunity than 1-3 years of Rodgers, especially since, before this all went down, most chastised the Packers offseason as "not doing enough to win this season". Me, personally, I believe this team, with Rodgers, can win the Super Bowl this year. Others seem to think the roster isn't talented enough. Does that include Aaron Rodgers?
Might be time to start another thread on that topic. Seems crazy how close we were, but maybe 12 has given up the dream that he can lead the GBP to the title.

The schedule does seem pretty brutal next year, and the 17th game that was added being the Chiefs doesnt help...but I dont know how going to the Broncos and playing in division with the Chiefs will help his cause.

Anyways, back to the discussion at hand...This story has gotten weirder and weirder, and really can only be cleared up by Rodgers himself. You got Leroy Butler, Kuhn, and James Jones all saying its 100% fixable and he just wants assurances he can retire there, then you got everybody else who knows how Rodgers is saying if there is a grudge there...he will take his ball and go home. He really needs to step up to a mic and just clear the air with how he feels so everyone can deal in facts.

I would fully gurantee his current deal and thats about it. Maybe add the no trade clause. Beyond that, he needs to just come in and honor his current deal.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2021 08:19
YoHoChecko wrote:
Labrev wrote:
only 43% of first round QB's play well enough for a 2nd contract from the team that drafted them, so I don't know how or why the Packers would think Love is the exception

and this team was very close to complete ( as though any team really is) last year, and our picks this fortify it even more

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 10:02
only 43% of first round QB's play well enough for a 2nd contract from the team that drafted them
So, almost 1 out of 2? Those are not exactly terrible odds.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

NCF wrote:
07 May 2021 10:09
Yoop wrote:
only 43% of first round QB's play well enough for a 2nd contract from the team that drafted them
And I'd say those odds have been historically skewed by desperate teams throwing these QB's out on the field too early.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
The odds get even worse when you think of it in just the rookie pay scale era and add in the Carrs, Wentz, Goffs, and Flaccos on the world. The guys good enough to be scared to let them walk but not good enough to win you anything meaningful.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

For me, non starters are: We are not trading away Love, We are not firing anyone in the FO, and we are not structuring a deal that lets Rodgers have all control on how long he plays. For an athlete that competitive, they almost always walk away too late than at the right time.

Willing to restructure to guarantee him 2021 and 2022 but after that, if he's still great he can stay as long as he's great. If he starts regressing and love becomes the better QB, then the FO has to do what's best for the Packers. Maybe throw in a trade approval clause as well to let AR save some face.

I do think that Love is looking good, otherwise I don't think Rodgers would be nearly as concerned as he is. Every player should always be expecting some young buck trying to knock them off their perch someday. It's probably what helped kick Rodgers ass into MVP form.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
07 May 2021 10:10
NCF wrote:
Yoop wrote:
And I'd say those odds have been historically skewed by desperate teams throwing these QB's out on the field too early.
top 10 drafted QB's rate at 67 % if my memory is accurate, and I'd expect about 20% don't start over half of the 2nd contract, and only 25 % (spiffing here) of those top 10ers ever become a top 10 QB during there playing career

It's not considered the highest bust rate position though, and I think the reason for that has to do with many become career backups, so it's hard to call them a total bust.

course we ALL know this stuff, right? we see GM's each year mortgage there left testicle to move up for them again, and again, year after year hoping they beat the odds, because not to have one makes it almost impossible to win consistently enough to get a invite to the party.

come on back Aaron, I luv you :rotf:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

who here (barring un fore seen injury) doesn't think Rodgers can play near or as well as he did last year through out his existing contract?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 11:08
who here (barring un fore seen injury) doesn't think Rodgers can play near or as well as he did last year through out his existing contract?
I would be surprised if the ship sails as smooth as it did last year because it's really hard to keep a ship moving at a high level. Regression to the mean is the expectation. There was regression in 2012 after 2011. There was significant regression in 2015 after 2014.

Add in that road games will likely be far more challenging this year, we have a new center which leads to less free plays (it cannot be stated how important free plays are to a more risk averse QB)....the Packers defense and run game will need to pick up the slack in 2021.

My goal is 12-5 even with Rodgers at the helm. We play the NFC West and the Chiefs.

Our major saving grace is our 1st place schedule in the NFC is actually likely easier as it is against Washington and New Orleans.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 May 2021 11:20
Yoop wrote:
I would be surprised if the ship sails as smooth as it did last year because it's really hard to keep a ship moving at a high level. Regression to the mean is the expectation. There was regression in 2012 after 2011. There was significant regression in 2015 after 2014.

Add in that road games will likely be far more challenging this year, we have a new center which leads to less free plays (it cannot be stated how important free plays are to a more risk averse QB)....the Packers defense and run game will need to pick up the slack in 2021.

My goal is 12-5 even with Rodgers at the helm. We play the NFC West and the Chiefs.

Our major saving grace is our 1st place schedule in the NFC is actually likely easier as it is against Washington and New Orleans.
could be, but imo on paper this is a better roster this year then last, we will also have off season in person work outs and training camp. but that was not my question as I was speaking only about the bad boy QB named Aaron Rodgers :lol:

I don't see much of a drop off for him in the next 3 seasons, specially in this more QB friendly offense, as someone mentioned what Rodgers losses in physical ability is made up for with experience, and Lafluers schemes are a perfect fit for a aging QB

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 11:26
go pak go wrote:
07 May 2021 11:20
Yoop wrote:

could be, but imo on paper this is a better roster this year then last, we will also have off season in person work outs and training camp. but that was not my question as I was speaking only about the bad boy QB named Aaron Rodgers :lol:

I don't see much of a drop off for him in the next 3 seasons, specially in this more QB friendly offense, as someone mentioned what Rodgers losses in physical ability is made up for with experience, and Lafluers schemes are a perfect fit for a aging QB
Yeah. I know I am more of a downer fan than I used to be (I was a really big homer for the first half of the decade) but that is because we all had huge expectations in the spring of 2015 and even had pretty large expectations of the offense in the spring of 2017.

If someone would have told me how our offense would go for the next 5 years after seeing them absolutely dominate everyone during the 2014 season...I wouldn't have believed them.

But they were right. It's just sort of re-shaped my mindset and expectations. It's hard to stay on top.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
I told all the clown shoes wearing scrubs last offseason that this entire offense would make a leap. It’s a new system and with that comes some sloppiness and unfamiliarity. Low and behold the offense was great last year.

Now another year of experience, possibly a more normal camp for the offense, and two heavily invested drafts on that side of the ball. Devin Funchess possibly added into the fold at WR (I would hold my breath on that turd though).

Yeah I think the offense is going to pick up right where it left off.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 May 2021 11:44
Yoop wrote:
I told all the clown shoes wearing scrubs last offseason that this entire offense would make a leap. It’s a new system and with that comes some sloppiness and unfamiliarity. Low and behold the offense was great last year.

Now another year of experience, possibly a more normal camp for the offense, and two heavily invested drafts on that side of the ball. Devin Funchess possibly added into the fold at WR (I would hold my breath on that turd though).

Yeah I think the offense is going to pick up right where it left off.
I will say that I absolutely think so. But, I don't know so. I am way more confident in Year 1 than in Year 3. As such, I prefer to keep the flexibility open.

Read More. Post Less.