Rodgers Reconciliation Solution Thread

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
07 May 2021 17:43
Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 17:22
we didn't do it with Favre
Huh.

for basically no different then a comp pick, the only thing we got there was the ability to trade him out of the division

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I don't get the big deal of trading NFL players. They are still getting paid.

I have had to move to 3 cities in 6 years due to professional reasons. It's not that big of a deal. Especially when it's to people who are so loaded they have choices.

But the Packers gave Favre two choices of trade offers on the table.

1. Tampa Bay
2. New York Jets

Favre said he wanted to be traded to the Bucs. So Thompson sent him to New York. :rotf:

But honestly there is a LOT of emphasis of your hand wringing theory of the Packers not bending on absolutely trading Rodgers in 2023 when that is 2 years away and it hasn't or wasn't rumored to happened simply due to time. A lot can can happen in two years.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
07 May 2021 16:16
Yoop wrote:
07 May 2021 13:01

who knows, trade compensation is huge as I said prior, also it has become personal now and you know how stubborn people can be, I still think the FO wants to be able to trade him as soon as there comfortable starting Love, no where have I heard that the FO is willing to do the no trade thing, that still seems to be whats holding this up
I mean, duh, why wouldn’t you want to max out Rodgers’ value if they felt Love was ready to roll and had the talent to lead them to the promised land? Trade Rodgers, get a draft pick haul, roll with your low cost 1st contract QB while resigning the high end talent you’ve acquired and/or developed the past few years, then add those high end picks to the roster going forward to make the roster even better. Why wouldn’t you take that road if the org was confident Love was a player??

If anything, that’s just high end GM work! That’s looking out for the short AND long term outlook of the team! Isn’t that what you’d expect Gute to be doing??
no, because I don't think Love will ever be better then Rodgers prior to the end of the 23 season, and if he is then cut Rodgers, high end GM work is not screwing over a 16 yr player for draft compensation, honor the contract, he is

I don't think of this as a CEO of some co. or players like commodity's, we gave him a 4 year contract and if he is still the best player to start then he should be allowed to finish it and just leave.

thats the fair way this should end, why should a team get to use a player till his replacement is ready ( but still not as good) then trade the guy for draft capitol even though he is still the best player.

I've never bought into this stuff, teams want players to honor the contracts, yet they want to replace them a year prior to recoup compensation they paid the player in the prior contract, which is what they are doing when they recoup draft picks and players in the trade, teams need to let players finish contracts and walk or write shorter contracts,

I can't believe the players union even puts up with this, same with the removal of the one year retirement and freedom the players caved into, course I can understand that a little better, since one year goes by quick and to many players would break there contracts, sit and go, but this use em then trade em for as much as possible to me not fair to these players, we didn't do it with Favre, NE didn't do it with Brady, and we shouldn't do it with Rodgers.
First off, it doesn’t matter whether you think Love is better than Rodgers or not. I said if they, as in team officials, think Love is ready, then move forward. What we as fans think as to who the better player is is irrelevant and often times misinformed.

Second, and more important, Love doesn’t need to be better than Rodgers. It’s simply a matter of the TEAM being better. Say you get competent play out of Love, keep ALL your core elite players coming up on contracts with the money saved from moving Rodgers post-June 1, and then add in the top tier additional draft picks from dealing Rodgers to the already playoff caliber roster and I think you make a very strong argument for improving the TEAM.

The rest of your post was basically wishing things weren’t the way they are. You’re complaining because the team is not inclined to kiss Rodgers’ butt and let him, the employee, dictate terms of his employment with his bosses. It just doesn’t work that way, and it’s by agreed upon design by both the players and ownership. Trades are part of the agreed upon CBA union contract. It’s not in any sense breaking a contract when a player gets traded. His contract is still very much valid. Why you keep going back to that is kinda odd...?

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Whoever did this is hilarious.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
07 May 2021 22:13
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:
07 May 2021 16:16

I mean, duh, why wouldn’t you want to max out Rodgers’ value if they felt Love was ready to roll and had the talent to lead them to the promised land? Trade Rodgers, get a draft pick haul, roll with your low cost 1st contract QB while resigning the high end talent you’ve acquired and/or developed the past few years, then add those high end picks to the roster going forward to make the roster even better. Why wouldn’t you take that road if the org was confident Love was a player??

If anything, that’s just high end GM work! That’s looking out for the short AND long term outlook of the team! Isn’t that what you’d expect Gute to be doing??
no, because I don't think Love will ever be better then Rodgers prior to the end of the 23 season, and if he is then cut Rodgers, high end GM work is not screwing over a 16 yr player for draft compensation, honor the contract, he is

I don't think of this as a CEO of some co. or players like commodity's, we gave him a 4 year contract and if he is still the best player to start then he should be allowed to finish it and just leave.

thats the fair way this should end, why should a team get to use a player till his replacement is ready ( but still not as good) then trade the guy for draft capitol even though he is still the best player.

I've never bought into this stuff, teams want players to honor the contracts, yet they want to replace them a year prior to recoup compensation they paid the player in the prior contract, which is what they are doing when they recoup draft picks and players in the trade, teams need to let players finish contracts and walk or write shorter contracts,

I can't believe the players union even puts up with this, same with the removal of the one year retirement and freedom the players caved into, course I can understand that a little better, since one year goes by quick and to many players would break there contracts, sit and go, but this use em then trade em for as much as possible to me not fair to these players, we didn't do it with Favre, NE didn't do it with Brady, and we shouldn't do it with Rodgers.
First off, it doesn’t matter whether you think Love is better than Rodgers or not. I said if they, as in team officials, think Love is ready, then move forward. What we as fans think as to who the better player is is irrelevant and often times misinformed.

Second, and more important, Love doesn’t need to be better than Rodgers. It’s simply a matter of the TEAM being better. Say you get competent play out of Love, keep ALL your core elite players coming up on contracts with the money saved from moving Rodgers post-June 1, and then add in the top tier additional draft picks from dealing Rodgers to the already playoff caliber roster and I think you make a very strong argument for improving the TEAM.

The rest of your post was basically wishing things weren’t the way they are. You’re complaining because the team is not inclined to kiss Rodgers’ butt and let him, the employee, dictate terms of his employment with his bosses. It just doesn’t work that way, and it’s by agreed upon design by both the players and ownership. Trades are part of the agreed upon CBA union contract. It’s not in any sense breaking a contract when a player gets traded. His contract is still very much valid. Why you keep going back to that is kinda odd...?
when people enter agreements, sign contracts, it's with the understanding that it's to protect both party's, not so that one has power over the other to do whatever they want, like trade you half way through it, if a player doesn't have faith that a team will honor it then this is the situation ya end up in, and we see players just like Rodgers fed up with it, agreed upon by who? not by players like Rodgers, and not by players in other sports either, why have contracts if teams wont honor them.

obviously if a player declines mid contract thats another matter, but thats not the case here, and this is not a normal situation either, Rodgers has 16 years here, and is not in decline, we didn't show Favre the door early, he opened it, we where fine with him finishing as a Packer, even though Rodgers was ready, and thats how we should play it with Rodgers.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
08 May 2021 00:51

when people enter agreements, sign contracts, it's with the understanding that it's to protect both party's, not so that one has power over the other to do whatever they want, like trade you half way through it, if a player doesn't have faith that a team will honor it then this is the situation ya end up in, and we see players just like Rodgers fed up with it, agreed upon by who? not by players like Rodgers, and not by players in other sports either, why have contracts if teams wont honor them.

obviously if a player declines mid contract thats another matter, but thats not the case here, and this is not a normal situation either, Rodgers has 16 years here, and is not in decline, we didn't show Favre the door early, he opened it, we where fine with him finishing as a Packer, even though Rodgers was ready, and thats how we should play it with Rodgers.
Oh yes he is in decline. You just didn't see it because of Aaron Jones and Robert Tonyan and the maturation of Lazard and a very good oline (until Bak got hurt). The Packers O, with or without Rodgers, was the best O in the league- until Bak got hurt which was not only the loss of a top 3 OT but doubly bad because there was no competent swing tackle to replace him.

And if that is not enough, just look at AR! We rarely see the swagger. The exceptional mobility is gone, the Rodgers of 5 years ago would have easily run the ball in for a TD and did the belt thing. Look at his shoulders, he is developing a hunchback, he sags. There is a photo I saw a few days ago of him coming out of the tunnel with Tim Boyle. It is sad to see the contrast. Boyle looks young and confident and strong. Rodgers looks old and small. Or watch video of him with MLF. MLF looks full of energy and life, AR just looks old. Go back and watch video of AR in his first 5 years as a starter. Do you see the energy in the huddle? Do you see that same energy the last 2 or 3 years? Neither do his teammates. That was something Favre had his whole career, even if he didn't feel it, his teammates needed it so he gave them that energy. Now who are the emotional leaders of the O? Jones and Bak.

I posted a couple of highlight videos, watch them. See how many times Tonyan had to make a difficult catch even though he was wide open. Why did Rodgers almost miss him and take away a sure TD? Its true in the Dillon and Jones videos also, how can a competent QB not get the ball to his RB in stride on a 5 yard pass?

This is not to say that AR cannot suck it up on game day and play well, he can - most of the time. He usually did last season. Maybe he will this season too, but IMO it will be less frequent. The sag will be more apparent. The window is still open but it is rapidly closing, Rodgers is in decline and that decline will soon be exponential. This is his last season as a top QB. After this season Father Time claims victory.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If you didn't see the swagger last year Skeptic then you had your eyes closed, and prior to last year there where extenuating circumstances that held him back, such as new scheme, and young inexperienced impact offensive players, people are pulling crap out of thin air now, just maybe if he had had slot receiver he wouldn't have to run for a TD, and it's debatable that Rodgers even a younger Rodgers would have beaten the lber to the EZ, the guy already had the angle and speed to take Rodgers down before he reached it.

he played lights out last year, thats why he was made MVP a 3rd time, in fact some say it was his best season ever

and your making up anything that comes to mind now with McCarthy, Mac should have been fired back in 016, same with Ted, Capers at the same time, same with the ST's coach, a complete GM and coaching staff redo was needed, we strung it out over 3 years, but lets blame Rodgers for that too.

people here are so quick to get rid of Rodgers and you have no idea what the future holds when he's gone, just dump him because he didn't agree with his arrogant GM who seems to want to use him to tutor up his replacement and then trade him for draft capitol.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

USA TODAY Sports
Opinion: Aaron Rodgers' fractured relationship with Packers leaves slimmest of hope for repair
Mike Jones, USA TODAY
Fri, May 7, 2021, 9:56 AM
Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers shouldn't be here.

The 16-year marriage between one of the most storied franchises and greatest quarterbacks in NFL history shouldn’t have reached the point where it dangles by a thread just months after Rodgers earned MVP honors for a third time.

But here they are: Rodgers unhappy and wanting out, per multiple reports, and the Packers as a result teetering, with general manager Brian Gutekunst in danger of committing one of the most egregious displays of mismanagement in sports since Jerry Krause broke up Michael Jordan’s Chicago Bulls.

All good things come to an end. Few legendary sports figures manage to spend their entire careers with one team. But a bitter end is completely unnecessary here. Packers officials could have completely avoided this drama by applying one of the most basic tenets of relationship building and maintenance.

Communication.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/opinion-aa ... 55748.html

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I just hope Rodgers thinks clearly about his situation and understands his bet outcome is to play for the Packers in 2021 and 2022. If the Packers want him to trade him in 2023....who cares?

1. You're rich and don't call any city your home. You have multiple homes. You have literally made more money in the last 10 years than multiple TOWNS generate in revenue. Even GB is only your home part time. You have to at max live in that city for 5 months if you want.

2. By 2023, you have one year left on your contract which means you are a free man regardless after just one more year.

3. By 2023, the Packers HAVE to trade you to a team you want to play for. Why? No team is going to give up multiple draft picks capital to trade for you when you can ultimately say...I've played in the league for 18 years. I'm 39 years old and I'm just going to retire rather than play for the Jets. This means Aaron Rodgers has a LOT of power on who the Packers can actually trade him to.

The only difference about trying to do any strong arming now compared to just biding your time is you are risking being taken away from your best shot at a ring for sure in 2021 and possibly in 2022.

At some point I hope he realizes that and this thing gets resolved. The more I think about it, the less I am willing to bend much for Rodgers if I am the Packers.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 May 2021 10:02
I just hope Rodgers thinks clearly about his situation and understands his bet outcome is to play for the Packers in 2021 and 2022. If the Packers want him to trade him in 2023....who cares?

1. You're rich and don't call any city your home. You have multiple homes. You have literally made more money in the last 10 years than multiple TOWNS generate in revenue. Even GB is only your home part time. You have to at max live in that city for 5 months if you want.

2. By 2023, you have one year left on your contract which means you are a free man regardless after just one more year.

3. By 2023, the Packers HAVE to trade you to a team you want to play for. Why? No team is going to give up multiple draft picks capital to trade for you when you can ultimately say...I've played in the league for 18 years. I'm 39 years old and I'm just going to retire rather than play for the Jets. This means Aaron Rodgers has a LOT of power on who the Packers can actually trade him to.

The only difference about trying to do any strong arming now compared to just biding your time is you are risking being taken away from your best shot at a ring for sure in 2021 and possibly in 2022.

At some point I hope he realizes that and this thing gets resolved. The more I think about it, the less I am willing to bend much for Rodgers if I am the Packers.
he's not dumb, he knows the team is the best it's been in many years, and his best chance for a ring this coming season is here, the beyond part is the stickler, he does not trust Guty when it comes to 2022 or 23, and he wants control of where he is going should Guty decide to trade him prior to the end of the contract, if he stays and we lose another playoff game, and the team decides to switch with Love, he doesn't want to go to some bottom feeder where he has little chance to even make the playoffs let alone a SB ring. that's obvious.

if something isn't resolved he seems content to sit, in that case we'd be best off to trade him after June one, get a vet QB to help till Love is ready, and garner draft picks and players, Denver seems a good trade partner

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 May 2021 10:36
go pak go wrote:

he's not dumb, he knows the team is the best it's been in many years, and his best chance for a ring this coming season is here, the beyond part is the stickler, he does not trust Guty when it comes to 2022 or 23, and he wants control of where he is going should Guty decide to trade him prior to the end of the contract, if he stays and we lose another playoff game, and the team decides to switch with Love, he doesn't want to go to some bottom feeder where he has little chance to even make the playoffs let alone a SB ring. that's obvious.

if something isn't resolved he seems content to sit, in that case we'd be best off to trade him after June one, get a vet QB to help till Love is ready, and garner draft picks and players, Denver seems a good trade partner
Again. Just read my point #3.

He has plenty of power if\when the Packers try and trade him. He won't go to a bottom feeder unless he signs off on it.

This will get resolved once he realizes GB is his best shot for 21 and he actually holds a lot of power of where he would be traded if/when that happens.
Yoop wrote:

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

go pak go wrote:
08 May 2021 10:50
Yoop wrote:
08 May 2021 10:36
go pak go wrote:

Again. Just read my point #3.

He has plenty of power if\when the Packers try and trade him. He won't go to a bottom feeder unless he signs off on it.

This will get resolved once he realizes GB is his best shot for 21 and he actually holds a lot of power of where he would be traded if/when that happens.
Would seem like the easy answer is to add a trade approval clause to his contract. The best way for him to play for GB in 2022 and beyond is to continue playing at a top level. As long as he does, it seems unlikley the Packers would move on. If he wants a guarantee that the Packers will keep him on if he declines, that seems unreasonable.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

The only thing I know is this. I never want to see him in a Vikings uniform. Ever. Other than that, I don't care where he goes.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Raptorman wrote:
08 May 2021 18:17
The only thing I know is this. I never want to see him in a Vikings uniform. Ever. Other than that, I don't care where he goes.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
08 May 2021 18:29
Raptorman wrote:
Why not? He could choke in the NFCCG like Favre did versus the Saints. Only this time versus the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. PUT 'ER IN THE OLE VICE !! ;)

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

Yoop wrote:
08 May 2021 08:39
USA TODAY Sports
Opinion: Aaron Rodgers' fractured relationship with Packers leaves slimmest of hope for repair
Mike Jones, USA TODAY
Fri, May 7, 2021, 9:56 AM
Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers shouldn't be here.

The 16-year marriage between one of the most storied franchises and greatest quarterbacks in NFL history shouldn’t have reached the point where it dangles by a thread just months after Rodgers earned MVP honors for a third time.

But here they are: Rodgers unhappy and wanting out, per multiple reports, and the Packers as a result teetering, with general manager Brian Gutekunst in danger of committing one of the most egregious displays of mismanagement in sports since Jerry Krause broke up Michael Jordan’s Chicago Bulls.

All good things come to an end. Few legendary sports figures manage to spend their entire careers with one team. But a bitter end is completely unnecessary here. Packers officials could have completely avoided this drama by applying one of the most basic tenets of relationship building and maintenance.

Communication.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/opinion-aa ... 55748.html
If Gutenkunst made a mistake a year ago by not making a phone call, that's a shame. If Rodgers is sulking about that non-phone call to the extent that one year later he wants the GM sacked, then that's mental. I can't see how that position can be reconciled.

What does it matter of the QB doesn't like the GM? Surely the answer is for the QB not to throw the GM any passes. Not to call for him to be fired.

On the other hand, if this situation is all about Rodgers being frightened that in the future someone else might be better than him, that's unreasonable too. It happens to everyone. No-one can have the right to damage the team by at best playing ahead of a superior backup, at worst by driving that backup out of town to succeed for someone else. Rodgers is a player. No more than that. If he wants to overrule the GM, then that's another position that can't be reconciled either, except by Rodgers accepting that he is not the boss.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Raptorman wrote:
SureJan.gif

I don’t want Harrison Smith or....... who is another good Viking... drawing a blank here... Chris Doleman??

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
08 May 2021 20:09
Raptorman wrote:
SureJan.gif

I don’t want Harrison Smith or....... who is another good Viking... drawing a blank here... Chris Doleman??
Oh come on! Justin Jefferson! It's not like you haven't read his name in every thread the past 6 months!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
SureJan.gif

You are probably thinking of Kendricks (LB).

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
SureJan.gif

Why would I want another washed up Packer QB on my team?

Just bring more useless hope to my Viking brethern.