Rookie Camp

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

There were essentially no road games last year. It was an incredible advantage for AR given his cadence and ability to draw OSs penalties.

What that means for 2021, who knows.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BSA wrote:
18 May 2021 18:54
Yoop wrote:
18 May 2021 17:11
should make the offense more potent.
How will we know its more potent ?
The 2020 Packers scored more points than any other team last year
The 2020 Packers scored more points on the road than every other NFL team scored at home

Its true, you can look it up... :)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game
I can think of 17 teams who scored more points. My memory can't name any right now but I'm sure I'm about right.

LOOK IT UP.

:rotf: :rotf:
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
18 May 2021 19:46
BSA wrote:
Yoop wrote:
The 2020 Packers scored more points on the road than every other NFL team scored at home

I can think of 17 teams who scored more points. My memory can't name any right now but I'm sure I'm about right.

LOOK IT UP.

Well, 17 teams who were projected to score more points and that’s what is important...

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
18 May 2021 19:46
BSA wrote:
Yoop wrote:

LOOK IT UP.

Now that's funny!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

whats funny is that Packer fans are willing to accept status quo, over and over and over , we are accustomed to losing the big games, and we have a ton of excuses which of course starts with "if only our QB had played better" " if only this" "if only that"

that projection based on the players we had in 019 for the 2020 season was spot on, there where only a handful of teams with a worse depth chart at WR then us, I didn't bother to dig back farther, but I'am sure it would be about the same had I done so, anyway not much changed for 2020, cept Tonyan, we all noticed the POTENCY he brought to the TE room, and we all will notice Amari Rodgers if he is as good as Cobb claims, just because we had the #1 offense doesn't mean there isn't room to improve

26. GREEN BAY PACKERS
The consensus biggest need for the Packers heading into this offseason was another threat at wide receiver to take some of the burden off Davante Adams, and their marquee acquisition to solve that problem was … Devin Funchess. Funchess has been a solid option in the passing game as a possession receiver, earning overall grades between 64.4 and 74.7 in his four seasons of NFL action. However, the Packers still lack dynamic playmakers behind Adams on the depth chart. They’re relying heavily on young guys like Allen Lazard (69.6 overall grade in 2019) and Jace Sternberger (99 snaps in 2019 due to injury) to take big steps next season.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
19 May 2021 07:30
whats funny is that Packer fans are willing to accept status quo, over and over and over , we are accustomed to losing the big games, and we have a ton of excuses which of course starts with "if only our QB had played better" " if only this" "if only that"

that projection based on the players we had in 019 for the 2020 season was spot on, there where only a handful of teams with a worse depth chart at WR then us, I didn't bother to dig back farther, but I'am sure it would be about the same had I done so, anyway not much changed for 2020, cept Tonyan, we all noticed the POTENCY he brought to the TE room, and we all will notice Amari Rodgers if he is as good as Cobb claims, just because we had the #1 offense doesn't mean there isn't room to improve

26. GREEN BAY PACKERS
The consensus biggest need for the Packers heading into this offseason was another threat at wide receiver to take some of the burden off Davante Adams, and their marquee acquisition to solve that problem was … Devin Funchess. Funchess has been a solid option in the passing game as a possession receiver, earning overall grades between 64.4 and 74.7 in his four seasons of NFL action. However, the Packers still lack dynamic playmakers behind Adams on the depth chart. They’re relying heavily on young guys like Allen Lazard (69.6 overall grade in 2019) and Jace Sternberger (99 snaps in 2019 due to injury) to take big steps next season.
Considering 60 is average I dont see anything wrong with having 2 guys in the 70s as potential #2s.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
whats funny is that Packer fans are willing to accept status quo, over and over and over...
I have two words for you: Dom Capers. :messedup:

And again, nobody gives a rip about preseason projection rankings. The thing that matters is actual performance - which was quite good as a receiver group.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
I know. What a CRAZY idea right?

We would have won if our players played better. But no that CAN'T be it because it CAN'T for sure be ONE of the player's fault. It has to be the other 51 players. So let's focus all blame on a cherry picked position - the #2 WR. :roll:

Let's look at Tom Brady's #2 WR's through his SB Years:

2001 - David Patten
2003 - Troy Brown (old. like really old)
2004 - David Givens
2014 - Brandon LaFell
2016 - Chris Hogan
2018 - Josh Gordon - SUSPENDED AFTER WEEK 15
2020 - Chris Godwin (He finally had a good #2 who made the miracle play)

So before Chris Godwin, Tom Brady's best #2 WR was Brandon LaFell. Tom Brady engineered a comeback being down 28 to 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter with not much to play with. Did Brady have Gronk? Absolutely. But also keep in mind Gronk was injured 70% of the time. Meanwhile, AR12 has significantly more star power at the RB position than Tom Brady has ever had in his career.

I'm not going to argue the Packers could improve at the #2 WR spot. We are likely average at the #2 spot (in that 15th to 17th range). We are competent there but could absolutely improve.

But when I read stuff like
That's what gets old. Because I could use that same argument towards you just flip the FO argument to our QB who is entering the persona of being a perennial loser and choker.

Yes it sucks the Packers keep losing in the NFC Title Game. But to get so fixated on "if we had a better #2 WR everything would be better" is insane. I could say that for literally any position. I bet with a better RB1 we would have had a better shot. Or a better ILB, DT, LT, TE, QB, CB. Literally any of them. It's why the FO is so easy to blame because they are ultimately responsible for every position, but at some point you have step back and be like, "does this make sense?" And the fact is it doesn't make sense to blame a FO for not getting a better #2 WR when a myriad of other reasons led to losing that game.

The Players, coaches and injury are why the 2020 Packers didn't win that game. When plays were there....they didn't make them. It's not excuses. It's the flipping reason. The excuse is instead protecting the one player by saying "if only he had X" he would have done better

And yes. Holier than thou Aaron Rodgers, when the game was on the line, had a potential running lane to the EZ on his last play but instead threw the ball in the dirt. You can make all the excuses of "he was thinking this or that...." but I could say that about BG too in his personnel decisions. The fact is on his last play, when it was all on the line, instead of doing a cool Elway torpedo move, he instead threw the ball in the dirt.
Last edited by go pak go on 19 May 2021 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
just because we had the #1 offense doesn't mean there isn't room to improve
Doesn't adding Amari Rodgers mean we are looking to improve? I stated it a ton and even though not many agreed with me, I really thought Devin Funchess was going to add a lot to our offense last year. You can't blame the GM for not seeing everything that COVID was going to bring. Didn't adding Funchess suggest they were looking to improve?

Just because they didn't make the moves you wanted doesn't mean they are OK with the status quo. I, too, question the long-term plan at WR because the cupboard is looking pretty bare next year, especially if they do not re-sign Adams, but we have seen Gute plug glaring holes far more aggressively that TT ever did. I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt until I see this thing fail and say yep, it's the WR's fault because up until now, it surely hasn't been.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
19 May 2021 08:21
Yoop wrote:
just because we had the #1 offense doesn't mean there isn't room to improve
Doesn't adding Amari Rodgers mean we are looking to improve? I stated it a ton and even though not many agreed with me, I really thought Devin Funchess was going to add a lot to our offense last year. You can't blame the GM for not seeing everything that COVID was going to bring. Didn't adding Funchess suggest they were looking to improve?

Just because they didn't make the moves you wanted doesn't mean they are OK with the status quo. I, too, question the long-term plan at WR because the cupboard is looking pretty bare next year, especially if they do not re-sign Adams, but we have seen Gute plug glaring holes far more aggressively that TT ever did. I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt until I see this thing fail and say yep, it's the WR's fault because up until now, it surely hasn't been.
I mentioned that Amari Rodgers would add POTENCY to the offense, and people thought that was funny and hardly needed because our WR room was soooooo good.

this WR room has been a &%$@ show for years and minus Rodgers we would have been no better then a 500 team, sure we added a player in Funchess, but he had been injured for the prior two seasons, adding him to the rest of the inconsistent group wasn't a big plus to me, then on top of it he sits out the season, sure MVS improved but imo mostly due to experience in Lafluers schemes just as every other player probably did, Tonyan had a break out season as a result of some of that to
your right, they didn't do what I wanted them to do, and didn't do what most football people expected them to do either.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

It’s gotta be a schtick from some guy in Wisconsin who gets a kick out of trolling packers fans from his mom’s basement. He is owning everyone who responds to him because he gets to take you further down the rabbit hole. No one is this dense in real life.

That’s the ONLY explanation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Good video recapping the Rookie Minicamp.

Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
19 May 2021 08:20
So before Chris Godwin, Tom Brady's best #2 WR was Brandon LaFell. Tom Brady engineered a comeback being down 28 to 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter with not much to play with. Did Brady have Gronk? Absolutely. But also keep in mind Gronk was injured 70% of the time. Meanwhile, AR12 has significantly more star power at the RB position than Tom Brady has ever had in his career.
what about the slot receiver who had a 1000 yrds, or the TE that went to jail, and Gronk was not injured all the time, and NE's offense had been doing this type of short west coast offense for years which schemes for RB's any old RB to do well.

and why do people think Rodgers could have ran it in from the 8? the lber was already heading towards him and would in all probability have caught him before he scored, he does after all have sub 4.5 speed

so lets wrap this up, we are missing our #1 RB, our #1 WR was mugged for 60 minutes, 9 catches on 11 targets, for about 65 no yak yards, the others where inconsistent as usual with the best being MVS who had what his best game ever for a buck something, yet we don't need any more offensive impact players, what we needed was for our #1 RB to stay heathy and our #1 WR to catch every pass thrown to him.

this offense has no room for error, how dumb of me not to realize this sooner

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gunzaan wrote:
19 May 2021 09:38
It’s gotta be a schtick from some guy in Wisconsin who gets a kick out of trolling packers fans from his mom’s basement. He is owning everyone who responds to him because he gets to take you further down the rabbit hole. No one is this dense in real life.

That’s the ONLY explanation.
cept people like you

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
19 May 2021 09:34
I mentioned that Amari Rodgers would add POTENCY to the offense, and people thought that was funny and hardly needed because our WR room was soooooo good.
I think everyone would like to see the WR room improve and everyone is excited about the dimension Amari Rodgers can bring because we were missing this skillset at a high level.

The response, though, is that the WR room is good enough to win; it's good enough to be the top offense in the league. Can it be better? Yes. We ALL wish that MVS and Lazard were battling for the #3 spot more so than the #2 spot. We get it.

But the notion that Rodgers makes everyone good and has carried the team and the WRs are dragging everyone down is just objectively proven false by recent history.

In 2017 and 2018, Rodgers was a QB whose immense skill could not overcome the declining talent of his roster and the scheme preferences of his coach. Rodgers' immense talent could not stop the team from missing the playoffs, nor could it muster better than average-to-above-average statistical production.

So the new GM and new coach designed a better scheme, got better offensive linemen, got better TEs, let the new young WRs develop, got better RBs, and the team got better. The team that has been assembled around Rodgers now helped him win MVP. If it were the other way around, Rodgers would have been putting up massive, impressive stats with his prior team.

Rodgers is an immense talent, but his talent alone is not enough to carry a 53-man roster through a football season. And we have PROOF of that. Because we watched it fail. So if you want to talk about the CURRENT team around Rodgers, and blame it for holding him back, you have to ask what was so different between 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020? Why has Rodgers improved so much in that time? Why has his output skyrocketed and his team success literally doubled from 6-7 wins a year to 13-14 wins a year? Because the team around him got better, and because the offensive weapons are good enough for him to thrive.

No one is saying don't fix it. We want to improve everywhere. We're just saying you won't get much better than the #1 offense and the MVP at QB, so if the front office wants to spend resources improving other things first, that's reasonable enough to us.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
19 May 2021 07:58
Yoop wrote:
whats funny is that Packer fans are willing to accept status quo, over and over and over...
I have two words for you: Dom Capers. :messedup:

And again, nobody gives a rip about preseason projection rankings. The thing that matters is actual performance - which was quite good as a receiver group.
obviously not, we just drafted a receiver, why anyone would look at that ranking in 019 and think the receiver group would be a strong group going forward would have to be pining there hopes on Lafluer and Rodgers making it so, minus Tonyan there was very minimal improvement, it took Rodgers playing at his best to move the chains and score.

thats reality, paint it any way you want.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
19 May 2021 09:49
this offense has no room for error, how dumb of me not to realize this sooner
This offense already gave up two turnovers and spotted the Bucs 7 points. 14 points if you want to give some of the blame on the last TD to the offense.

So yeah. When you then pile on other errors like dropped balls in key spots of the field, overthrows, poor reads....they add up.

We are not talking about a perfect offensive game where there is one mistake made that ended it. You don't hear people call out Rodgers's overthrow in the 2009 AZ playoff game to Greg Jennings much for a reason. Because Rodgers was absolutely LIT that game until that missed play.

But in this game, just like the Seahawks game, when your offensive play makers fail multiple times on key plays, they deserve criticism.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
19 May 2021 09:49
go pak go wrote:
19 May 2021 08:20
what about the slot receiver who had a 1000 yrds, or the TE that went to jail, and Gronk was not injured all the time, and NE's offense had been doing this type of short west coast offense for years which schemes for RB's any old RB to do well.
1. Those "slot WRs" would be his #1 WRs in Deon Branch and Julian Edelman. I would take Adams over those guys any day.

2. Hernandez never won a SB with Brady. So that didn't really end up mattering.

3. Your RB argument is literally the same argument we have been making why WR talent isn't as important in the MLF scheme.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
19 May 2021 09:50
odgers is an immense talent, but his talent alone is not enough to carry a 53-man roster through a football season. And we have PROOF of that. Because we watched it fail. So if you want to talk about the CURRENT team around Rodgers, and blame it for holding him back, you have to ask what was so different between 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020? Why has Rodgers improved so much in that time? Why has his output skyrocketed and his team success literally doubled from 6-7 wins a year to 13-14 wins a year? Because the team around him got better, and because the offensive weapons are good enough for him to thrive.

No one is saying don't fix it. We want to improve everywhere. We're just saying you won't get much better than the #1 offense and the MVP at QB, so if the front office wants to spend resources improving other things first, that's reasonable enough to us.
that was my point from the beginning Yoho, we needed more impact on offense during during those years (016, 017 018 and 019) I even brought our WR group ranking compared to other teams of those years, that it was a projection for 2020 doesn't negate what it had been prior, and there was only minimal improvent with this group in 2020, over shadowed mostly with Adams and Tonyans breakout season.

sure people said don't fix it, thats all I've said is we need to fix it and just look at all the post proclaiming I'am a idiot for wanting to do so, obviously opinions get taken out of context, I agree, I think most rational fans would like to see improvement and more consistency, however that hasn't been the case in this thread.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

go pak go wrote:
19 May 2021 09:39
Good video recapping the Rookie Minicamp.

Things they talk about.

1. Amari Rodgers seemed to capture the most attention. He looks like the real deal. Wes just talks about how as a STs player and WR he is in a different room than anyone else. Definitely appears to have faster than 4.5 speed and is built like a tank. Said moves like Tyler Ervin. Looks like Tyler Ervin. Just 30 pounds more muscle than Tyler Ervin.

2. Eric Stokes has serious foot speed.

3. TJ Slayton looks like a MAN. In the same ballpark as looking at Bak or Kenny Clark.
Yoop wrote: