Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
14 May 2021 17:07
The team should've drafted DK Metcalf - his workout footage was some of the best ever.

The team should've drafted Tee Higgins - great game tape and his rookie year backed it up.

The team now only has 1 wr (3rd round rookie) signed beyond this year. It is essentially the most complimentary position to a QB and for the packers it has had the least amount of resources spent on it (inside backer is less if being specific).

The pack have gone with the thought process that Rodgers is good enough to carry any receiver group.
I thought we shouldve taken DK 12th that year. Then we traded up and I thought it had to be for DK and then he lasted till the late 2nd. Some people said I massively over rated him at the time and I guess to an extent that was true considering how long he lasted but looking at him now hes a top 10 receiver going into his 3rd year.

I said then and Ill say it again now. Teams are so afraid of players with a limited game even though what they are good at is great. Its never made any sense to me. Teams hate players that are in a box. DK can get deep and beat any DB in the league with his speed and strength but he isnt going to kill you with technical routes. Who the hell cares how you win if youre still winning?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Just got a Twitter announcement that Rodgers is retiring.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 May 2021 22:38
Cmon, you are better than that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, give me this guy for 2022 and beyond.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
15 May 2021 22:55
Pckfn23 wrote:
Barry McCockiner cannot be trusted as a source

"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
I dunno, there's video out there.
haha.JPG
haha.JPG (28.94 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
I meant that tongue in cheek. Was trying to illustrate how crazy the "news" cycle is.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

:?: :messedup:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
16 May 2021 11:16
:?: :messedup:
I agree.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm just gonna quote myself because this seems important still
YoHoChecko wrote:
05 May 2021 07:45
I want a quick reminder here...

2017:
Rodgers was....
...8th in completion percentage
...17th in yards per attempt
...8th in passer rating
...7th in QBR
...4-3 as a starter
then broke his collar bone
Missed the playoffs
Jordy, Cobb, and Nelson each started at least 14 games that year. Adams was a Pro Bowl Alternate
Robert Tonyan was added to the PS
Gutey replaced TT

2018:
Pre-season, Rodgers signed a 4-year, $134 million extension with 2 years left on his deal by Gutenkunst
Jordy Nelson was released
Jimmy Graham was signed, caught 55 passes (8th among TEs in the league)
Moore, MVS, and EQSB are drafted in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds (Jaire in the first)
Rodgers was....
...26th in completion percentage
...19th in yards per attempt
...13th in QB rating
...17th in QBR
...6-9-1 as a starter
Missed the playoffs
Cobb was injured almost all year long
Adams made the Pro Bowl
Mike McCarthy was fired with 4 games remaining
Charles Robinson reports Rodgers wants more say in management decisions (coaching search)

2019:
MLF is hired; the media narrative is whether Rodgers and MLF can/will coexist (audibles :messedup: )
Cobb and Jimmy Graham depart
Gary and Savage are the first round picks; Jenkins in the second. "Weapons" conversation picks up
Rodgers was....
...21st in completion percentage
...18th in yards per attempt
...12th in QB rating
...20th in QBR
...13-3 as a starter
Lost NFC Championship Game
In late December, Rodgers' contract was restructured to guarantee $14.25 million and spread it over the next 5 years.

2020:
Jordan Love is drafted in round one (no WRs drafted at all)
Devin Funchess is signed, but later opts out
Jake Kumerow is cut in final roster cutdowns
Rodgers was....
...1st in completion percentage
...3rd in yards per attempt
...1st in QB rating
...1st in QBR
...13-3 as a starter
...MVP
Lost in the NFC Championship game
Immediate rumblings that Rodgers is displeased

Come up with any/all the reasons you like. There's truth to most of them.
  • Yes, the quality of WR from Jordy, Cobb, and Adams to Adams, Cobb and Graham to Adams, Jimmy Graham, and rookies was a decline.
  • Yes, MM's scheme relied on superior WR talent to win one-on-one matchups and he didn't adjust when the talent declined
  • Yes, Rodgers wanted MM out and had lost respect for his offensive acumen
  • Maybe that distaste for MM affected Rodgers' play
But these are the facts. Rodgers was playing as a middle of the road QB in 2017 and 2018. I can pull up comparisons to the likes of Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr or Marcus Mariota in that time frame. Rodgers, in his first year with a new scheme, had some growing pains. It LOOKED better on the field, and the team was winning. But Rodgers' individual numbers still weren't very good.

Despite all this, before Rodgers played a game for his new HC who he did not get a say in selecting, Gutey extended him for the richest new money/new year contract in NFL history; and Rodgers signed that deal. Rodgers' deal was restructured one year later to further entrench him to the team by pushing dead money into future years if he is traded or released.

Then Rodgers became the MVP. And now this.

Like I said, add all the interpretations and explanations you want. This is a chronological listing of facts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
18 May 2021 11:38
Maybe that distaste for MM affected Rodgers' play
But these are the facts. Rodgers was playing as a middle of the road QB in 2017 and 2018. I can pull up comparisons to the likes of Kirk Cousins or Derek Carr or Marcus Mariota in that time frame. Rodgers, in his first year with a new scheme, had some growing pains. It LOOKED better on the field, and the team was winning. But Rodgers' individual numbers still weren't very good.
I'd expect as his distaste for McCarthy's schemes got worse so did his play, plus the receivers do affect a QB's stats, all ya have to do is go look at all scramble and extended plays, thats because no one is getting open on schedule, I thought with MLF's new offense everyone improved as the season progressed, now obviously Rodgers dedicated himself more for Matts 2nd season, but that could be said for Adams or MVS etc. experience doing something as complicated as NFL offenses does make a big difference.

also Murphy gave Rodgers the contract not Guty

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

These are the results from 2020 and you'd be hard pressed to suggest the Packers offense is lacking anything from a production POV. A big part of that is year 2 for all of the WR's, TE's, RBs as well as the QB. The other part that is obvious - this offense does not require a stable of studs at WR
( either in terms of star talent or supreme depth) to be very productive. Its just not a WR-dependent offense like GB had in the past.

This scheme is what gets guys open...how many times did we see guys running free ? This version of the MLF/Shanny offense relies more heavily on the TE's and RB's - in part because those are easier match-ups to exploit. As NFL defenses shifted to nickle & dime, they were set up to take away the 11 personnel package - so what MLF and others did was to swing the other direction and attack the weaknesses of those nickle/dime defenses with 12, 22, 21 personnel - forcing the DCs to make a tough decision.

That's part of the beauty of Dillon & Deguara- they are poor match-ups for a nickle/dime defense. TE/RB vs an LB or Safety favors the offense more than the traditional WR/CB match-up. That's part of why GB averaged only 2.45 WR's per play last year - the Packers are attacking with more TE/RBs than in the past.
Fantasy players are still living in a WR-centric offense, but the Packers under MLF have evolved. GB can still kill ya with Adams, Lazard, MVS in 11 personnel- but now they have other ways to burn you and the defense has to prepare accordingly. The addition of Dillon will get AR more single high...which is what he always wants. The HC, the scheme, the skill personnel and the OL are all set up for a Championship run. Rodgers would be a fool to think he can find all of this someplace else. And any fans who say the Packers haven't done enough for Rodgers, is ignoring reality.

A better defense elsewhere ? Perhaps. But not a better offense for 37 year old Aaron Rodgers.

IT. IS. TIME

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The part that caught my attention was where one of the sources said he'd heard GB "wouldn't accept less than 3 1sts." If true, that means GB is picking up the phone or sending out feelers.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
21 May 2021 21:31
The part that caught my attention was where one of the sources said he'd heard GB "wouldn't accept less than 3 1sts." If true, that means GB is picking up the phone or sending out feelers.
Or they are making it known not to bother them unless they are willing to give up a ridiculous package. Ihere aren't many teams that would even consider that for a 37 year old player.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

williewasgreat wrote:
22 May 2021 04:58
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
21 May 2021 21:31
Or they are making it known not to bother them unless they are willing to give up a ridiculous package. Ihere aren't many teams that would even consider that for a 37 year old player.
Still looking forward to seeing #10 throwing highly accurate passes with incredible zip on them to anyone who wants to catch them in the preseason. That realization is only 12 weeks away. My 2 preseason tickets are available for the August 14th game vs. the Texans. GO PACK GO. :argue:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Aaron can play the guitar, but he can't dance and hangs out with people who can't sing. Trade him.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
24 May 2021 10:20
Aaron can play the guitar
Am I crazy or is he playing both right and left handed?

Read More. Post Less.