Packers Big Board - #9

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
17%
Mekhi Beckton, T, Louisville
29%
Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
4%
Hennry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama
4%
Javon Kinlaw, IDL, South Carolina
21%
CJ Henderson, CB, Florida
8%
Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
No votes
Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
4%
A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
4%
Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon
4%
Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU
4%
K'Lavon Chaisson, EDGE/LB, LSU
No votes
Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama
No votes
Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State
No votes
Kenneth Murray, ILB, Oklahoma
No votes

Total votes: 24

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

No one has made a case for why Burrow should be off the board other than the websites said so. He is a GREAT college QB on a dominate team that will be an average Joe NFL player.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

NCF wrote:
24 Mar 2020 12:28
No one has made a case for why Burrow should be off the board other than the websites said so. He is a GREAT college QB on a dominate team that will be an average Joe NFL player.
That is your opinion, and everyone who gets paid to make those decisions and judge those decisions says he should be 1, without question. But they are often wrong, where do you feel he should be slotted?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

NCF wrote:
From what JT O'Sullivan shows here, Burrow has some things that can make him a day 1 starter as a pocket passer in the NFL: Anticipation, accuracy and timing (you know, things that made Brady successful). Throws the ball when receiver's back is still towards him on curls and backshoulders - doesn't wait until the route is complete and can see the guy is open, 'cause in the NFL that's usually too late. Tells me he trusts a system and has worked that timing with his WRs to the T. That capacity to start day 1 would lift him pretty high on big boards.

What isn't shown on this tape much is how he handles the heavier and quicker pass rush pressure that comes with the NFL. My guess is that anticipation and timing give him a better chance than most. Didn't seem fazed by the few hits he took. Many college QBs that have enjoyed having good Olines in college lack that under-pressure tape.

At least good enough deep ball, enough legs to scramble for yards if a lane is open. Generational arm talent? Naah, but good enough for many systems.

I wouldn't be thrilled to pick him no 1 overall, but in my uneducated eyes, a top 10 overall talent.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
24 Mar 2020 12:42
NCF wrote:
That is your opinion, and everyone who gets paid to make those decisions and judge those decisions says he should be 1, without question. But they are often wrong, where do you feel he should be slotted?
Close to here. Just not ahead of this top-10, for sure. Honestly, if I need a QB in this draft, Jordan Love is the guy I want. When we look back 5 years from now, I think he will be the best of the bunch.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

NCF wrote:
24 Mar 2020 13:13
Close to here. Just not ahead of this top-10, for sure. Honestly, if I need a QB in this draft, Jordan Love is the guy I want. When we look back 5 years from now, I think he will be the best of the bunch.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/ulJqb38U ... =giphy.gif
Attachments
image.png
image.png (94.61 KiB) Viewed 556 times

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Burrow should have been gone days ago. Its like saying the pack should have passed on AR bc he wasnt a need at the moment. Yea a little different but if a future qb is there that you feel can be the man take him. I think burrow is special.

Becton also. This guys is a dancing bear. The perfect mauling Rt that can learn to be a top tier pass blocker.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Think about this.

Kyler Murray is the highest paid QB on a rookie deal in 2020, as far as average goes. He will average $8,789,661 and ranks 23rd. 19 QBs will average more than $20 million in 2020. 8 will make $30 million or more.

When Rodgers was drafted, Brett Favre was making an average of just over $10 million a year. Aaron Rodgers' rookie deal averaged just over $1.5 million.

It's tough to sit a highly drafted rookie QB, their salaries quickly become a detriment to team building.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
24 Mar 2020 12:42
NCF wrote:
well I think he's slotted where he is because for one, he's a QB, and 2 the best rated in this class, QB is such a in demand position, that alone jumps them above others who are actually a better positional player.

I'am sure the Packer big board has all the QB's rated even though it's debatable that they would use there first pick on any if they fall, just because we took Rodgers when he fell doesn't mean it's standard op, as we know Favre threatened to retire for a few years, Thompson had to take that seriously.
thats not the case with AR, and fo would never offered that contract if they had any doubts of his ability or future ability to earn it, I bitch about Murphy all the time , but that doesn't mean I don't respect his managerial ability.

for that reason, and I know it's not a way to build a big board, but I don't even lump the position in with the rest, unless I think we chose one kinda high, Teddy blew me away when he took Brohm, I bet it blew Rodgers away as well, it sure increased that chip on his shoulder, so I guess there was some weird pluses with that pick, ended up the 7th round Flynn was more ready and coachable then Brohm the spoiled brat.

two positions I hate picking, a hell I hate gambling on anything actually but QB is #1 and DL is #2, I don't think I've ever gotten any right, course that can be said for a few past GM's in the league to.

Chase is the highest rated player in this class, and there are probably another 4 or more players with a higher grade then Burrows, but he'll probably be drafted above all of em, same with the even lower graded Tua.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:25
Think about this.

Kyler Murray is the highest paid QB on a rookie deal in 2020, as far as average goes. He will average $8,789,661 and ranks 23rd. 19 QBs will average more than $20 million in 2020. 8 will make $30 million or more.

When Rodgers was drafted, Brett Favre was making an average of just over $10 million a year. Aaron Rodgers' rookie deal averaged just over $1.5 million.

It's tough to sit a highly drafted rookie QB, their salaries quickly become a detriment to team building.
That is all relative, the salary cap in 2005 was $85.5 million. Now the cap is $198 million.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

We’ve had this discussion in 10 threads a year over multiple years.

Everyone can vote how they want, defend your vote and try to explain your reasoning.

Absolutely what’s happening right now, so great.

That said I don’t think I’ve ever voted for a QB ever in this and probably won’t till next year, more likely 2022 as I’m behind the consensus on that.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:36

Everyone can vote how they want, defend your vote and try to explain your reasoning.

That said I don’t think I’ve ever voted for a QB ever in this and probably won’t till next year, more likely 2022 as I’m behind the consensus on that.
So you are going off of what Sal said, more of a "Packers Wish List Board" ;)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Packfntk wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:33
Pckfn23 wrote:
Think about this.

That is all relative, the salary cap in 2005 was $85.5 million. Now the cap is $198 million.
thing is Rodgers was pretty much ready to start his 2nd year, I think it might have been a close contest if fair against starting over Brett, I know I'am kinda guessing here ( I defended at the time to keep Brett the starter) but Aaron has hinted as much with some of his comments over the years, my point is we where lucky that Rodgers was as patient as he was to sit 2 more years behind a player he felt he was better then, I'am not sure others would be, and then it becomes a huge distraction once the media gets wind of it.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Packfntk wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Think about this.

Absolutely, which is why QB salaries have skyrocketed as well. It doesn't change the fact that after their rookie contract, good QBs' contract starts to cash strap a team. It is MUCH easier to build a team around a QB on a rookie deal. The age of sitting QBs is over, if it ever existed.

This would be why Burrow is lower on a Packer Board compared to... say... the Bengals.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packfntk wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:38
BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:36

So you are going off of what Sal said, more of a "Packers Wish List Board" ;)
To some respect yes. More just kind of like positions not of need are kind of all downgraded a tier basically, this year positions like QB, RB, edge, and safety all downgraded a bit, positions like G, T, WR, and ILB all up half a tier.

Now Chase Young is probably in a tier by himself, downgrading him a tier, he is probably still at the top of the next tier, after CeeDee Lamb. :lombardi:

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 14:46
Packfntk wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Think about this.

Absolutely, which is why QB salaries have skyrocketed as well. It doesn't change the fact that after their rookie contract, good QBs' contract starts to cash strap a team. It is MUCH easier to build a team around a QB on a rookie deal. The age of sitting QBs is over, if it ever existed.

This would be why Burrow is lower on a Packer Board compared to... say... the Bengals.
Somewhat disagree here.

A qb at 30 isnt hurting you like a qb at 10. The packers are still picking at 30 in this exercise right? Big pay difference in top 10 pick to 30

Case and point. Lamar Jackson is costing pennies to the qbs that went early

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
24 Mar 2020 15:52
Somewhat disagree here.

A qb at 30 isnt hurting you like a qb at 10. The packers are still picking at 30 in this exercise right? Big pay difference in top 10 pick to 30
True, but it also cuts both ways. In today's NFL, we really want to get that QB and give him the job, so you have 4 years of rookie deal to build the team around him. Much harder to do if that guy sits there for 3 years.

You can also extend that guy, early, for a big discount, but that is still cost prohibitive and likely costs you two starter contracts that you could spend elsewhere.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

And the flipside to that is that, when Rodgers was picked, it WAS also cost prohibitive because there was no rookie wage scale and the Packers did it, anyway. But, Rodgers rookie contract was also a 6 year deal. So, different, but the same. I guess if you really like the guy you pull the trigger. That brings me back to my original argument in that I don't think Burrow is anything that special.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Brett had hinted at retirement for a few years, Aaron has done the opposite and has been playing, in my humble stoic opinion, better now than Favre was at that time.

Getting a rookie for 4 years now just hurts as we are basically expecting Aaron for 4 more years minumum. Do you pick up his 5th year option after year 3? Trade Aaron in an ugly divorce :lol:

Such an advantage for teams with their QB's on rookie contracts.

You do your homework on these guys, but this year, and say 95% likely next year too, even if they fall and he is #1 on your board, just trade back. I'm all for building for the future, but 5 years out is too many.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
24 Mar 2020 16:05
Brett had hinted at retirement for a few years, Aaron has done the opposite and has been playing, in my humble stoic opinion, better now than Favre was at that time.

Getting a rookie for 4 years now just hurts as we are basically expecting Aaron for 4 more years minumum. Do you pick up his 5th year option after year 3? Trade Aaron in an ugly divorce :lol:

Such an advantage for teams with their QB's on rookie contracts.

You do your homework on these guys, but this year, and say 95% likely next year too, even if they fall and he is #1 on your board, just trade back. I'm all for building for the future, but 5 years out is too many.
ya I agree with you two, the goal is to max out team value with picks, and not 3 to 4 years in the future, which I expect Rodgers will be hard to unset by just about any QB we could draft, I keep saying Rodgers biggest problem has been a lack of supporting cast, and there lack of experience and polish in Lafluers schemes.

someone supporting Burrows (packfnkt I think) commented on the chemistry he had with his receivers to be able to throw to the catch spot versus waiting on the receiver to break to it, when was the last time we've seen Aaron able to do that with a receiver not named Adams, it's border line criminal the way we've mistreated our HOF QB :thwap:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Packfntk wrote:
24 Mar 2020 10:39
NCF wrote:
24 Mar 2020 10:35
Packfntk wrote:
24 Mar 2020 10:24
If Burrow was there at 30, you bet your ass the Packers would take him. Because he would be the best player available.
Not if these other 10-15 guys we are voting ahead of Burrow were also there. I don't get the Burrow love. He's not that special of a QB. Yeah, at 30, I'd have to think long and hard about it and it probably would be the best pick, but Burrow is not some generational talent.
Him or Tua are the best at the position in the draft, which is the most important position in the game. I believe they are already better than probably 10-15 the starting QB's in the league, at the age of 22-23. You wouldn't immediately hop on him at 30? Good Lord.
I've been voting for Burrow since this started. If either one of these 2 are there at 30 Gute will take one of 'em. We didn't need Rodgers at 24 in 2005 either.