Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 May 2021 10:30
Acrobat wrote:
26 May 2021 10:21
Let's be real. Rodgers is just trying to make a play to do exactly what Brady did last season. Find a team with a decent roster who's willing to bring some other veterans in who want a ring. Then maybe he'll get Adams to join him in a year.

If he can't find it, then he'll come back to Green Bay and say it was all overblown.
Green Bay gives him the best chance to win a Championship in 2021.
Yep which is why I think he'll be back.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
26 May 2021 10:27
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 10:10
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 09:59
I guess I just don't see the downside to retaining him on the roster. Like, the media constantly asking people about Rodgers will be annoying, but really low-level as far as outside distractions go. I just don't think it's a big deal. It's hilarious to watch all these media members being like "at some point, this will cause more trouble than it's worth" when they are referring exclusively to themselves.

Like, listen to Amos yesterday. Listen to Clark and Aaron Jones yesterday. They're fine. Everyone is fine.
Yoho, if he refuses to play what is the team goal for keeping him? punishment for not bowing to Guty? we gain zero keeping him, and the distractions will be far worse then you seem to think, it'll snow ball, players will become discontented, nothing good comes from playing hard ball with a stubborn person, both sides lose :idn:
The idea I think most people are missing is just because you don't sell something in 2021, doesn't mean you can sell something in 2022.

:idea:

If you feel the market is "deflated" because teams expect the Packers have to move on from Rodgers, pressure the market by saying, "we can just hold him". It's like the stock market. You can panic sell when stock is going down....or you can hold it for another 12 months and the FMV will likely rise from the stock's bottom price.

And if people have the audacity to say the Packers is screwing a player by not letting him play in 2021 via a trade, the defense for that is easy. The Packers can just keep saying, "he is under contract with us and we would love to have him play football in 2021 for the Green Bay Packers."
I don't know why people would think Rodgers value next year would be the same as this year, I don't, we get two first this year, next year it could be 1 and change.

Rodgers net worth is 100 m plus, and thats not including his soon to be wife whos worth millions herself, so imo considering how stubborn Rodgers is Money wont get him back in the fold.

If I was a betting man I'd lay down the bucks that if Rodgers isn't on board by June first we trade him, forcing him to sit out the year will be far worse, if a UFA had a choice all things considered, why would they come to a team thats known for letting the media inform players they've been cut or traded and icing a 16 year HOF vet? makes no sense to me.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Acrobat wrote:
26 May 2021 10:41
Pckfn23 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
26 May 2021 10:21
Let's be real. Rodgers is just trying to make a play to do exactly what Brady did last season. Find a team with a decent roster who's willing to bring some other veterans in who want a ring. Then maybe he'll get Adams to join him in a year.

If he can't find it, then he'll come back to Green Bay and say it was all overblown.
Honestly, I think it's safe to say right now...

Rodgers doesn't care that much about winning. I mean, he has a LOT more fun when he's winning. But have you noticed it hasn't come up at ALL?

Like none of the leaks; nothing he said on Kenny Mayne... the media talks about whether or not he can contend... but the teams he's looking at: Denver and Vegas? They're not elite teams waiting for a QB (Denver moreso, but still) and they play the best team in the conference twice a year. The terms they are talking about is Rodgers having more control, being treated more like a person, and being closer to the west coast so his fiance's career and Jeopardy aspirations are maximally attended to.

Not a single time has "Rodgers wants to win a ring" been in the broader conversation about this situation.

I say this without judgment. People have different priorities. Rodgers wants to be happy and have fun and live closer to his girlfriend and feel like the team's management pays him the "proper" amount of respect and humanity. The winning is secondary.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 10:42
I don't know why people would think Rodgers value next year would be the same as this year, I don't, we get two first this year, next year it could be 1 and change.
Like, MAYBE that's true. But having a 2022 25th overall pick AND a 2023 20th overall pick is worth a little less than having a 2022 top-10 pick anyway. That's the value of knowing the pick before you make the trade.

Next year, without a doubt, there will be a team in the top 10 thinking "we've done so much, if only we could get our QB situation right" and decide that Rodgers is a faster, better choice for the next 4 years than a rookie in, let's be honest, an underwhelming (at this point) rookie QB class. There's a team like that every year. There always will be.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
26 May 2021 10:37
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 10:20
Drj820 wrote:
26 May 2021 10:12
I don’t think it’s a distraction the players can’t deal with either, but if he is just being paid to sit at home...gotta think at some point Gute will want to not keep being embarrassed and grab the loot while he can

Breaking news:
Dechambeau and Rodgers to face off against Brady and Mickelson on TNT in July in a celeb golf match btw lol
He doesn't get paid. If he sits, we get tons of money back; massive fines for missing time; he misses game checks for not playing. Sitting him makes him choose between playing for us or not playing at all. Sitting incites him to return at some point to get credit toward the year. Sitting gives us massive cap flexibility in 2022. And we can still trade him later in the season or next season if he doesn't budge.

There's no scenario in which we pay Rodgers and he doesn't play; that's not how contracts work, it's not how the CBA works. Once Rodgers realizes he can't play for anyone but us, the binary of never playing again or playing for the Packers is a much more advantageous decision matrix toward his return.

So we can keep him, get massive cap savings, and then trade him next year when the money makes more sense and the draft picks we receive are known quantities. Or we can keep him until he comes back. There is no incentive to rush the decision for the Packers. Rodgers' pain points come once training camp starts, and not before. Trading him before that never even gives the incentive structure a chance to work out in our favor.
What happens to all the cap space we allocated for him and then don’t spend bc he doesn’t play? Are you saying we get it the next year?

If so I vote to make him sit. I like trading for known picks too.
The 2011 CBA agreement changed the cap space rollover rules. Cap space now rolls into the following year at an unlimited amount. The only real requirement is I believe you need to spend a minimum of like 85% of the Cap each year so a team couldn't just absolutely decide to suck one year and then carry forward $100 million of cap. This is to keep competition parity as well as ensure players actually get paid.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 10:45
Acrobat wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Rodgers doesn't care that much about winning. I mean, he has a LOT more fun when he's winning. But have you noticed it hasn't come up at ALL?

Like none of the leaks; nothing he said on Kenny Mayne... the media talks about whether or not he can contend... but the teams he's looking at: Denver and Vegas? They're not elite teams waiting for a QB (Denver moreso, but still) and they play the best team in the conference twice a year. The terms they are talking about is Rodgers having more control, being treated more like a person, and being closer to the west coast so his fiance's career and Jeopardy aspirations are maximally attended to.

Not a single time has "Rodgers wants to win a ring" been in the broader conversation about this situation.

I say this without judgment. People have different priorities. Rodgers wants to be happy and have fun and live closer to his girlfriend and feel like the team's management pays him the "proper" amount of respect and humanity. The winning is secondary.
I think rodgers thinks if he can take GB to the playoffs year after year that he can take anyone to the playoffs...certainly the Broncos. He probably see it as a lateral move.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
The winning is secondary.
I disagree vehemently and with great fervor. :mrgreen:
This entire episode ( and Russell Wilson's too) was fomented by Brady going to TB and winning after their front office catered to everything Brady wanted. Including pulling Antonio Brown out of jail and signing him. Rodgers has said many times, that a players' legacy is created in the playoffs/title games. He wants another Ring and he wants to be sure the Packers are aligned AND that they will do what he wants to achieve that goal- same as in Tampa. "Tommy always gets what he wants, why don't I ?"

If TB loses to GB or KC, much of this never happens.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
26 May 2021 10:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
This entire episode ( and Russell Wilson's too) was fomented by Brady going to TB and winning after their front office catered to everything Brady wanted. Including pulling Antonio Brown out of jail and signing him. Rodgers has said many times, that a players' legacy is created in the playoffs/title games. He wants another Ring and he wants to be sure the Packers are aligned AND that they will do what he wants to achieve that goal- same as in Tampa. "Tommy always gets what he wants, why don't I ?"

I still think the Brady model is the wrong model to look at. I think Rodgers would be perfectly happy with the Brees model. Never got back to a Super Bowl, but the team pushed more and more dead money into Brees' deal to ensure that Brees was on the roster as long as he wanted and they maxmized short-term cap toward going "all-in" with him.

Like Rodgers said, this started a year ago. Brady didn't win the Super Bowl with the Bucs until a few months ago.

I'm not denying that he would like to win more rings. I'm just saying that the circumstances that matter to him are much more day-to-day than ring-to-ring.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 10:48
Yoop wrote:
Like, MAYBE that's true. But having a 2022 25th overall pick AND a 2023 20th overall pick is worth a little less than having a 2022 top-10 pick anyway. That's the value of knowing the pick before you make the trade.

Next year, without a doubt, there will be a team in the top 10 thinking "we've done so much, if only we could get our QB situation right" and decide that Rodgers is a faster, better choice for the next 4 years than a rookie in, let's be honest, an underwhelming (at this point) rookie QB class. There's a team like that every year. There always will be.
there is no such thing as a sure thing pick, and that includes top 10 picks, specially chosing QB's and DL.

I don't see the positives that you do by keeping a disgruntled Rodgers, everyone will look at this as us punishing a player because that player spoke up about the way the team treats un wanted players, that in itself is already bad in the eyes of UFA and other players, I'd never support this, and shame on the FO if this is how this plays out.

what needs to happen is the FO needs to accept there responsibility for the way they've treated past players, and make up for it by doing whatever is neccessary to appease Rodgers, learn from there mistakes, and move on.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

BSA wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

If that truly is the case, then ARod needs to pull his head out of his butt and wake up to reality: He isn’t in the same tier of QB as Tom Brady - that train has gone by and isn’t coming back.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
I think rodgers thinks if he can take GB to the playoffs year after year that he can take anyone to the playoffs...certainly the Broncos. He probably see it as a lateral move.
Oh certainly TO THE PLAYOFFS. But championships? Nah. I think he feels he has nothing to prove and any additional jewelry is gravy on top of a great career of being the best.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
if a UFA had a choice all things considered, why would they come to a team thats known for letting the media inform players they've been cut or traded and icing a 16 year HOF vet? makes no sense to me.
Absolutely. It's not an easy decision at all. Like most big decisions, there are positives and negatives to both and there will be differing of opinons of what the best move is to do.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

Last edited by Yoop on 26 May 2021 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gunzaan wrote:
26 May 2021 11:00
BSA wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

If that truly is the case, then ARod needs to pull his head out of his butt and wake up to reality: He isn’t in the same tier of QB as Tom Brady - that train has gone by and isn’t coming back.
why say something like that, Brady played ona short coast offensive scheme for his last 10 years at NE, that in itself produces guys like Brady, do you think Brady was a s good as Rodgers was last year? no way.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

This may be a side tangent but it’s being brought up: that he could be doing this for his “fiancé.” That just can’t be true - this is the guy who dropped his family like a bad habit and it’s well known that he is a homosexual - his relationship history is as obvious a cover up as Tom Cruise’s is.

The reason I bring this up? Let’s call a spade a spade. He would be doing it for himself and absolutely no one else.

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:04
Gunzaan wrote:
BSA wrote:

why say something like that, Brady played ona short coast offensive scheme for his last 10 years at NE, that in itself produces guys like Brady, do you think Brady was a s good as Rodgers was last year? no way.
That offensive scheme produces guys like Brady? Ummmmmm, no. There is only one Brady and he is the most accomplished QB of all time and it isn’t even close.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 11:01
Drj820 wrote:
Oh certainly TO THE PLAYOFFS. But championships? Nah. I think he feels he has nothing to prove and any additional jewelry is gravy on top of a great career of being the best.
come on Yoho, I don't even think you believe that? Rodgers was practically in tears last year, same in 014, same in 011, if anything Rodgers might want to win so badly he makes it harder for himself to do so.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
there is no such thing as a sure thing pick, and that includes top 10 picks, specially chosing QB's and DL.

I don't see the positives that you do by keeping a disgruntled Rodgers, everyone will look at this as us punishing a player because that player spoke up about the way the team treats un wanted players, that in itself is already bad in the eyes of UFA and other players, I'd never support this, and shame on the FO if this is how this plays out.

what needs to happen is the FO needs to accept there responsibility for the way they've treated past players, and make up for it by doing whatever is neccessary to appease Rodgers, learn from there mistakes, and move on.
I don't mean to say the top 10 pick will definitely be a good player. I just mean to say knowing which pick you are trading for before you make the trade is invaluable, and based on any trade value chart, a current year top ten pick is worth more than a current year 25th pick and a future year first.

But you're right. I think Gutey needs to address the team and acknowledge mistakes, offer an open door, perhaps create a players' council, perhaps name a staff member to manage difficult communications. I think he needs to come clean and admit more fault than he feels he has committed. I think any resolution or mediation of any conflict anywhere in the world requires coming to the table willing to admit fault and with an active plan to alleviate concerns and reduce the chances of the same mistakes happening again.

I think the best way to go about this is for Gutey to make it clear to the players who ARE in attendance that he listened to what Rodgers has to say. He wants to get out ahead of this. And Rodgers' stance is going to create improvements for how the entire team feels "treated" or "handled" when situations are more delicate or dicey. Not that he needs to make sentimental decisions, but that he needs to address those decisions tactfully and take the time to let voices be heard before finalizing them. Even if it doesn't affect the outcome.

I once dated a woman and when we argued she felt like she wasn't being heard or listened to. She said she KNOWS I am a thoughtful person who probably does listen, but she couldn't help but feel, in the moment, that I was just waiting for my chance to talk and respond rather than listening and weighing her input. I responded to that information by starting each of my responses with a brief restating of her case. Like "ok, so you're saying we should [X] because [Y], but I think the better result is [Z] because [Q]."

The outcome didn't change. My position didn't change. My ability to express my opinion didn't change. But she knew I had heard her because I repeated a paraphrased summary statement. Gutey needs to refine his communication procedures to ensure that everyone FEELS heard. If he does that to the team, to the players who are in house, then the in-house atmosphere gets better, AND Rodgers is seen as the hero leader who delivered it, which allows him to come back feeling like he won something, if he so chooses, but also decreases any tension or animosity in the locker room about his absence. Like, man, he may not be here with us, but he delivered for us.

That's a kind of result that manages to keep people together, with Rodgers, but without undermining Jordan Love's place on the team, either. Because it's not a zero-sum game.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Gunzaan wrote:
26 May 2021 11:06
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:04
Gunzaan wrote:

That offensive scheme produces guys like Brady? Ummmmmm, no. There is only one Brady and he is the most accomplished QB of all time and it isn’t even close.
thats a bunch of horse manure, the Shanahan system witch dates back to prior Brady is known to produce great QB's, the reason Brady stands out is because he was always in it, your going off of playoff wins to form your opinion.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:07
YoHoChecko wrote:
26 May 2021 11:01
Drj820 wrote:
come on Yoho, I don't even think you believe that? Rodgers was practically in tears last year, same in 014, same in 011, if anything Rodgers might want to win so badly he makes it harder for himself to do so.
No, I really do believe it. I don't view it as the indicnment that many here seem to think.

Look, if Rodgers wants to win a Super Bowl, his best chance is with Green Bay. The scheme familiarity, the roster, the personnel familiarity, the recent success...

That he wants to leave Green Bay over people problems is a clear indication that there are things he cares more about than winning.

Rodgers was very happy last year with his teammates and his coaches and his performance. Rodgers is happier when he's winning. And Rodgers WANTS to win Super Bowls. But what he cares more about is maintaining that happiness; maintaining his day-to-day existence in an organization where he feels valued.

Again, Vegas and Denver are NOT the best rosters if he wants to win. (They're also not particularly close to the west coast, but bygones). The places Rodgers is interested in appeal to him for reasons other than the roster and the coaching staff and the chances of winning a Super Bowl. Like, that doesn't even seem in dispute. I don't even see how anyone can disagree with it, given what we know.

Aaron Rodgers wants to be happy. He values his inner peace and his day to day enjoyment and his sense of dignity more than he values a Super Bowl. If that wasn't true, he'd be at OTAs right now.