General Packer News 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 May 2021 16:04
This went to the AF QB no?
I dunno; I figured possibly, but I only heard that there was a workout. But that seemed most likely to me.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 May 2021 16:08
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 May 2021 16:04
This went to the AF QB no?
I dunno; I figured possibly, but I only heard that there was a workout. But that seemed most likely to me.
I think it said he works out tomorrow.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Russell could just have been injury related.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

paco wrote:
24 May 2021 07:17
TheSkeptic wrote:
24 May 2021 05:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
23 May 2021 20:22

Represent.
You cannot just leave the air force academy after being there 2 years.
Who says he did? He's been there since 2017.
That is not what I meant. If you drop out of the AF academy after 2 years you owe the government a 4 year enlistment. In other words, if the Packers sign him they might not get him for 4 years as he could be servicing get engines in Somalia for 4 years. There is a reason he went undrafted and no team signed him yet as an UDFA. Of course NFL players are not subject to the law or the contracts they signed like ordinary people.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

TheSkeptic wrote:
24 May 2021 19:59
paco wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
24 May 2021 05:57

You cannot just leave the air force academy after being there 2 years.
That is not what I meant. If you drop out of the AF academy after 2 years you owe the government a 4 year enlistment. In other words, if the Packers sign him they might not get him for 4 years as he could be servicing get engines in Somalia for 4 years. There is a reason he went undrafted and no team signed him yet as an UDFA. Of course NFL players are not subject to the law or the contracts they signed like ordinary people.
Imagine an officer servicing jet engines. Yeah nah man that’s an enlisted job my dude.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 May 2021 20:31
TheSkeptic wrote:
paco wrote:

Imagine an officer servicing jet engines. Yeah nah man that’s an enlisted job my dude.
I think what he’s getting at is if a candidate busts out of the Academy, he still owes the AF four years enlisted duty.

I don’t think that is the case, though.

*Edit*

From the AF homepage:
Second- and first-class cadets (junior and senior) who are separated by the Academy, or whose resignations are accepted, will normally incur a commitment for active duty. Exceptions will be made for humanitarian reasons and those few cases in which it is not in the best interest of the U.S. Air Force to call a cadet to active duty because of physical disqualification, misconduct or demonstrated unsuitability for military service in an enlisted status.
I assume the disqualifying issue was serious enough for the AF to not retain him in any capacity thus the requirement for full repayment of past AF expenditures.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

No the academies made an exception for professional sports leagues, unless that got reversed.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 May 2021 20:48
No the academies made an exception for professional sports leagues, unless that got reversed.
Roger Staubach ?? :idn: Maybe the rules have changed since the days of Roger Staubach.

Several Navy football players have gone on to have success in the NFL, most notably 1963 Heisman Trophy winner Roger Staubach, a quarterback for the Midshipmen from 1962-64. After serving a tour of duty in Vietnam, he joined the Dallas Cowboys in 1969 and guided the team to a pair of Super Bowl victories. Another Heisman Trophy winner, Glenn Davis of Army in 1946, was a first-round draft pick of the Detroit Lions but had to serve three years in the Army before making his NFL debut with Detroit in 1950. In addition, receiver Phil McConkey played for Navy from 1975-78, then served for five years before the New York Giants made him a 27-year-old rookie in 1984. He caught a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl for New York and remained in the NFL through 1989.

Here's an excerpt from a November 2019 Baltimore Sun article:
"WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Mark Esper has opened the door for athletes at the nation’s military academies to play professional sports after they graduate, and delay their active-duty service. Esper signed a memo last Friday laying out the new guidelines, which says the athletes must get approval from the defense secretary, and it requires them to eventually fulfill their military obligation or repay the costs of their education.

The memo, obtained by The Associated Press, came at the insistence of President Donald Trump, who directed the Pentagon in June to come up with a way to allow athletes to play professional sports immediately upon graduation. Trump gave the Pentagon four months to develop the new policy.
Allowing athletes to delay service has been a hotly debated issue. The Obama administration put a policy in place allowing some athletes to go to the pros and defer their military service.

A 2017 memo from then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, in an April 2017 memo, said that the service academies “exist to develop future officers,” and that graduates would serve as “full-fledged military officers carrying out the normal work and career expectations” of someone who received an education at the taxpayers’ expense."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

APB wrote:
24 May 2021 20:46
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 May 2021 20:31
TheSkeptic wrote:

I think what he’s getting at is if a candidate busts out of the Academy, he still owes the AF four years enlisted duty.

I don’t think that is the case, though.

*Edit*

From the AF homepage:
Second- and first-class cadets (junior and senior) who are separated by the Academy, or whose resignations are accepted, will normally incur a commitment for active duty. Exceptions will be made for humanitarian reasons and those few cases in which it is not in the best interest of the U.S. Air Force to call a cadet to active duty because of physical disqualification, misconduct or demonstrated unsuitability for military service in an enlisted status.
I assume the disqualifying issue was serious enough for the AF to not retain him in any capacity thus the requirement for full repayment of past AF expenditures.
Bunch of them got kicked out for hazing recently. Mostly had to do with the swimming team though if I remember right.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I still don't get why you think he's dropping out after 2 years. He's been there for 4. He only played 2 seasons. Didn't see the field his freshman year and 2020 was, well, 2020. Should be no issues.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

paco wrote:
24 May 2021 21:53
I still don't get why you think he's dropping out after 2 years. He's been there for 4. He only played 2 seasons. Didn't see the field his freshman year and 2020 was, well, 2020. Should be no issues.
From an academic standpoint, he was considered a cadet second-class. He had completed his junior year but had not yet begun his senior year when he got caught up in his issue and was dismissed from the academy.

From the article posted earlier -
“I ended up getting dismissed from the academy for an academic violation. Since it was the end of my junior year into my senior year, I have to momentarily reimburse the government.”
I believe the "momentarily" word usage is a typo. It should read "monetarily".

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
25 May 2021 08:04
paco wrote:
From an academic standpoint, he was considered a cadet second-class. He had completed his junior year but had not yet begun his senior year when he got caught up in his issue and was dismissed from the academy.

“I ended up getting dismissed from the academy for an academic violation. Since it was the end of my junior year into my senior year, I have to momentarily reimburse the government.”
right, but are you sure it's a 4 year commitment? the air force Academy is 4 years, the commitment to pay that back is another 3 or 4 years of duty, thats why he has to pay it back.

in the trades now (UNION Sheetmetal) it's a 5 year apprenticeship, if you leave the trade prior to another 5 years as aJourney man you will not receive vestage rights to that 10 years of pension, you lose that 10 years.

unless the rules have changed since I got out.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 09:34
APB wrote:
paco wrote:

right, but are you sure it's a 4 year commitment? the air force Academy is 4 years, the commitment to pay that back is another 3 or 4 years of duty, thats why he has to pay it back.
Enlighten thyself.

https://www.academyadmissions.com/apply/commitment/

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
25 May 2021 11:45
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

Enlighten thyself.

so in stead of just saying Yoop your right, which wouldn't have been that hard, you provide a link which proves I was, thanks I guess.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 12:50
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Enlighten thyself.

so in stead of just saying Yoop your right, which wouldn't have been that hard, you provide a link which proves I was, thanks I guess.
Exactly, all except the part about you being right.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Safe to say big Dean will be sticking around. Another guy I don’t think gets the love he should get. Is what he is and that is a decent, not flashy, DL.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Making a bit of cap room.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
25 May 2021 19:55
Yoop wrote:
25 May 2021 12:50
APB wrote:

Enlighten thyself.

Exactly, all except the part about you being right.
whatever, the point is that going to the air force academy is not a 4 year commitment, and if ya leave early for any reason you'll be expected to pay for that education, just as this kid said he would have to do.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

The Packers sign WR DeAndre Thompkins to have another warm body in camp. And I totally first read that "DeAndre Hopkins" and was like woooot? :rotf:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
26 May 2021 15:44
The Packers sign WR DeAndre Thompkins to have another warm body in camp. And I totally first read that "DeAndre Hopkins" and was like woooot? :rotf:
He's the dollar store version. :lol:

It's like when I was a kid and asked mom for Kellogg's Fruit Loops and she comes home from the store with this instead.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.