Rookie Camp

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

APB wrote:
22 May 2021 06:48
Drj820 wrote:
17 May 2021 12:41
YoHoChecko wrote:
17 May 2021 12:35

Total bs. Teams appreciate when it works. Had we spent our way into cap hell (which we almost have, actually) to "go all in" and still failed, fans would be just as upset that we failed. If we were kicking the can down the road and failing, fans would complain about that no less than if we seem to be going a more developmental, slow-and-steady rate toward our failure.

This is a team that did not have a winning record in 2017 or 2018 that hired a new GM in that period to turn that around, a new coach afterward, and immediately finished "ahead of schedule" with a 13-3 NFCCG appearance in '19 and repeated that performance, looking like a more impressive team in 2020. This is a team that brought in tons of free agents in that time period and extended their own Pro Bowlers. This is a team that has acquired one Pro Bowl player per year under the new GM (3 in 3 years) and retained the same number of them (3 contract extensions for Pro Bowlers in 3 years). We ARE going all in. When you go all in and fail, people complain that you aren't all-in enough. It's Super Bowl or bust for those fans. They'll complain no matter which way you try to frame it.

Anyway, I'm excited about this rookie class and their interviews were all pretty great and I wish that our OL had a really legit RT of the future on it.
I think everyone is pretty much pointing to the Saints and their failures when saying this style is a failure. There are other examples though of teams that had a great nucleus (like the packers) and actively tried to add sprinkles to the cake every offseason. The best example of this recently would be the Eagles who won a super bowl. Another example is the Chiefs who won a sb recently, and the Niners who went to a super bowl.

The difference between those well appreciated efforts and the current packers is we overpay for guys like lowry and overpay to bring King back and suddenly have no money to make ANY improvements from outside the building like the niners did today when they signed WR Marquise Lee.

There are ways to go crazy and mortgage the future, and ways to just show you are really trying. Not sure Rodgers thinks the org is even “really trying”.
Side note: the 49ers cut WR Marqise Lee yesterday. Had to make room for more “improvement” in the form of WR Benny Fowler, another multi-team castoff.
I saw that, certainly didn’t help emphasize my point like I hoped it would. I thought Lee was decent ha
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

3's not a crowd at OLB

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/thr ... linebacker

"Last season, 4 of the 6 most-used personnel groupings under former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine included outside linebackers Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith and Rashan Gary on the field at the same time.

The Green Bay Packers have a new defensive coordinator with Joe Barry, but those three-OLB packages could remain a staple."

For Mike Smith, his patient approach was rewarded.

“I’ve been here long enough where if you force a guy to get in the game early enough in his career and force him to play when he’s not ready, you can do a lot of damage,” he said. “I was blessed enough to have some good depth that first year where I could allow Rashan to have that progression. You see that progression from the first year to the second year, so I expect a big jump in Year 3.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
27 May 2021 11:15
“I’ve been here long enough where if you force a guy to get in the game early enough in his career and force him to play when he’s not ready, you can do a lot of damage,” he said. “I was blessed enough to have some good depth that first year where I could allow Rashan to have that progression. You see that progression from the first year to the second year, so I expect a big jump in Year 3.
I really loved that quote and have been looking for ways to incorporate it into threads, so thanks for putting it somewhere.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think his point holds true for most positions, imo less so though for mano, mano positions such as edge rusher and edge CB, sure both positions players can develop bad tech, but when they do it shows up quick and is fixed just as quickly, or it never is as has been the case with KIng ( not playing square prior to WR break) imo minus P Smith and Gary could have doubled his pressures last year and could have done pretty well as a rookie.

and my opinion has nothing to do with how well these 3 will play this season, seriously who doesn't think we should have a out standing pass rush from them and Clark? heck I think our pass rush should be top 5 in the league, should have been last year too, just as it was two years ago.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
27 May 2021 11:42
I think his point holds true for most positions, imo less so though for mano, mano positions such as edge rusher and edge CB, sure both positions players can develop bad tech, but when they do it shows up quick and is fixed just as quickly, or it never is as has been the case with KIng ( not playing square prior to WR break) imo minus P Smith and Gary could have doubled his pressures last year and could have done pretty well as a rookie.

and my opinion has nothing to do with how well these 3 will play this season, seriously who doesn't think we should have a out standing pass rush from them and Clark? heck I think our pass rush should be top 5 in the league, should have been last year too, just as it was two years ago.
I mean given that the coach who made the quote specifically has been an edge rusher coach his whole career, I'd say I'm going to trust him over you that it applies less to edge rushers than to other positions.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

BSA wrote:
3's not a crowd at OLB

"Last season, 4 of the 6 most-used personnel groupings under former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine included outside linebackers Za’Darius Smith, Preston Smith and Rashan Gary on the field at the same time.

The Green Bay Packers have a new defensive coordinator with Joe Barry, but those three-OLB packages could remain a staple."

:aok:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 May 2021 11:49
Yoop wrote:
27 May 2021 11:42

I mean given that the coach who made the quote specifically has been an edge rusher coach his whole career, I'd say I'm going to trust him over you that it applies less to edge rushers than to other positions.

imo less so though for mano, mano positions, and I back this up Yoho with how often rookies start at these positions and do well as rookies.

to me he is defending the fact that he Kept preston as the starter all year even when Gary was the better rusher.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
27 May 2021 12:13
imo less so though for mano, mano positions, and I back this up Yoho with how often rookies start at these positions and do well as rookies.

to me he is defending the fact that he Kept preston as the starter all year even when Gary was the better rusher.
What makes a mano y mano position? Wouldn't that be the case for DL, where it notoriously is a slow developing position?

What constitutes success? If you're an 8-sack rotational pass rusher as a rookie, does that mean you didn't make a ton of miscues or weren't ready for the run game?

He wasn't defensive. He was explaining. He was saying that based on years of experience coaching edge rushers, he has seen the damage that can occur when they play before they are ready. If you choose to disbelieve it based on the fact that some rookies have some sacks sometimes--or based on the Chase Young, Bosa brothers extreme high-end player success, that's your prerogative... but you certainly shouldn't expect forum users to see Mike Smith make a very clear statement, see Yoop refute it, and say "ya know, I think Yoop is right" :mrgreen:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

BSA wrote:
3's not a crowd at OLB

I wonder how emerges as EDGE4. Garvin has pretty interesting athleticism. They seemed to like Randy Ramsey a lot last year, but it sounds like he was more for that Fackrell role, which should hopefully be filled by one of our ILBs now.

I have no clue what else we have at the spot.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Labrev wrote:
27 May 2021 21:25
I wonder how emerges as EDGE4. Garvin has pretty interesting athleticism. They seemed to like Randy Ramsey a lot last year, but it sounds like he was more for that Fackrell role, which should hopefully be filled by one of our ILBs now.

I have no clue what else we have at the spot.
I'm very excited for Garvin and Gilaei to develop. I'm not super high on Delonte Scott, but Tipa Galaei is the smallish speed rusher mode we're lacking, if he manages to strengthen up a little.

Paul Bretl wrote:Meanwhile, both rookie edge rushers, Tipa Galeai and Jonathan Garvin, are making noise as well.
Zach Kruse wrote:OLB Tipa Galeai: The Packers have to be intrigued by his impressive pass-rushing skill set. Even as an undrafted free agent, there’s a chance he wouldn’t get through waivers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 May 2021 21:33
I'm not super high on Delonte Scott
Yeah, I don't get the appeal, either. I rarely trust a guy without a true position.

Read More. Post Less.