Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 May 2021 11:00
salmar80 wrote:
28 May 2021 10:53
Got to thinking: Imagine the possibility of trading your draft picks for another team's cap space. How high of a draft pick would you sell for 38M of cap space?

High 1st rounder? Low 1st? Would a 2nd round pick be worth over 35M?

Just wondering because that would be a thing in a Rodgers trade.
As a reference point, the Browns and Texans I think made a trade involving a QB that amounted to a second round pick for $16 million in cap space a few years back. The analytics crowd felt that was a poor use of a second round pick because of the value of a second round pick being more than $16 million, not because the theory was bad.

Are you suggesting that we will or should accept less in compensation because we also are clearing $38 million in cap space over a 2-year period by moving him? That's an interesting thought but one I initially don't love.
No, the other way around.

The Packers would eat a massive 38M cap hit if they traded AR, which benefits the team trading for AR immensely -> GB should be compensated for that in the trade.

That same 38M is why we couldn't afford to splurge in UFA, but the team trading for AR would be able to. With GB eating that cap hit for them, they'd be free to extend/restructure AR's deal in a way that has an extremely low 2021 and 2022 cap hits. That equates to about 38M worth of UFAs they can sign.

In other words, how much a 38M UFA haul is worth in draft picks?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I agree that we can get "more" in a trade now than we can next year, but as I've already pointed out a top-10 pick in 2022 is worth significantly more than a 25th pick in 2022 and a mid first-round pick in 2023. You couldn't trade the 25th pick and a future #1 for the 8th pick in the draft. The Bears, for instance moved from 20 to 12 and it cost them a future first, a current 5th, and a future 4th.

So yeah, we can trade him now for two 1sts and a young player of starting caliber. But if we can trade him next year for a single first--but in the top ten--and a starting caliber player, we have actually come out ahead, even though his "trade value" was "lower"

Knowing which pick you are trading for is VERY valuable.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 May 2021 11:36
I agree that we can get "more" in a trade now than we can next year, but as I've already pointed out a top-10 pick in 2022 is worth significantly more than a 25th pick in 2022 and a mid first-round pick in 2023. You couldn't trade the 25th pick and a future #1 for the 8th pick in the draft. The Bears, for instance moved from 20 to 12 and it cost them a future first, a current 5th, and a future 4th.

So yeah, we can trade him now for two 1sts and a young player of starting caliber. But if we can trade him next year for a single first--but in the top ten--and a starting caliber player, we have actually come out ahead, even though his "trade value" was "lower"

Knowing which pick you are trading for is VERY valuable.
If I remember correctly Favre had right to refuse trade to just any team, did that change with this new CBA? or am I wrong about that? seemed like Favre had to sign off on the trade to the Jets.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
28 May 2021 11:44
If I remember correctly Favre had right to refuse trade to just any team, did that change with this new CBA? or am I wrong about that? seemed like Favre had to sign off on the trade to the Jets.
Two possible answers, and I'm not sure which (or both) was the case...

1) individuals can negotiate no-trade clauses which means their individual contract says they cannot be traded. That allows the player to pick the team because the player can volunteer to waive the no-trade clause if the team finds a trade destination that the player prefers.

2) Favre had retired, and filed the paperwork, I believe. He simply would not file for re-instatement if the Packers wanted to trade him somewhere that he didn't want to play. And the Packers would never get a team to trade for Favre's rights until Favre filed for re-instatement and made clear he would accept the trade. Otherwise a team is giving up draft capital for the CHANCE that a player decides to file for reinstatement, which would be a bold, dumb thing to do.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 May 2021 11:47
Otherwise a team is giving up draft capital for the CHANCE that a player decides to file for reinstatement, which would be a bold, dumb thing to do.
Essentially what Ron Wolf did when he acquired Keith Jackson.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

1) individuals can negotiate no-trade clauses which means their individual contract says they cannot be traded. That allows the player to pick the team because the player can volunteer to waive the no-trade clause if the team finds a trade destination that the player prefers.

2) Favre had retired, and filed the paperwork, I believe. He simply would not file for re-instatement if the Packers wanted to trade him somewhere that he didn't want to play. And the Packers would never get a team to trade for Favre's rights until Favre filed for re-instatement and made clear he would accept the trade. Otherwise a team is giving up draft capital for the CHANCE that a player decides to file for reinstatement, which would be a bold, dumb thing to do.
I'm not exactly sure what [mention]Yoop[/mention] is remembering, but I think there was a deal in place with Tampa but the Packers are the ones who pulled out of that when the Jets entered the picture because GB had Tampa on the schedule that year.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
28 May 2021 12:01
YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what @Yoop is remembering, but I think there was a deal in place with Tampa but the Packers are the ones who pulled out of that when the Jets entered the picture because GB had Tampa on the schedule that year.
You are correct.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I think #2 is how that went back then, also it seemed to me players could sit out a year, and then go wherever they wanted back then, so teams where more will to trade players to teams of there prefernce?????

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
28 May 2021 12:38
also it seemed to me players could sit out a year, and then go wherever they wanted back then
I don't know if that was true of players under contract, but that is how it used to work (maybe still does...?) for guys under the franchise tag. I think Sean Gilbert was a guy who sat out a year and then signed elsewhere.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

It’s Friday afternoon before a holiday. Totally expecting Schefter to break that Rodgers is going to be traded after June 1st.

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

The more I think about this the more I come to the position of just milking Denver for everything you can get and move on. As other members have said Aaron’s value is never higher than now. He’s got a lot of things going on that are distractions. He’s no longer as mobile. He played great for sure in 2020 but how much of that was him and how much was the system? He didn’t make the transcending plays needed in the TB game after the D stepped up in the second half and instead predictably tried to force it to Davante. The 2021 running game is set up to be awesome. If Love stinks then you have enough draft capital to pick another QB in 2022.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lake shark wrote:
28 May 2021 17:42
The more I think about this the more I come to the position of just milking Denver for everything you can get and move on. As other members have said Aaron’s value is never higher than now. He’s got a lot of things going on that are distractions. He’s no longer as mobile. He played great for sure in 2020 but how much of that was him and how much was the system? He didn’t make the transcending plays needed in the TB game after the D stepped up in the second half and instead predictably tried to force it to Davante. The 2021 running game is set up to be awesome. If Love stinks then you have enough draft capital to pick another QB in 2022.
Just had a stinkin' thought ............... Imagine this blasting out of the Titletown District and other Lambeau Field tailgating venues (Stadium View, etc.) before the Packers games (before or after #12 is gone). Sick, I'm tellin' you ........... Sick.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
28 May 2021 19:39
lake shark wrote:
Just had a stinkin' thought ............... Imagine this blasting out of the Titletown District and other Lambeau Field tailgating venues (Stadium View, etc.) before the Packers games (before or after #12 is gone). Sick, I'm tellin' you ........... Sick.
Love isn't going to stink. He may never be MVP but he is going to win a lot of SB's. And that is what it is all about for fans like me. I could care less if the Packers QB gets the regular season MVP. I want to see the Packers with more points at the end or the Super Bowl again. I want Lombardi in GB again.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

lake shark wrote:
I agree. If Love is awful, and we have a top 10 pick in the draft, we have the draft capital to move up the top spot if we want. I don’t know if there are any great looking QB’s coming up for 2022 but that is an option for the worst case scenario.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Acrobat wrote:
29 May 2021 08:47
lake shark wrote:
I agree. If Love is awful, and we have a top 10 pick in the draft, we have the draft capital to move up the top spot if we want. I don’t know if there are any great looking QB’s coming up for 2022 but that is an option for the worst case scenario.
QB for 2022 draft isn't good. There may not be anyone worth taking at one, and if there is it will be a one year wonder guy, I think.

Turk's B.B.C.
Reactions:

Post by Turk's B.B.C. »

Both AR and Love stay this season. Too expensive to trade Rodgers. We trade him and we lose some vets next year, guaranteed, even with the salcap increasing. So, then what? A couple years of rebuild with all those draft picks we're supposed to glean from the Broncos? Does anyone believe Denver would be silly enough to give up the talent that has been suggested, PLUS high draft picks? That would leave them with a 38-year-old MVP with dubious talent around him and no picks. Not gonna happen.
Does anyone believe that Gute would fire-sale a QB who he traded up in the 1st to get? No way. He'd look like an imbecile
Now maybe if next spring's QB class is really mediocre and some team thought Love would be a safer bet, we see Love get traded for decent compensation (like a 1st).

What everyone sees of Love this season will determine the future of both him and AR. I believe Rodgers comes back, but we all have seen what can happen to a hold-out when they finally get back on the field. If he misses afeq games and Love shows potential, we have a good problem.
The Pack holds all the cards right now. They aren't gonna be dumb and trade themselves into a rebuild.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 May 2021 20:48
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
lake shark wrote:
Love isn't going to stink. He may never be MVP but he is going to win a lot of SB's. And that is what it is all about for fans like me. I could care less if the Packers QB gets the regular season MVP. I want to see the Packers with more points at the end or the Super Bowl again. I want Lombardi in GB again.
most optimistic Love Lover in the Galaxy :chuckle:

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Try this one instead.

:banana:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
lake shark wrote:

:rotf: :clap:

Wedding Singer I think.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 May 2021 20:48
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
lake shark wrote:
It would be great but if wins alot of superbowls high chance he gets a MVP