Rank the Roster 2021: #15

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 31 May 2021 12:56

Kevin King
4%
Jace Sternberger
No votes
Alan Lazard
4%
Dean Lowry
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
No votes
AJ Dillon
31%
Devin Funchess
No votes
Krys Barnes
12%
Eric Stokes
No votes
Josh Myers
No votes
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
38%
Kamal Martin
No votes
Lucas Patrick
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Amari Rodgers
No votes
Jordan Love
12%

Total votes: 26

Turk's B.B.C.
Reactions:

Post by Turk's B.B.C. »

I think Dillon is going to have a big year. After him, l'd say Barnes is close. Gotta cut him some slack for the club on his hand.
I'm not convinced that Exxon Valdes will even be on the final 53. The OTA skip is gonna shake up the WR room.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 May 2021 20:42
I am voting for Love.

After that Dillon because RB's should not play more than 50% of the snaps and he and Jones are both very good in different ways. With Love at QB, this is going to be a run-first offense.

After that Runyan because he is going to start and he looked decent as a rookie. Just not sure whether it will be at RG or LG.

Lazard is the #2WR. The first qualification for being a starting WR is to not to regularly drop catch-able passes and unlike another WR in this list, he doesn't. Also Lazard may be the best blocking WR in the league and since the Packers are going to be a run first team with a short passing game, no one is going to take Lazard's place as WR#2.
I vote for you as the most optimistic Love supporter in North America :grin: and thats a good thing, someone has to take a stand against all the doubters like me

as to your #2 WR position though, I think that will be sewn up pretty quick with Amari Rodgers, MLF's schemes scream for slot production, once Ervin and Austin crapped out, our offense while still potent ( what offenses wouldn't be with AR) hit a bump and Matt had to make do without a gadget player, I think we can bet that ARSS ( Amara Rodgers slotter supreme :dance: ) will get a huge amount of target throws, even more likely should Lovey be under center, it's a better WR room then it was last year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Turk's B.B.C. wrote:
29 May 2021 13:06
I think Dillon is going to have a big year. After him, l'd say Barnes is close. Gotta cut him some slack for the club on his hand.
I'm not convinced that Exxon Valdes will even be on the final 53. The OTA skip is gonna shake up the WR room.
Exxon Valdes :rotf: , hard to cut speed, ya can't really coach it, it's not really a learnable skill set, and those that have it are like prized possessions, I think your talking about MVS, right? if so the drops are something that can be taught to limit some, and simply getting better at getting in and out of his route breaks would also help him, I voted Dillon with this slot, with MVS next, but someone might make me reconsider.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Read an article today, we were number 3 in qb wr wr with Rodgers, adams and Lazard. :idn:
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Trudge wrote:
29 May 2021 15:55
Read an article today, we were number 3 in qb wr wr with Rodgers, adams and Lazard. :idn:
1. Adams 115 recep for 1374 yrds
2. MVS 33 " " 690 "
3. Tonyan 52 " 586
4. Lazard 33 " 451

Lazard will need to have a great season to over come MVS I think, plus Amari Rodgers will eat up a lot of targets that would have went to others, he could top 60 receps this year.

I think my WR stacking right now is

1 Adams
2 Amari Rodgers
3 Tonyan
4 MVS
5 Lazard????
6 Funchess ????

we'll see how accurate that is in TC

nice to see you posting more Trudge :aok:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

People being ready to crown a rookie slot receiver as WR2 is kinda weird, ngl.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
29 May 2021 19:18
People being ready to crown a rookie slot receiver as WR2 is kinda weird, ngl.
Slot receiver and WR#2 are 2 different positions.

Regarding MVS, yes, he made a lot of yards last season because Rodgers likes to pad his stats with long TD's and would rather take a 40% chance on a 60 yard TD as opposed to picking up a 3rd down and 4 yards with an 80% chance of success by throwing to Lazard or Tonyan. With Rodgers likely history, the Packers will be more concerned about picking up 1st downs.

I too am optimistic about Amari Rodgers and he is a good candidate for steal of the 2021 draft. But he is still a rookie and still a small slot receiver on a team that is going to be running the ball a lot. Assuming Love is the QB and the strategy is to run the ball and pass only enough to keep the D honest, who would you start? Love, Jones/Dillon, Adams, Lazard, Tonyan and Sternberger/Deguara? Or Love, Jones, Dillon, Adams, Lazard, Tonyan? Or Love, Jones/Dillon, Adams, Lazard, Rodgers, Tonyan? IMO, you start both Dillon and Jones or you start Tonyan and either Sternberger or Deguara. 5' 9" 210 RB's can't block a LB like a TE can and anything that Amari Rodgers can do Aaron Jones can do better.

A year from now Amari Rodgers is likely to be much more valuable. Love will have a solid year under his belt and the Packers will throw more and run less. A year from September WR#1, WR#2, Slot receiver and 1 TE is more practical.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Sorry, but none of that lumbering logic really tracks.

Having a lethal deep threat on the field makes the whole offense better. It's what allows those other guys you lost to pick up a short first down so much more easily. It opens things up and forces the defense to pay attention.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
30 May 2021 02:08

Having a lethal deep threat on the field makes the whole offense better. It's what allows those other guys you lost to pick up a short first down so much more easily. It opens things up and forces the defense to pay attention.
And if a D doesn't respect your deep threat and leaves him in 1-1 coverage with no safety help, you have to sometimes throw that way even if it's a lower % throw than shorter ones. Otherwise the threat doesn't work, and the Ds can keep their safeties more shallow and concentrate on taking away the shorter stuff. MVS certainly is an important chess piece in this O.

I am giddy to see Amari in action, tho. An actual specialized slot receiver was lacking from the stable of WRs. How much can he produce as a rookie? Depends on whether he's savvy enough to gain separation. Hard to know.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

salmar80 wrote:
30 May 2021 04:22
YoHoChecko wrote:
30 May 2021 02:08

And if a D doesn't respect your deep threat and leaves him in 1-1 coverage with no safety help, you have to sometimes throw that way even if it's a lower % throw than shorter ones. Otherwise the threat doesn't work, and the Ds can keep their safeties more shallow and concentrate on taking away the shorter stuff. MVS certainly is an important chess piece in this O.

I am giddy to see Amari in action, tho. An actual specialized slot receiver was lacking from the stable of WRs. How much can he produce as a rookie? Depends on whether he's savvy enough to gain separation. Hard to know.
As we all know, the Packers slot WR performance dropped off terribly when Cobb left. Aaron Rodgers is likely still miffed at the front office about that as well. These things add up ..... rationalizing these things can be controversial. Jared Cook's catch along the sideline vs. the Cowboys was epic. Randall Cobb's TD versus the Bears (the famous Kuhn block play) at Soldier Field was epic. And ever since, the Packers have struggled at TE and Slot WR. You need a receiving corp that clicks when you need them to click. Packers don't have that right now. What goes on inside in the building doesn't always stay inside the building.

Cautiously optimistic about having Tonyan, Amari, MVS and Davante getting the job done all season long (along with Jones and Dillon). Worried about our offensive tackle situation. Still have no faith in our defense to be Top 5. And Special Teams ........... sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

GO PACK GO!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
29 May 2021 19:54
Slot receiver and WR#2 are 2 different positions.
Cobb was our #2 WR for years, NE's slot receiver was there #1 for a decade.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

MVS over a possible/probably starting QB. Yowzers.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Packfntk wrote:
30 May 2021 13:46
Agreed. People are voting for the likely #5 receiver, over the starting QB

Plus MVS has the poorest hands of all the receivers. The last thing an inexperienced QB needs is a receiver that can't reliably catch anything except a perfect pass.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
30 May 2021 18:25
Packfntk wrote:
Agreed. People are voting for the likely #5 receiver, over the starting QB.
Your assumptions blow my mind.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

go pak go wrote:
30 May 2021 20:32
TheSkeptic wrote:
Packfntk wrote:
Which assumption is that? That Love will be starting in September? How is that any less likely than that Aaron Rodgers will be starting in Green Bay rather than in Denver or somewhere else? You don't seriously think that Bortles with a career passer rating of 80.6 is going to start, do you?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheSkeptic wrote:
31 May 2021 02:00
go pak go wrote:
30 May 2021 20:32
TheSkeptic wrote:

Which assumption is that? That Love will be starting in September? How is that any less likely than that Aaron Rodgers will be starting in Green Bay rather than in Denver or somewhere else? You don't seriously think that Bortles with a career passer rating of 80.6 is going to start, do you?
The other one
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I should explain my vote for MVS

I value the ROLE of the deep threat WR. I think that role makes an offense much better.

MVS is our deep threat WR. There is virtually no competition for that role on the roster. He is a lock to be our deep threat.

MVS is one of the better players in the league at that one trick. It’s all he’s got and even then, he blows his fair share of them. But he was tops in the league in yards per catch and top 5 in 40+ yard catches. That’s one rate stat and one volume stat that say he’s a top deep threat in the league.

If MVS does not improve his catching and his tracking and add some other tricks to his toolbox, I would like to find a new deep threat to challenge him on our roster. I understand the frustration with him as a player and the comments about whether or not he’s even our third best WR, let alone our second.

But he is DEFINITELY our best deep threat. And he’s definitely one of the league’s better deep threats. And our offense is definitely better with a good deep threat on the field.

So that’s the vote. There’s really no equivocation and I don’t even have to base it on projection, because MVS still could get much better. But he also might not. He may never. But it doesn’t matter.

This is the same logic by which I wanted to trade for Randy Moss even if the player we saw on the Raiders was all we’d get from him. Even if old Randy was never coming back. His deep threat acumen was enough to make the deal. Turned out old Randy was still in there and he was a dynamo in NE.

But you don’t need a dynamo. You need to throw a deep ball every possession or two to make the defense honor it AND to burn the defense occasionally on them. That’s what MVS does for us. The role is more important than some here give it credit for. If you have Adams, Lazard, and Rodgers on the field, the safeties can crowd the box. Adams can draw all the extra attention. The short game will be filled with traffic
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 31 May 2021 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

^^ Great post. I'm voting Dillon, myself, but I also think what MVS brings to the field is pretty underappreciated. Honestly, if he doesn't progress at all, I'd still consider that use of a 5th-round pick to be a success (but I sure hope he does because the sky is the limit for this guy and he's good people).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
31 May 2021 10:22
^^ Great post. I'm voting Dillon, myself, but I also think what MVS brings to the field is pretty underappreciated. Honestly, if he doesn't progress at all, I'd still consider that use of a 5th-round pick to be a success (but I sure hope he does because the sky is the limit for this guy and he's good people).
I'm curious if MVS has a 900 to 1,100 yard sesaon what his market will be for 2022. Like does his market reflect his first three years. Or would a semi "breakout" season make him really, really expensive?
Yoop wrote:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I want to start talking about Keke, I think he could take a step. I do worry about his availability though.

Big Dean should probably go soon, only 1 DL so far and Dean will get his snaps.

Also, I am more inclined to think the Packer would start Blake Bortles vs Love if it comes down to it, at least starting out.

By far most likely scenario is Rodgers eventually coming back. If not, I’d give an edge to Bortles starting. So Love isn’t really on my radar yet.

MVS does more than just stats though. He is a legit deep threat that changes how a D plays. Should he improve his catching, also Davante, he’s gunna have a monster year. He was awesome against Tampa, always give a few brownie points to those who step up in big moments.