Plant Your Flag

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Will Jordan Love be a successful QB for the Green Bay Packers?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 29

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
28 May 2021 16:18
Yoop wrote:
28 May 2021 15:25
Rodgers was 20 of 28 in 07 72% CPR why would anyone think he sucked? people that still wanted Favre had almost nothing to do with Rodgers play, Favre, like Rodgers now and probably still in 2022 or23 will still prefer Rodgers over Love, thats just how this stuff works out, when players are rookies or 2nd year players, they have to wow ya during minimum exposure.
Yeah. I guess it's just the personality type.

I'm always a planner, a forward looker. I'm an econ, finance and accounting major. Business consulting, working with business owners and CFO's, planning and forward looking is what I do.

So I guess when faced with a decision knowing full well it's going to likely be one or the other, I will take the younger guy.

I would have loved Favre in 2008. But if I was told that Rodgers would not be a Packer if Favre got the reigns in 2008...I'm taking Rodgers. Every single time. If I knew Rodgers would have been okay waiting one more...I'm going Brett for one more season.

My hope and wish was we would get Rodgers at minimum for 2021 and likely 2022. Honestly I never dreamed Rodgers being a Packer in 2021 would be a problem, but Rodgers decided to make a stink about this and threaten to take his ball and go home.

So now we are in a decision bind. If push comes to shove, I'm once again going with the young guy. But that is my personality. It ultimately comes down to I don't think the Packers can keep a roster as good as it had last year beyond this season. So I'd rather take my lumps with the young guy and start building for our next window.

I am just hoping Rodgers gives us one last Dance.
well you think like this I think mostly because your young, and don't take that as a insult, K, thats usually though how this stuff plays out, young ins are always kicking the aged old decrepids out the door, even though they built the dang door :lol:

I think with age comes ingenuity, once the physical skill start to diminish then the better player/smarter players figure out ( with the help of a smart innovative coach) how to game plan and execute wiser, thats what I meant before about Manning with Denver, and what Favre was unable to do with Minny, Favres physical ability was seldom good enough to over come his mental lapses, I hate to say this about that jack as s but he single handidly wiped out our chances in a half dozen big games with his late game blunders, like Rodgers, but much much worse, neither QB have been great when it matters most, so if thats our measuring point for success, we might as well start Love right away, and trade this over the hill, filthy tangled hair, face un shaven, quitar wannabe, dis respectable employee as soon as possible :rotf: :toke:

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 May 2021 15:59
Omg, yes. Was it Brunell they were thinking about or was he later? I forgot about that stuff.

I'm more of a systems thinker. There are dozens and dozens of untapped QBs whose elite talent never found its way into the right spot and earned the right recognition because something went wrong or differently. But they only exist in counterfactual universes, and so such a thought can never be more than conjecture, unprovable and unknown. :toke:
I have to assume they were considering Detmer because Brunell was a 5th round rookie in '93.

As to the luck factor, you may enjoy these:
Is Success Luck or Hard Work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LopI4YeC4I
The Role of Luck in Life Success Is Far Greater Than We Realized https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/be ... -realized/
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
28 May 2021 16:51
go pak go wrote:
28 May 2021 16:18
Yoop wrote:
28 May 2021 15:25
Rodgers was 20 of 28 in 07 72% CPR why would anyone think he sucked? people that still wanted Favre had almost nothing to do with Rodgers play, Favre, like Rodgers now and probably still in 2022 or23 will still prefer Rodgers over Love, thats just how this stuff works out, when players are rookies or 2nd year players, they have to wow ya during minimum exposure.
Yeah. I guess it's just the personality type.

I'm always a planner, a forward looker. I'm an econ, finance and accounting major. Business consulting, working with business owners and CFO's, planning and forward looking is what I do.

So I guess when faced with a decision knowing full well it's going to likely be one or the other, I will take the younger guy.

I would have loved Favre in 2008. But if I was told that Rodgers would not be a Packer if Favre got the reigns in 2008...I'm taking Rodgers. Every single time. If I knew Rodgers would have been okay waiting one more...I'm going Brett for one more season.

My hope and wish was we would get Rodgers at minimum for 2021 and likely 2022. Honestly I never dreamed Rodgers being a Packer in 2021 would be a problem, but Rodgers decided to make a stink about this and threaten to take his ball and go home.

So now we are in a decision bind. If push comes to shove, I'm once again going with the young guy. But that is my personality. It ultimately comes down to I don't think the Packers can keep a roster as good as it had last year beyond this season. So I'd rather take my lumps with the young guy and start building for our next window.

I am just hoping Rodgers gives us one last Dance.
well you think like this I think mostly because your young, and don't take that as a insult, K, thats usually though how this stuff plays out, young ins are always kicking the aged old decrepids out the door, even though they built the dang door :lol:

I think with age comes ingenuity, once the physical skill start to diminish then the better player/smarter players figure out ( with the help of a smart innovative coach) how to game plan and execute wiser, thats what I meant before about Manning with Denver, and what Favre was unable to do with Minny, Favres physical ability was seldom good enough to over come his mental lapses, I hate to say this about that jack as s but he single handidly wiped out our chances in a half dozen big games with his late game blunders, like Rodgers, but much much worse, neither QB have been great when it matters most, so if thats our measuring point for success, we might as well start Love right away, and trade this over the hill, filthy tangled hair, face un shaven, quitar wannabe, dis respectable employee as soon as possible :rotf: :toke:
Yeah that's not what I was talking about at all though.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 May 2021 16:13
Ok guys, screw the drama, @Yoop and I are just gonna get high and tell stories of Packers people we've met now.

Did y'all know that Ron Wolf moved to Annapolis, MD after he retired? I sold his family a set of Cutco knives.
I have one PSA certified piece of paper encapsulated in plastic with 5 Henry Jordan autographs on it that no one wants to pay me fair market value for. Life as a Packers fan can be cruel sometimes.
Lots of good pubs and coffee shops in Annapolis too.
:argue:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

i think that what mlf and bg needs.to do
is paly jordan love more in things like
preseason.and blowouts.they need to
give thekid achance so we can see
if he will become a PILAR of the GB
franchise.all i know is COMEON BG!!

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

In all seriousness though, if I had to bet then I would bet yes. MLF comes from the same system as Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay, and they took Jimmy G and Jared Goff to the Super Bowl. And in all honesty Jimmy G should have won it. So, I have enough trust in MLF to say that he probably doesn't even need a good QB to succeed. Rodgers was ass in 2019, and an MVP in 2020, and there was no difference in the result. I don't know if Love is going to actually be good or not, but if he's the starter for an MLF offense, he's more likely than not to succeed.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

texas wrote:
01 Jun 2021 01:10
In all seriousness though, if I had to bet then I would bet yes. MLF comes from the same system as Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay, and they took Jimmy G and Jared Goff to the Super Bowl. And in all honesty Jimmy G should have won it. So, I have enough trust in MLF to say that he probably doesn't even need a good QB to succeed. Rodgers was ass in 2019, and an MVP in 2020, and there was no difference in the result. I don't know if Love is going to actually be good or not, but if he's the starter for an MLF offense, he's more likely than not to succeed.
What about the titans

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

texas wrote:
01 Jun 2021 01:05
Classic.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
01 Jun 2021 02:39
texas wrote:
What about the titans
Marcus Marriota went from a career 62% passer to a 68% passer. Not the best outcomes otherwise, but a massive increase in accuracy like that is fairly rare. Plus Marriota was playing on a bum elbow and only had one year in the scheme. Rodgers was still putting up meh numbers in his first year in.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

texas wrote:

Read More. Post Less.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lupedafiasco wrote:
01 Jun 2021 02:48
texas wrote:
Classic.
Anyone who's not OG Julie's World is wondering what the heck is going on here lol

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

bud fox wrote:
texas wrote:
What about the titans
MLF not HC so therefore invalid

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

texas wrote:
02 Jun 2021 00:25
bud fox wrote:
texas wrote:
What about the titans
MLF not HC so therefore invalid
I have been wondering about this. Does LaFleur deserve any credit for laying the foundation for Arthur Smith's ascension to HC or the career resurrection of Ryan Tannehill? Arthur Smith's background is really interesting and there is no strong offensive influence in his background other than Mike Mularkey, Ken Whisenhunt, and Matt LaFleur. Given the struggles of those Titan offenses over the years, is it safe to say Matt LaFleur was a big influence? LaFleur needed two years in GB to really get the offense clicking. Did he just not have enough time in Tennessee to really put his stamp on it? I tend to think so.

I found one article that certainly suggests that.
New Falcons head coach Arthur Smith was with the Titans for the better part of a decade; however, his system is unique. Working under former Titans offensive coordinator and now Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has profoundly affected Smith’s own scheme.
https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-b ... s-offense/

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

texas wrote:
I don't know if Love is going to actually be good or not, but if he's the starter for an MLF offense, he's more likely than not to succeed.
I think what you probably mean is that success is not dependent on the QB being MVP level, but more dependent on its supporting parts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
02 Jun 2021 09:26
texas wrote:
I don't know if Love is going to actually be good or not, but if he's the starter for an MLF offense, he's more likely than not to succeed.
I think what you probably mean is that success is not dependent on the QB being MVP level, but more dependent on its supporting parts.
depends on what level of success is wanted, as was noted, not many SB winners won with average QB play.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:00
Acrobat wrote:
texas wrote:
depends on what level of success is wanted, as was noted, not many SB winners won with average QB play.
Oh we'd need better than average for sure, but we can still win a title without MVP caliber QB play. 3 of the last 6 Super Bowl champs have won without elite QB play.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:14
Yoop wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:00
Acrobat wrote:

Oh we'd need better than average for sure, but we can still win a title without MVP caliber QB play. 3 of the last 6 Super Bowl champs have won without elite QB play.
they won because every other facet of there teams was top 5 in the league, and all 3 where well above average QB's, this idea that ya can win without great QB's is dubious at best, so many other things have to go near perfect for that stuff to work.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:27
they won because every other facet of there teams was top 5 in the league, and all 3 where well above average QB's, this idea that ya can win without great QB's is dubious at best, so many other things have to go near perfect for that stuff to work.
As is having a top ten all-time QB "carrying" the team. Hasn't really worked out that well for us. I suppose you'll tell me that's because the rest of the team wasn't good enough. So, isn't the point between your contention and mine that we need a good team around the QB no matter what?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:30
Yoop wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:27
As is having a top ten all-time QB "carrying" the team. Hasn't really worked out that well for us. I suppose you'll tell me that's because the rest of the team wasn't good enough. So, isn't the point between your contention and mine that we need a good team around the QB no matter what?
you insult me by thinking I wouldn't think that, the point is obviously that the Odds are better with that top 10 QB no matter what the situation is with the rest of the team.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
02 Jun 2021 10:30
So, isn't the point between your contention and mine that we need a good team around the QB no matter what?
This is where the rubber meets the road. Exactly.

I wish we knew a LIITLE more about Love so we could make the calculation, like: ok, the team is good enough to win around Rodgers. How much better does the team need to be to win with Jordan Love?

Is it Jerry Juedy, Patrick Surtain, and a veteran ILB away from being able to win with Love? Is it those guys AND Julio Jones away from being able to win with Love? Is it a more proven OC or more OT depth away from being able to win with Jordan Love?

Only when we have a baseline for Love as a player (Is he Jimmy G? Andy Dalton? Teddy Bridgewater? Goff? Derek Carr? Josh Allen?) can we evaluate what the talent level around him needs to be to field a championship-contending team. And then ask for that in return for Aaron Rodgers.

Without knowing Love's baseline (which we, and the team, has no way to know for sure until preseason at the earliest), then there is no known value for an Aaron Rodgers trade; hence the team's position that it will not trade him. There is no price because the appropriate value cannot yet be assessed.