OTAs

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:33
For the record, I am still of the opinion that this is a good thing in the developmental arc of a QB::

Yeah, I did some thinking about that, too. It has to almost be scripted.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:36
I mean, obviously, at some point, you HAVE to start trusting yourself, making the right read and getting it down the field. At some point. We're at his first ever OTAs, so I'm not at that point. I am excited that he is taking to coaching, being patient, making reads, and willing to keep the chains moving with a checkdown when he doesn't trust that a bigger play is there.

What was Tua's big "drawback" last year... checkdowns, short throws, etc. When Matty Ice burst onto the scene as a rookie and was successful but quickly earned the nickname "captain checkdown." When Brady first started in New England and everyone said "anyone can dink and dunk it down the field."

This is how QBs who are smart adjust the the speed of the game. They take what they know and what is safe while they adjust and learn. The longer they're in the offense and in the league, the easier those other throws get--especially when you have the obvious arm talent for it. Just let the kid live. And while he's living, I'm glad to see he's choosing "live to see another down" rather than "live and let die"

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

But like 6 reporters are definitely going to press MLF on why Love's not making longer throws today, so I guess we'll see what he has to say, haha

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:39
NCF wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:36
I mean, obviously, at some point, you HAVE to start trusting yourself, making the right read and getting it down the field. At some point. We're at his first ever OTAs, so I'm not at that point. I am excited that he is taking to coaching, being patient, making reads, and willing to keep the chains moving with a checkdown when he doesn't trust that a bigger play is there.

What was Tua's big "drawback" last year... checkdowns, short throws, etc. When Matty Ice burst onto the scene as a rookie and was successful but quickly earned the nickname "captain checkdown." When Brady first started in New England and everyone said "anyone can dink and dunk it down the field."

This is how QBs who are smart adjust the the speed of the game. They take what they know and what is safe while they adjust and learn. The longer they're in the offense and in the league, the easier those other throws get--especially when you have the obvious arm talent for it. Just let the kid live. And while he's living, I'm glad to see he's choosing "live to see another down" rather than "live and let die"
Yep. And in this offense... I suppose a lot of offenses, they have the built in shot plays where it's one read and you drive the ball down the field. Let the scheme and the play call dictate some of that. But, yes, obviously, you are right... eventually, you have to know when to hold 'em or fold 'em.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:46
Convinced, he will now be out starting QB this year AND will have a successful career. :lol: :beer2: :thwap: :hide:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:47
BF004 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 12:46
Convinced, he will now be out starting QB this year AND will have a successful career. :lol: :beer2: :thwap: :hide:
Well duh. We have our slot.

Been saying for the last 7 years we need a good slot so our offense will be better for this MLF offense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Rodger's biggest flaw basically his whole career is poor use of checkdowns and easy plays in favor of kill shots. Sure it works out occasionally, but on net it usually is by far a negative. Especially when it leads to him taking a ton of unnecessary sacks and killing drives when the checkdown plays were there.

9 times out of 10 when a QB is checking down "too much" its within the larger context of a QB having a "noodle arm". Rarely ever are QB's with cannons faulted for excessive checkdowns. Its one of those things a lot of gums are flapped about.

Like Yoho, I think its a good thing, a very good thing, that he's checking it down and playing the short game.

Love's deep ball and arm strength have never been in question.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yeah it's kind of funny, right?

Jordan Love in 2018: Wow, this kid looks legit! With another season like this, he's in the conversation at the top of the draft!

His coach, OL, and some spare parts around the offense depart...

Jordan Love in 2019: Woah, I see the arm talent, but man, he is making terrible decisions. Just forcing the ball into places he has no right trying to force it; too many turnovers

Jordan Love in 2020.... .... .........

Jordan Love in 2021: ONLY checkdowns? Short game? What is wrong with him? Why so cautious?

Like, come on! Being cautious and making better decisions and erring on the side of NOT forcing it is exactly what we need to see from this guy after 2019. Yes, we need to see, over time, his processing speed increase to the point that we know he CAN make good decisions in a timely manner. But for now? This is explicitly addressing the problems with his 2019 college tape. To me it is pure good.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I would say also the fact that our top WRs are out and we have the backups against our #1 DBs might be a reason for more check downs.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Pckfn23 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 13:10
I would say also the fact that our top WRs are out and we have the backups against our #1 DBs might be a reason for more check downs.
Its too bad we let Kumerow walk, he'd be smoking Alexander, making him look silly.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Ok, so...

Love was 7 of 10 in two different segments last week and 10 of 17 this week

That's 24 for 37, about 65% competion... mostly short, mostly checkdowns, often to RBs.

Makes sense since it is his first OTAs and since we have no WRs worth a dang.

Sounds like Bailey Gaither (both the diving deep ball from Bortles and a 3rd and long conversion from Love) is making the best of his time as a :::checks sheet::: starter?

Sounds like Malik Taylor... isn't? (nothing bad, just in a group of guys who have never played an NFL game before you want your 3rd year to be mentioned)

Seems like Summers is ILB2 so far

Seems like Stokes can cover the heck out of practice squad receivers, which doesn't mean much but it might mean something if he couldn't.

Sounds like Savage still hasn't played a snap at "star"

Seems like our OT depth is as dire as we feared because a second-year practice squad guard is in our LT rotation

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

AJ Dillon presser beginning now.

Spoff has the first question. I'll be interested to see if the reporters from Gannet outlets ask players more about themselves than others. I reached out to one of my best friend's dad's who works in that newsroom and told her to tell him to tell them to be a little more respectful of these guys and at least START by asking them about themselves.

But al long as Spoff and Wes get first questions, no way of knowing about it

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

#CheckDownGate narrative has officially begun.

Any know what songs they were playing today?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
02 Jun 2021 13:20
AJ Dillon presser beginning now.
Very pro-Love presser. Kind of fun to get his perspective being he is not a long time vet. Really like the discussion around Love's competitiveness. Obviously, that is probably trait #1 that makes Aaron, Aaron.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

AJ Dillon seems like a fun guy.

But also, there's something dampening about the coolness of nicknames and branding stuff like "quadfather" or "quadzilla" when middle aged white guys are asking you about it.

He does say that Jordan Love is starting to feel enough confidence to have fun and enjoy himself out there, which he sees as a key step that took him a lot longer to get to

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

MLF up now... seems like Tonyan was already going live in a different conference/zoom room, so I'll have to catch that later

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

BF004 wrote:
02 Jun 2021 13:23
#CheckDownGate narrative has officially begun.

Any know what songs they were playing today?
Ch-Check It Down - Beastie Boys
Check It Out (I Checked It Down remix) - John Mellencamp
Take It All In and Check It All Down - Bill Withers
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Oh we got the checkdown question.

MLF "I want him to do whatever the read tells him"

"read with your feet"

today was first competitive session that wasn't 7-on-7, offense doing some learning; wasn't the best day for the offense, but that's normal for the defense to be ahead of the offense this time of year

"He's attacking it the right way. The focus is there. The work ethic is there"