Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
04 Jun 2021 14:57
go pak go wrote:
04 Jun 2021 14:04
YoHoChecko wrote:
04 Jun 2021 13:43

Like 9 times out of ten, I'm in total agreement here, but I REALLY like his coaching staff. They might develop into a team in spite of him.

Though I do love Ted Lasso, glad to get that shoutout in there
And I LOVED their draft. They are building the Lions the right way. Those lines are going to be SICK. Even if they suck this year who cares. Get their QB in 2022 and this team could be amazing pretty quick.
Any team who's plan involves starting to look for a new QB next offseason is nowhere close to amazing.
not sure I understand you, this game revolves around fan appeal, typically the first thing a new GM does is find his QB unless in inherits one as Guty did ( thats why it bums me out that he decided to take one a year ago), point I'am trying to make is Fans like QB's more then any other player, thats one reason for GM's to take them, all 3 of Wolf, Thompson, did it there first off season, Guty his 3rd.

I must have mis understood your post :idn:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
04 Jun 2021 16:02
I must have mis understood your post
Pretty sure he means if you already know you have crap, then planning to look for a new one next season is already a year too late. Plenty of argument that the Packers were too early, but when you look at the alternative... you never, ever want to be too late.

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
04 Jun 2021 16:59
Yoop wrote:
04 Jun 2021 16:02
I must have mis understood your post
Pretty sure he means if you already know you have crap, then planning to look for a new one next season is already a year too late. Plenty of argument that the Packers were too early, but when you look at the alternative... you never, ever want to be too late.
The irony. So we’ve been late on linebackers for a decade plus.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

WR Julio Jones traded to the Titans.
Atlanta gets Tennessee’s second-round pick in 2022 and fourth-round pick in 2023. The Titans get Jones and Atlanta’s sixth-round pick in 2023.

--

The Titans will also need to do a little salary-cap magic to absorb Jones’ $15.3 million charge foe 2021.
Atlanta didn't quite get the 1st rounder they were rumored to be waiting for. That cap charge was near-impossible for the Packers.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

salmar80 wrote:
06 Jun 2021 13:45
Atlanta didn't quite get the 1st rounder they were rumored to be waiting for. That cap charge was near-impossible* for the Packers.
*without Rodgers' help

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jun 2021 17:57
salmar80 wrote:
Atlanta didn't quite get the 1st rounder they were rumored to be waiting for. That cap charge was near-impossible* for the Packers.
*without Rodgers' help
Why Rodgers? If the other players want to win should they not also be willing to sacrifice money or just Rodgers? Albeit a percentage is probably the most equitable and you probably put a floor on the players who would commit.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
06 Jun 2021 18:40
YoHoChecko wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
*without Rodgers' help
Why Rodgers? If the other players want to win should they not also be willing to sacrifice money or just Rodgers? Albeit a percentage is probably the most equitable and you probably put a floor on the players who would commit.
Nothing about sacrifice. A simple restructure could open up like $14 million this year if he said yes to it.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
salmar80 wrote:
*without Rodgers' help
Not about sacrificing money, would just be restructuring to free up dollars this year.

Given our current 2022 outlook at the moment, like 30 million over the cap (worst in the nfl). Not sure id wanna kick another 5 million of Aaron’s money back and figure out how to fit Julio Jones AND Davante Adams onto the 2022 cap. Be approaching like 60 million over the cap, lol.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yeah my bad.

Does seem unlikely considering he allegedly won't sign the biggest extension of all time.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
06 Jun 2021 18:52
Yeah my bad.

Does seem unlikely considering he allegedly won't sign the biggest extension of all time.
Oh yeah, totally unlikely; just pointing out that the spate between the team has a tangible effect on the quality of the team in terms of limiting options and flexibility. Just another way to point out how self-defeating the strategy is if winning is what matters most; but it makes sense as a strategy if, say, your pride matters more than winning.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jun 2021 19:07
bud fox wrote:
06 Jun 2021 18:52
Yeah my bad.

Oh yeah, totally unlikely; just pointing out that the spate between the team has a tangible effect on the quality of the team in terms of limiting options and flexibility. Just another way to point out how self-defeating the strategy is if winning is what matters most; but it makes sense as a strategy if, say, your pride matters more than winning.
Kinda.

Convert salary into bonus and spread that over later years? If he retires would he need to pay back the bonus? I assume so. Not a great deal for Rodgers.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah... I would not have been willing to give up what it would have taken to get Julio, or liked the move if we made it, considering.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't deny that Jones would have added a pretty dangerous element to our offense and made us a better team in our push to get a trophy. In terms of positions I want to see us upgrade, WR2 is not really high on that list, least of all a 32 year old receiver. ILB, DL, even CB would be way ahead of those for me. And I wouldn't like how our cap/FA would likely be affected by it going forward, save only for the fact that our WRs other than Rodgers all hit the market and he'd at least give us something there. Still, much more interested in retaining Jaire, t'Onion, extending Jenkins, then hanging onto Gary, Savage...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Julio Jones improves the team but I dont think he makes that much of a difference between whether we win or not. This team needs to be better on defense. They need to be more consistent vs the run and covering RBs and TEs. This was the #1 offense in the league. They arent the problem. Defense still wins championships and this hasnt been a championship defense.

Will Stokes be the difference? Time will tell. I still dont think they are good enough at DT or LB. Clark can be way more disruptive with a running mate. Maybe Slaton will be a rookie sensation but the odds are against him.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
06 Jun 2021 21:00
Defense still wins championships and this hasnt been a championship defense.

Will Stokes be the difference? Time will tell. I still dont think they are good enough at DT or LB. Clark can be way more disruptive with a running mate. Maybe Slaton will be a rookie sensation but the odds are against him.
I honestly think the difference in the run defense will be formational.

We ran dime an absurd amount. We ALWAYS had one more DB that the offensive personnel required us to have. Part of that was because a 3rd safety was often better than a 2nd ILB on our roster, which may or may not remain true this year. But a lot of that is 2-man DLs, as well. That's why the coordinator got fired. If you're struggling to stop the run and lead the league in dime usage, you change the play calls and/or the scheme.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jun 2021 21:03
lupedafiasco wrote:

We ran dime an absurd amount. We ALWAYS had one more DB that the offensive personnel required us to have. Part of that was because a 3rd safety was often better than a 2nd ILB on our roster, which may or may not remain true this year. But a lot of that is 2-man DLs, as well. That's why the coordinator got fired. If you're struggling to stop the run and lead the league in dime usage, you change the play calls and/or the scheme.
I agree pretty heavily. Teams like Tennessee and Minnesota that are run heavy, we have shut down pretty well in the past. Then, this year, against the Vikings at home, Pettine sat in dime all day. Why? I will never know. Deathly afraid that Cousins would hit a deep ball with the wind at his back...? Regardless, games where we were gashed like that are partly due to the fact that we did nothing to try to stop it. I feel confident in saying that because the last two times we played relatively the same Vikings team we shut that &%$@ down.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
06 Jun 2021 21:03
lupedafiasco wrote:

who was our last 3 dn lber that was pretty good both in coverage and stopping the run? I'am thinking Barnett, and that is a travesty, I agree formational change would help, but if your going use a 50 front, you need more then one player that can drop and cover, or the defense will know whats coming, ya can't rush 5 guys to much this is still a pass first league.

hardly any teams now use a lot of in line TE, and lbers that can cover big fast TE's are few, same against RB's, everyone since that Barnett era are mismatched against them and lack agility and speed.

imho we lack the players to man up for either the run or the pass unless we platoon, and that makes it easier for offense to lock us into one set of players with no huddle and attack our poorly matched up players against what we have not been able to switch out to gain better match ups, and this imo has been a ongoing issue for a decade.

almost every year we use high draft capitol on CB, edge rushers, and finally a safety, and re rinse ILB with mid or undrafted FA, players that rarely have any instinctual ability to play the position at this level, first thing I'd do is send every scout we have to some sort of lber school so they know what to look for ina ILB, I know that sounds stupid, but so is all of the misses since Barnetts time.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

The "our LBers aren't good enough" argument does not hold up as an explanation of these choices when the alternative was putting Will Redmond on the field. He is also not good enough.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Jun 2021 18:47
bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:

*without Rodgers' help
Not about sacrificing money, would just be restructuring to free up dollars this year.

Given our current 2022 outlook at the moment, like 30 million over the cap (worst in the nfl). Not sure id wanna kick another 5 million of Aaron’s money back and figure out how to fit Julio Jones AND Davante Adams onto the 2022 cap. Be approaching like 60 million over the cap, lol.
There is no way in h*** Gutey would trade for Julio even if he had tons of cap space. We would hear tremendous buzz that the “Packers are interested in Julio” and then he would go somewhere else.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Jun 2021 08:13
The "our LBers aren't good enough" argument does not hold up as an explanation of these choices when the alternative was putting Will Redmond on the field. He is also not good enough.
of course it does, we haven't had a good coverage lber since Barnett, we constantly use a alternatives to do the job who are liability's against the run, true a 5 man front might be the answer, but that still doesn't solve the coverage problems.

Will Redmond was a answer to coverage issues, thats why he was put in.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

all this talk about a player that had about as much chance of being a player for as Skeptic, :idn: