Whose Side Are You On?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Whose Side

Aaron Rodgers
22%
The Front Office
78%

Total votes: 32

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:37
lupedafiasco wrote:
08 Jun 2021 05:22
How would you feel if your employer no longer believed in you?
Wait, you guys have had employers that believed in you? And treated you like a human being and not an asset? :lol:
I've worked for my employer for 12 years. They still don't remember where I live or what my job is. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Drj820 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:35
Drj820 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:33

Oh I think he wants to win another MVP in '21 or '22. He just doesnt want Murphy or Gute to recieve any profit or credit for it. He wants to win that award elsewhere.
If that's really the truth, then I don't want Rodgers playing another snap for the Packers.
I do because I want to have the best chance to win a super bowl in 2021 on the field.
Success is the perfect blend of execution and attitude though. If his attitude sucks and the team implodes, that's an issue.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Acrobat wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:42
Drj820 wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:35

If that's really the truth, then I don't want Rodgers playing another snap for the Packers.
I do because I want to have the best chance to win a super bowl in 2021 on the field.
Success is the perfect blend of execution and attitude though. If his attitude sucks and the team implodes, that's an issue.
I agree with both of you. I want Aaron here, but he has to be all in. Can't let poison into the locker room. He has to be OK with being a lame duck or it would be irresponsible to let him come back.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:32
Drj820 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:21
My point in saying this is that...yes, the FO did give up on Rodgers when they drafted Love. Yes, that move was egregious and the cause for all this. No, it was NOT justified. Yes, if Love stinks then heads must roll. The FO started thinking anyone could win at QB under Lafleur and they got tired of dealing with Rodgers Diva ways..well now they get to see if they should have just dealt with him.

Again..that said..Rodgers signed the deal and he should have demanded to sign a deal that he could live with at the time he demanded a new contract.
First, yes, I agree so much with the last statement.

Second, I have only really seen @Waldo come to a similar stance, but I DO NOT believe the Packers bet against Aaron Rodgers. They covered their bases and drafted a QB in the 1st-round. Traditional sense says that guy HAS to play. Does he? Why? If Rodgers keeps the job and Jordan Love never plays a snap that is a wasted 1st-round pick. So what? Then Love is Datone Jones. He's Dumbarious Randall. He's Harrell. He's Sherrod. You can find good players throughout The Draft, but no position is more difficult than QB. When you have a chance and have the conviction, you have to pull the trigger and live with the consequences. Again, so what?
lots of stuff can go against our success, which could be Rodgers success, or we could win a SB and in turn the FO decides to move on from costly contracts and go into rebuild mode to some degree, to say Rodgers should just accpet that he is on basically one year deals and will keep his job as long as he is the best QB for the job is a complete unknown, specially after the GM brought in his replacement, and the chances that we could have drafted a player comparable to LOve next year is that we probably could have, rating all these QB's to show Love was a steel in that draft is so ambiguous to what we see year after year, I don't buy that at all.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:58
NCF wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:21
My point in saying this is that...yes, the FO did give up on Rodgers when they drafted Love. Yes, that move was egregious and the cause for all this. No, it was NOT justified. Yes, if Love stinks then heads must roll. The FO started thinking anyone could win at QB under Lafleur and they got tired of dealing with Rodgers Diva ways..well now they get to see if they should have just dealt with him.

Again..that said..Rodgers signed the deal and he should have demanded to sign a deal that he could live with at the time he demanded a new contract.

Second, I have only really seen @Waldo come to a similar stance, but I DO NOT believe the Packers bet against Aaron Rodgers. They covered their bases and drafted a QB in the 1st-round. Traditional sense says that guy HAS to play. Does he? Why? If Rodgers keeps the job and Jordan Love never plays a snap that is a wasted 1st-round pick. So what? Then Love is Datone Jones. He's Dumbarious Randall. He's Harrell. He's Sherrod. You can find good players throughout The Draft, but no position is more difficult than QB. When you have a chance and have the conviction, you have to pull the trigger and live with the consequences. Again, so what?
lots of stuff can go against our success, which could be Rodgers success, or we could win a SB and in turn the FO decides to move on from costly contracts and go into rebuild mode to some degree, to say Rodgers should just accpet that he is on basically one year deals and will keep his job as long as he is the best QB for the job is a complete unknown, specially after the GM brought in his replacement, and the chances that we could have drafted a player comparable to LOve next year is that we probably could have, rating all these QB's to show Love was a steel in that draft is so ambiguous to what we see year after year, I don't buy that at all.
But maybe the Packers scouts were so high on Love that they truly think he's the guy for the next 10-15 years after Rodgers retires. Hard to blame them if that's the case. Sure maybe they could have called Rodgers, sent him flowers, licked his toes, etc. but ultimately it's a business. If we don't have a replacement for Rodgers and the team sucks for the next 10 years, that's devastating to the franchise and city.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
I, too, am in this camp; not quite as strongly as [mention]Waldo[/mention], but still definitely there.

The Patriots drafted Jimmy G in the second round and Tom Brady bristled, played well, won some Super Bowls, and Jimmy G wound up getting traded. That was EASILY as likely an outcome as Rodgers being traded right up until Rodgers threw this hissy fit.

The notion that drafting Love set off an immovable, pre-determined path of QB succession is nonsense. It set off a possible succession plan, but left all options on the table. And there is nothing egregious about it.

Also, the idea that they traded up for a first-round QB under the idea that "anyone could play QB" for this team is absolutely foolish. If that were the case they'd have waited on Jacob Eason in the 3rd.
Last edited by YoHoChecko on 08 Jun 2021 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
is a complete unknown
Life is a complete unknown, [mention]Yoop[/mention]. I don't care if you don't buy it and the Packers should not care if Aaron doesn't buy it.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:47
Acrobat wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I agree with both of you. I want Aaron here, but he has to be all in. Can't let poison into the locker room. He has to be OK with being a lame duck or it would be irresponsible to let him come back.
I think maybe i wasnt clear. I think RIGHT NOW Rodgers wants to win an MVP in '21 or '22 for another team and not Murphy. However, if he was to come back and put on our uniform then I think he would have lost his battle and it would be time try to not waste a year, not tarnish his legacy, and go try to win. I dont think he wants to win anything that the FO can take credit for right now, but if he comes back I do not expect him to sand bag or intentionally sabotage the team.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:03
That was EASILY as likely an outcome as Rodgers being traded right up until Rodgers threw this hissy fit.

The notion that drafting Love set off an immovable, pre-determined path of QB succession is nonsense.
And that is why the timing of this makes no sense to me. If this was all about Aaron being pissed that the Packers drafted Jordan Love, wouldn't this hissy fit have come last year?

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:02
Yoop wrote:
NCF wrote:

But maybe the Packers scouts were so high on Love that they truly think he's the guy for the next 10-15 years after Rodgers retires. Hard to blame them if that's the case. Sure maybe they could have called Rodgers, sent him flowers, licked his toes, etc. but ultimately it's a business. If we don't have a replacement for Rodgers and the team sucks for the next 10 years, that's devastating to the franchise and city.
seriously how could they possibly know that, 50% are basically busts, and of the other 50% only about 10% are above average starters.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:04
NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 08:47
Acrobat wrote:

I think maybe i wasnt clear. I think RIGHT NOW Rodgers wants to win an MVP in '21 or '22 for another team and not Murphy. However, if he was to come back and put on our uniform then I think he would have lost his battle and it would be time try to not waste a year, not tarnish his legacy, and go try to win. I dont think he wants to win anything that the FO can take credit for right now, but if he comes back I do not expect him to sand bag or intentionally sabotage the team.
Right, I got it. My response was a long-winded way of saying if Rodgers backs down and comes back, I think we are all set for 2021.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

YoHoChecko wrote:
NCF wrote:
I, too, am in this camp; not quite as strongly as @Waldo, but still definitely there.

The Patriots drafted Jimmy G in the early second round and Tom Brady bristled, played well, won some Super Bowls, and Jimmy G wound up getting traded. That was EASILY as likely an outcome as Rodgers being traded right up until Rodgers threw this hissy fit.

The notion that drafting Love set off an immovable, pre-determined path of QB succession is nonsense. It set off a possible succession plan, but left all options on the table. And there is nothing egregious about it.

Also, the idea that they traded up for a first-round QB under the idea that "anyone could play QB" for this team is absolutely foolish. If that were the case they'd have waited on Jacob Eason in the 3rd.
I can 3rd this as well and that's been one of my main arguments. If Jordan Love never plays a snap with the Packers because Rodgers gives us 5 more years of MVP level QB play, then do we really care that much? I mean, yeah, it'll be considered a "bust" draft pick. Every GM has those, even the elite ones. But we can draft another QB 3 years from now. I just wish Rodgers would cut the crap out and show up. Seems like the Packers want him long term, so again, I just don't see what the issue is.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:07
seriously how could they possibly know that, 50% are basically busts, and of the other 50% only about 10% are above average starters.
They obviously don't know that. No one does. Scouting is not an exact science and never has been.

Read More. Post Less.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

Yoop wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Yoop wrote:

Same logic is that we don't know how much longer Rodgers is going to be elite. History proves that QB's generally hit a wall around 40, with Brady being the one exception. So you gotta play your cards accordingly.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Acrobat wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:08
Seems like the Packers want him long term
This, I am not so sure of. This is one of [mention]Yoop[/mention]'s big gripes, but I think it's pretty clear that the Packers want year-to-year flexibility to transition whenever they see the best fit... next year, the year after, or never. It is crystal clear that the organizational stance is that they DO want him back this year, though.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:05
YoHoChecko wrote:
That was EASILY as likely an outcome as Rodgers being traded right up until Rodgers threw this hissy fit.

The notion that drafting Love set off an immovable, pre-determined path of QB succession is nonsense.
And that is why the timing of this makes no sense to me. If this was all about Aaron being pissed that the Packers drafted Jordan Love, wouldn't this hissy fit have come last year?
He didn't have the leverage last year because the last time he played awesome was the 2nd half in Week 1 2018 and before that one good game vs Dallas in 2017 and before that the 2016 Run the Table.

Rodgers legitimately only had a 4 game stretch in 2015, a 6 game stretch in 2016 and a good playoff game vs Seattle in 2020.

He just didn't have the leverage to do anything until after the 2020 season. And honestly I do applaud him for being self aware enough to recognize that.

But I still find this whole spat one year too early and don't understand why he is poisoning a really, really good shot at getting a Lombardi trophy this year.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:10
Acrobat wrote:
This, I am not so sure of. This is one of @Yoop's big gripes, but I think it's pretty clear that the Packers want year-to-year flexibility to transition whenever they see the best fit... next year, the year after, or never. It is crystal clear that the organizational stance is that they DO want him back this year, though.
Yeah, early in the process guys like Andrew Brandt and some others seemed to indicate that the Packers were not willing to make guarantees that really ensured his place beyond the next two years ('21 and '22), while Rodgers wanted at least three (through the end of his contract in '23)

Willink
Reactions:

Post by Willink »

I like how last season has caused people to memory hole Rodgers lackadaisical play in 2018 and 2019, where he refused to target the middle of the field, threw the ball away a million times and pouted.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:09
Yoop wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Same logic is that we don't know how much longer Rodgers is going to be elite. History proves that QB's generally hit a wall around 40, with Brady being the one exception. So you gotta play your cards accordingly.
OK, but Rodgers in no way appeared to be slowing down last year or really the year before in MLF's new offense, and prior the whole offense was a complete mess.

I think this has to do with a culmination of events, first the big contract given by Murphy, and then a year later Guty up and drafting Love with out even a heads up to Rodgers, instead of a month or so prior to the draft telling Rodgers we may take a QB if the draft falls a certain way as so many other GMs have reportedly done, out of the blue he trades a 4th to move up 4 spots to take Love.

obviously we scout all positions, QB included, so Guty new long before the draft who Love was, there has been a ton of defense concerning taking Love, but he was not needed, and according to Rodgers play wouldn't be for years barring a season ender injury, it wasn't so much the drafting of a back up to groom, it was the manure I think it was done that boiled Rodgers.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 09:10
Acrobat wrote:
This, I am not so sure of. This is one of @Yoop's big gripes, but I think it's pretty clear that the Packers want year-to-year flexibility to transition whenever they see the best fit... next year, the year after, or never. It is crystal clear that the organizational stance is that they DO want him back this year, though.
And that is the issue. There it is for those that are still unsure. Rodgers feels he has earned the right to not play year to year. He wants security for several years without ever having to look over his back or consider that he may be traded, cut, or replaced.

His concern may be unreasonable, but that is obviously the issue.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur