Whose Side Are You On?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Whose Side

Aaron Rodgers
22%
The Front Office
78%

Total votes: 32

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Aaron Rodgers made such a huge leap in year 2 because Aaron Rodgers decided to get back to playing at an elite level, coupled with more time in the system. Competent/average in 2019 wasn't worth what he was getting paid and is a solid reason behind the pick of Love. Rodgers' play had regressed and with his age getting up there, there was questions about him regaining form. Fortunately he did regain his form last season.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:01
Aaron Rodgers made such a huge leap in year 2 because Aaron Rodgers decided to get back to playing at an elite level, coupled with more time in the system. Competent/average in 2019 wasn't worth what he was getting paid and is a solid reason behind the pick of Love. Rodgers' play had regressed and with his age getting up there, there was questions about him regaining form. Fortunately he did regain his form last season.
He just decided to play at an elite level? So in 2019 he actively decided not to?

I figured he was an older QB in a brand new system and there was an adjustment period as he learned the new system. Same adjustment period the rest of his teammates went through.

Competent QB play is good qb play for year one in a new system. Its not as easy as you think to change everything you have ever done and execute something new in year one. You didnt see Godgers much in 2019, you saw better than a large majority of the league could have done with the talent around him all learning something new.

Rodgers made Lafluers life easier in 2019 and Lafleur knows it. He earned his paycheck.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
He just decided to play at an elite level? So in 2019 he actively decided not to?

I figured he was an older QB in a brand new system and there was an adjustment period as he learned the new system. Same adjustment period the rest of his teammates went through.

Competent QB play is good qb play for year one in a new system. Its not as easy as you think to change everything you have ever done and execute something new in year one. You didnt see Godgers much in 2019, you saw better than a large majority of the league could have done with the talent around him all learning something new.
Yes, he decided to put more work in. He decided to take it more seriously and improve his game. Players do not actively decide to play poorly, but they do actively decide to put more work in and take it more seriously so that they can improve. Tony Gonzalez is a great example of how he was almost bounced from the league before taking it more seriously and becoming a Hall of Famer.

Rodgers' teammates didn't struggle with the transition to the new system as much as he did. Aaron Jones had his best year. Allen Lazard had his best year. Jamaal Williams had his best year. The transition alone does not explain the continued average to below average play in 2019 and then such a HUGE improvement in 2020.

His competent QB play wasn't good, even for year 1 in a new system. It was below average QB play outside of a new system. There were a decent number of QBs in 2019 that could have provided the same competent play. The talent around him was very similar to the talent in 2020. Talent around him was not enough of an explanation for the "competent" play in 2019. The transition was also not enough of an explanation. Adding those 2 things and Rodgers taking it seriously again to improve himself is. He did regress for 2 straight seasons then bounced back in 2020.

2019 he was 13th in passer rating, 25th in completion%, 15th in TD%, 18th in sack%, 20th in yards per attempt, 1st in INT%. This is not what good QB play looks like.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Jun 2021 10:58
So when I talk about why Murphy gave him a huge deal, I am saying it was because of lack information. Prior to week 1 2018, you could easily give the benefit of the doubt that Rodgers deserved the deal. Then 2018 week 1 he has a major injury and didn't play well for 2 years. So when you are sitting in spring 2020, I don't blame people thinking, "Has Rodgers played his best ball and is he on the backside of his career?"
the injury had less to do with Rodgers play then the complacency of McCarthys offense which every DC new they could defend since our WR talent had declined so much by the end of 2015, even though his QB rating nose dived the receiver group outside of Adams was worse, and coupled with the lack of running the ball, poor defense and ST's was the main reason the team lost.

this offense lacked fire power when Guty took over, his answer, draft 3 mid round bean pole WR that would need years to provide it, and 2 years later draft one of the best QB in leagues history's replacement, almost every GM in the league would have been thrilled to take Rodgers off our hands any season in which you think he was a sub par QB, you portray him as though he was a jag in these seasons.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop he was an average QB in 2018 and 2019. I am not going into excuses as to why. That's not my battle to fight. I only lay out excuses as to why during my job performance reviews to justify my salary.

All I am talking about is his 2018 and 2019 his performance was average. He was an 8th to 14th rated QB. The primary thing Rodgers still did well in was not turning the ball over but Rodgers also had multiple games where you really started to wonder if he could get that magic again.

And then 2020 happened and it completely changed the narrative because Rodgers played out of his mind and excelled in the new system. The problem was decisions had to be made prior to that which is where again I come in with Lack of Information.

I am not saying mind blowing stuff here.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:24
Yes, he decided to put more work in. He decided to take it more seriously and improve his game. Players do not actively decide to play poorly, but they do actively decide to put more work in and take it more seriously so that they can improve. Tony Gonzalez is a great example of how he was almost bounced from the league before taking it more seriously and becoming a Hall of Famer.
when Hayward and Hyde switched teams you said it had nothing to do with Players making a effort to9 improve, it was that the scheme made it easier for them do excel, now it's the other way around, Rodgers just like the bean pole receivers we had went throw a scheme adjustment that took time for them to work in well, sure Rodgers admited to training harder, but that in no way means he wasn't alway6s in good playing shape, everyone has to do more when they age to stay limber and keep muscle tone.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:29

the injury had less to do with Rodgers play then the complacency of McCarthys offense
Maybe. But when the under performance continued in 2019 you could start seeing perhaps it was a variable.

All variables matter and only time usually depicts which variables end up being more important.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:37
Yoop he was an average QB in 2018 and 2019. I am not going into excuses as to why. That's not my battle to fight. I only lay out excuses as to why during my job performance reviews to justify my salary.

All I am talking about is his 2018 and 2019 his performance was average. He was an 8th to 14th rated QB. The primary thing Rodgers still did well in was not turning the ball over but Rodgers also had multiple games where you really started to wonder if he could get that magic again.

And then 2020 happened and it completely changed the narrative because Rodgers played out of his mind and excelled in the new system. The problem was decisions had to be made prior to that which is where again I come in with Lack of Information.

and I will stick with my opinion that Rodgers was the lesser of the team problems in both season, and I back that up because we fired his HC, prior we had also fired Capers and Thompson, Rodgers ratings in both those seasons where a direct result of FO mis management, the offense lacked any fire power in both seasons, and while you blame Rodgers for that, I don't, I think we've exhausted our view points concerning this.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:39
Yoop wrote:

the injury had less to do with Rodgers play then the complacency of McCarthys offense
Maybe. But when the under performance continued in 2019 you could start seeing perhaps it was a variable.

All variables matter and only time usually depicts which variables end up being more important.
what about playing in a brand new system in 15 years are you not getting, you put any other QB in the league in there and the success goes DOWN.

and please quit jamming your analytic mind into everything as though I just fell off the turnup truck last night, talk about insulting, I've probably forgotten more about football then you'll ever know s a
Last edited by Yoop on 08 Jun 2021 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
when Hayward and Hyde switched teams you said it had nothing to do with Players making a effort to9 improve, it was that the scheme made it easier for them do excel, now it's the other way around, Rodgers just like the bean pole receivers we had went throw a scheme adjustment that took time for them to work in well, sure Rodgers admited to training harder, but that in no way means he wasn't alway6s in good playing shape, everyone has to do more when they age to stay limber and keep muscle tone.
Not an accurate take on what is being said or what was said.

The statement is the the transition to a new scheme is the reasoning behind Rodgers' average play in 2019. I say that is a reason, but a small one. It's the transition, not the scheme itself. The scheme itself led to other players improving from 2018 to 2019.

LaFleur's and his scheme absolutely the biggest reason behind the TEAMS greater success compared to McCarthy. LaFleur's scheme is also A reason behind the improve of Rodgers. Hayward and Hyde switching teams is also a reason behind their improved play.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Rodgers' teammates didn't struggle with the transition to the new system as much as he did. Aaron Jones had his best year. Allen Lazard had his best year. Jamaal Williams had his best year. The transition alone does not explain the continued average to below average play in 2019 and then such a HUGE improvement in 2020.

His competent QB play wasn't good, even for year 1 in a new system. It was below average QB play outside of a new system. There were a decent number of QBs in 2019 that could have provided the same competent play. The talent around him was very similar to the talent in 2020. Talent around him was not enough of an explanation for the "competent" play in 2019. The transition was also not enough of an explanation. Adding those 2 things and Rodgers taking it seriously again to improve himself is. He did regress for 2 straight seasons then bounced back in 2020.

2019 he was 13th in passer rating, 25th in completion%, 15th in TD%, 18th in sack%, 20th in yards per attempt, 1st in INT%. This is not what good QB play looks like.
I sure would hope Lazard made an improvement from 2018 where he appeared in one game and had one catch. He still went for less than 500 yards though in 2019. I would hope Jones had a better 2019 when he actually got the ball and wasnt hampered by a coach that seemed to hate him. And surely you recognize the transition in a new system would be easier for a RB than for a QB right?

Like I said, the Packers went 13-3 and made it to the NFCCG in 2019 with a defense that couldnt stop the run, terrible special teams, no TE, and a WR1 that missed a quarter of the season. I think thats because Rodgers impacts wins more than what the stat sheet would scream. I think Lafluer knows that too. I think Rodgers was putting in effort to make it work in 2019, he just was learning something brand new that he had never done before. If you think the Packers would go 13-3 with other "below average" quarterbacks or "not good" QB play, then you shouldnt be too worried about whether Rodgers comes back or not.

The 2019 team is not 13-3 with a below average QB. Rodgers earned his check.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

2018 he for sure made the decision to play poorly. He wanted MM gone and made sure it happened.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:42
go pak go wrote:

and I will stick with my opinion that Rodgers was the lesser of the team problems in both season, and I back that up because we fired his HC, prior we had also fired Capers and Thompson, Rodgers ratings in both those seasons where a direct result of FO mis management, the offense lacked any fire power in both seasons, and while you blame Rodgers for that, I don't, I think we've exhausted our view points concerning this.
Those were problems in 2018, but by 2019 we had a new HC, a defense that was play tough, and Thompson had been gone for a few years. Those can no longer be targets to pin a large amount of the blame for 2019.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:47
a WR1 that missed a quarter of the season
Coincidentally or uncoincidentally, that was the best 4-game stretch Rodgers had in 2019.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I sure would hope Lazard made an improvement from 2018 where he appeared in one game and had one catch. He still went for less than 500 yards though in 2019. I would hope Jones had a better 2019 when he actually got the ball and wasnt hampered by a coach that seemed to hate him. And surely you recognize the transition in a new system would be easier for a RB than for a QB right?

Like I said, the Packers went 13-3 and made it to the NFCCG in 2019 with a defense that couldnt stop the run, terrible special teams, no TE, and a WR1 that missed a quarter of the season. I think thats because Rodgers impacts wins more than what the stat sheet would scream. I think Lafluer knows that too. I think Rodgers was putting in effort to make it work in 2019, he just was learning something brand new that he had never done before. If you think the Packers would go 13-3 with other "below average" quarterbacks or "not good" QB play, then you shouldnt be too worried about whether Rodgers comes back or not.

The 2019 team is not 13-3 with a below average QB. Rodgers earned his check.
LaFleur is the major reasoning behind the team success from 2018 to 2019. TEAM SUCCESS. An average QB wasn't. It was still football, while the system was new the fundamentals of football were not. There were fundamental good QB play that Rodgers was struggling with in 2019 that can not be explained by a new scheme or talent. Rodgers' play had regress 2 years in a row. His play was average/competent as I said all along, there were a good number of QBs in the league in 2019 that could have provided the same competent/average QB play. I am worried about Rodgers coming back because he improved his play in 2020 and was awesome.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:46
Yoop wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Not an accurate take on what is being said or what was said.

The statement is the the transition to a new scheme is the reasoning behind Rodgers' average play in 2019. I say that is a reason, but a small one. It's the transition, not the scheme itself. The scheme itself led to other players improving from 2018 to 2019.

LaFleur's and his scheme absolutely the biggest reason behind the TEAMS greater success compared to McCarthy. LaFleur's scheme is also A reason behind the improve of Rodgers. Hayward and Hyde switching teams is also a reason behind their improved play.
the reason others improved is due to the only direction for them to go was UP, Rodgers struggles was there reward

lis, here I go being redundent again, but you just wont accept the reality that old dogs don't learn new tricks fast, you take a player like MVS, of course he's bound to improve it being his 3rd year in the NFL in a scheme that makes it easier to do well, thats not the same this for the player that runs the scheme.

you know this stuff, yet refuse to acknowlege it's truths, it was the same story with Hayward and Hyde, they fit a scheme better, but also busted there butt to make sure they would, same think with Rodgers in the 019 off season

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:51
Drj820 wrote:
a WR1 that missed a quarter of the season
Coincidentally or uncoincidentally, that was the best 4-game stretch Rodgers had in 2019.
:clap:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:49
2018 he for sure made the decision to play poorly. He wanted MM gone and made sure it happened.
I think in 2018 he played on one leg and couldnt be houdini anymore and the weaknesses of MMs schemes were further exposed when Rodgers couldnt extend plays like he had made a living doing. Sure, he gave up on plays, got frustrated, and threw the ball in the dirt a lot. But i saw effort from the one legged QB that played all 16 games. I believe a season of no actual practice takes more of a toll on a QB than what was accounted for by his critics.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:49
so then why is it then that everyone seems to have a beef with Rodgers, he took it upon himself to do what the FO had failed to do for going on 3 years, imho we would have been better off had Rodgers run the team after we lost to Seattle in that 2015 play off.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:45
go pak go wrote:
08 Jun 2021 11:39
Yoop wrote:

what about playing in a brand new system in 15 years are you not getting, you put any other QB in the league in there and the success goes DOWN.

and please quit jamming your analytic mind into everything as though I just fell off the turnup truck last night, talk about insulting, I've probably forgotten more about football then you'll ever know s a
I don't jam my analytic mind onto you. But I will correct when you mess up seasons or write incorrect facts, dates, stats, etc. to try and support your narratives.

I want to live in an age where facts still matter. I know it's just football so it shouldn't be taken as serious, but my goodness how can we formulate opinions if we aren't confident the information we are formulating our opinions are correct. That's what this forum is about. To learn from others and get others' takes on things.

This forum is not about typing incorrect information to support a narrative regarding WR #2 is the source of all Packers problems since 2015.
Yoop wrote: