Official 2020 Draft Thread - Day 2 - NO SPOILERS!!!

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:53
I don't want it to get twisted. I am disappointed. I just think too many people are apoplectic
I just hate the loser mentality of the draft so far.

This is not an organization focused on going and winning the game in front of them. That is important when you have one of the best qbs of all time.
The Ravens went 14-2 with the league's top rushing attack. Then they got bulldozed by the Titans power-rushing attack. We drafted the only power back in the draft and we have a loser mentality?

I want more team speed and I want another WR as much as anyone. Literally. I've been pushing for speed SO HARD all offseason. But the team is looking to be the type of offense that can beat you any way they want--speed, power... passing, running... Rodgers, Jones/Dillon...

They're looking for matchups and Dillon is high on my board because he offers something few other guys do in this draft. That's why Ruggs was my top WR. Jeudy and Lamb were better or safer, but Ruggs just flat had a trait no one else does with his speed and stop/start. Dillon is the only RB in this draft over 130 pounds, and he also has long speed that is better than most RBs.

We're finding traits that are rare, even if the player isn't necessarily special, which I'm not sure Dillon ever will be.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:00
paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:54
7 more until you are all mad for the 3rd time.
Not if we get Tyler Johnson. :)
I'm gonna have to look again and see if I come around on him. Another guy I thought was more of a 4th and a typical "Packers fans overrate their Big Ten JAGs" in my book. But I might be too harsh and dismissive because of that bias.

He, at least, would be a WR people can hold onto.

I'm still hoping for a move back so that we can get more guys

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:58
NCF wrote:
Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:52

Yeah, Rodgers is noted for throwing to rookie receivers too, right?
Yeah, drafting a WR wasn't about a "starter" this year. A guy could probably contribute something, but rookie WR's take time... always. People just want to vent now.
https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-footba ... nasty-2020

First article came up on google and just last years rookies - top 5 all impacted there team. Some in the 2nd round.
Did you read the first sentence? It was historically good production from that class. That is not the norm.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:52
Drj820 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:46

Umm, there were starters available at WR all the way up till about pick 60 whenever mims was picked. This draft was known to be one of the most loaded ever through 2 rounds. Packers have drafted two back ups though for those keeping score at home.
Yeah, Rodgers is noted for throwing to rookie receivers too, right?
Yeah, drafting a WR wasn't about a "starter" this year. A guy could probably contribute something, but rookie WR's take time... always. People just want to vent now.
was it Rodgers or McCarthy that decided to short rep Cobb as a rookie, imo it was McCarthy, he was the conservative one, Shenault could have started in the slot by mid season, lots of receivers contribute year one, and like all players, get better year after year usually of there rookie contract, McCarthy instilled the mistake free and conservative mind set with Rodgers, and wanted the receivers to know every route from all of X Y and slot positions, hopefully MLF wont be so strengent

Criticuria
Reactions:

Post by Criticuria »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:51
What was the biggest problem on offense?

I would argue it wasn't WR or TE or even AR (at times).

They had a serious 3 n out problem. Related, they had a serious 3rd down problem.

WR and TE talent has widely been diagnosed as the root of those problems. And (somewhat hushed) AR.

I think they have addressed those problems better than people think thus far.
That sounds right. As for WR value...
  • Lazard and Shephard are 24, and Lazard (& maybe Shep) is going to be more productive this Fall (with A-Rod's trust) than any of the draft picks available when we took Love.
    25 year old Devin Funchess is a 6'4", 225 target.
    Sternberger should come on this Fall if he's going to be anything.
I like our picks so far. It's important to have a capable backup for an aging staring QB, and adding a non-fat version of Eddie Lacy to spell AJ and reduce our rep as a finesse team... that's good.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

We drafted 2 back ups with our most important picks - we have not got value or impact - there is no spinning this into a positive. It has been stupid. We will be wasting the cheap years of having a rookie deal qb as he sits behind Rodgers not allowing us to use cap to grow the team.

We have a slow footed big back in a passing league that will need a good oline opening holes.

This is really one of those stupid "aww back in the old days we pound the rock and groom the qb".

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:03
BF004 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:00
paco wrote:
7 more until you are all mad for the 3rd time.
Not if we get Tyler Johnson. :)
I'm gonna have to look again and see if I come around on him. Another guy I thought was more of a 4th and a typical "Packers fans overrate their Big Ten JAGs" in my book. But I might be too harsh and dismissive because of that bias.

He, at least, would be a WR people can hold onto.

I'm still hoping for a move back so that we can get more guys
I do not watch enough college football to have any bias whatsoever to Big Ten players. If anything, I feel like I shy away from them in preference of the SEC.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Yoop wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:04
was it Rodgers or McCarthy that decided to short rep Cobb as a rookie, imo it was McCarthy, he was the conservative one
That's a tough comparison because we had Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Jordy.

Read More. Post Less.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

NCF wrote:
bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:58
NCF wrote:

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-footba ... nasty-2020

First article came up on google and just last years rookies - top 5 all impacted there team. Some in the 2nd round.
Did you read the first sentence? It was historically good production from that class. That is not the norm.
And this is said to have much better talent and that class was poor?

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:01
bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:55
YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 21:53
I don't want it to get twisted. I am disappointed. I just think too many people are apoplectic
I just hate the loser mentality of the draft so far.

This is not an organization focused on going and winning the game in front of them. That is important when you have one of the best qbs of all time.
The Ravens went 14-2 with the league's top rushing attack. Then they got bulldozed by the Titans power-rushing attack. We drafted the only power back in the draft and we have a loser mentality?

I want more team speed and I want another WR as much as anyone. Literally. I've been pushing for speed SO HARD all offseason. But the team is looking to be the type of offense that can beat you any way they want--speed, power... passing, running... Rodgers, Jones/Dillon...

They're looking for matchups and Dillon is high on my board because he offers something few other guys do in this draft. That's why Ruggs was my top WR. Jeudy and Lamb were better or safer, but Ruggs just flat had a trait no one else does with his speed and stop/start. Dillon is the only RB in this draft over 130 pounds, and he also has long speed that is better than most RBs.

We're finding traits that are rare, even if the player isn't necessarily special, which I'm not sure Dillon ever will be.
To add to that, the team GB couldn't get past in the NFC... ran them over. In the NFCCG they were run over as bad as a team EVER has been.

If I'm MLF, I think one of the biggest takeaways from the season where there was a ton of potential left on the field is that they need to throw it to RB's way more. Jones especially. Running him less and throwing to him more, assuming you could replace his rushing production, would be a way I'd want to go. The games they went that way were some of the best games GB had offensively all season.
Last edited by Waldo on 24 Apr 2020 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

EQ and MVS will fly past Dantzler.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

So what WR do the Raiders take now?
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Greenard is the first pick I can say I had no idea who he was. Usually happens a bit later for me.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

If Gutey takes the Dayton TE next ........... :swear: :thwap:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:05
And this is said to have much better talent and that class was poor?
Deeper talent. Big difference. Ruggs, Lamb, and Jeudy was your high-end talent.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Dang, I'm sick of the Pats trading in a couple picks before we pick. Few teams are looking to move up. They're robbing us of our trade back value!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:10
If Gutey takes the Dayton TE next ........... :swear: :thwap:
I'd be probably the only one on this forum that would be good with it.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:09
Greenard is the first pick I can say I had no idea who he was. Usually happens a bit later for me.
Oh I love the guy; fits well with what we and the Ravens like to do/draft. We just have no need for him with Z, Preston, and Gary. I've been telling my Ravens fan friends he'd be a match for them for a while. He'll need to develop, but he's a bigger EDGE who does great hand-fighting and can turn the corner.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:05
Yoop wrote:
was it Rodgers or McCarthy that decided to short rep Cobb as a rookie, imo it was McCarthy, he was the conservative one
That's a tough comparison because we had Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Jordy.
Cobb was better then Driver and Jones before he laced up his cleats imo, I understand you don't want your receivers to make costly mistakes, it can cause picks so they need to know the routes, but they shouldn't have to know the whole play book to get on the field.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The Ravens are drafting based on Lupe's mock.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.