Round 1 (26) - Jordan Love, QB Utah State

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

dsr
Reactions:

Post by dsr »

In spite of 15 pages of mostly negative reaction, I d0n't see any difference in this pick to the Rodgers pick in 2005. OK, Favre may have appeared to be closer to retirement, but in fact he played five more (mostly) good years, including two where he came very close to the Superbowl.

And yes, if we had picked the "contribute now" sort of first round pick that many people want, rather than the "future hall of fame" first round pick that I prefer, then it's possible that in 2007 that 2005 first round pick might have pushed us over the edge into the Superbowl. But he might not, and he wouldn't have thrown those passes in Superbowl 2010.

Redgers was not seen as a future hall of famer in 2005. He wasn't passed over by 24 or so GMs because they knew he was future hall of fame but they decided they didn't need a hall of fame QB at the time. They passed him over because they weren't confident he was that good.

The main purpose of the first round pick is to pick someone who will be in the Hall of Fame. There will only be about 5 of them in each draft, so they aren't easy to find. But they are the big big difference makers, especially at QB.

Rodgers contributed literally nothing for his first three years. Did we even win a game where he contributed? And yet the pick was not a draft bust.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

This pick will define Gutey's career. It will be absolutely brilliant or the crushing end of 3 decades of HOF QB play. There is no other way this pick will play out.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

You just never know how Jordan Love will work out until the story plays out .............. I try to forget Rich Campbell (a first round QB Packers draft pick) but I can't seem to forget.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

The nice thing about shunning the draft for ~48 hours is you get to see our Day 1 -and- Day 2 picks together.

So if you have a decent first three rounds, a pick from those that you don't like doesn't ruin it too much. Conversely, if it was a lousy Days 1 and 2, at least you were not sitting and watching anxiously only to have it all ruined with dumb picks.

I did notice Green Bay Packers & Rodgers trending on Twitter and managed to avert my eyes from reading anything more, but definitely wondered, "uh oh, did we draft a QB?!"

When I first saw the pick, for a second thought I it was the ILB named Jordyn (Something-Something) and got a little excited. Then saw "QB" and was like, '... oh. So we DID draft a QB. LOL GUTE!"

Anyway, yeah, this pick basically sucks IMO. More thoughts later...
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I wonder if the issue here is because Gute and MLF are drafting players that nobody thought we would in numerous mocks outside of Love? I suppose it is questionable taking a kid too early according to draftniks but in the end once they start to play and if they produce nobody really cares what round they were taken. I'd rather just find good players and not wring my hands over when they were picked.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

So if the 2020-2021 season is cancelled due to SARS-COV-2 (I call it by that name rather than the other two much more common names because I am the absolute worst), are players' existing contracts 'tolled' for the year and continue on as normal the next season?

Because one of the only ways this pick is defensible to me is if that is not the case and 2020-2021 is a lost year on Rodgers's contract, which I doubt would be how the league will handle this in the (likely, IMO) event that there is no football this season.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 08:48
Pugger wrote:
24 Apr 2020 00:17
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 23:47
Serious question though:

Would Rodgers be a better mentor than Favre?

If we're honest with ourselves, I don't think so. We're bias as fans go, but rumor or not... I just do not see Rodgers in that role at all.
Someone asked AR how he would feel if GB takes a QB and he said he'd treat that kid a hell of lot better than Favre did to him.
I hope so.

Rodgers certainly can empathize, but he also has to realize (because he was in those shoes) that the benefit of the doubt will always default to the old star.

Remember, Rodgers CLEARLY outplayed Brett in the '07 preseason. And Brett actually showed up that year to camp and some offseason stuff. And he played really bad weeks 1-2. If you could go back in time and read threads from weeks 1-2 of '07, you'd see many were on the bandwagon of benching Brett in favor of AR. Week 3 he lit it up and turned back on his old self, and that was all forgotten.

Rodgers will not lose his job unless he just can't get it done anymore, even then certainly he will have a very long leash.

Nothing bad comes of Love becoming a star, even for Rodgers.

And MM apparently wanted to pull Favre in the 07 NFCCG in favor of Rodgers. Man, imagine if that had happened.... 19-0 Pats that's what

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Labrev wrote:
25 Apr 2020 00:11
So if the 2020-2021 season is cancelled due to SARS-COV-2 (I call it by that name rather than the other two much more common names because I am the absolute worst), are players' existing contracts 'tolled' for the year and continue on as normal the next season?

Because one of the only ways this pick is defensible to me is if that is not the case and 2020-2021 is a lost year on Rodgers's contract, which I doubt would be how the league will handle this in the (likely, IMO) event that there is no football this season.
I think there is very likely to be a season. It's so easy- just test every player and coach and ref, and a limited number of fans, before the game, and if they're clear, they can enter the stadium.

We have testing shortages now, but I really doubt we'll have them in 6 months.

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

lulu wrote:
24 Apr 2020 19:10
This pick will define Gutey's career. It will be absolutely brilliant or the crushing end of 3 decades of HOF QB play. There is no other way this pick will play out.
Well, or we could have a Brohm/Flynn situation where he takes Eason in the 5th or something and then he turns out to be the next GB HOF QB. That's a possible other way

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 07:49
texas wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:46
TheGreenMan wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:40

Yeah, but we're talking apples and oranges. It was very evident that we weren't going to get it done with Favre, his playing style, direction of team. Rodgers was essentially s #1 pick that fell. This kid didn't fall, we even traded up.

We were in the NFC championship game last year....again. You go all in and get our biggest needs, which was WR or ILB. You have to throw the chips in. Gute went for future here.
Nah I think in terms of being evident that it's not going to happen, us with Rodgers now are about as far away as we were with Favre around the same time. I don't think it was evident then, and I don't think it's evident now. Both QBs clearly got close late in their careers, and Favre even got closer than Rodgers so far has. Both of them turned into total divas who no longer were playing all that much above average.

Rodgers obviously can turn it around, whereas Favre's story is locked in, but I don't want to kid myself that Rodgers has been anything more than average the last couple of years.
Agree with Texas here.

People are kidding themselves if they think Rodgers play hasn't been as big a problem as WR talent or defense. Granted, he still has flashes of brilliance, but it isn't an all the time thing like it once was.

And I still haven't seen him transition his game to old man football. He's been moving that direction, but still has a ways to go. Only a handful of QB's have ever made that transition and continued to play elite football past 35.
So after sobering up and sleeping and thinking about the pick again, I am doubling down on what I said. I think it was a great pick. Even if Love never sees the field, we were never winning a SB with the current Rodgers (unless we magically draw 3 bad defenses). As a leader of the team his energy is terrible. LaFleur was really shocked at why the team just totally folded up so easily in the NFCCG, and I think he realized it's because the face of the team outwardly seems to accept this type of playoff meltdown year in and year out.

I said it before the game, there was no way we were winning unless Rodgers or MLF drastically changed something on offense because Rodgers can't beat good defenses and we always go 3 and out (or 6 and out) while building a huge deficit.

So why keep trotting out the same old stuff if it isn't good enough? Rodgers needed a wakeup call, and, if need-be, a viable replacement. And now we have that. Switching something up at QB, whether it be an emboldened Rodgers or new look entirely, is more important than giving Rodgers a WR he won't even throw to in the playoffs because the guy is barely covered.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

texas wrote:
25 Apr 2020 02:15
Waldo wrote:
24 Apr 2020 07:49
texas wrote:
23 Apr 2020 22:46

Nah I think in terms of being evident that it's not going to happen, us with Rodgers now are about as far away as we were with Favre around the same time. I don't think it was evident then, and I don't think it's evident now. Both QBs clearly got close late in their careers, and Favre even got closer than Rodgers so far has. Both of them turned into total divas who no longer were playing all that much above average.

Rodgers obviously can turn it around, whereas Favre's story is locked in, but I don't want to kid myself that Rodgers has been anything more than average the last couple of years.
Agree with Texas here.

People are kidding themselves if they think Rodgers play hasn't been as big a problem as WR talent or defense. Granted, he still has flashes of brilliance, but it isn't an all the time thing like it once was.

And I still haven't seen him transition his game to old man football. He's been moving that direction, but still has a ways to go. Only a handful of QB's have ever made that transition and continued to play elite football past 35.
So after sobering up and sleeping and thinking about the pick again, I am doubling down on what I said. I think it was a great pick. Even if Love never sees the field, we were never winning a SB with the current Rodgers (unless we magically draw 3 bad defenses). As a leader of the team his energy is terrible. LaFleur was really shocked at why the team just totally folded up so easily in the NFCCG, and I think he realized it's because the face of the team outwardly seems to accept this type of playoff meltdown year in and year out.

I said it before the game, there was no way we were winning unless Rodgers or MLF drastically changed something on offense because Rodgers can't beat good defenses and we always go 3 and out (or 6 and out) while building a huge deficit.

So why keep trotting out the same old stuff if it isn't good enough? Rodgers needed a wakeup call, and, if need-be, a viable replacement. And now we have that. Switching something up at QB, whether it be an emboldened Rodgers or new look entirely, is more important than giving Rodgers a WR he won't even throw to in the playoffs because the guy is barely covered.
I agree. If this does not wake up Rodgers, it is time to trade him. And in July the Packers can make a trade work and not destroy the salary cap.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Cutting or trading Rodgers can not happen for 2 years as his signing bonus would all be dumped onto that year.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:24
You just never know how Jordan Love will work out until the story plays out .............. I try to forget Rich Campbell (a first round QB Packers draft pick) but I can't seem to forget.
Yes, a lot of posters here weren't around to witness all the dreadful drafts of the 70s and 80s. :messedup:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’d like to also suggest that the Love pick should be taken into consideration only on its’ own merits. Some people are disappointed with the first three rounds overall. But the first pick needs to stand on its own.

I really think the only opinion that I really agree with that is against this pick is 23’s vantage that the guy (under perfect conditions) won’t even see the field for at least two years and maybe 4-5 years. But in every other point of view that I can think of, this is a great pick. That includes that point of view that we wanted the round 1 guy to contribute NOW. I respect that opinion. But I think Love is the perfect candidate to pick for his potential at this point.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:43
I’d like to also suggest that the Love pick should be taken into consideration only on its’ own merits. Some people are disappointed with the first three rounds overall. But the first pick needs to stand on its own.

I really think the only opinion that I really agree with that is against this pick is 23’s vantage that the guy (under perfect conditions) won’t even see the field for at least two years and maybe 4-5 years. But in every other point of view that I can think of, this is a great pick. That includes that point of view that we wanted the round 1 guy to contribute NOW. I respect that opinion. But I think Love is the perfect candidate to pick for his potential at this point.
I agree to weigh the picks on their own, but there's a theme. I like the PLAYERS we're getting. But I don't like the value of where/how we're getting them. And I don't love the positions we're taking. And I definitely have feelings about what we're NOT taking, which doesn't reflect on these players but it does reflect on this draft class.

In the end, I think I'm going to be very happy with the players on our team, but also a bit morose that we missed a chance to get some top flight WR help in a strong class and increase team speed.

But as I've said. I thought about mocking Eason to us in the first. I said before the draft started that I could "talk myself into" QB as the position we draft in the first. I am not averse to this, generally. And I think Love has immense potential and capability. And sitting is perfect for him, and for us.

But i don't LOVE the Love pick because we traded up to get it, which defies my view of when and why to trade up in drafts (to make value match need; this was a value-only proposition). And I don't LOVE the pick because of the opportunity cost. I would rather have had a below-value trade back in round one than to move up for a bargain trade cost and select a non-need. I don't like moving up unless it matches a need. I support BPA drafting when you don't find a trade and just take the value. I do not support removing need from the decision whether or not to move up or down.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

British wrote:
24 Apr 2020 16:01

Great film breakdown of Love. Interesting that the author makes a Rodgers comp, even though it was made a few weeks ago.

That is a terrific evaluation. Some of the best 15 minutes I’ve spent on NFL prospects this year.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

British
Reactions:

Post by British »

YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:51
Scott4Pack wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:43

I agree to weigh the picks on their own, but there's a theme. I like the PLAYERS we're getting. But I don't like the value of where/how we're getting them. And I don't love the positions we're taking. And I definitely have feelings about what we're NOT taking, which doesn't reflect on these players but it does reflect on this draft class.

In the end, I think I'm going to be very happy with the players on our team, but also a bit morose that we missed a chance to get some top flight WR help in a strong class and increase team speed.

But as I've said. I thought about mocking Eason to us in the first. I said before the draft started that I could "talk myself into" QB as the position we draft in the first. I am not averse to this, generally. And I think Love has immense potential and capability. And sitting is perfect for him, and for us.

But i don't LOVE the Love pick because we traded up to get it, which defies my view of when and why to trade up in drafts (to make value match need; this was a value-only proposition). And I don't LOVE the pick because of the opportunity cost. I would rather have had a below-value trade back in round one than to move up for a bargain trade cost and select a non-need. I don't like moving up unless it matches a need. I support BPA drafting when you don't find a trade and just take the value. I do not support removing need from the decision whether or not to move up or down.
As someone who loves the Draft I hated the trade up at the time too. However I think you're being a bit too rigid with your approach to the board. How the board 'falls' isn't just about how it falls to our pick. The Draft is a constantly changing market. In principle the Packers can pick a player at nearly any point for the right price. If a huge value player falls to within 4 picks to a point where you think they are a bargain even with the combined cost of the extra 4th, it's great value. There's nothing all that different about it falling to your pick or falling to very near your pick. Would another team have been smart to trade up for a 4th to select Aaron Rodgers ahead of the Packers in 2005? Surely if they hit no one will care about the 4th?

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Watching a bunch of love tape now. I will say in conference games, most of the highlights are to wide open guys...but boy the potential does jump off the screen. Big guy, big arm.

I asked earlier why he went to Utah State and not a power 5 school, appears the answer is he did not receive any power 5 school offers.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 21:59
Watching a bunch of love tape now. I will say in conference games, most of the highlights are to wide open guys...but boy the potential does jump off the screen. Big guy, big arm.

I asked earlier why he went to Utah State and not a power 5 school, appears the answer is he did not receive any power 5 school offers.
Correct. At least he got a Division I scholarship offer and didn't have to go to JuCo... like Rodgers ;)