Round 2 (62) - A.J. Dillon, RB Boston College

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TDN scouting:
Feet/Change of Direction - Wouldn't consider him sudden but he's much smoother than his frame would have you think. If he stays on shallow angles he can string together adjustments well. Appreciate his footwork in the backfield to time his release into the mesh and carry pace through the LOS.
Best Trait - Short Yardage Skills

Worst Trait - Short Area Agility
BEST TRAIT - Size, Power

WORST TRAIT - Technique

Read More. Post Less.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Thanks NCF - its pretty clear on tape

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

What's clear? What NCF posted didn't suggest anything about being quick. CoD is not quickness. NO ONE said he was shifty.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:20

I wouldn't call him shifty at all
Maybe you missed this a few posts ago. Not shifty, but he is definitely quick (gets up to speed in a hurry).
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Lofty comparison but I see some Jamal Lewis in him. His little adjustments aren't noticeable of changing direction but they're quickly implemented enough to throw off pursuit angles or tacklers who put their heads down.

Lewis was 240 and ran 4.58 at the combine.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:54
Pckfn23 wrote:

Maybe you missed this a few posts ago. Not shifty, but he is definitely quick (gets up to speed in a hurry).
Okay poor agility, his quickness in COD is poor.

To be honest I don't see him getting up to speed in a hurry - when he gets there he has a good stride and is fast but if he is slow off a flat start. If he ever has to make a move he has to wind up again.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:57
Lofty comparison but I see some Jamal Lewis in him. His little adjustments aren't noticeable of changing direction but they're quickly implemented enough to throw off pursuit angles or tacklers who put their heads down.

Lewis was 240 and ran 4.58 at the combine.
Hmmm. I think I can can see that comparison.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 22:59
Pckfn23 wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

To be honest I don't see him getting up to speed in a hurry - when he gets there he has a good stride and is fast but if he is slow off a flat start. If he ever has to make a move he has to wind up again.
All we need is that foot in the ground and getting north and south. He does that well.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:04
bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

All we need is that foot in the ground and getting north and south. He does that well.
I agree he seems to do that well - our oline is going to have to help out to give a good initial hole.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Certainly not a pick I was expecting. Kinda bummed, but hoping to feel better once he gets to bulldozing some Vikings.

Here's the tape: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uPX ... 0fCAQ/edit

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

RBs bulldozing defenders is truly enjoyable football to watch. Watching Lacy run in his couple of prime seasons was great. Or Beast Mode's earthquake run.

Its a great element for an offense to have. Williams has a little power, but not the kind that defenders fear. Nor is it Jones' game.

Hoping Dillon brings the boom, and brings it every week. Hoping we get to watch highlights our opponents defenses getting mauled. I hope Aikman an Buck talk about how defenders are scared of getting trucked by our back once again (like they did a couple years with Lacy). That's quality football to be a fan of.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Honestly, after the McCaffery contract, I think this is a sensible pick. I am not jazzed about it, but it's sensible. We have likely made the calculation that Jones is a goner, which sucks, but there is a strong argument to be made that he's our fourth priority next free-agency and the money's just not there. It's always wise to plan for impending FA's who will likely leave.

And considering what a vital part of the offense Jones has been, it was never realistic to think that we would replace him just as adequately with a mid- or late-rounder -- if we were going to replace him, it had to be a serious replacement, IMO. Yet he can still contribute early as a rookie and sophomore.

My only objection here is that we are making it while also choosing a QB and TE with our other two earliest picks, but that is a knock on the other two picks more than this one.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I like this pick very much! Whether Jones and Dillon are on the field together or separately, they are going to destroy the undersized defenses built to rush the passer.

Bring back the old style O that modern D's cannot stop. Adams and Lazard (big WR that can block) 2 TE's and either Dillon or Jones depending on down and distance. Or 1 TE and both Jones and Dillon. 7 yards and a cloud of dust on 1st down does wonders for an O.

Rodgers does not have weapons but LaFleur definitely does.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:07
Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:04
bud fox wrote:

All we need is that foot in the ground and getting north and south. He does that well.al
I agree he seems to do that well - our oline is going to have to help out to give a good initial hole.
Help out to create an initial hole? A curious thing to say. I would say almost every running back needs an initial hole. Pretty much the only back I have ever seen that didn't need that consistently was Barry Sanders.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 25 Apr 2020 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Not a fan. I hate the pick. If anyone kept up with my mocks the thing I was big on was explosive playmakers who can beat an entire defense if they make a mistake. You look at what the 49ers and Chiefs have right now and they have game breakers across the board. This team has Jones and thats it. No speed at WR. No speed at TE.

This is just another player added to a slow offense. Who knows maybe he will be a good player. I dont see the Henry or Lacy comparison. I thought Lacy was way more elusive. I dont think we will ever see another big back be able to spin like that. Henry is bigger in terms of his stature and breaks away better from the looks of it.

Ill give it A... F grade.

Maybe he goes the Leveon Bell route where you had a massive fat kid coming out who lost the weight but kept his vision and power.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
25 Apr 2020 01:51
This is just another player added to a slow offense.
Except he isn't slow.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's go with the Henry comparison:
Height: 6025
Weight: 247
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.54
20 Yard (ET): 2.67
10 Yard (ET): 1.60
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 22
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.38
3-Cone Drill: 7.20

A.J. Dillon:
Height: 6003
Weight: 247
40 Yard Dash (ET): 4.53
20 Yard (ET): 2.69
10 Yard (ET): 1.64
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 41
Broad Jump: 10'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: 7.19

Other than Henry being 2 inches taller they are VERY similar as far as measurables are concern.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

41" vert at 247 lbs (backed up by his 10'10" long), good god. This man's squat is NT tier.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Waldo wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:55
41" vert at 247 lbs (backed up by his 10'10" long), good god. This man's squat is NT tier.
Almost 11' broad jump is more impressive to me. That's freaking nuts.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 02:15
Let's go with the Henry comparison:
To be fair, Gutey said that neither he, nor MLF who coached Henry, thought of them as similar players. He did make the Lacy comparison, though. Gutey seems to really be harping on the idea that he's going to be a much better receiving back than film at BC showed (few opportunities), which is a differentiation from Henry.

Henry also uses his size and power to contact more than Dillon does. Dillon still looks to prefer to go around guys than through them.

Not to downplay. I like Dillon more than most here seemed to have. I wish I had posted my mock with him in it instead of leaving it sitting in an excel spreadsheet. I got excited/overwhelmed by all the new media options this new site has available and never got around to actually building a mock with them.

But I have wondered aloud to my draftnit coworker several times why Dillon seemed to be so undervalued in draft rankings.