Rodgers wants out

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Where will Rodgers play next season?

Green Bay
62%
Cleveland
No votes
Las Vegas
3%
Miami
No votes
Indianapolis
No votes
Denver
32%
Seattle
No votes
Pittsburgh
3%
Houston
No votes
Washington
No votes

Total votes: 34

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jun 2021 08:08
Just to be clear, "on paper" the Bucs and Packers were the top 2 teams in the NFC and both brought virtually everyone back for another go round.

Anyone else trying to be better than us "on paper" is only trying. Making changes to try to catch us. "On Paper" the Packers tied the Chiefs for the most Pro Bowl players in the league, took the conference 1-seed, and lost by 5 points to the eventual SB champions with their C+ performance and missing one of the league's top OTs.

If we're talking about teams on paper, the Packers are looking down from the peak. The NFC West teams? Just scrappin' and trying to be more like us. We were a specific ACL away from being the champs
I disagree. Under Lafleur, the packers have either had generally very good injury luck or Coach has mastered a system that instantly makes him worth every penny he is paid...and that system is how to keep guys healthy...for the most part.

Year after year under the MM regime whole position groups would get wiped out by injury. We dealt with the injury bug every year. We are now one regression to the mean of typical injuries away from a backslide that has nothing to do with on field coaching or player development. As far as the NFCW teams, the niners were destroyed by injuries last year..is that Shanahans fault or bad luck? Time will tell i guess as we will see if it continues to be a problem year after year...but a healthy niners team is right there with us on paper. Rams with the addition of a real QB is right there with us on paper too.

We have a roster capable of being in contention. Which says a whole lot and is a great thing...but we arent alone with the Bucs on the mountain top. We dont even know if we have the MVP at QB.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 Jun 2021 12:18
Acrobat wrote:
23 Jun 2021 07:48
texas wrote:
22 Jun 2021 22:56
Yeah and that's another reason why just moving on and going with Love wouldn't be the worst thing. If we're being honest, where do we rank this year on paper in the NFC going into the year, even with Rodgers? I'd say 3rd, behind the Rams and Buccaneers. I mean maybe Brady finally tanks but that team is still stacked. Maybe the 2019 49ers come back (although I think it's unlikely), or maybe there's a surprise team like the 2019 49ers waiting out there too (Panthers?)

I really want Rodgers to come back, but even if he does, we're still pretty unlikely to win the Super Bowl.
With Rodgers, this is the last year of the "Window" but nothing is guaranteed of course. Hell, even the Vikings could pose a real threat. I still think it's worth having Rodgers back this year mostly because I think Love could use another year developing and learning the system. I really don't want to set him up to fail because I think he'll be good.

If Rodgers comes back and the Packers regress (don't make the NFCCG), then it's more reason to move on after this year and retool the roster.
Problem is if Rodgers comes back and the Packers regress they will be lucky to get anything significant for him. Trade him now and they get somebody's 1st round pick from this year's draft and next year's 1st round pick too. No better way to retool than to stat with 4 1st round picks in 2 years.
That would be throwing away any chance to win this year and possibly next year. The Packers are set to win NOW and it would be wrong to not try to do so.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sometimes i wonder if Rodgers knows last year was the year the stars aligned and now that the team didnt get it done he feels the stars will not be aligning again and the fight is a lost cause. He may think the window closed at the end of last year.

That would say more about him than anything, but he really may not feel that the ring is right there for the taking next year and that could be influencing his behavior.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Drj820 wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:27
Sometimes i wonder if Rodgers knows last year was the year the stars aligned and now that the team didnt get it done he feels the stars will not be aligning again and the fight is a lost cause. He may think the window closed at the end of last year.

That would say more about him than anything, but he really may not feel that the ring is right there for the taking next year and that could be influencing his behavior.
That would make no sense. We were a game away and only lost a center.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:38
Drj820 wrote:

I agree. Start simple, every year is a new team and you don't know who is good and who isn't, but you have an idea and within our division, we should coast pretty well uncontested. That is always the first battle. Win the division and you are always set up favorably to make a run. How good we truly are and who is waiting to stand in our way, I guess we will see.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

NCF wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:53
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I agree. Start simple, every year is a new team and you don't know who is good and who isn't, but you have an idea and within our division, we should coast pretty well uncontested. That is always the first battle. Win the division and you are always set up favorably to make a run. How good we truly are and who is waiting to stand in our way, I guess we will see.
I dont think this way, i could just see him being that level of deflated. That or like everyone is saying, he really does NOT care about rings.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

NCF wrote:
24 Jun 2021 09:53
lupedafiasco wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

I do think the Vikings are gonna give us a good run for our money. They upgraded their offense a ton over the last two season. Especially the offensive line which was always a weakness of theirs.

The defense is getting a lot of players back from injury as well. I think they’ve got some pieces.

pure homer
Reactions:

Post by pure homer »

The stars aligning thing should be much more this year than last year. Our D was shaky at times last year, and of course the draft last year was not much help. This season, they conducted the draft the way drafting should be done. I'm optimistic our new D Coordinator will be a step up, not down, and if Stokes wins the starting job over the weakest link, King, our D should be outstanding. On O, Jones and Dillon is an upgrade from Jones and Williams, and Amari Rodgers adds to what already IMO was an outstanding group of receivers. And I expect Myers to outshine Linsley sooner rather than later.

So assuming the GOAT is where he is supposed to be, it should be a great season.
What could be more Good and Normal than Packer Football?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Welcome, [mention]pure homer[/mention]!!

:aok:

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:

you mean the way they where in 2011, 2014, 2019 even, and last year? point is everyone of those seasons could have produced a Trophy, in 011 we had a great long game, I think the best in the league, didn't have a short game, and the defense was not as good as it had been prior.
014 if I'am not mistaken was the $%&# glory grab, that turned into the straw that broke the camels back loss
and while we didn't seem to be a 13-3 team in 019, we where a DT away from contending in that loss, I'd think Rodgers new after that loss that our team would contend again in 2020, and we lost that game do to again a missing piece ( Bak) and poor play at CB ( worst gamr King played all season) point is Rodgers knows unforseen stuff like that happens, and it could happen with any team he could be traded to, Look what happened to SF from one season to the next, losing star players to injury changes a contender to a pretender real quick.

He knows this team is primed to repeat this season, and probably next, just needs a couple breaks for it to happen.

someone said we have great receivers, why is it one receiver catches a 120 balls, and #2 catches 57? that cat can't climb.

we had the #1 offense in the league, and according to people here, you can't improve on being the #1 offense in the league, why argue with someone that makes a comment like that, :rotf:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:

It could be both. He feels like if he can't win here last year, he's likely not going to win a ring regardless so he might as well go somewhere he feels extra loved and appreciated, while also convenient for his non-football life.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jun 2021 15:33
Drj820 wrote:

It could be both. He feels like if he can't win here last year, he's likely not going to win a ring regardless so he might as well go somewhere he feels extra loved and appreciated, while also convenient for his non-football life.
That and Brady just did it while being catered to by the Buccs. They gave him everything he wanted which was good, veteran players. It’s so weird what happens when you sign meaningful players to friendly deals.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jun 2021 15:48
That and Brady just did it while being catered to by the Buccs. They gave him everything he wanted which was good, veteran players. It’s so weird what happens when you sign meaningful players to friendly deals.
I don't know why you keep bringing this up given that Antonio Brown and Gronk literally only signed because of Brady and the team could only afford to because Brady's cap number was a reasonable $25M. And it all happened after Brady played out his contract, after Brady ran the high draft pick heir apparent out of town with good play forcing the team's hand.

The situations couldn't be more different. If that's what Rodgers wanted, he'd have offered pay cuts and lobbied for big names to join them in free agency. None of that has happened.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I don't remember Rodgers lobbying to have his contract extended, seemed like it was very short notice spilled to the media that Murphy was going to give Rodgers a 4 years extension, my first reaction to that was, WHY, what was the urgency to do it now, and right before or after it seems is when McCarthy got a 1 year deal ( I could be off a bit on the dates) point is it always seemed like one deal was tied to the other, and now with hind sight Rodgers contract seems like hush money, and he shouldn't have done the deal, obviously some things have happened sense that if he had that to do over he probably wouldn't have.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jun 2021 15:57
lupedafiasco wrote:
24 Jun 2021 15:48
I don't know why you keep bringing this up given that Antonio Brown and Gronk literally only signed because of Brady and the team could only afford to because Brady's cap number was a reasonable $25M. And it all happened after Brady played out his contract, after Brady ran the high draft pick heir apparent out of town with good play forcing the team's hand.

The situations couldn't be more different. If that's what Rodgers wanted, he'd have offered pay cuts and lobbied for big names to join them in free agency. None of that has happened.
Antonio Browns cost 1 million against the Buccs cap last year. I don’t want to hear we couldn’t afford it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

But he signed to play with Brady.

Stop trying to compare a free agent who has taken below market deals most of his NFL career who convinced other free agents to join him with a guy under contact in what was an NFL record breaking deal when he signed it and is entering the year as the league’s highest cap figure by a full $3 million.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
24 Jun 2021 16:25
But he signed to play with Brady.

Stop trying to compare a free agent who has taken below market deals most of his NFL career who convinced other free agents to join him with a guy under contact in what was an NFL record breaking deal when he signed it and is entering the year as the league’s highest cap figure by a full $3 million.
Rodgers could have vouched for him, brown could have been willing to come for a cap hit of 1 million, and Murphy and Gute would have shot Rodgers a metaphorical middle finger and not brought in a guy like Ab.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Y’all Rodgers people make a while mindset out of what ifs, hypotheticals, and counterfactuals.

Go with what’s real; what actually happened.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

OH MY GAWD.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THE PACKERS REACHED OUT TO AB AND AB CHOSE TO PLAY FOR TAMPA OVER GREEN BAY.

THE PACKERS TRIED TO GET AB IN TOWN.

AB CHOSE TB OVER AR.

I am not bringing the articles anymore.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
24 Jun 2021 16:40
OH MY GAWD.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THE PACKERS REACHED OUT TO AB AND AB CHOSE TO PLAY FOR TAMPA OVER GREEN BAY.

THE PACKERS TRIED TO GET AB IN TOWN.

AB CHOSE TB OVER AR.

I am not bringing the articles anymore.
“Gutey showed interest”